As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

what do twelve year old girls like?

EsiotrotEsiotrot Registered User regular
I have a cousin who is, as the title suggests, a twelve year old human female, I have presents for everyone else in my family but I have literally no idea what I should purchase for this person, it's a tricky age as I'm never sure if what I'm thinking of is too old or too young. I know that she likes horses, in that she rides them and stuff rather than just having them on her bed sheets or what have you. She reads, but I don't know what sort of literature she would enjoy, I'm guessing not any of the Ian Banks culture novels or anything too heavy. Normally it wouldn't matter so much but this year it's just going to be my mum, myself, her and my aunty so I don't want to just palm her off with something rubbish, as is my usual tactic. The final thing is it can't be too expensive because I'm a pauper but will consider stuff at about £15-20, I can always get my bro to chip in and say it's from the two of us, even though he won't be there.

Thanks for the help

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Why not call her parents and ask them what she wants for Christmas? If nothing else, get her an Amazon.uk gift card.

Esh on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Why not call her parents and ask them what she wants for Christmas?
    This. Drop her parents an e-mail asking for a list of suggestions. At the very least that'll minimize the chances of getting her the same thing, and of course you don't have to get anything on the list, it's just a guide.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    She's not an alien. Ask her parents (or even her friends) what she's into and then gift accordingly.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I got my 13 year old cousin this for christmas last year

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107G-Helicopter-Colors/dp/8499000606

Actually, I gave out half a dozen of these things. Everyone loved them or put on really good present faces.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Would she be interested in being taken to something like a horse show, maybe?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    It is truly not possible to know what she wants unless you're close to her and know her really well or ask someone who is

For example, my 13 year old sister loves physics and math and anime so I got her the "manga introduction to physics and relativity" which she loves to death. Now when I was 12, all I wanted was cute hello kitty stuff and art supplies and music. Its just hard to know what kids want

Kids have really, really varied tastes so its always best to ask or, as was suggested get a gift card! Gift cards are awesome, find out if there's a store she likes and do like £20

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    What about a book about horses, or horseback riding, or how to draw horses, or an art book depicting different horses drawn in different styles? You could even make or compile that last one yourself, time permitting.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Just ask. Last time I checked, 12 year old girls were the most fickle creatures on the planet. Better safe than sorry.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You don't know her well enough to choose, so become her favourite relative by giving her 15 quid in a card. That's what I liked when I was that age because my relatives were clueless about the things I liked.

• Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    She's not an alien. Ask her parents (or even her friends) what she's into and then gift accordingly.

In some aspects, she's far worse than an alien.

I would go with the tactic of asking her parents or your mum for suggestions. Also, check on Amazon or Facebook to see if she's into anything in particular.

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    WildEEPWildEEP Registered User regular
    Well....you can't buy her the cute boy she's noticed, so that's out.

But you can categorize depending on her interests:

Art supplies - If she is into anything artistic - a run through the store for paint, drawing pencils, brushes, poster board, canvas, crayons, beads, string, etc.

Music - YOU WILL NEVER GET HER TASTE IN MUSIC. So buy her a gift card she can use for it - if she's got an iPad, iPhone, i-whatever; get an iTunes gift card. You get the idea.

Activities - If she's into any sports - then supporting material for her sport is always appreciated. New pads, new uniforms, new gloves, new shoes, - be that awesome person that delivers the "nimbus 2000" of her sport.

Shoes - She's 12. The Shoe thing starts now. It will not end for the rest of her life.

Books - If she is a big reader - run through the entire young adults section of your bookstore. They've even taken to subdividing out a "Young woman" section - stuff that has strong female leads. Also...they have a teenage vampire/werewolf love section... if she's into the whole twilight thing. Its like a library of congress scale of terrible semi-erotic fanfic but its whats happening right now for those folks.

