Options

2013 Enforcer Apps now closed!

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Ryaken wrote: »
    I have been checking my e-mail every couple of hours just to make sure I don't miss the email. I've been planning to be an enforcer since I finally committed myself to going to PAX East 3 years ago. Cannot wait to see if I get accepted or not.

I wouldn't spend much energy "checking every couple of hours". In fact, I would actually just be patient and hold off incessant refreshes. Wait until one of two things happen: either A) PRD sends you an acceptance (or rejection, if she does) email, B) for people to start WOOTING because they got in.

If (B) happens and you don't have your email yet... wait yet again, only .. maybe increase the frequency that you check your email. She will eventually get back with you.

If by a week or two gone by with people Wooting, and you not hearing anything, it might be ok to shoot her an email back asking if she got your app. =)

Bottom line.. Be patient! (Trust me, I know.. it's tough!)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    nimrodblacknimrodblack High Council of Useless Knowledge BostonishRegistered User regular
    Thanks Vapok. For us locals....how many days before and after the event should we block off if say we needed to?

My understanding is that the Enforcers are needed for setup and teardown. I just want to make sure I am fully available if needed.

PAX East 2013: 3Day Badge and Local to Boston
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2013
    Only your 3 shifts are *required* (if things are the same as in the past) however there is setup work on both Wednesday and Thursday, and the E afterparty on Monday. Most of my Enforcer friends arrive Tuesday or Wednesday and leave the following Tuesday, but that's not necessary.

There are also sometimes some things to work on the Saturday before PAX, for people that are already in the area (like you locals) if I'm remembering correctly.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    nimrodblacknimrodblack High Council of Useless Knowledge BostonishRegistered User regular
    Zerzhul, thanks man. I just want to block it off so someone doesn't schedule me for test support or something equally hard to get rid of in short notice. No one will complain if I don't take the days off.

• Options
    RyakenRyaken Registered User regular
    Vapok

I wouldn't spend much energy "checking every couple of hours". In fact, I would actually just be patient and hold off incessant refreshes. Wait until one of two things happen: either A) PRD sends you an acceptance (or rejection, if she does) email, B) for people to start WOOTING because they got in.

If (B) happens and you don't have your email yet... wait yet again, only .. maybe increase the frequency that you check your email. She will eventually get back with you.

If by a week or two gone by with people Wooting, and you not hearing anything, it might be ok to shoot her an email back asking if she got your app. =)

Bottom line.. Be patient! (Trust me, I know.. it's tough!)[/quote]

Thanks for the response Vapok. I will be sure to heed your advice.

• Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Something else to keep in mind is that PRD may have a few extra apps to be dealing with this year...

It also makes me sad that I haven't gone after the ability to work in the US. I'd love to be an enforcer, but it'd be the only use of my visa (which may be grounds for the US to take it away).

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    Comic_LordComic_Lord Registered User new member
    I hope I get picked because I am local :P The rejection rate doesn't seem very high but I assume I should still be worried about it.

• Options
    Comic_Lord wrote: »
    I hope I get picked because I am local :P The rejection rate doesn't seem very high but I assume I should still be worried about it.

To be honest, the only reasons I'd be worried about a rejection is if you:
    A) Didn't take the application seriously and responded immaturely
    B) We fill up with too many Enforcers (something that to my knowledge has never happened... yet).

Thanks Vapok. For us locals....how many days before and after the event should we block off if say we needed to?

My understanding is that the Enforcers are needed for setup and teardown. I just want to make sure I am fully available if needed.

If you get accepted in, I learned the hard way that it's TOUGH being a local Enforcer. The first year I Enforced (PAX East 2010) I told myself I'd take public transportation. It works great accept for the fact that it closes early in relation to PAX closing. It also adds nearly an hour each way to your day.

The second year, I told myself, "OK I'll drive in and park" and that ended up getting expensive, and I still had to spend 30-40 minutes each way extra from the long day of PAX (working or just browsing the show). It probably doesn't help that I also got a flat tire that year on Sunday night making that night even longer.

So last year, I ended up staying at the hotel from Wednesday through Monday morning. That was THE best thing ever. Cause, when you're feet hurt and you're tired, you just jaunt over to your hotel and fall asleep.

Setup and Tear down are optional. Setup typically occurs on Wednesday and Thursday, Tear down is Sunday night and immediately after PAX closing. It continues for some departments on Monday.

