As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dungeon World] Coldkeep (IC/OOC)

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    "Grun! Head Down!" Strom slams bodily into the smell gnoll and knocks it off balance. He takes the opening to slash the creature across one leg and draws its attention to himself.

Hack and Slash: 2d6+3 15
    Damage: 1d10+1d6+1 5

The Gnoll has a chance to attack me.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    As you get in close, Strom, you manage to sneak your sword into the beast's inner leg and open it. The gnoll dies, topples on top of Grun, and proceeds to bleed all over him. He's not going to be able to push the thing off of him without some help. As if that wasn't bad enough you hear a familiar baying in the distance...

Vandral and Hote, not gonna lie, you're in a fix. One gnoll is terrified of the bard's fallen sword but the other three are steadily pushing you guys back. You're right up under the frozen teeth of Coldkeep's main entrance. You could go inside Coldkeep, maybe try to lose the gnolls in there. They sure don't look too keen on following you inside. You could also try and fight your way through back to Strom and Grun with a +str defy danger.

What do you guys do?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Just so's we clear, Grun's trapped under like six and a half feet of gross, stinky, bloody dead beastman and there's more gnoises coming from the woods.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Strom glances down at Grun and back up as the sounds of pursuit grow closer. The paladin roughly sheathes his sword. "Come brother, we must away. Continuing this battle has become unwise, I fear."

The holy warrior bends down and gathers his strength to help extricate Grun.

Never leave a man behind!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    Pressing up on the slain gnoll Grun grimaces when he hears the baying coming from the woods. "Charging into Coldkeep is hardly any wiser but you're right my friend, we cannot stay here."

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Hote attempts to biff one of the gnolls on the snout in an attempt to get back to the others. It does not go well.

Defy danger: 2d6 6

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Grun and Strom, you take a quick handful of seconds to push the gnoll's corpse off and recover your hammer. The sound of more gnolls is getting ever closer and it looks like the other three have just about got Hote's number.

Hote, you make a really valiant attempt to muscle your way past these three guys. Vandral will surely compose a limerick about it later. What ends up happening is you rush in, prepared to deliver some righteous fisticuffs, and, well, the gnoll you try to bop pretty much grabs your arm and drags you into his little gaggle of friends and howls victoriously and starts yelling about how they have the wizard.

What do you do?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Blind with panic, Hote grabs the first thing in reach and lashes out at the gnoll holding his arm. Fortunately that thing was Vandral's rapier, which cuts a gash into the beast's hide.
    --
    Hack n Slash: 2d6+1 7 With these dice I think I deserve to be eaten by gnolls.

Damage: 1d4 2

Grog on
  • Options
    Warhammer in hand and dripping with blood Grun charges towards the bridge crashing into the gnoll's rear flank and swinging his hammer in a sweeping arc ahead of him slamming it into the gnolls in an effort to knock as many of them as possible off of the bridge.

I'm thinking this is a Defy Danger to rush in and help Hote.

Defy Danger 2d6 8.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Hote, it looks like they're not going to eat you (yet). Your improvisational swordwork does manage to make them mad enough to punch you in the head a couple of times to quiet you down, though. Roll me 3d6+1 damage keeping the highest result.

Grun, the good news is you managed to knock the gnoll who had separated from the pack off the bridge. We won't be seeing him again. The bad news is your wizard is being dragged towards the leftwards path around the side of Coldkeep's entrance. They're probably buying more time for their reinforcements.

What do you do?

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    "You have no idea what you're doing with that...two hands for beginners!" Vandral didn't seem happy about it, but dragging Hote away from the gnolls seemed to be his only choice. He could only hope the other two would cover him after he barreled through the pack of beasts, dragging the wizard and rapier along with him.

Defy Danger: 2d6+1 8

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As the gnoll vanishes over the edge of the bridge the symbol of Sorrowforge blazes brighter than ever with a pale light. Turning he charges after the retreating gnolls raises his hammer overhead, and brings it crashing down on the shoulders of the first beastman he reaches.

Hack and Slash a gnoll! 2d6 8. Damage 1d6 4.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    The gnolls punch a particularly vital part of the wizard's noggin, causing the spell to dissipate from Vandral's rapier.

Damage: 3d6k1+1 7 -1 for armor, and I'll end Cause Fear to subtract a further 1.

Now on 14/19hp.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Okay, it's definitely becoming a scrum. Gnolls are punching, hammers are swinging, and the bard is doing his damnedest to drag the wizard out of the mix. I'm going to tell you, you can all hear the oncoming yips of yet more gnolls now. You guys maybe have a minute at most before who knows how many more of the brutes come down on you.

Grun, you crack the skull of one of the three gnolls and he looks like a stiff breeze would probably send him down. He's still got enough juice in him to keep his meat paws on the mage though.

