As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAM | Christmas is over; you may resume buying solely for yourself.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    After offering to help me with a BL1 pack purchase, @FredZ89 hooked me up with Prince of Persia '08

IoTVt.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Dire JayDire Jay Registered User regular
    My immense and independent gratitude to @Ashe for a copy of Indie Game: The Movie.

Also thanks to a non-forum friend who stealthed his way in and stabbed me in the face with Dishonored. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Oh, the Dawn of War franchise deal means you can get every single Dawn of War game and DLC for $10.

Which, in case you don't own them already, is one heck of a deal.

I'm considering it even though I do. I basically would be getting it to get Steam copies of Dawn of War I, Soulstorm (which I never bought) and Retribution.

• Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Just checked my email from work and saw that I've been classed by the classy @Banzai5150 with the classy gift of Mirrors Edge.

However he left me an ominous warning of "don't fall", so now I'm too scared to play.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodofalluGodofallu Oshkosh, WIRegistered User regular
    So Amazon has some great deals, but do they come up with new ones every day or what? I remember some Amazon rep said a new deal would occur on the 24th. So that means new deals have to pop up at time time interval.

Anyone actually understand what's going on over at Amazon?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Picked up the deck packs and expansions for Magic 2013, time to test em out.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    daily deals?

more like daily steals

• Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Please do not buy BB:Chaos Edition for that price. It used to be only 10 dollars if someone owns a previous version.

EDIT: Seems they bumped it up to 50%, still kinda pricey.

Adellios on
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Hm. Dungeon Defenders.
    Hmmmmmm

• Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    Dawn of War complete is interesting. Just got a 40k on loan from the library, maybe if I finish that in the next 47 hours I will have hyped myself up enough to get it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Hm. Dungeon Defenders.
    Hmmmmmm

While you could get DD for $3.74 on Steam right now, you can get it + all its DLC + a bunch of other great games from the Humble Indie Bundle for a little more than that.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Oh boy!

"We're sorry, this game is not avaiable in your region" is my favorite! Good thing it's on sale!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    I've never played any of the Dawn of War stuff and that's a LOT of stuff.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Hm. Dungeon Defenders.
    Hmmmmmm

While you could get DD for $3.74 on Steam right now, you can get it + all its DLC + a bunch of other great games from the Humble Indie Bundle for a little more than that.

Hmmmmmmmmm

• Options
    MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Ah the smell of new steam thread. Maybe we'll bust this one by tonight?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    Oh, the Dawn of War franchise deal means you can get every single Dawn of War game and DLC for $10.

Thinking about these. Generally I don't like classic RTS games (Warcraft, Command and Conquer, base builder type games). Everything gets reduced to build order and I lose interest. Will I like these, or are they built similar to classic RTS gameplay?

• Options
    Massena wrote: »

Thinking about these. Generally I don't like classic RTS games (Warcraft, Command and Conquer, base builder type games). Everything gets reduced to build order and I lose interest. Will I like these, or are they built similar to classic RTS gameplay?

Dawn of War II might be more of your thing; no base building or anything like that. You only control 4 main units at a time. It plays more like a real-time RPG.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

So how are the MTG games? I've been avoiding them as I heard that you can only use prebuilt decks and add a few cards to them, this completely goes against all the years I've spent playing MTG where you built your own deck and you liked it.

iRevert on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    @striferazor gifted me DE:HR out of the blue yesterday, thanks man!

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular

Dawn of War II is better multi if you don't like base building. But I REALLY recommend the campaigns of vanilla and DoW II. Both are pretty good stories.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    If I get the Darksiders franchise pack but already have Darksiders 1, will it be giftable?

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

So how are the MTG games? I've been avoiding them as I heard that you can only use prebuilt decks and add a few cards to them, this completely goes against all the years I've spent playing MTG where you built your own deck and you liked it.

Well I've never actually played the physical card game but always been interested in it, so they're fantastic for me.

I can imagine that a lack of full customisation might be a sore point to seasoned hobbyists, but the deck packs are pretty cheap and give you a bunch of stuff to mess around with.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    Trying to get into the holiday spirit, but all my steam friends own everything already. *cough cough*

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    If I get the Darksiders franchise pack but already have Darksiders 1, will it be giftable?
    No.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Huh, I won a copy of Perimeter 2 in a public Steamgifts giveaway. I don't know a thing about, it just looked spacy. I just checked and it's some kind of RTS. Any good?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

Dawn of War II might be more of your thing; no base building or anything like that. You only control 4 main units at a time. It plays more like a real-time RPG.

Yeah it feels more like an ARPG, ESPECIALLY if you can get someone to join you in coop and bump up the difficulty, the game really comes into its own.

Multiplayer's also different in that regard. You still make units, but there's no building in the traditional sense. You have one base structure which you upgrade over the course of the match to T2 and T3 levels, which allows you to make later units and upgrades. Resource collection is based around resources points in the field, which you capture and hold onto.

The gameplay itself is far more oriented to the in-the-field tactics and control as such. Cover, types of units, and how you use your abilities are much more important. I still like to play it today, although the multiplayer community is pretty much all based around Retribution now (since the other two DoW 2 games have been effectively deprecated for MP).

subedii on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

Well I've never actually played the physical card game but always been interested in it, so they're fantastic for me.

I can imagine that a lack of full customisation might be a sore point to seasoned hobbyists, but the deck packs are pretty cheap and give you a bunch of stuff to mess around with.

Keep in mind that if they just let you build decks from scratch they would be taking away sales from their full-fledged online MTG gathering, so that's never going to happen. This is more of an "arcade" version. Rules are the same, but there are pre-built decks with some swappables.

Still a really cool game. Worth the price for sure.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular

They're good, but if you play the physical card game, you might not have that much fun. I bought MTG 2013 on my iPad, I play it every once in a while, but using only prebuilt decks (and unlocking cards for this deck only) is getting old really fast, you know which decks are the most powerful, and most people play these decks online so you often face the same decks over and over again. At 5$ I'd say it is worth it though, the game is still fun if you do enjoy MTG.

Currently Playing: MH4U
    My Steam profile
    3DS: 1435-3951-4785
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    No.

Balls, and I was going to gift it too...

Oh well thanks.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Officially out of town and stuck on mobile for the next few days. You guys stay class and remember to update every deals site every few minutes for the next week.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Also, apparently when they guy doing the giveaway is from Germany or Scandanavia or something because this was the email I got.
    "Je hebt een geschenk ontvangen"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Also, apparently when they guy doing the giveaway is from Germany or Scandanavia or something because this was the email I got.

I believe it means you are now married. Congratulations!

Going away for 10 days, I just know I'm going to miss New Vegas at 90%.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    XCOM only at $33? Anyone seen it for lower anywhere else?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

First off, I also dislike the classic RTS formula, so that colors my opinions of the DoW franchise.

The original Dawn of War games are somewhat similar to classic RTS games but don't involve nearly as much resource micromanagement. There's base building and build order, but there's more of a focus on combat.

The first two Dawn of War II games get rid of base building and play like a squad-based real-time action RPG.

The third Dawn of War II game, Retribution, attempts to integrate some of the base building stuff, but not to the extent of DoW I and certainly not to the extent of Warcraft/Starcraft/etc.

Then again, it also features an Ork Warboss with a giant pirate hat, so it's not all bad.

The only DoW II multiplayer I've played is The Last Stand, which is a co-op horde mode with no base building at all.

So yeah, if you're on the fence, I'd pick up the pack for $10 since even if you skip DoW I, there's enough to make it worth the cash.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    subedii wrote: »

Yeah it feels more like an ARPG, ESPECIALLY if you can get someone to join you in coop and bump up the difficulty, the game really comes into its own.

Multiplayer's also different in that regard. You still make units, but there's no building in the traditional sense. You have one base structure which you upgrade over the course of the match to T2 and T3 levels, which allows you to make later units and upgrades. Resource collection is based around resources points in the field, which you capture and hold onto.

The gameplay itself is far more oriented to the in-the-field tactics and control as such. Cover, types of units, and how you use your abilities are much more important. I still like to play it today, although the multiplayer community is pretty much all based around Retribution now (since the other two DoW 2 games have been effectively deprecated for MP).

Thanks for the thoughts. Probably going to pass. Just trying to get into the sale a bit more, nothing's really on my radar and nothing's really calling to me. Come on Newell, is this the best you have?

• Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Ok so these donations are for PA forumer anoffday to complete an Let's Play of Bad Rats before the start of the Steam Winter Sale on 12/20. The Donations will go to Child's Play at the completion.

Donations are now closed.

Attained Goals
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    If you all raise, let's give you a challenge, $1,225 dollars then I will LP something of your choosing from my Steam library. If someone is willing to gift me something (I am kinda broke) and the community wants me to LP that, then I will begrudgingly accept the gift.

SmokeStacks wrote: »
    Shit, If it hits $1,500 I'll LP Bad Rats and I'll even enjoy it.

Ruiner999 wrote: »
    I don't have a means to donate currently, but I'll tell you something I will do. For a paltry donation of $10 to this cause, I'll write a song complete with lyrics, vocals, and a bitching solo to be the theme of this horrible game's playing. All songs will be offered up for free download on Soundcloud in WAV, FLAC, and MP3 so you can hear how awful I am.

InkSplat wrote: »
    If someone can think of something for me to do at $2k, I'm willing to offer myself up. I'm not a forum celeb or anything, but offer is on the table!

milski wrote: »
    I'll also volunteer my services for a let's play or (most) anything else if we can reach 2k, and put me in for $15 because I hate myself love you guys hate myself.

My brother has agreed to do an LP with me, separate from my solo..."experience", if you can all raise $2,500.

So, here comes the next big thing. Do we have any other musicians? I'm thinking for an increasing donation, we could team up and record a glorious Steam thread ode to whoever with full recorded drums, bass, and guitar(provided by me). PM me or message me on Steam, name's BornToHula. Literary and musical hacks need not apply.

simac wrote: »
    Or add another stretch goal: some form of steam thread anthem for $3000. I'm thinking "feed the world" with added spite gifting.

There we go! That's an idea to strive for. Simac has nailed the best idea I've seen so far.

3K folks, make this happen and we'll do the thing Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson never did: A Steam anthem about missed sales and other first world problems

MAKE THIS HAPPEN

CorriganX wrote: »
    If you hit 3k ill try to record a walkthrough on ustream.

This means i will have to play through bad rats again. Fuck.

EvilBadman wrote: »
    Song goals?! Gentlemen, we need another LP goal!

3000: Make me suffer. I dare you. I will BLIND run a game of the forum's choosing.

APODionysus wrote: »
    You know what? I'm in.

If this hits just 3700 (almost there!) I will also do a streaming LP of Bad Rats!

@Big Isy you have given much in the name of class. It is clear that money is no finite resource for you.

Perhaps you are willing to give up something more...limited?

If you all hit $4,000 CONFIRMED donations, then I will lock Big Isy's title as whatever the Steam Thread comes to a general consensus on.*

*Duration of title lock purely up to me.
    Tube just approved this one.

If you all somehow manage $5,000, then: the top donator will receive a not-so-free name change of their choosing.

The second highest will have their name change determined via a coin flip. Yes, THAT kind of coin flip for those in the know. Dare you risk it?

APODionysus wrote: »
    You know what? I'm in.

If it hits 4000? I'll play whatever you pick out of my library BLIND. A Hitman game? BLIND. Myst or Riven? BLIND. No guides or walkthroughs!

Botznoy wrote: »
    Whelp, i've been telling a couple of my friends about the classiness of this thread and they're amazed by what you've achieved so that's cool

also if this hits six thousand i'll do a LP of any game in my steam library.
    Also, for paltrier donations of $5 to this cause, I'll write you your own theme song, replete with "[Blank] is the best!" and gang vocals. All songs will be offered up for free download on Soundcloud in WAV, FLAC, and MP3 so you can hear how awful I am.

Forumers owe'd a song

Gear Girl
    Banzai5150
    Dahkath
    TPSou

Ongoing Goals

SmokeStacks wrote: »

Speaking of, it looks like we've demolished $5k, and need some more goals.

for every additional $100 that is raised above $5,000 I will LP a horrible song chosen by the community on AudioSurf. Friday? Stupid Hoe? How You Remind Me? Trololo? Nothing is off limits. Make it happen.

CURRENT DONATIONS
    Handgimp $1360.41 (Donation Confirmed)
    Big Isy $609.09 (Donation Confirmed)
    Elvenshae $416.56 (Donation Confirmed)
    lolo for $308.41 (Donation Confirmed)
    Minor Incident $275.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Ketar 251.91 (Donation Confirmed)
    KafkaAU $250.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Banzai5150 $220.42 (Donation Confirmed)
    Stolls $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    RoyceSraphim $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Undead Scottsman for $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    aerynkelly $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    TeeMan $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    HeirTransparent $100.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    simac $53.26 (Donation Confirmed)
    Commander Zoom $52.96 (Donation Confirmed)
    mts $51.63 (Donation Confirmed)
    Idx86 for $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Roshin $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    AnakinOU $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Elderlycrawfish $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    TPSou $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Gear Girl $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Stryker43 $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    abotkin $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Elbasunu $50.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Fanda $44.98 (Donation Confirmed)
    SvK $41.23 (Donation Confirmed)
    testsubject23 $40.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Dire Jay $40.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Incindium $40.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Penumbra $39.96 (Donation Confirmed)
    lowlylowlycook $39.82 (Donation Confirmed)
    an_alt $39.34 (Donation Confirmed)
    Muppetman $34.68 (Donation Confirmed)
    Spuz $32.30 (Donation Confirmed)
    Custom Special $30.56 (Donation Confirmed)
    kal $30.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    SoulGate $30.00
    Dark Raven X $30.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    DoctorArch $29.98 (Donation Confirmed)
    Mercutio87 $28.99 (Donation Confirmed)
    BathTubb $28.98 (Donation Confirmed)
    jclast $25.19 (Donation Confirmed)
    Lord Yod $25.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    RandomHajile $25.00 (for something from the Amazon wishlist for Cincinnati Children's Hospital)
    Dahkath $25.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Pemulis $25.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Fig-D $25.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Blendtec $25.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    heenato $24.89 (Donation Confirmed)
    Heatwave $23.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    shdwcaster $23.23 (Donation Confirmed)
    bloodatonement $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Lord_Snot $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    anoffday $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Gaardean $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Bolthorn $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    OneAngryPossum $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    initiatefailure $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    JMan711 $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Viking $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Darth Nathan $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Hyperion $20.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Mad Jazz $20.00
    CorporateRed $19.99 (Donation Confirmed)
    Elin $15.48 (Donation Confirmed)
    vegeta_666 $15.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    milski $15.00
    DanWeino $15.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    HiT BiT $13.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    UreshiiAkuma $12.95 (Donation Confirmed)
    baudattitude $12.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    ebotastic $11.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    CroakerBC $10.06 (Donation Confirmed)
    Maz- $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    SoundsPlush $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    joshgotro for $10.00
    rikdaly $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Krummith $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Stragint $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    cardboard delusions $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    striderjg $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    staplerofpaper $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Xenogear_0001 $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Spoit $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Professor Snugglesworth $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Forar $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    InkSplat $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    ironsizide $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Sumanai $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    SkyTurnsRed $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Luchaire $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    EvilMonkey $10.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Khade97 $8.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Doodmann $5.00 (Donation Confirmed)
    Drovek $5.00 (Donation Confirmed)

Final Total

$6314.27

I'll keep this one updated as we go along.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options

That's Dutch!

...no, I don't speak Dutch. But I'm sure someone else here does.

• Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    Every time I try to get DOW 2 to run I get some error with Windows Live or some crap and it never works.

• Options
    @bloodatonement is a classy classy dude for sending me a code for Dungeon Defenders after seeing my lamentations about today's sale.
    You have my utmost thanks!!

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

I'm not gonna take this as an insult to the glorious German language, but that's Dutch.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
This discussion has been closed.