Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

It Has Been 10 days....Scratch That: 0 Days Since America's Last Shooting

SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
America has a Gun Problem. It is happening again live, right now. Yet another mass shooting:
http://www.katu.com/news/live
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Shooting-Clackamas-Town-Center-183077691.html

CLACKAMAS, Ore. – At least one person was killed after a shooting inside Clackamas Town Center mall on Tuesday afternoon, according deputies.

Clackamas County Sheriff's spokesman Lt. James Rhodes said as of 4:50 p.m., the shooter had been "neutralized." He did not specify if deputies shot the suspect or if the suspect was dead.

He said deputies didn't believe there were any other shooters involved, although they are still searching the mall to ensure that is the case.

At least four and as many as seven more people were reportedly injured.

"We believe there's at least one deceased and maybe more," said Rhodes.

Officers first received reports of a shooter with a mask wearing a vest.

Reports are now coming in saying the shooter has been killed.

Allow me to sum up the next day or two's news coverage: Horrible tragedy, too early to talk about gun control, if more Americans had guns this never would have happened

LxX6eco.jpg
PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
«134567108

Posts

  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    if more Americans had guns this never would have happened

    TV Talking Head Counterpoint:

    If fewer Americans had guns, this never would have happened!

    Therefore, Americans must currently have the appropriate amount of guns??

  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Boy if only jon Stewart had covered this the day before.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    If I was kidnapped, woke up in a lab, told they were going to replace my vocal cords with those of Tony Jay, and lock me in a sound booth until the day I die I would look those bastards right in the eye and say "Alright you sons of bitches lets do this. This one is for the children."
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    D:

    Not cool.

    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
    JaysonFour
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    What the fuck.

    UA1OmVB.png
    HacksawEvigilantbowenJaysonFourTubularLuggageEdith UpwardsTehSpectreCaveman PawsCantidoMega PlayboyMild ConfusionZilla360Aegeri
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    "At least one person"

    steam_sig.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    As long as we're making light of the situation, the first thing that stood out to me was that Rhodey (War Machine) lives in Oregon.

    More seriously, as a person whose roommate is obsessed with gun laws, and never answers the door to our house without his pistol, his solution would absolutely have been for everyone in the mall to also have a gun. He tends to ramble a lot on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that at one point, he even made the argument that the Founding Fathers *had* in fact intended every man, woman, and child in the USA to have access to automatic weapons. Sort of like One Laptop per Child, but with death.

  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen anyone say on here.

    HacksawEvigilantJaysonFourEdith UpwardsSquigieCantidoMega PlayboyAegeriZilla360
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I would like to point out there are people getting shot every single day in chicago, LA, New York, Dallas , ETC every single day.

    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

    histronicDrainGored
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    Let me check with the NRA

  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen anyone say on here.

    Until further evidence, I think we can generously assume this is meant to be facetious, since it's actually true that gun sales have spiked under Obama. Weird things effect the gun market, but they almost always have a pretty direct correlation with any national event that's good for conspiracy-theorizing and fear-mongering. Gun sales rocketed after 9/11, too.

    Kristmas KthulhuMortiousInvisibleJaentherShadowfireShadowhopeDisruptedCapitalistEdith UpwardsGnome-InterruptusCantidoCommunistCownever dieDrainGored
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    Let me check with the NRA

    heston2.jpg
    cold dead hands

    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    if more Americans had guns this never would have happened

    TV Talking Head Counterpoint:

    If fewer Americans had guns, this never would have happened!

    Therefore, Americans must currently have the appropriate amount of guns??

    If more/less guns would have prevented this, we actually have the exact wrong number of guns

  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    If spree shooters were more armed, they would be too encumbered to move

    Edith UpwardsSmrtnik
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    As long as we're making light of the situation, the first thing that stood out to me was that Rhodey (War Machine) lives in Oregon.

    More seriously, as a person whose roommate is obsessed with gun laws, and never answers the door to our house without his pistol, his solution would absolutely have been for everyone in the mall to also have a gun. He tends to ramble a lot on the subject, but I'm pretty sure that at one point, he even made the argument that the Founding Fathers *had* in fact intended every man, woman, and child in the USA to have access to automatic weapons. Sort of like One Laptop per Child, but with death.

    But don't you know that crossfires are a liberal myth, man!?

  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Edd wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen anyone say on here.

    Until further evidence, I think we can generously assume this is meant to be facetious, since it's actually true that gun sales have spiked under Obama. Weird things effect the gun market, but they almost always have a pretty direct correlation with any national event that's good for conspiracy-theorizing and fear-mongering. Gun sales rocketed after 9/11, too.

    Correct. Since every single time this thread shows up like clockwork we spend about 3 pages correcting every stupid ass thing the media says. Then we have end up explaining the actual statistics on firearm usage in crimes and why exactly guns have nothing to do with the problems we face.

    Forget facts. if we are going to argue more guns magically means more shootings completely ignoring issues like gang violence, poverty, which guns are used in crimes, *lackluster mental health care opportunities and just freak the fuck out about more guns = bad then look to the man who has sold more guns this year than anyone else.

    *EDIT-Forgot lackluster mental health care opportunities.

    Detharin on
    If I was kidnapped, woke up in a lab, told they were going to replace my vocal cords with those of Tony Jay, and lock me in a sound booth until the day I die I would look those bastards right in the eye and say "Alright you sons of bitches lets do this. This one is for the children."
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Don't forget lackluster mental health care opportunities.

    CorehealerAiouaZilla360
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Man, I'm generally in favor of gun ownership.

    But I would not be opposed to prohibiting the sale of guns to dangerously crazy people or people with a history of violent crime.

    I assume they already do that though.

    KamarDrainGored
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Eastern coastal temptressRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Man, I'm generally in favor of gun ownership.

    But I would not be opposed to prohibiting the sale of guns to dangerously crazy people or people with a history of violent crime.

    I assume they already do that though.

    They do, but people with a history of violent crime tend to just steal them or have someone else buy them (illegal, but there's not really a good way to enforce that at the moment).

    Seriously though (and I say this all the time this comes up): I don't believe America has a gun problem. I believe America has a violence problem, which is unfortunately even harder to address. Our violent crime (and rape and other unpleasantries) are through the roof. Part of that is that a lot of the countries we're compared to don't have the same problems as we do, but a lot of it is just that we glorify violence to an absurd degree.

    CorehealerDisruptedCapitalistKamarVorpalNitsuaCommander ZoomDrainGored
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Detharin wrote: »
    Edd wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen anyone say on here.

    Until further evidence, I think we can generously assume this is meant to be facetious, since it's actually true that gun sales have spiked under Obama. Weird things effect the gun market, but they almost always have a pretty direct correlation with any national event that's good for conspiracy-theorizing and fear-mongering. Gun sales rocketed after 9/11, too.

    Correct. Since every single time this thread shows up like clockwork we spend about 3 pages correcting every stupid ass thing the media says. Then we have end up explaining the actual statistics on firearm usage in crimes and why exactly guns have nothing to do with the problems we face.

    Forget facts. if we are going to argue more guns magically means more shootings completely ignoring issues like gang violence, poverty, which guns are used in crimes, *lackluster mental health care opportunities and just freak the fuck out about more guns = bad then look to the man who has sold more guns this year than anyone else.

    *EDIT-Forgot lackluster mental health care opportunities.

    I hate gun rights issues because I largely agree with the conservative side of the coin

    There's no realistic way I can see to reach the desired goal (less gun violence) by simply restricting guns. We can regulate party to party gun sales, we can trace guns better with databases, and we can better record ammunition sales, but none of that would actually prevent a spree shooting would it? Those are all laudable goals and I fully support them by the way, I'm just under no illusions that it would suddenly turn America's gun violence rates into Canada's gun violence rates.

    The country getting out of its century old viewpoint on mental illness would be a start, also not using the prisons as asylums (thanks reagan), also fighting poverty

    Edit: although the conservatives even here, where they had lots of firm ground to argue, had to abandon sanity because Obama pretty much agrees with most mainstream conservatives on gun laws

    override367 on
    Cambiataspool32InfamyDeferredSquigieKamarVorpalCommunistCowCommander ZoomDrainGored
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    I would like to point out there are people getting shot every single day in chicago, LA, New York, Dallas , ETC every single day.

    The New York Post (piece of garbage that it is) actually ran a front page a few weeks ago to the effect of:

    "It's a miracle! There we no reports of anyone being shot, stabbed, or otherwise violently assaulted or killed yesterday (in NYC)!"

    With the obvious implication that this happens every other day, and thus is newsworthy when it doesn't.

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    Spoit
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    Let me check with the NRA

    The purchase of guns has been higher during the past few Democratic presidencies than the last few Republican presidencies.

    wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Draeven wrote: »
    I would like to point out there are people getting shot every single day in chicago, LA, New York, Dallas , ETC every single day.

    The New York Post (piece of garbage that it is) actually ran a front page a few weeks ago to the effect of:

    "It's a miracle! There we no reports of anyone being shot, stabbed, or otherwise violently assaulted or killed yesterday (in NYC)!"

    With the obvious implication that this happens every other day, and thus is newsworthy when it doesn't.

    The implication is true. People are stabbed and shot and murdered every day in NYC. That was a rare 36 hour period.

    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    DrainGored
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    Let me check with the NRA

    The purchase of guns has been higher during the past few Democratic presidencies than the last few Republican presidencies.

    I was probably being too subtle, I meant to point out the incongruity between the reality and what the NRA is saying. When the gun lobby is going on about FEMA camps and the government stealing everyone's guns and the ostensibly anti-gun party is fine with the status quo, we have issues.

    override367 on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Edit: although the conservatives even here, where they had lots of firm ground to argue, had to abandon sanity because Obama pretty much agrees with most mainstream conservatives on gun laws

    I am not sure whatever gave you that idea. Obama has been pretty consistent on favoring more gun control.

    Sadly almost nothing we do will prevent a shooting spree. There is not a damn thing you can effectively do to stop someone who does not expect to leave there alive.

    Personally while it sounds terrible I am glad the crazies are sticking to "shooting sprees" that get a couple people before they either off themself or get taken down by the cops. What worries me is the first crazy that is interested in walking away. Put a couple pipe bombs in a briefcase with a crude detonator, set it down somewhere with heavy foot traffic and just walk away.

    If I was kidnapped, woke up in a lab, told they were going to replace my vocal cords with those of Tony Jay, and lock me in a sound booth until the day I die I would look those bastards right in the eye and say "Alright you sons of bitches lets do this. This one is for the children."
    Kamar
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I got that because Obama has exerted absolutely no effort in getting in gun control, he hasn't shown any indication it's going to be a priority going forward, and has only increased gun rights. He knows it's political suicide, the only thing he might support is the complete political invention the assault weapons ban because low information voters don't know what that means

    Obama has legislatively been as good a friend to the gun lobby as george W but they talk like he's going to take everyone's guns, it's a fantasy

    override367 on
    Gnome-Interruptus
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Primarily because he cannot get anything worth the political capital through the house. We shall see what shakes out in the next four years. We shall see what else he tries to do via executive order. If anything happens it will be closer to 2016 anyway. That said I would not claim Obama is anywhere close to mainstream conservatives in his personal views on gun control. People remember the stupidity that was the 94 AWB, and bringing it back permanently has remained a part of the Dems official party platform. Every time it comes up we get panic buying, hence why Obama is the gun salesman of the year. Which in all fairness is a rather slick way to get people to both dump money into the economy as well as buy American.

    If I was kidnapped, woke up in a lab, told they were going to replace my vocal cords with those of Tony Jay, and lock me in a sound booth until the day I die I would look those bastards right in the eye and say "Alright you sons of bitches lets do this. This one is for the children."
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    People who are informed know the AWB is political flim flam

    That doesn't describe the average voter

  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Detharin wrote: »
    Edd wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen anyone say on here.

    Until further evidence, I think we can generously assume this is meant to be facetious, since it's actually true that gun sales have spiked under Obama. Weird things effect the gun market, but they almost always have a pretty direct correlation with any national event that's good for conspiracy-theorizing and fear-mongering. Gun sales rocketed after 9/11, too.

    Correct. Since every single time this thread shows up like clockwork we spend about 3 pages correcting every stupid ass thing the media says. Then we have end up explaining the actual statistics on firearm usage in crimes and why exactly guns have nothing to do with the problems we face.

    Forget facts. if we are going to argue more guns magically means more shootings completely ignoring issues like gang violence, poverty, which guns are used in crimes, *lackluster mental health care opportunities and just freak the fuck out about more guns = bad then look to the man who has sold more guns this year than anyone else.

    *EDIT-Forgot lackluster mental health care opportunities.

    I hate gun rights issues because I largely agree with the conservative side of the coin

    There's no realistic way I can see to reach the desired goal (less gun violence) by simply restricting guns. We can regulate party to party gun sales, we can trace guns better with databases, and we can better record ammunition sales, but none of that would actually prevent a spree shooting would it? Those are all laudable goals and I fully support them by the way, I'm just under no illusions that it would suddenly turn America's gun violence rates into Canada's gun violence rates.

    The country getting out of its century old viewpoint on mental illness would be a start, also not using the prisons as asylums (thanks reagan), also fighting poverty

    Edit: although the conservatives even here, where they had lots of firm ground to argue, had to abandon sanity because Obama pretty much agrees with most mainstream conservatives on gun laws

    That said I don't see why it wouldn't also be a tool to use to reach that goal, the attitude that you need to have a gun to defend yourself (outside of areas with dangerous animals) is very closely entwined with the issues that you've identified as also being part of the problem. It's putting you in a mindset where you're under a vastly exaggerated level of threat, which is just going to make you start seeing more and more evidence of this threat when none really exists - and when a potential threat may genuinely appear it's going to be responded to with more violence than necessary (more brutal and punitive prisons, less lenient sentencing and an overwhelming need to punish and lock away someone to keep them away from you rather than doing something to help them).

    At the same time, you're making it harder for people to get help rather than to help themselves through crime and making it easier to 'other' their victims. Fact it is also making crime potentially more lethal for those involved (or even just nearby) is an almost an afterthought. If you're looking to change attitudes, which is something you're going to need for a large part of your prison and mental health reforms, then this is a mindset that you need to tackle and one that can be changed via tighter gun control.

    There may be legitimate uses for gun ownership, but I don't think the 2nd Amendment and self defence are among them.

    It's a little bit old (2007), but this video touches on this point - the more an individual relies on themselves in order to protect themselves and their property (or thinks they need to), the more inclined to violence they'll be and the more violence they'll accept in society.

    http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html

    Tastyfish on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Detharin wrote: »
    I blame Obama. He has done more to increase gun sales this year than anything else. I hope you people are happy.

    This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen anyone say on here.

    I was assuming that it was a sarcastic jibe at the wingnuts who were all "Obama not doing anything to take our guns away in his first term proves that he's going to put all gun-owners in FEMA murder-camps in his second term", and buying 37 new guns and 8 million rounds of ammo each.

    Yeah anyway, shootings. In a society which accepts private gun ownership, they are as a matter of fact going to happen occasionally. Indeed, they still happen in societies which don't accept private gun ownership, but at a lower rate.

    Is the incremental rate acceptable?

  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    You can have gun control AND increase mental health care opportunities. These things are not mutually exclusive.

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I am not sure removing this mans access to guns would have stopped him from hurting less people, much less prevented him from committing an act of violence. Guns keep people from being more creative in these situations.

    I dont get the arguement that somehow guns being illegal would of kept this man from hurting others. America has a violence problem, not a gun problem.

    steam_sig.png
    Kamar
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    You can have gun control AND increase mental health care opportunities. These things are not mutually exclusive.

    Given the information in the articles you linked, what policy would you want in place that would have stopped them man?

  • DragosaiDragosai Registered User regular
    I am not sure removing this mans access to guns would have stopped him from hurting less people, much less prevented him from committing an act of violence. Guns keep people from being more creative in these situations.

    I dont get the arguement that somehow guns being illegal would of kept this man from hurting others. America has a violence problem, not a gun problem.

    I am so tired of even having this argument. Yes if there were no guns at all people can and will still kill each other, however non-gun murders are much less frequent so yes 100% yes guns are the problem. If giving up owning a gun could save one life it is worth it as they are in no way a necessary thing in anyway shape or form, the argument for self defense from animals is not one we even need to bring up here simple because if it can be shown that people live in areas were having a gun is needed to prevent animals from killing them then I think we would be fine with those people being allowed to own a firearm.

    If a person wants to kill someone and they have a gun, guess what they are going to use to kill that person with? If guns were illegal tomorrow how many people reading this really think they could and would know where to go to get a gun?
    The idea that the conversation has to stop at anywhere near making guns illegal because hey people will still find a way is insane. If something is illegal less people will do/posses that thing, it really is that simple as every country in the world that has real gun control is proof of.

    I grew up shooting guns, and hunting. I fully enjoy target shooting, but I would gladly give it all up to have guns illegal tomorrow in a heartbeat. I feel pity and sadness for the people that think they need a gun to be safe, I can't imagine living in such irrational fear.

