As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

War Thunder: WW2 Aviation Game (WoWP competitor)

• scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    so I added sliver6 and Joril as friends, anybody else just give a shoutout. I want to learn this game :)

by which I mean get better at it.

scherbchen on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    So I haven't played for a few months, and then I tried it out again. Whats up with the repair system? It seems like they went from a grind that was crappy but nothing crazy to a grind with a huge time delay between ability to have fun. Do they think we like Facebook energy style BS?

Vechloran.png
    what level or tier are you experiencing this? guess I am too low for that to happen.

I'm just lvl3 with the japanese, its the first bomber you can get. played a few games with it, and then suddenly its all "would you like to pay $12000 bucks or wait 7 days" to use it again...

Vechloran.png
    that is weird. lvl 4 german lvl 3 US and I have never run into that. I'm at 166k silver lions with a total number of 34 planes, only played Germany for the first 4 1/2 levels where all my planes where shot down in 90% of the missions and I was going into each battle with as many non-reserve planes as I could and have never gotten that.

did you do the tutorial? maybe that is where my early influx of cash came from.

• LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I'm just lvl3 with the japanese, its the first bomber you can get. played a few games with it, and then suddenly its all "would you like to pay $12000 bucks or wait 7 days" to use it again...

Wow, that is just that one plane. Really don't understand why they want it to take 7d to repair, but that is crazy. Other planes do not take nearly as long to repair. I'm level 7 in the American line and I just now got an aircraft that takes 1 day to repair. If you increase your pilot's ground repair level, and ground repair speed, it should speed up repairing that plane a bit.

steam_sig.png
    edited March 2013
    dammit, now I am constantly eyeing my repairs. cramping mah style!

scherbchen on
    I'm really tired of great games putting in "Features" like this. If there was some sort of daily Campaign, so you lose a plane then you can't use it again for that campaign that would be great. But forcing this kind of stuff is just anti-fun that one one wants all the time, especially those of us still learning and just playing Arcade. But Meh, 201X is the decade of micro-transactions it seems.

Vechloran.png
    Velmeran wrote: »
    I'm really tired of great games putting in "Features" like this. If there was some sort of daily Campaign, so you lose a plane then you can't use it again for that campaign that would be great. But forcing this kind of stuff is just anti-fun that one one wants all the time, especially those of us still learning and just playing Arcade. But Meh, 201X is the decade of micro-transactions it seems.

I get what you're saying, but I'd just swap that plane out for another plane that isn't damaged while it repairs. The plane isn't really all that exciting anyhow, unless you really like bombers I guess.

steam_sig.png
    like I said, never ran into that. either that is a bug with that particular plane (sounds like it) or just diversify like I did. after enjoying the US planes way more than I thought I would I am now trying to catch up with my German rank and then (or rather now because I did not have to switch yet after 3 hours playing tonight) have two different nations to draw from.

I enjoy the bombers more then the fighters as I never feel effective in a fight, spend forever shooting the enemy with cannon/machinegun only to have myself insta-shot. Bombers are fun to try and get two bomb runs in before someone goes after me and then I can do a little janking around to get back to friendly cover or at least put a few holes in them with my gunners. I don't mind diversifying, I'll probably start with the US to get a B-17 eventually but its just frustrating being told I can't play the game for no sensical reason. Mechwarrior online tried the repair thing also and it was horrible and unnecessary, it also lead to people just running off the map and hiding as being completely destroyed but winning was worse then losing but staying 100%.

Vechloran.png
    for those dissing US planes the P40E is a joy....

scherbchen wrote: »

I'm pretty sure nobody was 'dissing' the US planes. I just think they're lackluster compared to other nations. If you like the P-40E, you'll like the P-39s. Basically better in every way. Better guns (2 50 cals and a 20mm cannon), better turn rates, and better engines.

steam_sig.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    The P-39 doesn't get the amazing tiering the P-40E does, though.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    Just so you can see the sillyness of this repair issue, here's what I'm looking at.
    gbTp98e.png

Vechloran.png
    Yeah, it's pretty ludicrous. There's a thread about it on the Gaijin message boards. Apparently it used to be a flying tank. It will get fixed eventually.

steam_sig.png
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Repair costs should be a bit more sane in 1.29.

And, well, speak of the devil.

• SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Yeah, it's pretty ludicrous. There's a thread about it on the Gaijin message boards. Apparently it used to be a flying tank. It will get fixed eventually.

To be honest, it's still really bloody good. It takes damage like a pro, and the turrets absolutely shred any fighters that get behind you.

It just isn't 12,000 lions a game good.

I'm pretty sure nobody was 'dissing' the US planes. I just think they're lackluster compared to other nations. If you like the P-40E, you'll like the P-39s. Basically better in every way. Better guns (2 50 cals and a 20mm cannon), better turn rates, and better engines.

yeah that 'dissing* wasn't really directed at anybody here. solid plane though. pew pew

I just had the ammo belt system explained to me and it is incredibly fascinating.

Suriko wrote: »

To be honest, it's still really bloody good. It takes damage like a pro, and the turrets absolutely shred any fighters that get behind you.

It just isn't 12,000 lions a game good.

Well, it looks like that got a bit of a fix in the latest patch. It now takes a max of 1d 21h and has a max repair cost of 8370 lions. Since you never get 100% damage on Arcade battles it should be around half that each time you die. Still not great, but not as horrible as 7d either.

steam_sig.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I would be all over this if it weren't for:

A) I wouldn't be able to tolerate playing it without a joystick and I don't own a joystick anymore and really don't want to shop for one.

B) The "jets versus biplanes" things sounds, hilariously, exactly like all of the jokes people made about the way the tiering system would end up in World of Warplanes when it was first announced based on the then-completely broken (in fairness, now only partially broken) matchmaking of World of Tanks.

Gaslight on
    Gaslight wrote: »

A) I wouldn't be able to tolerate playing it without a joystick and I don't own a joystick anymore and really don't want to shop for one.

B) The "jets versus biplanes" things sounds, hilariously, exactly like all of the jokes people made about the way the tiering system would end up in World of Warplanes when it was first announced based on the then-completely broken (in fairness, nor only partially broken) matchmaking of World of Tanks.

The only way for jets to fight bi-planes is if somebody purposefully brings a biplane crew into a high-tier match. Matchmaking is based on the highest tier of aircraft you have in your lineup. If you bring a tier 20 jet and a tier 1 biplane, that's on you.

steam_sig.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular

B) The "jets versus biplanes" things sounds, hilariously, exactly like all of the jokes people made about the way the tiering system would end up in World of Warplanes when it was first announced based on the then-completely broken (in fairness, nor only partially broken) matchmaking of World of Tanks.

The only way for jets to fight bi-planes is if somebody purposefully brings a biplane crew into a high-tier match. Matchmaking is based on the highest tier of aircraft you have in your lineup. If you bring a tier 20 jet and a tier 1 biplane, that's on you.

Except when I was matched against jets in Historical Battle, I only had biplanes with me because I was rank 1 in German aircraft.

did they do something to my p40? still hits like a truck but now also moves like one....

did they do something to my p40? still hits like a truck but now also moves like one....

A lot of flight model changes happened.

Try reducing your fuel load.

would that even matter in arcade?

ooooh, those x2 exp are daily.... I like that.

would that even matter in arcade?

Yeah. Its not as pronounced as in Historical but its a thing.

alright, good hint

first mission with 12 shotdowns and some assists with only one death. know what helps? flaps! been a loooong time since I played flight games and I had forgotten about them

edited March 2013
    Well I downloaded this and gave it a shot with my 360 controller. Unbearable. Tried it using the mouse (which is actually how I first learned to play flight sims waaaaaay back in the day before my parents would buy me a joystick) and that was ten times worse, made me wonder how I ever put up with it.

Not to sound like an elitist, but after hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing flight sims with a joystick (I played flightsims before I ever played any other video games, really) I'm spoiled for anything else.

I'd really like to give this a shot, though. And the Logitech Extreme 3D is under $30 on Amazon...but having another wire to deal with sucks, wish the USB dongle for my old Logitech Freedom hadn't disappeared on me.

Gaslight on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Well I downloaded this and gave it a shot with my 360 controller. Unbearable. Tried it using the mouse (which is actually how I first learned to play flight sims waaaaaay back in the day before my parents would buy me a joystick) and that was ten times worse, made me wonder how I ever put up with it.

Not to sound like an elitist, but after hundreds upon hundreds of hours playing flight sims with a joystick (I played flightsims before I ever played any other video games, really) I'm spoiled for anything else.

I'd really like to give this a shot, though. And the Logitech Extreme 3D is under $30 on Amazon...but having another wire to deal with sucks, wish the USB dongle for my old Logitech Freedom hadn't disappeared on me.

Mouse is pretty much the way to go for arcade.

I came into it thinking that joystick would be the way to go after countless hours flying in WWIIOnline, but for as simple as arcade is mouse just offers you so much more precise control. The last patch made arcade much less UFO, but it's still good fun for just to fly around and ratatatat. Not to mention BnZ is more viable.

I haven't spent any time in historical or simulation, but apparently that's where joystick thrives.

Yeah, it's pretty dramatic how much dropping your fuel load down to minimum has on the flight characteristics.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Avynte wrote: »

I came into it thinking that joystick would be the way to go after countless hours flying in WWIIOnline, but for as simple as arcade is mouse just offers you so much more precise control. The last patch made arcade much less UFO, but it's still good fun for just to fly around and ratatatat. Not to mention BnZ is more viable.

I haven't spent any time in historical or simulation, but apparently that's where joystick thrives.

I literally could not even fly in a straight line with the mouse, the plane just wallows around. Couldn't even get through the first tutorial mission.

Gaslight on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular

I literally could not even fly in a straight line with the mouse, the plane just wallows around. Couldn't even get through the first tutorial mission.

Do you have your sensitivity cranked up way up?

Flying a biplane around is slow enough to pretty much to score mad cockpit-shots left and right. I've only had major issues when I crank down on the keyboard for rudder or elevator.

ECOED.jpg

Have you looked at your connection?

edited March 2013
    I think I maybe get what you're saying about the plane not flying right. It goes where you want it to go, but not in the way that you want it to. Is that what you're experiencing?

With mouse movement alone, the aircraft points where you're aiming, but the roll doesn't react like you'd expect it to. For example, if I wanted to fly 45 degrees to the right in a flight simulator, I would roll about 45 degrees to the right and then pull up gently on my throttle. Almost all of your flight control is with your ailerons and elevators. The mouse by default over-uses the rudder which can make the planes move awkwardly. If you point your mouse rapidly to your right about 90 degrees, it doesn't have your fighter respond in a way that you'd expect, or even want.

The solution is to get to learn to use the A/D keys to manually force roll and your W/S to manually force pitch. If you want to do a loop or an immelman with your mouse alone, it's not going to happen. What you have to do is hold down your S key to nose up, and when you're upside-down and parallel with the ground, let go of your S key and hold your A or D key until your plane is right side up. If you want to turn right sharply don't just point your mouse, bank with A/D as you turn.

I agree that the flight control is sub-optimal with kbam, but the precision you get is going to be way better than with a joystick once you get used to it.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
    Good god the economy changes are terrible.

so I realized I had a lot of free xp stored up, and since tutorials and owning Wings of Prey or what ever thier other game is gave me a lot of gold eagles, I used it to get my ranks up enough for the US to actually get thier first bomber. That thing makes my Japanese bomber feel soooo bad. it survives everything, it hits like a truck (3 planes shot down both of my first two missions with it), and 4 500Lb bombs kept me up in the ground attack points too. The hilarious thing is the 6x machine guns in the nose, holy hell it was hilarious when I realized I had those and could just strafe a whole column of soft vehicles or another enemy bomber that wondered into my sights.

Whats frustrating is that the Japanese bomber still has a 1 day repair time or 8k repair bill, this is with lvl15 repair speed and skill level 5, this thing has 4 hours or 2k with no crew points in repair. I like my Japanese fighters, but their first bomber is making me regret purchasing it as I get to play it once a night and its not making up the points it needs to be playable.

I've only been doing arcade battles with my joystick/throttle and its mostly smooth, the rudder is a bit overly powerful at times that causes some issues, but I just need to spend some time tweaking sensitivity probably.

Vechloran.png
    I actually do not think that ground crew skill points lower free repair duration, correct me if I'm wrong. what they do is make your plane repair faster on the ground when you land on your home airstrip in game.