As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Internet Radio Issues

iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I got a nice email today from Tim Westergren (founder of Pandora) that moved me to call my congressman, so I figured I'd copy and paste a few of the relevant things here.
I'm writing today to ask for your help. We've had a disastrous turn of
events recently for internet radio: Following an intensive lobbying effort on the part of the RIAA, an arbitration committee in Washington DC has just dramatically increased the fees internet radio sites must pay to the record labels - tripling fees and adding enormous retroactive payments! Left unchanged by Congress, this will kill all internet radio sites, including Pandora.

Tomorrow afternoon there is an important U.S. Senate hearing on the future of internet radio. I hope you'll take a minute today to call [the office of your senator] to voice your objection to this ruling.

Remarkably, this rate applies only to internet radio, exempting both broadcast radio and satellite radio. It is a pure and simple reflection of the difference in lobbying power of each industry. It is not only unfair and without legal rationale, but will completely wipe out internet radio.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to call - it will make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying power of the RIAA. You, our listeners are by far our biggest and most influential ally.

I dont know how many of you listen to internet radio, but this is huge, and it really pisses me off. Those of you that want to help, I hope you do what you can, because I think this is a horrible thing to do, and for all the reasons Tim mentioned.

Thanks for all the support you can give, lets see if we can make a difference!

-Arne

Hamlet will be Hamlet
An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
iusehappymod on

• FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I heard about this on NPR the other evening. It sounds like total bullshit.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, that sucks. :?

Aldo on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It is total bullshit. Internet radio is always under attack.

Move the servers to Canada/another country?

James on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Does anyone have a link to a good article talking about this?

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I dont have a link, but I'm definitely pretty upset about it. someone needs to Sac Tap everyone at the RIAA.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I didn't notice this until just now, I'll have to call in the morning.

SithDrummer on
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for links.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So the RIAA now is moving to cripple what is essentially the music rental industry.

Fine then. If I cannot have means of finding out what I like, I will buy no music. It's not like the RIAA can plug up my eardrums if I don't give them money.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Senators contacted. Seriously, I cannot afford to lose internet radio...terrestrial radio up here sucks and I can't convince the wife to let me pay for satellite. Internet radio is what I listen to almost exclusively in my dorm room...either Pandora or various other streams.

mcdermott on
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Internet Radio will continue in some form or another, but I will hate to lose free services like Di.fm and Pandora. I would pay for Pandora, its just that good, but not if the reason was because they were forced to charge us due to fees imposed by the RIAA.

Shurakai on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Internet radio is what gets me to buy CDs.

Because my local radio station plays the same things -endlessly-, so there's no need to actually buy any of that music.

This is also going to make a whole new set of mp3 streamers.

Making things go underground is NOT good business.

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2007
    Internet radio is what prevents me from having to buy CD's. The endless stream of different music satiates my need for new and unique music.
    The artist doesn't matter to me so much as the music itself, and as long as I get plenty I'm happy.
    It can go both ways

Shurakai on
    edited March 2007
    True.

That said, there's only so many legal ways to actually get EXPOSED to new songs.

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    True.

That said, there's only so many legal ways to actually get EXPOSED to new songs.

Without spending hundreds upon thousands of dollars on CD's/music downloads, that is. Which, I suspect, is exactly their strategy.

mcdermott on
    edited March 2007
    Internet radio feeds me as a college student. Much more effectively than my career does, needless to say.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    edited March 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    True.

Without spending hundreds upon thousands of dollars on CD's/music downloads, that is. Which, I suspect, is exactly their strategy.

I may actually have to start listening to the free CDs indie bands shove in my face.

Incenjucar on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mcdermott wrote: »
    True.

Someone should really pose that question to them: "Okay, then what free and legal way would you suggest that consumers be exposed to new music? Surely you don't suggest that people be forced to blindly purchase songs without having the slightest idea whether the songs are any good."

And Incenjucar, at least you GET free CDs shoved in your face by indie bands. Some of us don't really get out to concerts. Pandora and its ilk is really the only free, legal outlet I have to get exposed to new music. Without it, I am completely and utterly at the mercy of the radio.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
    edited March 2007
    Such services already exist. Itunes and company. The only problem is they rarely offer the uncompressed file. Which is why I don't use said services.

Shurakai on
    edited March 2007
    The club I go to has live bands playing, and usually has Indie Bands on Fridays.

Never been to a real concert in my life (*napalm tears*)

--

That does leave one way though, if a clumsy one: Barnes and Noble lets you listen to ANYTHING they have in their stores, even if its not in stock, if you find one that has the head sets and the connection.

--

iTunes lets you listen to their songs without paying?

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2007
    iTunes lets you listen to their songs without paying?

Only snippets, which I assume is what he was talking about. But that's not really all that great for getting a feel for an entire song, and also isn't the preferred method for most people of getting exposed to new music. On Pandora, on the other hand, I can type in a band I like and kick back and do homework as many other similar artists (including ones I've never heard of) get played.

It's like radio that doesn't suck donkey cock.
    That does leave one way though, if a clumsy one: Barnes and Noble lets you listen to ANYTHING they have in their stores, even if its not in stock, if you find one that has the head sets and the connection.

I thought those systems didn't play the entire song. Or maybe it was that they didn't play every song on the CD.

mcdermott on
    edited March 2007
    Snippets suck. They're not even close to a reliable gauge of the song being played. Sometimes the snippet is the best part of the song, sometimes it's the worst part of the song. You need to hear the entire song before you can tell if you like it or not.

Gosling on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, snippets suck.

I'd rather park myself in a bookstore.

--

Man. I'm going to use Pandora while I still can. I've been too lazy to until now.

Incenjucar on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, this ain't gonna help the situation much:

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007/04/17/tech-webcast.html

:(

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wait.

How the heck can congress decide what royalties radio stations pay record labels?

Shouldn't the market decide the price of the royalties? Also, what power does Congress have over the internet, an international entity anyways?

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited April 2007
    Just got another email, things aren't looking good...
    Hi, it's Tim from Pandora,

I'm writing today to ask for your help. The survival of Pandora and all of Internet radio is in jeopardy because of a recent decision by the Copyright Royalty Board in Washington, DC to almost triple the licensing fees for Internet radio sites like Pandora. The new royalty rates are irrationally high, more than four times what satellite radio pays and broadcast radio doesn't pay these at all. Left unchanged, these new royalties will kill every Internet radio site, including Pandora.

In response to these new and unfair fees, we have formed the SaveNetRadio Coalition, a group that includes listeners, artists, labels and webcasters. I hope that you will consider joining us.

Please sign our petition urging your Congressional representative to act to save Internet radio: http://capwiz.com/saveinternetradio/issues/alert/?alertid=9631541

Please feel free to forward this link/email to your friends - the more petitioners we can get, the better.

Understand that we are fully supportive of paying royalties to the artists whose music we play, and have done so since our inception. As a former touring musician myself, I'm no stranger to the challenges facing working musicians. The issue we have with the recent ruling is that it puts the cost of streaming far out of the range of ANY webcaster's business potential.

I hope you'll take just a few minutes to sign our petition - it WILL make a difference. As a young industry, we do not have the lobbying power of the RIAA. You, our listeners, are by far our biggest and most influential allies.

As always, and now more than ever, thank you for your support.

tim_signature.jpg
    -Tim Westergren
    (Pandora founder)

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    What about broadcast stations who do a simultaneous webcast?

kitch on
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    kitch wrote: »
    What about broadcast stations who do a simultaneous webcast?

I thought they had all already been killed off in the states.

they already have to pay twice.

So... now they are going to have to pay more than twice, plus back fees for stuff they have already played.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Letters sent.

My representative usually is good on responding. Should be interesting.

Zen Vulgarity on