Vapok
  • Options
    Vapok wrote: »
    B) We fill up with too many Enforcers (something that to my knowledge has never happened... yet).

Is this because you need more volunteers to fill positions or because with a show this size you can always use more help?

• Options

Is this because you need more volunteers to fill positions or because with a show this size you can always use more help?

I definitely think there is a finite amount of Enforcers before we don't need any more. At least in my experience, however, we've never hit that target number, making it so that we have to ask for people to cover double shifts. This is definitely getting better though, and PRD has done an fantastic job considering she's doing almost the impossible. A show this size is a nightmare, and this year, she's doing two at the same time, which is cray-cray.

But it's not out of the realm of possibility that so many of you awesome peeps sign up as an Enforcer and we meet our volunteer capacity.

Vapok
  • Options
    Vapok...
    Thank you muchly for the advice about the hotel for locals. I grabbed on for the days of the event so I don't need to worry about it.

I wish there was a way we could help her process the applications or....somehow lessen her workload. Is she local or westcoaster?

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    I heard at Prime this year we had 3-4 times as many applicants as enforcer spots, which resulted in many turned away. Like Vapok says I don't think we are quite there yet at East, but as the #e crew grows and the venue does not (yet) it will only get harder to get in.

Also, I second Vapoks advice on taking the application seriously. It is a job. And while it is often a very fun and rewarding job, PRD is serious about the application process, and you should be as well.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    Beker wrote: »
    I heard at Prime this year we had 3-4 times as many applicants as enforcer spots, which resulted in many turned away.

I did not know this!! There ya go! =)

Vapok
  • Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Vapok...
    Thank you muchly for the advice about the hotel for locals. I grabbed on for the days of the event so I don't need to worry about it.

I wish there was a way we could help her process the applications or....somehow lessen her workload. Is she local or westcoaster?

I'm not certain if her location is publicly available, however, I can say she's not local to Boston. I'm also pretty sure if she needed assistance, I can think of a few people she would turn to first before opening it up further (such as other co-workers at PA or some of the enforcers who have been around a long time). Also, I know the tone here may be harsh, but that's mostly how it's coming across in text.

Also if you're kidding, that wasn't fully clear, some people joke about offering help like that and some are completely serious.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    I really do wish there was a way to help. You are not coming across harsh....to me anyway. However I do realize there is not anything someone like myself can do. I just wish there was. I have had to perform monster amounts of paper processing before. Its.....not terrible but not terribly fun...if that makes sense.

So I <<wish>> there was a way I could help. I understand that the situation makes that unlikely/impossible. If I came off forward that was not my intent.

• Options
    I really do wish there was a way to help. You are not coming across harsh....to me anyway. However I do realize there is not anything someone like myself can do. I just wish there was. I have had to perform monster amounts of paper processing before. Its.....not terrible but not terribly fun...if that makes sense.

So I <<wish>> there was a way I could help. I understand that the situation makes that unlikely/impossible. If I came off forward that was not my intent.

If I had a nickle for every time someone offered to help PRD...

She's got her system and she's fantastic at it. If she needs help, she's got an army at her beck and call. =)

Vapok
  • Options
    I know that sifting through the mountain of applications takes awhile, especially considering PAX Aus, but the suspense might literally be killing me.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Enforcer apps for East 2013 have been closed.

http://east.paxsite.com/enforcers

zerzhul on
  • Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    It shouldn't be too long until responses go out, it's usually around this time the forums get flooded. Also, keep in mind PRD is also sorting through applications for PAX Aus, so that may slow things down anyways.

So: Sooooooooon, like everything else involving PAX.

• Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    I have a quick question. If you do get accepted to be an Enforcer for East, do you have to reapply to Enforce at Prime/Aus?

1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options
    gespo89 wrote: »
    I have a quick question. If you do get accepted to be an Enforcer for East, do you have to reapply to Enforce at Prime/Aus?

Prime: No, once your first U.S. PAX is under your belt, you're considered a veteran, for the U.S. shows (East/Prime)

AU: Yes. Because the laws (all of them) vary significantly between US and AU, you have to register (yet again) to Enforce Australia. I'm assuming (read: conjecture) that once you're an AU Enforcer for the first time, that you're considered a Veteran for AU shows.

Vapok
  • Options
    OMGZZZ I GOT IN! I'M AN ENFORCER!! WOO HOO!!!

Haha.. JK! (no... NOT JOHN KERRY, JUST KIDDING DARN IT!) :)

Jesus, that vapok guy is a douche...

Actually, doesn't look like we've had any fresh blood enter the ranks yet on the Enforcer forums, so if you're still waiting... well... continue waiting. =) It'll happen soon enough.

Not one, but two people have sent me direct messages asking, so thought I would quell the fears. Patience is a virtue. and you... my fine friends... have plenty of it!
    SURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Excessive Refreshing of Inbox may result in efffiveitis, a serious, but nonleathal condition that may impair your ability to continue refreshing your web browser.

Vapok
  • Options
    SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    Actually, doesn't look like we've had any fresh blood enter the ranks yet on the Enforcer forums, so if you're still waiting... well... continue waiting. =) It'll happen soon enough.

Not one, but two people have sent me direct messages asking, so thought I would quell the fears. Patience is a virtue. and you... my fine friends... have plenty of it!

I've been so close to pulling to trigger on my plane tickets, but I really want to hear back on the enforcing thing first. I don't want to book a full week trip and then end up just being an attendee with nothing to do for all those extra days.

I'm trying to be patient! =)

• Options
    Swae wrote: »

I've been so close to pulling to trigger on my plane tickets, but I really want to hear back on the enforcing thing first. I don't want to book a full week trip and then end up just being an attendee with nothing to do for all those extra days.

I'm trying to be patient! =)

If you're already coming to PAX as an attendee, I would go ahead and book plane tickets, especially if the price is right. If you DO end up getting into the Enforcers, then you'll have something to do. If you don't, it's not like a wasted trip. There's plenty to see and do in Boston, and you'll enjoy a day or two of rest before and after PAX.

Vapok
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Well, being at PAX has plenty to do if you've never been. ^_^
    It's a different world altogether.

But yeah, my F5 button's wearing out.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    RyakenRyaken Registered User regular
    Oh my word I am excite my good ladies and gentlemen.

• Options
    I've been informed that I have been slightly misinformed. Apologies ahead of time.

You will not receive a rejection confirmation. Just an acceptance confirmation.

This means that you might have applied, but never hear anything, which I'm sure there are reasons for that.

What this means is that you need to make your plans regardless of whether you're accepted or not. I mean, in my heart, I already accept you, cause you're awesome for just applying, but with sign ups being closed, good bet that we have more than enough applicants.

What trying to say is... Keep expectations in check. =)

Don't let waiting for Enforcer Confirmation keep you from making travel plans.

Good Luck and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Vapok
  • Options
    MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    and may the odds be ever in your favor!

Oh my.... I want to enforce and all, but I sure hope it doesn't come to THAT!

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
  • Options

Oh... you mean... nobody ever told you why they need new enforcers every PAX?

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Oh... you mean... nobody ever told you why they need new enforcers every PAX?

Awwwwkward

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    I got an e-mail form the Penny Arcade forums and got super excited, but then it turned out I just got promoted as a member :P

• Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Unless something has changed since 2011, you'll get the email directly from PRD (klindsay at penny dash arcade dot com)

JfqWFk8.png
  • Options
    Comic_Lord wrote: »
    I got an e-mail form the Penny Arcade forums and got super excited, but then it turned out I just got promoted as a member :P

I got the same email... I'm not entirely sure what that was about.. I blame @zerzhul

Vapok
  • Options
    There's a thread in the circus about it.

If you got an email, it's likely dependent on your notification settings. This is also a good time to remind everyone that the Circus is the place to talk about forum-wide user issues :)

• Options
    Woah, life outside of the PAX forum? .. I mean, Thanks @zerzhul.. we'll try to stay on topic.

Vapok
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    Man, I knew I shouldn't have used @Zerzul and @Vapok as references on my application ...

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    Man, I knew I shouldn't have used @Zerzul and @Vapok as references on my application ...

Well, at least you spelled MY handle right....

Vapok
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    meh, I'm used to IRC letting me autocomplete on @Zerzhul :)

I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    OMGZZZ I GOT IN! I'M AN ENFORCER!! WOO HOO!!!

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Aw crap.... I mean, CONGRATS!!!

now... where's my panic button?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra