As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[25 years of 真・女神転生/Persona] SMTIV out! Gaians wanted, see Lucy for details.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    As someone who has never played this games, Persona 4 is almost cult-like in its following.

Not surprising, it's basically Harvest Moon only slightly more occult and a little easier.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, CJ, go edit that OP now. :P

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Hopefully this one will also get a digital release.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So, because I tend to barely pay attention to SMTs until they're announced for localization, how updated of a port is Soul Hackers? Relatively few gameplay enhancements from the PS1 version, or streamlined for modern mechanics?

Dehumanized on
    Almost no degradation from the originals charming old schoolness.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Great OP.

Just spent 8 hours (and 3.5 million yen) fusing every single Persona in the compendium on a bonus S. Link day so I have every skill card available and almost every skill on every Persona. Just Magatsu Izanagi and the Death Arcana as notable exceptions, I fucked up my NG+ so if things go according to plan I'll just about Max Death's S link on the very last day of activity :P

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • NintenNinten Registered User regular
    I prefer the old OP, but!

It's being localized finally. *hopes for an european release too*

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Ninten wrote: »

Well... we're getting Devil Survivor: Overclocked (supposedly), so here's hoping.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    heenato wrote: »
    Dusda wrote: »
    Holy crap, there are a lot more Megami Tensei games than I was aware of.
    There's TECHNICALLY alot more spinoffs even, but most of them aren't worth mentioning, or are downright bad. (We don't talk about demikids)

Megaten is in pure quanity probably one of the biggest gaming franchises

Last I checked

3 original novels that started it all (Megaten is a book adaption)
    3 other novels spawing from the games
    8 Anime (counting movies)
    9 Manga Series
    25 Album scores
    45 Games

C2B on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular

Hahahaha.
    Ahaha.
    Hah.

• fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Ghostlight releasing the PSP remake of Persona 2 in Europe was presumably a fairly crazy risk. It's not utterly impossible, right? Right? Curse you America!

fedaykin666 on
    I just finished the Aiya beef bowl.
    Well that was pointless.

Well... we're getting Devil Survivor: Overclocked (supposedly), so here's hoping.

That's supposedly out in February, right?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Best wake-up news.

How about that voice acting? (Kind of iffy on Soul Hackers font, but eh, I'll live.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I always hear about this Persona thing. And it reminds me I need to watch the anime, and probably play one of them one of these days....

You're not missing a damn thing.

The anime gets the investigation right and throws pretty much everything else out the window. Each character is hiimdaisy's interpretation of them. Swag memes aside, Yu is a zombie epitomizing everything wrong with "stoic" JRPG heroes. The animation sucks too, reducing combat to kaiju battles.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I just finished the Aiya beef bowl.
    Well that was pointless.

I kept hoping it was going to open a social link with the Aiya owner's daughter.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    All you get is a bunch of social stat points.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Persona 4 wins solely because of Nanako.

I'm only slightly joking.

Anyway, trailer for Hole Sackers is great. Cannot wait. I essentially bought a 3DS because of Devil Survivor: Overclocked, so I'm glad it will get more SMT mileage.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    Drez wrote: »
    Persona 4 wins solely because of Nanako.

You're my hero.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    YES! Best wake up news ever!

Maybe I should finally update/finish my Soul Hackers FAQ next year. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Somebody bottom line it for me:

Is Soul Hackers anything I would enjoy, as someone who leans more Persona than SMT?

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Is Soul Hackers anything I would enjoy, as someone who leans more Persona than SMT?

It's closest to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. 6 character party - one for the main character (who can't use magic), one for your possessed best friend (she can use magic), and 4 slots for summoned monsters. Cyberpunk plot. Like Strange Journey, you have a portable computer which you can load program into that give you various bonuses & advantages.

It's a really good game but it's very much a dungeon crawler like all the older Shin Megami Tensei titles.

