As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer for a dad?

Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My dad's current laptop is like 8 years old, and has been dying for the past 2. Its time for an upgrade.

As the person who has to constantly try and fix this stuff when it breaks down or starts acting wonky, I want to get him something reliable. I've never owned a mac product, but everything I've heard about them tells me that's what I want. I've been thinking about an iPad with something like this.

All he really uses it for is web browsing and photos. Its worth noting that he will probably never ever move it (like, seriously), but a full on desktop is probably out of the question due to space around where it will be.

I think a macbook would be preferable to an iPad, but its also more than anyone wants to spend. Onto my questions! :D

Is the iPad what I want? How does the computing speed compare to laptops of similar cost (around $600)?
For those with first gen iPads, how has it held up? Still fast?
Is 2nd gen the sweet spot? Or did the third or fourth iteration add enough to warrant another $100+?
If I went with the iPad, is the keyboard I listed the good one? It needs to be a keyboard+stand. Also, if there are any other accessories I need.

Foolish Chaos on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We JUST helped my mom buy a tablet. Do you have your heart set on apple products? If you are replacing a computer with this you can get a setup that is probably a lot cheaper with nicer specs and screen, it just won't have an 'i' in front of it. She settled on an Asus 10.1" 32GB something something and a bunch of bluetooth accessories and case that totaled about $450.

You don't have to go that way, but if you're looking for a computer replacement in the form of a tablet you should really shop around.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    I wouldn't say my heart is set on apple products, they just seem like the best bet if I want something that will last a long time. We need something that can be his sole computing device for years. It could be that I am just bitter with the broken-ass windows laptops my parents have been dealing with for years.

I guess the tablet market is a little young to say if this device lasts a long time or whatever, but I'll appreciate whatever you can tell me.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My dad owned a personal computer since personal computer was a thing, and now uses an iPad 3 as his only computer for web browsing, writing, photos, etc. So they'll definitely suit that. I would say the 3rd gen is worthwhile for the Retina display, as that thing is goddamn gorgeous.

A tablet should be much faster than a comparable laptop since it's a focused device. I have little experience with Android tablets but iPads are very snappy.

I'm using a 1st gen iPad to type this post and it's lost a bit of its speed, 'cause the OS jump eats a bit more RAM, but it's still fast for all the normal things.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The tablet that Ceres mentioned is a ASUS Transformer TF300 T-B1-BL - this is an incredibly nice tablet with 32GB and a SDHC memory slot, a really nice screen (subjectively), and is on sale right now at Staples (of all places).

From research I've done the Nexus 7 and 10 (various versions) is also very very nice. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 is also a fast tablet with the side benefit of being in-between the normal sizes.

From personal experience with my modified Amazon Kindle Fire, for web browsing, Netflix, and media playback a tablet can do 90% of what a PC can do. The main problems I've ran into are 1) not having a physical keyboard, and 2) not having a ton of storage space for all my stuff. Thus my mention of the huge local drive in the ASUS Transformer series. One thing of note that Android tablets suffer from is a lack of good office/productivity suites; from what you've said about his needs this shouldn't matter.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Apple’s portable computers are typically good for 2–4 years. Between years 2 and 4 it’s typical for the CPU, GPU, or some other critical chip fixed to the mainboard to crap out. This usually requires a mainboard replacement that costs as much as a new laptop. They probably hold up better for people who don’t carry them around, though.

Instead of worrying about an inexpensive laptop that will last, it might make more sense to just get a $250 Chromebook and plan on replacing it every two years.

• Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I wouldn't say my heart is set on apple products, they just seem like the best bet if I want something that will last a long time. We need something that can be his sole computing device for years. It could be that I am just bitter with the broken-ass windows laptops my parents have been dealing with for years.

I guess the tablet market is a little young to say if this device lasts a long time or whatever, but I'll appreciate whatever you can tell me.

I'm confused. Your father's current laptop worked fairly well for about 6 years and has been giving you trouble but still working for the past 2 years and yet you want to go in a different direction for a replacement long-lasting product? 8 years seems pretty damn admirable for a laptop. Apple products don't inherently last any longer than any other mainstream brand's products. They just provide a different style of interface and content control than their competitors.

Also, if your father doesn't have any intention of ever moving about with his computer, a tablet is a serious waste of money.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's really a (well orchestrated) myth that Apple products have some sort of monopoly on longevity.

A tablet seems nice. If he's anything like my dad, he would rather not type anything and just touch away on the screen.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Midshipman wrote: »
    Also, if your father doesn't have any intention of ever moving about with his computer, a tablet is a serious waste of money.

I'd normally agree, but the OP is considering a Tablet as a PC-Replacement, and in that case, it's much cheaper than any non-refurbished computer.

Great Scott on
    I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Macs USED to legitimately have insane longevity. Right now, they do not, any more than PCs do. My mom has several old Macs up to and including a PowerMac that is... definitely over 10 years old, I think more like 15, and has been used frequently... damn thing still works perfectly. She does also have a late 2007 MacBook Pro that's technically still working, but as far as I'm concerned it should have been retired like two years ago. Major functions have failed and the fans sound like it wants to die. All day. I haven't heard anything impressive about their longevity in more recent years (maybe since the point they went Intel? I dunno). Incidentally, my own Windows laptop (an old Sony VAIO with an NVidia card) that is older than the MBP and was used for gaming pretty constantly is still kicking just fine (though I've given it to my mom now).

So yeah, no, I wouldn't go with Apple based on the longevity of their hardware. There would be an argument to be made for there being fewer viruses out there for a Mac (they are legitimately less targeted than Windows because of their smaller install base), but that's the case with tablets too (for now-- phones and tablets are becoming so widespread that they're being targeted pretty seriously at this point), so. Yeah. Given what your dad wants to do with it, a tablet of any sort would probably work fine since it's likely the cheapest option. No tablet is gonna be a beast in today's terms of power because it's small, but if all it's used for is web browsing and photos, it's the cheapest option that will handle that stuff. I don't think anybody really knows how long tablet hardware is supposed to last since they haven't been around in their modern form for all that long, though.

• Options
    Is the chrome book a significant improvement over the netbook? I bought an Acer netbook a few years ago and was honestly super dissapointed.
    Midshipman wrote: »

I'm confused. Your father's current laptop worked fairly well for about 6 years and has been giving you trouble but still working for the past 2 years and yet you want to go in a different direction for a replacement long-lasting product?

I'm actually not exactly sure how old it is. We bought it second hand 4ish years ago and it was serviceable for the first two years, but after that point its been nothing but 30 minute boot up times and broken ports.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    One thing to note, and I don't know how handy you are or if you're talking about regular old troubleshooting that you do, is that if something inside a tablet breaks, you can't really fix it. Tablets tend to be a case of "X stopped working, send it in and hope the warranty is good." So you definitely won't end up ripping the thing apart to replace a video card or memory, because if something in it goes there's little you can do but send it back for fixing/replacement. You will want to make sure you have a good backup system up and running.

The only reason I don't think a tablet is a not a terrible idea as a computer replacement for a non-hobbyist, not-very-computer-active parent, is that you plug it in, get whatever apps you want, and it just kind of works until it doesn't anymore. Functionality is limited in a way that won't badly affect the computer-illiterate because there are apps for just about every fucking thing that you can set him up with, even printing from a wireless printer. I prefer the idea to getting them a netbook unless said netbook is somehow a full computer scaled back, like the one I have. Most other netbooks I've come in contact with have been toast in a matter of months.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I've never attempted to take apart one of our laptops. Just driver stuff and "lets turn this off and back on again!".

As for the "and it just works" aspect of the tablet, that's what I really want here. If something is minorly borked, my dad probably wont notice it, or will need me there to fix it every time it crops up.

For example, I looked into the ASUS Transformer TF300 and while most of it seems good, apparently there are websites and apps that just load in phone mode for it? I'm guessing this is more of an android os problem , and while it might take nothing more than clicking a couple buttons in the top right of the screen to put the website in desktop/tablet mode, you can bet your ass that it will be me called out to do that every time :p This is pretty minor, but it in total the transformer only comes out to $100 cheaper than a gen 3 ipad+keyboard/stand anyway.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    At Staples it was $399-$50 because it's on sale. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that it is objectively untrue that you can find a gen 3 iPad that isn't a refurb plus the keyboard and stand you are looking for for $450 at this time.

