Options

Giant Bomb Has Chosen Its GOTY, But We're All Winners!

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    FF8 definitely has my favorite monster/summon/ship designs.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I played through FF6 and Chrono Trigger while my roommate was playing through FF13. We both agreed that I had the better experience.

JMan711 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    Gatsby wrote: »
    T4CT wrote: »
    also never thought I'd say this but I think I'd pay someone to draw me in the persona style

it just looks cool
    I
    even though anime is Certifiably Gross

You're lucky I'm bored and willing to do it for free.

@Gatsby WHAT YO PM ME

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Persona 3 basically gave me a taste for jrpg blood

Gonna end up playing chrono trigger, the last story, and the world ends with you in tandem

Then if I still have momentum I might try out ff6 and xenoblade

Speed

Speed

If you love me, you will play FFIX or X.

Your opinions are still on probation until the last story starts getting good

How far in are you?

Not far at all, I just got to the part where they tell you to dick around the city for the first time.

Really the main sticking point for me so far is the protagonist being all whiny and lame

I can tell you now that the protagonist isn't like that for very long.

If this is his problem then he really shouldn't play FFX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Chrono Trigger is a game I would like to play.

Also I want to try all of the "great" Final Fantasy games, like 7 and 12. The ones people always go on about.

I think for me a big part of why I've never played them is that JRPGs as a rule just put me off. Kingdom Hearts was pretty bad about it, but at least had, you know, Jack Sparrow and Stitch and Aladdin to make up for it.

THOSE ARE NOT THE CORRECT NUMBERS

6 people, SIX

come on now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    alternatively just find a youtube of the scene where Tidus blows Wakka's mind by suggesting they try to win at blitzball

then you will have seen all of FFX you need to see

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Well, I think I might be done with The Walking Dead halfway through episode 2.
    I'm at the part where the boys on the farm are hiding something in the barn and the only way to progress is to do the absolute dumbest thing you can possibly imagine doing in a zombie apocalypse and I really don't want to be that big of an idiot.

13iepvv6o8ip.png
  • Options
    If someone is telling you that the final fantasies to play are any numbers 7 or above there is a 100% chance they are under 25 years old.

IX is the one exception to this but only if they are including IX along with 4, 5, and/or 6

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest is better anyway

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest is stupid oldschool though

I like the series well enough but it's turn based JRPG distilled and if that's not your jam you absolutely should not play Dragon Quest.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Final Fantasy VI sure is a game that was probably incredible 18 years ago, which is also my experience with Chrono Trigger. I do not doubt their importance to the medium, but I don't find them much fun by today's standards.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest V, now that's a game that shines despite its age.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    if someone is telling you the final fantasy to play is any of them you shouldn't listen to them about final fantasy

YUCK YUCK YUCK

• Options
    Dragon Quest has mantained simple and charming while Final Fantasy gets increasingly anime

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Simple

charming

and a fuckload of grinding

• Options
    furthermore Chrono Trigger is timeless and pretty much the epitome of what a 16 bit rpg can be

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Shen wrote: »
    Final Fantasy VI sure is a game that was probably incredible 18 years ago, which is also my experience with Chrono Trigger. I do not doubt their importance to the medium, but I don't find them much fun by today's standards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siuWZxDMGnk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Simple

charming

and a fuckload of grinding

I've only played the DS remakes but you don't actually have to do any grinding and the encounter rate is fine, I say this as someone who hates random battles

the only exception is the weird-ass difficulty spike at the end of 6

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I liked X a lot, but I was never super into FF back in the day

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    I still find FFVI and Chrono Trigger to be excellent. FFVI is a little dated, and I certainly didn't realize how buggy it was 18 years ago as I did last year, but it's still an exceptional example of how to build and develop multiple characters in a relatively brief amount of time. Terra, Locke and Celes are exceptions, but everyone else gets more or less 3 quests to build and complete full character arcs. And they do it well.

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    dragon quest 3 completely consumed my imagination for months after the game boy color version was released

• Options
    I never finished any of the DS remakes. Mostly going by Dragon Quest 7 and 8. 7 might be the grindiest game in history. It has a job system but one that levels by how many battles you complete and nothing else.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The livestream came back up with the Killzone botmode on.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh god are we spouting off Final Fantasy lists again

• Options
    oh geez the livestream is still going? that's crazy!

• Options
    Oh god are we spouting off Final Fantasy lists again

the children are slipping through our grasp

they must be saved

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    My final fantasy list is as follows.

-Other games

-Final Fantasy

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    My final fantasy list is as follows.

-Other games

-Final Fantasy

well yeah, the first one is ultra ultra dated at this point

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    All Final Fantasy games are quality, some more than others. Play any of them that come your way.

Except for II

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    marry dragon quest

fuck chrono trigger

kill final fantasy

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    And even though XII isn't bad

Just play Xenoblade instead if you have a Wii

It is FFXII Done Right

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Hahaha

god no

Xenoblade doesn't have any awesome gambit stuff

I think the environments, setting and characters in Xenoblade are a million times more interesting than most in FFXII but I played FFXII for almost 200 hours only because of how fun I found the combat. I'll someday go back and beat Xenoblade but it just isn't anywhere near as fun to play for me.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    yeah I really enjoyed gambits. i'm not enjoying xenoblade's combat. i still don't quite get the combo system. half the time i wonder if i'm doing it right

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Gambit is in a Final Fantasy game?!

• Options
    XII is the only mainline FF I haven't beaten

It's just so...boring

Not even bad, just bland. Which may actually be worse than outright bad. But it had a lot of interesting ideas

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    On one hand you have the people who are too cool for jrpgs and on the other hand you have people who like all that pseudo SciFi bullcrap in the later ff games

here I am, stuck in the middle with my reasonable opinions

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    I really enjoy some pseudo scifi fantasy bullshit

it's just, Final Fantasy hasn't ever really done it well

They've tried really hard but haven't ever been able to pull it off.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    FF's my favorite "so far in the future it's the past" sci-fi

• Options
    On one hand you have the people who are too cool for jrpgs and on the other hand you have people who like all that pseudo SciFi bullcrap in the later ff games

here I am, stuck in the middle with my reasonable opinions

Because people like you act like this started in later FF games, when actually it started in VI

• Options
    XII is the only mainline FF I haven't beaten

It's just so...boring

Not even bad, just bland. Which may actually be worse than outright bad. But it had a lot of interesting ideas

Agree with this for everything but the combat. The story is pretty mediocre and the character development is almost universally nonexistent. I don't know what happened to the narrative development for that game but they released an unfinished product in that department.

This discussion has been closed.