RainbowDespair on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Alright cool that's a no then. Oh well!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

It's closest to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. 6 character party - one for the main character (who can't use magic), one for your possessed best friend (she can use magic), and 4 slots for summoned monsters. Cyberpunk plot. Like Strange Journey, you have a portable computer which you can load program into that give you various bonuses & advantages.

It's a really good game but it's very much a dungeon crawler like all the older Shin Megami Tensei titles.

Is it as randomly brutal as Strange Journey?

Donnicton wrote: »
    Is it as randomly brutal as Strange Journey?

Sometimes, I guess. I watched CJ stream it and some of the bosses (especially the final) seemed pretty tough.

tbh, I didn't find SJ to be brutal.

• an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    First thing I did when I got into work today was check my email. Second thing was preordering Soul Hackers.

If I ever leave my job, Amazon will still be sending parcels to my office for years to come.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I always hear about this Persona thing. And it reminds me I need to watch the anime, and probably play one of them one of these days....

You're not missing a damn thing.

The anime gets the investigation right and throws pretty much everything else out the window. Each character is hiimdaisy's interpretation of them. Swag memes aside, Yu is a zombie epitomizing everything wrong with "stoic" JRPG heroes. The animation sucks too, reducing combat to kaiju battles.

You say this like it's a bad thing. This was possibly one of the best things ever about the P4 anime.

Also I thought it was pretty good. I'd watch it again.

steam_sig.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Noticed that the Digital Devil Saga/Nocturne games can be had for less than a tenner each sealed on Amazon.

Can they be played as their own standalone story or do you need an investment in the series to get anything out of them?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Noticed that the Digital Devil Saga/Nocturne games can be had for less than a tenner each sealed on Amazon.

Can they be played as their own standalone story or do you need an investment in the series to get anything out of them?

SMT3 had very little references to SMT1/2, but feel free to get them. Especially Nocturne.

SMT3 had very little references to SMT1/2, but feel free to get them. Especially Nocturne.

Ah Nocture is 3, thought it was a standalone of some kind.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Woot, been waiting on that news

One more game to get on my 3DS!

I'm up to like... three now!

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Swag memes aside, Yu is a zombie epitomizing everything wrong with "stoic" JRPG heroes.
    This is sad, because aside from being completely mute, P4MC had a few things that hinted at his personality and it was "actually kind of a huge dork."

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited December 2012

Huh, I'm still seeing them all at around $17-20. Are you in a different region? I've always skipped out on DDS because I'd never have the time to beat them, but at $10 I'd stock them in the gamebank. :)

As far as prerequisites to playing, here's what I understand:

Nocturne - Totally standalone
    DDS1 - Standalone
    DDS2 - DIRECT sequel to DDS1 (as in, takes place 2 seconds after the end of DDS1)

Dehumanized on

Huh, I'm still seeing them all at around $17-20. Are you in a different region? I've always skipped out on DDS because I'd never have the time to beat them, but at $10 I'd stock them in the gamebank. :)

UK!

I was surprised because I thought they might be a bit rare, never really saw them in shops.

UK!

I was surprised because I thought they might be a bit rare, never really saw them in shops.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. 10 pounds is about $17 American. Atlus has done numerous print runs of their PS2 SMT games -- you can still find copies of pretty much everything except Devil Summoner 1/2 and Persona 3 vanilla (FES is readily available, of course).

Nocturne makes a hell of a lot more sense if you've played 1 and 2, but in the aggregate that's not that much.

From reading a couple of bits on each game it seems like DDS is more of a traditional party RPG while Nocturne is your main dude and demons?

Persona 3/4 are on there for the same price too, this could be a horrific rabbit hole.

Yeah, each game there is worth 80+ hours of gameplay easy. And if you don't get them now, Atlus might not do another print run and they'll disappear forever!

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

That's supposedly out in February, right?

Nah, there's no set date beyond "2013".

Also, the P4 anime was great and disliking it makes you an objectively bad person.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699