Strom, you better get in there quick. If you're not inside the keep when the rest of the gnoll warparty comes out of those trees you're toast. But you knew that already, right?

Vandral, you see an opening. You need to choose what you're going to pull free: either the Wizard or your sword. You won't be able to get both. That being said, Hote, you could always pick up the sword if you wanted and rely on the bard's mighty thews to drag you out of the thick of it.

What do you do?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Also I've been asked if it would be possible to make a pretty bold attempt so let me run this by you guys before you commit to an action. I'll let you discuss it amongst yourselves. Grun wanted to make an attempt to shatter the ice bridge, eliminating the danger of the reinforcements. If you guys would like to do that I'll let Strom get over the bridge to your side and have Grun make a move related to the bridge:

When you attempt to shatter the icy bridge leading into Coldkeep, roll +str. On a 10+ you bring down your mighty hammer at just the right point and cause the bridge to crack. Anything that steps on the ice now is going to be in for a nasty surprise. On a 7-9 you put a good effort in but it's going to take more than just a hammer to put a crack in the bridge. You'll all need to expend 5 uses (total, not each) out of an adventuring kit to get the job done by using torches and spikes and whatnot.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Strom looks around, the battle has moved away from him and he is separated from the group. He moves swiftly and goes to rejoin his comrades, sword drawn and ready.

Shattering the ice bridge is a wonderful idea! Strom is going to hoof it and rejoin with the group. I had had a similiar idea, only using Strom's sword and calling upon the might of Vaelon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Behind you! A dragon!" The gnolls ignore the desperate gambit even if they do understand, but when Hote utters a single silent syllable one of them looks round and almost quails in terror at the sight of Strom's advancing shield.

Cast Cause Fear: 2d6+1 12 One of the gnolls must flee, fight, beg or panic before Strom's shield.

My vote is smash the bridge. Also I'm a little unclear on what options we have for entering the keep. Was there a stairway downwards or would we have to climb?

• Options
    Sorry, I should be more clear. Basically there's three entrances to the keep: the main toothy cave like entrance pictured in the photo I used for the game. There's also a path/ledge that winds around the mountain going leftward as you approach the entrance. That's where the gnolls are slowly trying to drag you. There was also a dark stairway leading down the cliff into the abyss on the other side of the icy bridge which was (alleged) to be the safe route into Coldkeep according to the song Vandral recalled.

• Options
    After his sword was dropped yet again, Vandral moved to retrieve it. "You seem to have this under control, Hote!" He tipped his hat to the wizard and his new gnoll friends, readying his returned weapon while doing his best to maneuver Strom and Grun between him and the beasts.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Charging past Strom towards the middle of the icy bridge Grun stops halfway between the entrance to Coldkeep and the snow covered ground on the opposite end. The howls of the approaching gnolls echo in the dwarf's ears. Raising his warhammer up in both hands a sudden gust of icy wind carries his words away so that no one else can hear his prayer.

"Coalbear I ask that you serve me as well as you did my father. Strike true and prove yourself worthy of the forge of a dwarven king."

The cleric brings the hammer down on the hardened frost and deep cracks spread across its surface, but it does not fall. Grun reaches into a small pouch hanging from his belt and draws out five glittering metal spikes. He places the first atop one of the cracks in the bridge and drives it into the ice widening the gap further. As he drives each of the spikes into the ice the cracks spread further and further until the bridge begins to tremble beneath them, and then it begins to tumble down into the blackness below. Grun turns and runs towards Coldkeep with all the speed his short legs can muster.

"Make for the keep!"

Smash the bridge! 2d6 7.

Grun will expend all of the uses of his adventuring gear in order to bring down this bridge.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    The only thing I can think of when I read the hammer name to myself was Stephen Colbert. On a stick.

Well, suffice to say, with one gnoll paralyzed with fear, the last remaining two beastmen remember what the better part of valor is and haul off around the left side of Coldkeep. You could follow, obviously, but these gnolls probably know the area waaay better than you. Not only that, guys, but the rest of the gnoll warband has arrived. A good dozen or more of the buggers come out of the trees howling and yipping and you notice several of them have bows. I wouldn't recommend standing outside.

What do you do?

• Options
    Also you all get to mark xp for that because I enjoyed the RP from everyone. A lot of cool character choices and development in a pretty basic knock-down dragout fight. Also Grun gets a bonus one on top of that because HOLY CRAP that was a cool thing to do. Caught me the heck off guard but I love the moxie.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Picking himself off the ground, Hote stands stunned for a moment at the damage Grun's hammer had wrought. And when death's hand severs the icy tongue of secrets long-frozen- shaking the prophecy's words from his mind, the wizard heads for Coldkeep's gaping maw.