• Options
    so I've fired off an e-mail to my Aunt, I didn't even think of that...
    I also just remembered she owns a DS so I might try and pick up a game for that, but most of the good ones are really expensive in the UK for some unknown reason.
    if she had an amazon wishlist or even a facebook page this would be a shit load easier, she lives in the country side where the nearest shop is about 5 miles away and I don't think they even have the internet there so a lot of faddy type things I doubt she'll be in to really, art supplies would be cool.
    That Helicopter is pretty jazzy, I think there's a toy shop here too that has them for cheap, my friends had a brief infatuation period with them to the point that we had about 6 of them flying round out house.
    Taking her to see anything is pretty out as she lives all the way up north and I live all the way down south.
    And yes, she's far worse than an Alien, if she was an Alien I'd just get her some Glagnar's human rinds and be done with it.
    Thanks for all the advice though guys, hopefully I'll get a good response from her mum

• Options
    LeptonLepton Registered User regular
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Money. A relative trying to make a potentially bad guess about what a child likes is much worse than just giving up and giving money. Every kid loves money. Going shopping with their birthday money is the best feeling in the world.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    My daughter is turning 12 and she rides horses and is also nuts for these things here: breyerhorses.com

@ceres Thanks, fixed it.

Ataxrxes on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @Ataxrxes I think your link is broken.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Look no further than Dhalpir's suggestion: money. It works on more than 12 year olds.

• Options
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Look no further than Dhalpir's suggestion: money. It works on more than 12 year olds.

I disagree - do not give money - give gift cards. That is their intended market.

Kids with cash can make bad choices - with a gift card you limit their bad choices to a specific and, more importantly, legal range.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    A lot of tweens have christmas lists. Ask.

• Options
    Say what? You're saying not to give a 12 year old kid cash because he/she might spend it on illegal items?
    You're saying not to let a kid make a bad choice in regards to spending their money? What if they want to save up for something that they don't sell at Justice or the Disney Store?

I mean, the Debate forum is that way but this is how kids learn, isn't it?

I'm not against gift cards by any means, but there is nothing wrong with cash either, especially for the things you listed.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    This book sells for a fair price used, and plays to her interests while treating her like an adult:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0521891132/ref=aw_cr_item_title
    The "buy with" book would also work.

• Options
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    Say what? You're saying not to give a 12 year old kid cash because he/she might spend it on illegal items?
    You're saying not to let a kid make a bad choice in regards to spending their money? What if they want to save up for something that they don't sell at Justice or the Disney Store?

To your first question - Yes. Do not give cash.
    To your second question - No, let them make bad decisions..odds are they'll use a best buy gift card to purchase a Justin Beiber product. Thats a horrible waste - but one they'll learn from
    To your third question - The OP is a cousin - She can talk to her parents about a large purchase and/or saving up.

I make these statements because people don't realize how teens afford things like drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol. They afford them from the 50 bucks grandma sent during their Birthday, or from the 20 that Mom and Dad dole out each week for spending money.

I doubt any of this applies to the OP or his cousin... but if you wanted the reasoning as to why I said - Get a giftcard - there you are.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I think this says more about what YOU would do with cash as a teenager than what MOST teenagers would actually do with their cash.

Cash isn't evil and not all or even the vast majority of teens will rush off to Cato the drug dealer when given some cashola from their cousin/grandma/parent. Try not to generalize what teens will do when handed some 20's and 10's.

Also, OP, if WildEEP has scared you into thinking your 12 year old cousin is going to buy crack cocaine if given cash, but you don't want to limit where she spends said money, get her a Visa/Mastercard gift card. I don't think Cato accepts them but most everywhere else does. ;D

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Cash is so lame. So are gift cards.

It's a "here, I needed to get you gift but I didn't want to spend anytime thinking about it" gift.

• Options
    she lives in the tiniest of remote villages up in the hills somewhere, I doubt that drugs are an issue, they don't even have a tobacconist.
    Gifting monies always strikes me as pretty impersonal, and the amount I'm spending I doubt the cash would be all that useful...

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Cash is so lame. So are gift cards.

It's a "here, I needed to get you gift but I didn't want to spend anytime thinking about it" gift.

or it's not that at all...

OP has spoken, no monies.

Fair enough.