    Gigazombie CybermageKnight_SyphonBlueJaysonFourArdolKristmas KthulhuCorehealerCommunistCow
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I believe America has a violence problem, which is unfortunately even harder to address. Our violent crime (and rape and other unpleasantries) are through the roof.

    Except this isn't true at all. Rapes have been dropping since the late 80's. Crime across the board is at lower rates now than it was in the 70's. The 2011 murder rate was at its lowest level since 1963. This isn't to say we get to sit back and rest on our laurels, but the actual statistics do not support the media fearmongering.

    http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

    nibXTE7.png
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I am not sure removing this mans access to guns would have stopped him from hurting less people, much less prevented him from committing an act of violence. Guns keep people from being more creative in these situations.

    I dont get the arguement that somehow guns being illegal would of kept this man from hurting others. America has a violence problem, not a gun problem.

    I don't buy the argument that they're completely unrelated though, the UK shares a lot of the problems the US does far as violent crime and punitive sentencing goes - yet has a much lower homicide (especially youth homicide) and suicide rate, and this sort of mass-violence is almost unheard of.

    America has a violence problem, which is sustained, enabled and encouraged by widespread gun ownership and a lot of the culture that goes with it.

  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Dragosai wrote: »
    I am not sure removing this mans access to guns would have stopped him from hurting less people, much less prevented him from committing an act of violence. Guns keep people from being more creative in these situations.

    I dont get the arguement that somehow guns being illegal would of kept this man from hurting others. America has a violence problem, not a gun problem.

    I am so tired of even having this argument. Yes if there were no guns at all people can and will still kill each other, however non-gun murders are much less frequent so yes 100% yes guns are the problem. If giving up owning a gun could save one life it is worth it as they are in no way a necessary thing in anyway shape or form, the argument for self defense from animals is not one we even need to bring up here simple because if it can be shown that people live in areas were having a gun is needed to prevent animals from killing them then I think we would be fine with those people being allowed to own a firearm.

    If a person wants to kill someone and they have a gun, guess what they are going to use to kill that person with? If guns were illegal tomorrow how many people reading this really think they could and would know where to go to get a gun?
    The idea that the conversation has to stop at anywhere near making guns illegal because hey people will still find a way is insane. If something is illegal less people will do/posses that thing, it really is that simple as every country in the world that has real gun control is proof of.

    I grew up shooting guns, and hunting. I fully enjoy target shooting, but I would gladly give it all up to have guns illegal tomorrow in a heartbeat. I feel pity and sadness for the people that think they need a gun to be safe, I can't imagine living in such irrational fear.

    The man killed 2 people and injured another before offing himself. If this was not a targeted attack and a case of random violence, would you say any tool he used in the act should be banned and was 100% the problem?

    What if he used a hammer, or a common kitchen knife(legal sized blade even that is under average state regulation)? Would you ban hammers and kitchen knives because they are the problem? This man wanted to go out and cause violence, not having access to a gun would not have stopped him.

    Edit: The point is that guns are not the problem, because if they didnt exist(not just banned/illegal), he would of used something else. Guns aren't a magical entity that contain evil and make people do their bidding. It's sillier to assume you are safer because guns are banned/illegal.

    Is there a name for this arguement? I feel like you are using some sort of inverse pascal's wager.

    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    histronicKamar
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Dragosai wrote: »
    I am not sure removing this mans access to guns would have stopped him from hurting less people, much less prevented him from committing an act of violence. Guns keep people from being more creative in these situations.

    I dont get the arguement that somehow guns being illegal would of kept this man from hurting others. America has a violence problem, not a gun problem.

    I am so tired of even having this argument. Yes if there were no guns at all people can and will still kill each other, however non-gun murders are much less frequent so yes 100% yes guns are the problem. If giving up owning a gun could save one life it is worth it as they are in no way a necessary thing in anyway shape or form, the argument for self defense from animals is not one we even need to bring up here simple because if it can be shown that people live in areas were having a gun is needed to prevent animals from killing them then I think we would be fine with those people being allowed to own a firearm.

    If a person wants to kill someone and they have a gun, guess what they are going to use to kill that person with? If guns were illegal tomorrow how many people reading this really think they could and would know where to go to get a gun?
    The idea that the conversation has to stop at anywhere near making guns illegal because hey people will still find a way is insane. If something is illegal less people will do/posses that thing, it really is that simple as every country in the world that has real gun control is proof of.

