My Girlfriend's Dog - want to pop my critique cherry?

MyGfsDogMyGfsDog Registered User regular
edited December 2012 in Artist's Corner
So, I've never had this particular comic critiqued before. I'm sort of nervous about it, actually. But, if you have any valuable feedback to offer, please comment! The art style is going to change somewhat in future strips, but I'd like to get some feedback before I refine my style.

My Girlfriend's Dog is a webcomic about a boy who's in love with a girl who's in love with...her poodle. Based on the real life experiences of writer Marisa Brenizer, illustrator Michael Yakutis, and their dog Max.

b7i2ps.jpg

Grifter on

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2012
    The one thing I notice is that while the girlfriend and boyfriend seem to have depth, in terms of the illusion of three dimensions, the dog appears strangely 2 dimensional. It looks like a flat cardboard cutout of a dog.

Edit: Other than that I like it, and think it's a fine premise.

_J_ on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Did you break up with your artist? The newer comics don't like anywhere near as good as your older ones from 2011. Also, the newer ones don't have the copyright information on them. What happened?

• MyGfsDogMyGfsDog Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    The one thing I notice is that while the girlfriend and boyfriend seem to have depth, in terms of the illusion of three dimensions, the dog appears strangely 2 dimensional. It looks like a flat cardboard cutout of a dog.

Edit: Other than that I like it, and think it's a fine premise.

Thanks for the feedback! The illustrator is working on changing his drawing style for the characters, so the dog's appearance will definitely be improved.

• MyGfsDogMyGfsDog Registered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    Did you break up with your artist? The newer comics don't like anywhere near as good as your older ones from 2011. Also, the newer ones don't have the copyright information on them. What happened?

What happened was that the illustrator got overwhelmed with freelance projects and wasn't able to spend as much time on the comic. Fortunately, he now has the time, and actually just got a Wacom tablet. :) As for the copyright info, we decided not to include it once we started uploading MGD on its official site instead of SmackJeeves.

Thanks for the feedback!

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    If you're posting here for artistic feedback, which is what this forum is for, it'd be much better to have the actual artist posting here. And there's not much point in showing us work from a year ago.