"I think we'd be best served by darkness." He calls to the others, pointing at the gnollish archers.

Grog on
  • Options
    I should have been more clear. Stair's on the other side. That's the tradeoff you made by shattering the bridge.

• Options
    Woops. Edited post accordingly- I don't fancy following those gnolls.

• Options
    "Most impressive Master Dwarf." He nods at Hote's words, "Not being target practice for Gnolls suits me just fine." Strom catches up to Hote. "Did I see you wielding a blade for a moment? You should spar more often. It'd help you when we get into these scraps."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Vandral was more than willing to let Grun risk himself to bar the gnolls' approach. As the monsters scattered, he retreated towards the ominous entrance. Panting, breath puffing out visibly, he kept his weapon ready. "...well at least I'm not so cold now." Unfortunately, the entrance they had been forced to select wouldn't have been his first choice. "Careful, fellows. I've heard many a word of warning about what waits inside the maw of Coldkeep." He grunted, rubbing his mustache nervously with his free hand. "...one tale mentioned relative safety to be found along the stairway, but someone left us without much of a choice..."

Do I just mark down that I have 1 XP? How much is needed for a level? I couldn't seem to find this information.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    To level up you need your current level + 7 exp.

• Options
    So you all step into the toothy grin of Coldkeep. You expect a temperature drop but surprisingly now that you're out of the wind and the rain it feels warmer. Maybe it's the uncertainty as you navigate the icy hallway that causes you to forget the cold. Either way it takes you a few minutes to enter the keep proper, and all of the stories couldn't prepare you for the sight that greets you now. A great hall filled with the eerie blue glow awaits you with who knows how many doors on the side walls along with countless sets of staircases going both up and down.

You imagine if Death wanted a castle, he might choose this one.

So tell me, what are you guys looking for first?

• Options
    Grun looks around the inside of Coldkeep imaginig the tremendous force of will that it would have taken to build such an elaborate structure in such a desolate climate. Holding his holy symbol out in front of him he waves it slowly before him as he paces around the chamber.

"Sorrowforge, guide your servant that I might carry out your will."

Cast Guidance 2d6+2 6.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    "I think I'll leave the scrapping to you lads next time." Hote smiles at Strom then winces at his bruised arm. Seemingly unimpressed by the splendour of Coldkeep and the cleric's petition for guidance, he saunters over to the nearest door at their level.

"Logic dictates we should start at the beginning. After you?"

• Options
    Strom nods, "Sooner begun, sooner done. Just watch my back."

He steps through the door and into the room beyond.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sorry for the delay folks, special plans today for my lady's birthday tomorrow. We resume your regularly scheduled Coldkeep tomorrow!

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Given the grandiosity of the entry chamber it's rather surprising that the first large area you enter is actually a stairway leading down down down into the bowels of Coldkeep. You can hear water dripping from the frozen walls deeper down so you can only assume that the temperature down there is warmer. Other than that it seems unnervingly calm and quiet in here. Grun, as you cast your spell you realize something unnerving: there's no response from Sorrowforge. The light flares ever so briefly and then winks out leaving you with a petition that has gone unanswered. It seems your pleas for divine aid, while inside Coldkeep, will fall on deaf ears. What it means is that any spell cast within that communes with a deity won't work here.

What do you do?

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    "We can't just dart down the first path available. We should at least have a proper look around. Check out our options." Vandral couldn't help but wonder where the odd, blue light was coming from, but it was rather unlikely that his companions had the answer to that. "...although this place seems to be simply door after door, staircase after staircase..." The bard seemed rather uncomfortable. "...my first rule is to always know your escape route. Just in case. And since the front door is no longer an option, for various reasons..." He trailed off with a shrug.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    "Vandral, this is having a proper look round. Maybe at the bottom of this deep dark hole there is an exit- or something better still." Hote taps a wooden ring on his left hand, causing it to glow a soft yellow (to offset all this blue).

Halfway down the steps already, he turns back to the others "Besides, we can always turn back. Unless Grun has any further ideas for that hammer."

Cantrips don't need a roll, right? Not sure I really need the light, but what's the point in being a wizard if you can't show off a little.

• Options
    Dropping his holy symbol Grun strode past Hote shaking his hammer under the wizars's nose. "Don't tempt me mage."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Strom thumped Grun heartily on the back, "Come now Master Dwarf, we're all comrades in arms here."

"Shall you and I lead the way? Be the Vanguard and bring the light of our gods to this awful place?"

"We shall need to find a more defensible position if we must rest through the night."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sorry guys, have the flu or something. I could barely think of that last post, probably best to skip me for a bit, hopefully I'll be better in the next few days.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Grun nodded at Strom moving forward. "I fear the weary souls who tarry here wil allow us little rest my friend."

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch