Options

PAX East Solo Attendees

• Options
    lutra_canadensislutra_canadensis Registered User regular
    Also going solo. Although I'm not the most outgoing person, I'm not too concerned about not going with people. From everything I've read/seen, most PAX attendees are cool and nice, so I'm excited to meet new people. A meetup would be fun too though.

• Options
    CanadianHammerCanadianHammer Registered User regular
    This will be my first time attending PAX East and I am going solo as well. I'm not too concerned about meeting/not meeting people or such anyways so I'm super excited!

• Options
    d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    3rd year going solo for me. I enjoy being able to do my own thing. If I find something that interests me, I don't have to worry about skipping out on a panel to continue what I'm doing. It really is a cool experience. I've made a bunch of friends there, got to meet some very interesting people, learned some new games, and it really has been a great time.

• Options
    Rise_Up44Rise_Up44 MARegistered User regular
    I'm heading in alone like I did last year, I could drive in from Western MA. But i think i might just take a bus from Springfield again like i did last year, i met someone on the bus on the way which was cool and now i have a new friend to game with. I was alone last year and had a blast, i personally hate having to walk at someone else's pace or worry about getting seperated etc.. I loved that I could just go from place to place booth to booth whenever I wanted. Everyone is pretty cool there and even when i sat down to eat alone just talked to the people at the large tables like we new each other..Anyone Else From Western MA.??

• Options
    Rise_Up44Rise_Up44 MARegistered User regular
    Last year I even had the perfect opportunity when I met a really cool girl and I totally blew it by not asking her for her phone number or email, all the signs where there and she even asked me to walk around for a bit which we did and had a blast laughing etc..then for some reason I just walked away to look at something and never went back the same direction and regret it ever since..I totally get how some people seem to find relationships there it is def. possible..I wouldnt mind meeting a awesome girl who loves to game like me..So a few more months and it will be here and we will all have a blast solo or not..

• Options
    iFishiFish Programmer CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll be headed to PAX East this March alone.
    I'm 17 so I'm probably the minority of my age to be going alone; some of my college buddies are going too, but I'm not going "with" them. They'll be doing their own thing and so will I. Heck, I'm driving on my own anyway.

I'm nervous but also really excited. Should be a cool experience, also being alone in a big city? Yes please. I don't drink so I'm hoping I can still meet others via other methods (Despite the fact that I'll be legal to drink in Canada by the time PAX rolls around). I plan to bring a number of things with me on the show floor. I'll have a DS with many popular multiplayer games hoping to play in lines, I'll bring my Vita and probably phone to organize stuff via Twitter and such. I'll for sure be brining a power bar because I hear PAX attendees loooove those. I think I'm planning too much for something still 2.5 months away.

My main worry is having time to do a lot of things.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You're never planning too early for PAX :) I start planning for the next PAX as soon as the previous PAX ends.

• Options
    EchoZeroEchoZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    zerzhul wrote: »
    You're never planning too early for PAX :) I start planning for the next PAX as soon as the previous PAX ends.

QFT. Its never too early to start planning. Last year I went solo and i planned late in the game missed several events i would have liked to do because of it, i also planned it to late for my friend to come with me. This year planning occured as soon as PAX East 12 ended :-P

Quite honestly flying solo is a good and a bad thing in regards to time. Good because your time is what you make of it, you want to go sit at tabletop for half the day sure why not? Spend the whole day in the expo hall? Go for it. At the same time solo can be a bit bad in the time department if you are anything like me... Last east being my first pax i was so overwhelmed by it all i spent countless hours aimlessly wandering only to realize i missed a panel i wanted to go to (then again aimless wandering isnt a horrible thing). At the end of the day the important thingis to plan the key stuff you want to do because you cant do everything.

EchoZero on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The whole Boston bars/alcohol thing has been discussed to an extreme in either the FAQ thread or the first timer thread, I can't remember which. Anyhow, while I agree that it's relevant, I'd really love to avoid a repeat of that in this thread :) Please try to dig up the conversation in the other threads if you need info on it.

Edit: sorry, didn't mean this to sound like scolding, it isn't, just trying to head off the repeat at the pass.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    Nono good point wasnt really thinking about that zer, just seemed relevant in regards to the post i was replying to. Ill edit my previous post so we dont go that path

• Options
    haha, it's cool, it *is* relevant... just... doesn't need rehashed :D

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    iFish wrote: »
    I don't drink so I'm hoping I can still meet others via other methods

I drink, but rarely drink anything at cons anymore. There's just too much I want to do, esp at a con like PAX, to want to spend time drinking, then recovering later/the next day from said drinking.

• Options
    Mavrick-kalMavrick-kal Mavrick The Muppet Muppetville VirginiaRegistered User new member
    I'm strongly considering doing this on my own, I know the clocks ticking with 3 day and Sat. Passes sold out. I'm 25 and I've never really participated in anything strongly relevant to my interests, Comics/Videogames/Anime/Drawing and the what not. This would be my first Convention, I'm just not sure what to really expect. If I do go it would be completely solo, room and all.

• Options
    KythosKythos Mister. Registered User regular
    Can anybody recommend a good length for a poster tube? I'm thinking of bringing a 25", but if that's too long I have a 17". I just don't want to be carrying around a large tube all day.

PAX East 2017: Badge [X] Lodging [X] Plane Tickets [X] Time Off [X]

XBL/PSN: MiFengXia Twitter: @MiFengXia 3DS: 2423-3603-7854 Steam: Kythos
  • Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Been to the past two PAX East events with two friends. This year I'll be attending by myself however, due to my friends having issues attending due to school. Attendees are generally really friendly however, so have fun, talk to people and you'll be sure to have a great time!
    Kythos wrote: »
    Can anybody recommend a good length for a poster tube? I'm thinking of bringing a 25", but if that's too long I have a 17". I just don't want to be carrying around a large tube all day.

I think the 17" should be fine. Two years ago I got a bunch of posters, but last year I don't think I left with a single one. Either way I think if you do plan on bringing a tube the smaller one should be okay

miker525 on
    weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I went to my first PAX solo last year and had a blast. For me, it's perfect because there are TONS of opportunities to be social, but you can do what you want without any pressure or negotiating with friends.

• Options
    GamerPopJeffGamerPopJeff Registered User new member
    Going solo this year when my buddy couldn't make the trip. Actually really looking forward to it. Family came to Boston with me two years ago and my kids took turns coming to the show floor. But, family duties ended up pulling me away from a lot of the action. Just figure I'll get myself lost in all there is to do this time around.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I've been going to every PAXeast solo since the first. I've always had a great time meeting different people. It's so easy to just start watching various games going on, because everyone is always so friendly and asking would I like to learn to play and join in. This year, I'm bringing my husband, so I'm a little worried about that, but that's a topic for another group, hehe.

• Options
    PRationalityPRationality CinderAley NJRegistered User regular
    I'm going solo, which isn't unusual for me and conventions. Its the only time I force myself to be social :)

• Options
    randy_wreckedrandy_wrecked Gunslinger Harrisburg, PARegistered User regular
    I'm going solo but taking the train (from Harrisburg, PA) for the first time this year. Hoping to use the 8-hour trek to find some like-minded folks.

Cards Against Humanity, anyone?

Video Game Hangover is a podcast for gamers who overindulge.
    Put it in your ear holes.
  • Options
    koolarookoolaroo Registered User regular
    This is my first year going and I am sooooo hyped. Friday and sunday I will be by myself (though saterday I will have a friend with me). Can't wait till more events start getting posted so I can plan more and get even more hyped lol. I live closish so I can just catch the 12.00 train home.

• Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    I'm strongly considering doing this on my own, I know the clocks ticking with 3 day and Sat. Passes sold out. I'm 25 and I've never really participated in anything strongly relevant to my interests, Comics/Videogames/Anime/Drawing and the what not. This would be my first Convention, I'm just not sure what to really expect. If I do go it would be completely solo, room and all.

It's just a large gather of people with the same interests as you and a chance to play lots of indie and new games that are coming out. Or has the tagline goes from the other thread - "PAX is 50,000 friends you never knew you had."
    It's also another place to get awesome free swag and to meet developers and such. There is still a lot of do on Fri and Sun. It's just on Sun, nearly everything is done by 6PM while on Fri there is stuff after the expo hall closes.

For anime, you should totally check out animeboston! :D
    Schmulki wrote: »
    I don't drink so I'm hoping I can still meet others via other methods

I drink, but rarely drink anything at cons anymore. There's just too much I want to do, esp at a con like PAX, to want to spend time drinking, then recovering later/the next day from said drinking.

There are many other things that occur after the expo hall closes, such as the different panels and many different meet ups that don't involve drinking. Even for Fri and Sat, there are the concerts after night.
    I'm going solo but taking the train (from Harrisburg, PA) for the first time this year. Hoping to use the 8-hour trek to find some like-minded folks.

Cards Against Humanity, anyone?

I love Cards Against Humanity! It's such a fun social game that will get everyone in the group crying from laughter.

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    If this is your first PAX, you're attending solo, or just you're just looking to mingle with other PAX goers I highly recommend the Pokecrawl.

The thread won't be up until closer to the vent but it's a bar crawl that's designed to get people together.

• Options
    The Pokecrawl is a truly amazing way to meet people and start PAX off with a bang.

• Options
    Is there some kind of Pokemon tie-in or is that just a clever name?

• Options
    MalkaraMalkara Tampa, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Is there some kind of Pokemon tie-in or is that just a clever name?

It's pokemon themed, with some people in costume, and a series of challenges themed after pokemon, all drinking themed and quite fun. The pokecrawl last year was amazing. (Except for the part where I had to literally carry someone into a cab and to a hotel room after he made some questionable drink choices)

Malkara on
  • Options
    If this is your first PAX, you're attending solo, or just you're just looking to mingle with other PAX goers I highly recommend the Pokecrawl.

The thread won't be up until closer to the vent but it's a bar crawl that's designed to get people together.

I highly recommend this. I went solo last year as my first PAX and this is a great event for making friends. Atlus runs one hell of an event and plus its a fundraiser too, absolute blast.

Acumen also has the pre-pax dinner right before pokecrawl good combination

• Options
    CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    I'm heading down with my sister and a cosplaying friend of hers, but, I'll probably be solo for most of the con unless I run into people I know from when I used to be active in the PA community...Given how generally awesome the Penny Arcade community has always been, I'm looking forward to likely meeting some new friends and having a blast.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I know almost nothing about the series but it sounds like it might be fun to participate nonetheless.

• Options
    Thanks for the info. I know almost nothing about the series but it sounds like it might be fun to participate nonetheless.

You wont be hindered by not knowing anything about pokemon.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    So far, I've gone to all the PAX easts solo and always had a blast. I always get there on Thursday, do the second day of the Magical Mystery Tour, the Pre Pax Dinner, then rest up for Friday morning (well, "rest" being hanging out at the pre Pax gaming night at the Westin, hehe). Everyone is so easily approachable and friendly. Like Will Wheaton said, it's like coming home.

• Options
    BatmanSays5BatmanSays5 Registered User regular
    This is my 2nd PAX, and second time solo. I didn't really make any connections last time, but I also didn't go out of my way to do so. Maybe this year! Had a few conversations with people in lines, and not once did I feel uncomfortable. Everyone is there for the same reasons, so nothing to worry about.

• Options
    Liz SLiz S Goomba Symphathizer MARegistered User regular
    I went solo my first year. Yeah, it did get a little lonely at times. But consider this: when you're on your own, you can go anywhere and do anything whenever you want! These things are what you make of them. I ended up having people to talk to (saw some old friends, just didn't "go with" them or stay with them the whole time), met lots of new people. My recommendation is to wear a shirt or something to show an interest--it can be a band, a game, a TV show, anything you want. SOMEONE will take notice and strike up a conversation sooner or later. I have lots of cool chats with people who see my band shirts and I'm pretty shy most of the time, so that might be your way to go. Also, when you're in line and someone says "anybody want to play a game?", go ahead and get in on it. I have a great time playing card and dice games in line every year.

