As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just finished Battlestar Galactica... now what? (Recommend me good t.v series)

So I just finished watching all 4 seasons of Battlestar... Now i don't know what to watch! The show was awesome! I'm wondering if anyone could recommend me shows (old or new) which I could buy on DVD to help get over my disappointment that i've finished watching this awesome series!
i'm not interested in comedy BTW.
I hear Walking Dead is meant to be really good - but i've avoided watching it because i've been over the whole post apocalyptic zombie theme for a while now.

Shows I've seen / own on DVD already are...

Xfiles
Star Trek - TNG
Streets of San Francisco
Twilight Zone 1960s & 80s
Law and Order
Sopranos
Batman TAS
Lost In Space

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Game of Thrones
    The Wire
    Mad Men
    Breaking Bad

Any of those.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I second admanb's contributions, and add the following

Firefly
    Farscape
    Downton Abbey
    Dexter

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Buffy
    Angel
    Lie To Me
    Criminal Minds

Siska on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just came here to say 'The Wire' is one of those shows where you shake your head back and forth quietly saying "Oh, that's how television is supposed to be."

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I second most, if not all, of the current suggestions but would like to add Veronica Mars. It is also a good tv show, although it may of been targeted towards younger adults, but it is still a very good series.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Fringe
    Wonderfalls
    Pushing Daisies
    Archer
    Doctor Who

Esh on
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Thirding the above recommendations and adding:

Justice League Unlimited
    Psych
    Sherlock

RT800 on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Breaking Bad is one of the best shows ever made and everyone should watch it.

• Options
    ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    Adding to the list: Deep Space Nine

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    Supernatural
    Stargate SG1, Atlantis

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Caprica
    Stargate Universe

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I also wanna recommend Sherlock and Doctor Who.

Also the original Danish version of "The Killing" plus of course Coupling (again the original).

Oh, and if you need it to be SciFi then Babylon 5, Red Dwarf and Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Esh wrote: »
    Fringe
    Wonderfalls
    Pushing Daisies
    Archer
    Doctor Who

I left out archer since the OP said no comedy, but damn I fucking love Archer.

• Options
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Esh wrote: »
    Fringe
    Wonderfalls
    Pushing Daisies
    Archer
    Doctor Who

I left out archer since the OP said no comedy, but damn I fucking love Archer.

I must have skimmed over that part. OP should give it a chance though.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    everyone has hit on the major ones, so I wont repeat those.

I'll add the big one missing: Lost.

Though don't be shocked if you constantly go "wait, didn't I just see this show, in space?!" since it and Battlestar parallel each other a lot despite being nothing alike.

Also, American Horror story is pretty solid, season 2 is close to ending.

The Shield is also a must see.

*edit

American Horror story is interesting because each season is its own story. But a lot of the actors come back and play different roles. Season 2 actually, for some odd reason, reminds me a LOT of battlestar. I know, its crazy, the shows are very different. But the way it has characters battling for control (specifically a male and female), multiple storylines constantly interacting, and the shifting of characters standing in the viewers eyes, hits the same sweet spots.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Zealot wrote: »
    Adding to the list: Deep Space Nine
    Seconding this if you liked BSG adn TNG

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, almost forgot Boardwalk Empire.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Also, if you haven't seen em yet, there are a couple BSG movies; Razor, about the Pegasus, and The Plan which explains what the Cylons were actually trying to do throughout. Razor is cool if you like the Pegasus arc, and The Plan is great closure after the finale episode.

There's also a new prequel movie called Blood and Chrome freely available on Machinma;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMcLF9V0_6o&list=SPrFaRFw9s4G4OYkHPs0afqM_nT0jLvvPy&index=6

It is awesome. Adama is a young wannabe Viper pilot, the Galactica is brand new and top of the line, and despite a tiny budget it has some of the best space combat scenes of the series. ;D

Totally unrelated recommendation; 24.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    4400?

Babylon 5 is well worth a look as well.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    There are many fabulous series on TV, or have been on TV, I suppose a good question is what are you interested in watching next? If your looking to transition to another form of Sci Fi, Stargate SG1 and Dr. Who are lovely choices, if you want to move to something a little different check out the Dresden files tv series, it only went one season but it was enjoyable (the books are even better and worth a read or better yet an audiobook). Dead like me is a good series.

I'm curious what style the OP is looking for. I know of many shows that are fantastic that might not be thought of off the top of the head.

• Options
    PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    A show from a few years back called Surface. If you can past Obligatory Annoying Kid, fantastic show.

• Options
    lancasterlancaster Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones
    Borgias
    The Tudors
    Dexter

• Options
    lancasterlancaster Registered User regular
    I also wanna recommend Sherlock and Doctor Who.

Also the original Danish version of "The Killing" plus of course Coupling (again the original).

Oh, and if you need it to be SciFi then Babylon 5, Red Dwarf and Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

I have to check out Dr.Who myself, I hear it is fantastic.

You should look into getting The sarah conner chronicles, that is one I just thought of
    Maybe Louis & Clark
    oh and ancient aliens

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Homeland season 1. Season 2 is alright, but doesn't really hold a candle to S1.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    Holy crap! Didn't expect so many recommendations!
    Zepherin - basically interested in anything that has a good story. my taste is very diverse. However saying that, shows like Game of Thrones don't interest me.

Heading out so i reckon i'll pick up Breaking Bad and Stargate as a start (bargain bin specials! :D)

Cheers for the suggestions - looks like i'll have a lot of synopsis reading to go through.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just curious -- what does "shows like Game of Thrones" mean? :P

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

Shows which reveal a little too much male anatomy :P

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Shows which reveal a little too much male anatomy :P

Hey now, Game of Thrones is just an equal-opportunity nudity provider. :P (Disclaimer: I have not seen every episode of Season 2 yet, but I can't assume it's far enough off from the books for the male-to-female nudity ratio to be significantly in the male direction.) I can understand a general desire for having clothing on the characters most of the time, which could definitely be a problem in 'racy' (usually historical) series like Rome, The Tudors, GoT, etc., but singling out just the MALE nudity in the show seems a bit silly to me! Am I right in assuming what you mean to say is that you don't want a racier show? Because that's more helpful than just avoiding 'male anatomy' when it comes to suggesting shows that will be right for you.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    NCIS is always good.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    DEADWOOD

• Options
    Essee - Twas a joke :D I just don't like Game of Thrones. I've seen season 1. Maybe if i read the books I may appreciate it more.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    You should watch Band of Brothers, it was great. Weeds, True Blood, Wilfred, my wife and I enjoy those shows. YMMV though.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Do you like spies and bad asses?

Nikita (The Maggie Q one)
    Person of Interest

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Holy crap! Didn't expect so many recommendations!
    Zepherin - basically interested in anything that has a good story. my taste is very diverse. However saying that, shows like Game of Thrones don't interest me.

Heading out so i reckon i'll pick up Breaking Bad and Stargate as a start (bargain bin specials! :D)

Cheers for the suggestions - looks like i'll have a lot of synopsis reading to go through.
    You might want to check out MI5 (spooks in the UK) it's pretty good, about spies, and it's on instant watch netflix. Also if you are looking for series like this, get instant watch netflix, and have a dvd player that has that function or a computer hooked to your tv. It is one of the best ways to watch hole seasons of shows that are on dvd.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Do you like spies and bad asses?

Nikita (The Maggie Q one)
    Person of Interest

I also liked the first two seasons of Alias.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    My suggestions were mentioned but I'll second them.

Borgias - Jeremy Irons is awesome, great intrigue, not a lot of action but season 2 did add to it
    Boardwalk Empire - 1920's setting during prohibition with some great actors
    The Wire - just awesome
    Caprica - If you liked the lore side of BSG and wanted to know more of the cylon beginnings, cut after 2 seasons unfortunately, not action filled but a good watch
    BSG: Blood and Chrome - excellent for a low budget film, watch on youtube or wait for the DVD release in February
    Doctor Who - start with the 2005 series which continues into the one that recently finished airing, I'm a new fan of the show and in season 5, great fun
    Torchwood - if you like Doctor Who you should enjoy this as well, it's a spinoff that features characters seen in multiple seasons of Who

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Sons of Anarchy

True Blood

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    The first two seasons of Slider are good, kitschy fun.

Then.....just walk away.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    House of Cards
    Twin Peaks

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Essee - Twas a joke :D I just don't like Game of Thrones. I've seen season 1. Maybe if i read the books I may appreciate it more.

If you read the books you might appreciate it even less :P