    I grew up shooting guns, and hunting. I fully enjoy target shooting, but I would gladly give it all up to have guns illegal tomorrow in a heartbeat. I feel pity and sadness for the people that think they need a gun to be safe, I can't imagine living in such irrational fear.

    The man killed 2 people and injured another before offing himself. If this was not a targeted attack and a case of random violence, would you say any tool he used in the act should be banned and was 100% the problem?

    What if he used a hammer, or a common kitchen knife(legal sized blade even that is under average state regulation)? Would you ban hammers and kitchen knives because they are the problem? This man wanted to go out and cause violence, not having access to a gun would not have stopped him.

    Is there a name for this arguement? I feel like you are using some sort of inverse pascal's wager.

    Context, my brother.

    Plus, the analogies are silly. Hammers and kitchen knives have other functions than to kill or destroy things. The only function of a gun is destruction.

  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I am not sure removing this mans access to guns would have stopped him from hurting less people, much less prevented him from committing an act of violence. Guns keep people from being more creative in these situations.

    I dont get the arguement that somehow guns being illegal would of kept this man from hurting others. America has a violence problem, not a gun problem.

    I don't buy the argument that they're completely unrelated though, the UK shares a lot of the problems the US does far as violent crime and punitive sentencing goes - yet has a much lower homicide (especially youth homicide) and suicide rate, and this sort of mass-violence is almost unheard of.

    America has a violence problem, which is sustained, enabled and encouraged by widespread gun ownership and a lot of the culture that goes with it.

    Oh hey, I can throw around statistics and make stuff up too.

    310 million guns in the US, 31,224 gun deaths (intentional and accidental) in the US. This means for every 9,928 guns, one person is killed.

    254 million cars in the US, 32,367 vehicle deaths (intentional and accidental) in the US. This means for every 7,847 cars, one person is killed.

    Time to ban cars, they're more dangerous than guns are.

    matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    Dragosai wrote: »
    I am not sure removing this mans access to guns would have stopped him from hurting less people, much less prevented him from committing an act of violence. Guns keep people from being more creative in these situations.

    I dont get the arguement that somehow guns being illegal would of kept this man from hurting others. America has a violence problem, not a gun problem.

    I am so tired of even having this argument. Yes if there were no guns at all people can and will still kill each other, however non-gun murders are much less frequent so yes 100% yes guns are the problem. If giving up owning a gun could save one life it is worth it as they are in no way a necessary thing in anyway shape or form, the argument for self defense from animals is not one we even need to bring up here simple because if it can be shown that people live in areas were having a gun is needed to prevent animals from killing them then I think we would be fine with those people being allowed to own a firearm.

    If a person wants to kill someone and they have a gun, guess what they are going to use to kill that person with? If guns were illegal tomorrow how many people reading this really think they could and would know where to go to get a gun?
    The idea that the conversation has to stop at anywhere near making guns illegal because hey people will still find a way is insane. If something is illegal less people will do/posses that thing, it really is that simple as every country in the world that has real gun control is proof of.

    I grew up shooting guns, and hunting. I fully enjoy target shooting, but I would gladly give it all up to have guns illegal tomorrow in a heartbeat. I feel pity and sadness for the people that think they need a gun to be safe, I can't imagine living in such irrational fear.

    The man killed 2 people and injured another before offing himself. If this was not a targeted attack and a case of random violence, would you say any tool he used in the act should be banned and was 100% the problem?

    What if he used a hammer, or a common kitchen knife(legal sized blade even that is under average state regulation)? Would you ban hammers and kitchen knives because they are the problem? This man wanted to go out and cause violence, not having access to a gun would not have stopped him.

    I think you know that you're simplifying the argument. Maybe a guy with a hammer can pull off killing two people before....I guess hammering himself to death. Possibly 3, in all of the confusion. 4 if someone stumbles into traffic in the middle of it. That's pushing it.

    It's far, far easier to kill 4 people and then yourself with most firearms.

    I'd be pretty willing to take a society that has killing sprees which almost necessarily top at about 4 people in exchange for giving up public access to semi-automatic weapons. Doesn't that sound like a pretty fair trade for most people? The fact that people need hammers for practical reasons notwithstanding, though this is a point that more or less needs to withstand, since the record suggests that we put guns to far less good use.

    Yes. People will go on killing people without guns. No one has ever, ever argued otherwise, but we're making it a lot easier for people to kill people without getting much back out of that deal.

«134567108
This discussion has been closed.