Don't worry--lots of people go alone. And you'd be surprised how sociable people become when waiting in a line for over an hour. Good luck!

• Options
    PRationalityPRationality CinderAley NJRegistered User regular
    Probably doing the dinner (need to check on something else first), want to do the Pokecrawl. Should probably brush up on my pokemon knowledge. Or have my friend on standby as she plays it more frequently then myself.

• Options
    skipper307skipper307 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm 17 so I'm probably the minority of my age to be going alone; some of my college buddies are going too, but I'm not going "with" them. They'll be doing their own thing and so will I. Heck, I'm driving on my own anyway.

I'm nervous but also really excited. Should be a cool experience, also being alone in a big city? Yes please. I don't drink so I'm hoping I can still meet others via other methods (Despite the fact that I'll be legal to drink in Canada by the time PAX rolls around). I plan to bring a number of things with me on the show floor. I'll have a DS with many popular multiplayer games hoping to play in lines, I'll bring my Vita and probably phone to organize stuff via Twitter and such. I'll for sure be brining a power bar because I hear PAX attendees loooove those. I think I'm planning too much for something still 2.5 months away.

You're not alone! lol Im 17 too :p

PAX South 2016: Time off ( ) 3 Day Pass (X) BYOC Pass ( ) Hotel (X) Costume ( )
    PAX East 2013: Time off (X) 3 Day Pass (X) BYOC Pass (X) Hotel (X) Costume ( )

Alright. Off we go into the wild blue yonder!
  • Options
    skipper307skipper307 ColoradoRegistered User regular

You're not alone! lol Im 17 too :p

PAX South 2016: Time off ( ) 3 Day Pass (X) BYOC Pass ( ) Hotel (X) Costume ( )
    PAX East 2013: Time off (X) 3 Day Pass (X) BYOC Pass (X) Hotel (X) Costume ( )

Alright. Off we go into the wild blue yonder!
  • Options
    AstralMuffinAstralMuffin Registered User regular
    It's my first time at PAX and Boston and I'm not alone because my sister will come with me (she's not that much into games but that way I wouldn't be alone ><) but I really hope people is friendly there (and reading the comments it seems they are) because I feel like such a noob and I'll need someone to ask almost everything -.-" And I hope to remember how to speak english more or less properly -.-"

• Options
    It's my first time at PAX and Boston and I'm not alone because my sister will come with me (she's not that much into games but that way I wouldn't be alone ><) but I really hope people is friendly there (and reading the comments it seems they are) because I feel like such a noob and I'll need someone to ask almost everything -.-" And I hope to remember how to speak english more or less properly -.-"

Generally people are helpful. There's the occasional jerk, but almost all of the time if you stop to ask someone a question they will at least *try* to help :) If you have a lot of questions *at* pax, the easiest thing to do is look for an enforcer, or head to the enforcer info booth (will be marked on the official pax map once it is released).

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular

The toughest thing I found being by myself was getting lost repeatedly and trying to find various places for events (arachnid [I think that's the name] for some reason was a particularly difficult room for me to find). Asking directions was never my thing. The positive is there's no one complaining that you got them lost :)

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Rise_Up44 wrote: »
    Last year I even had the perfect opportunity when I met a really cool girl and I totally blew it by not asking her for her phone number or email, all the signs where there and she even asked me to walk around for a bit which we did and had a blast laughing etc..then for some reason I just walked away to look at something and never went back the same direction and regret it ever since..I totally get how some people seem to find relationships there it is def. possible..I wouldnt mind meeting a awesome girl who loves to game like me..So a few more months and it will be here and we will all have a blast solo or not..

"You were a nerdy girl with glasses and a 'Talk Geeky to Me' tee at PAX East. I was a guy walking with you and got distracted by something shiny. E-mail me."