I mean, spend the money how you want. If you have your heart set on an iPad, and it seems like you do, go nuts. But while you're reading 1-star reviews for everything else you're looking at, I recommend that you go and read the gen 3 iPad's too. Do your research.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Refurbed iPad 3G 16GB is $379-$410 depending on where you can find it. $379 at Apple (currently out of stock) $410 at Gamestop (in stock). Not that far off.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Sorry I should have been more clear. The keyboard is a necessity and the transformer one is what really picks the price up at $125 on amazon. Most ipad 3's (there are a ton of listings, cant tell what one I was looking at previously) 16GB wifi come around $525 with the kingston keyboard stand at $65.

I am doing my research, just thought a thread could compliment it. Sorry if it seems like I am coming off as an apple fanboy. Just as someone who has been building his PC for the past 5 years and has payed 0 attention to stock computers, the iPad seems like the purchase least likely to fuck me later.

As for the Nexus 7 and kindle fire, 7"ish screens are too small for him.
    The microsoft surface looked ideal when I saw it promoted pre-release, although the general consensus is that its not great right? I'm going to look more into it now.

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Whatever you buy for him, you bet your ass he's coming to you for tech support. I don't see how Apple/other changes that fact.

• Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    I just bought my mom an apple iPad2 to replace an old laptop which she used exclusively for email and web surfing. Similar story to you, i was always doing tech support on the old laptop and it was failing in many ways.

so a couple points related to my experience buying the iPad2 and its success.
    on the good side...
    1. its been wildly successful, my mom loves the device and the ability to just click the app icons and not have to remember the click double click interface has been great.
    2. Because it is much faster and more intuitive then the old laptop, she gets much less frustrated and uses it a lot more then before.
    3. Its small and easy to carry, so where she used to leave the lap top in the same place at all times. She carries that iPad with here everywhere.

The Down Side
    1. Apple devices have their own little quirks, and unless you have one and know whats what. Tech support will be difficult for you. IE different types of swipes, opening and closing apps etc...
    2. learning how to use the App Store, and how to find apps that your parents may like can be painful
    3. You will still be doing tech support

just some other points
    1. we bought a wireless apple keyboard for my mom, thinking she would not like typing on the screen. She does not use it. she likes typing on the screen just fine.
    2. do you have a wireless network setup in your dads place already? tablet devices are wireless.
    3. Webpages on a tablet do not necessarily look the same as they do on a laptop. Some will detect that you are using an iPad and give you a page designed for that device instead of the old page you may be used to.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    You can get these dinky little mac desktops, called Mac Mini. They don't come with keyboard, mouse, or monitor, and they are about the size of a sandwich box and cheaper than most Macs.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I bought my mom a 7" tablet for this xmas, not as a replacement but as a supplement so she can still use the internet while sitting in the living room or out on the porch. And also play a few tablet games. My parents' main computer is an iMac, which they've had for a couple years and really like (and it hasn't given then any problems, which is great compared to their previous computer).

However, as you noted, Apple stuff is expensive. My girlfriend actually just bought an All-In-One (the windows version of an iMac, basically), for about $400 bucks, which she really likes. Nice big screen, etc. She also had an old laptop and while she generally just surfs and types, she hated how video sites would stutter and crash.

If he's familiar with Windows, it may be an easier transition for him to just get a new desktop like that. My girlfriend hadn't even heard of them, so was pretty stoked to discover they were a real thing. She was considering an iMac beforehand, simply because of the form factor, but the all-in-one had better TV stuff thanks to the windows media center stuff. May be worth a look.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ShutdownShutdown Registered User regular
    I'll put in a vote for a cheap Windows laptop. If you hunt down a bargain you can usually get a decent one for 300 - as long as it comes with a large enough hard drive the only thing to worry about is memory, and I just put 8gb of DDR3 into mine for 40 bucks - it's like a new machine.

Most laptops today should come with a recovery partition so if it slows down after a couple of years it's not a big deal to wipe it and start again.

I'm still in the laptop camp because you have more control in the system itself (file organizing, installing applications) and the keyboard is better if you're doing a lot of typing. Not dissing tablets, just putting it out there that they're a different beast altogether.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the one thing I will say for a tablet is that there is going to be very little your dad can do to fuck it up.

Windows laptops? If your dad is anything like the stereotypical technophobe older guy, he's going to be installing browser toolbars left right and centre on internet explorer, not updating virus software, installing all kinds of things, and then you'll have to come out and tech support why "my computer is running slowly". And then you'll find the bing, yahoo, google, and about six other toolbars, leaving his internet explorer viewing space to be about half of the actual screen.

the biggest thing going for a tablet is that it works until it doesn't and there is fuckall your dad can do to negatively affect it.