As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    I'd bet there'll be some spiffy magic shortswords and/or scimitars to pick up the slack. ;)

Just have to hunt down and loot Drizzt's tomb.

That would be an amusing adventure, considering Drizzt is still alive.

One of my favorite things about DMing a Forgotten Realms campaign is coming up with new and delightful ways that Drizzt has died. Repeatedly, sometimes.

Hasn't he been reported dead several times already? Dude's probably got tombs and memorials in half a dozen cities across the world.
    Like Ciaphas Cain, he's not dead because it's too much work to keep redacting the paperwork when he shows up again.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    korodullin wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    I'd bet there'll be some spiffy magic shortswords and/or scimitars to pick up the slack. ;)

Just have to hunt down and loot Drizzt's tomb.

That would be an amusing adventure, considering Drizzt is still alive.

he just had a baby girl and his wife has a more important job than him, so he's basically going to be raising the kid

they both left his story at a place where he can be used in FR stories in the future, and unless the world is literally ending (and he even knows about it) he's got no reason to get involved. His friends are all with him, his dadbrodwarf is building a kingdom, even the Drow are cool with him now

I would love for him to make an actual cameo in a module though, given that there's likely no check a party of doofuses could make to get him away from his baby

override367 on
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Is Elminster still alive?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Yes.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Wonder what other characters from the books can show up.
    Gale's dialogue indicates he might have been a Chosen of Mystra for at least 5 minutes.
    Manshoon, Halaster or Elminster in disguise?

Farideh and Vasen Cale are recent developments.

Maybe Arylin Moonblade and Araevin Teshurr are still around.

(I really want to read Forsaken House one of these days.)

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited November 2020

Funny thing about that

Laeral Silverhand, open lord of waterdeep and daughter of Mystra: She's currently in Elminster's body, because she died (horrifically! a building was dropped on her, then she was meteor swarmed, and for good measure acid sprayed all over her), so he gave it up because she needed to be alive to solve the crisis in Waterdeep. She is shapeshifted into her old form, but it's actually old_crusty_man_body.

Elminster is currently piloting the illithid brain-scooped-out husk of Jalaster Silvermane's former boyfriend, shapeshifted to Elminster's old form

if you ever find yourself playing dragon heist these are just funny things to know, and if anyone every casts dispel magic on Laeral and rolls good there's going to be a popping noise and the breathtaking demigoddess will be a slightly hunched hawk-nosed old man (It would be great if they'd included these details in the module, but the party isn't really supposed to interacting too much with Elminster or Laerel)

override367 on
  • Options
    Which one became the new Mystra?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Heads up, new patch coming soon.

The tl;dr here is that this is the first patch that will invalidate old save games. You can opt in to a secondary branch that’s basically the old version if you want to keep plugging away at your existing games.

• Options
    Pretty safe to assume that's also going to break all your mods, too.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Glad i didn't get very far because I'm a complwtionist and assumed stuff like this was coming. Will just wait for fill release now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Glad i didn't get very far because I'm a complwtionist and assumed stuff like this was coming. Will just wait for fill release now.

It's only 4 levels and one act. It doesn't take long to play through anyway, even if you do every possible thing. I've been through it a few times now. Give it a go after the patch and you'll no doubt knock it out long before the next major patch.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It took me 40 hours

• Options
    That's a lot of hours. Maybe it's longer than I realized. Steam says I have 86.5 hours in it, but it's hard to reckon as a bunch of those hours were devoted to modding. I've been all the way through it twice and made another handful of characters that got to level 4 and were abandoned. I was thinking it was about 20 hours complete. Apparently not?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I left it on a few times probably but yeah 20 hours would be very quick. That's why I'm not playing it again until release.

• Options
    Pretty safe to assume that's also going to break all your mods, too.

should be easy to get them back online, since most mods only modify or add exactly what they need

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Patch notes ahoy!

Your party follows you when you jump across gaps now! You can get xp from resolving encounters without murdering everyone! You can hide your helmet! And much more!

Sprout on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    By popular request:

Fire Bolt, Ray of Frost and Acid Splash no longer create surfaces on impact. Fire Bolt still ignites flammable surfaces, and Ray of Frost still freezes water and blood puddles.

Sounds like they're really listening to feedback!

• Options
    Sprout wrote: »
    Patch notes ahoy!

Your party follows you when you jump across gaps now! You can get xp from resolving encounters without murdering everyone! You can hide your helmet! And much more!

Yes! Thank the gods!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Awesome changes

Glad they listened about cantrips and surfaces. Now to hope they listen about HP bloat and height advantage/disadvantage as well

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    oh nooo mods are broken, until someone figures out how to fix them anyway

drat I wanted to start my post patch bard run

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So I just got a new laptop and foolishly hoped it would have a good enough graphics card to play this. Nope! I even looked up Solasta to see if I could at least play that game, but still no dice. It came with an Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200. Would an AMD Radeon RX 580 be good enough?

Honestly, the only PC games I've ever played are City of Heroes and Minecraft, so I don't know if I'd even be able to figure out how to install a graphics card.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Installing new hardware on a laptop is hard/impossible to do safely, I'm led to believe.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    kime wrote: »
    Installing new hardware on a laptop is hard/impossible to do safely, I'm led to believe.

Well, shit.

EDIT: I looked up external GPUs and they're all hella expensive, too. Guess I'm not playing Baldur's Gate 3 or Solasta...

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Wait, would I be able to play these games with Stadia? I was doing some Googling and just now learned Stadia apparently isn't just a games console.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Wait, would I be able to play these games with Stadia? I was doing some Googling and just now learned Stadia apparently isn't just a games console.

Stadia depends entirely on your internet connection. If you have good bandwidth and low latency, it should be an option. It's basically "gaming console in the Cloud"

Not for everyone, but if hardware is a limiting factor and you have good internet, you're basically the ideal user.

Edit: no idea if you can play BG on Stadia though.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

You could probably try Nvidia Geforce Now, as I'm pretty sure you can play most games in your Steam library? You need a pretty good internet connection though and I would double check to ensure that it's actually on the list of approved games.

e: nvm apparently it's only on stadia.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    I have never used Steam either, btw

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I mean does latency even matter in this game? It seems like the ideal application for Stadia / streaming.

• Options
    So I went ahead and subscribed to Stadia and bought Baldur's Gate 3, but my cursor isn't appearing on the screen at the EULA screen. Not off to a promising start.

• Options
    Does it think you're using a controller maybe?

Steam profile
  • Options
    Update! Got it to work somehow.

Also, wow, this control scheme is gonna take some getting used to.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    So far all the companion characters I've recruited seem like jerks. One in particular (the githyanki) I was considering leaving in the cage I found her in.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    IIRC they specifically put the jerk characters in first so people would test the evil options, which are generally the least used options.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    IIRC they specifically put the jerk characters in first so people would test the evil options, which are generally the least used options.

So far I'm grown more fond of all of them except Lae'zel, who is still as smug and condescending as ever. I'm playing a half-drow cleric of Lolth and feel like my character should have more opportunities to push back against her bullshit (it was satisfying to attack the other githyanki she'd been hoping to find all this time).

• Options
    Lae'zel is awesome. Best party member. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Arise, thread! ARISE!

Patch 4 is on the horizon. Prepare for your saved games to get invalidated again.

Also, Larian will be running the Panel From Hell 2 on Feb 17th at 10am PT to show off the stuff from the new patch, which they're hyping up as a big one.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Man this game needs to finish :). I keep looking at it longing to play but I also dont want to divinity 2 on it and burn out on act 1 prior to the later acts.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Thorn Whip in tabletop - kinda neat.

Thorn Whip in this game with lots of height variability - possibly ridiculously good.

My personal thoughts were "Oh, Druids. Eh, why couldn't it have been OH HOLY SHIT THORN WHIP.

This discussion has been closed.