As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Best Christmas Ever

SoundscreamSoundscream Registered User new member
Hey guys, I've been a longtime PA reader but never hit the forums. After everything that has happened in the last few weeks, me and some of my MWO buddies were talking about our best Christmas stories and I thought I would share mine with you guys.

The year was 1998. I was a Junior in highschool and the year after I'd destroyed my knee for good playing soccer. After the injury I sunk all my free time into my other biggest hobby, gaming. At this time my console of choice was the N64 and like myself, it was the odd one of the bunch and everything about it looked funny. I love my N64 though and spent hours post chores and homework playing the likes of Bomberman 64 (loved the twist ending if you got all the gold cards) and Turok (go go gadget nuke!). This year was different though. An old friend was arriving just in time for Christmas. At long last, Link and Zelda were coming in 3D rendered polygonal glory. All I could think about this year was Ocarina of time. In around August my dad asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I made it abundantly clear that I wanted nothing more than this game, to which he responded "There is no way I'm spending $60 on a game. Stop wishing, it isn't going to happen". Now, my dad has always been supportive of anything I did and my hobbies so this struck me as odd but none the less, as the months rolled by he was consistent on the fact that he would not spend that amount of money on a video game. Every time we'd see a commercial, or he'd come in to see me reading n64.com (aka now called ign.com) he'd stop and comment that no game was worth $60. At long last Christmas day came and gifts were opened. I got a lot of nice things but one noteworthy item was missing. It seemed my father was true to his word, there would be no adventures in Hyrule for me this year. I did my best to be positive though. I mean hey, there are alot of kids that don't get anything for Christmas, or don't have food, or don't even have both parents to celebrate with. I helped clean up and went back to my room to put things away, when my dad called from the living room for some help. I walked in to have him throw a box at me. I opened it to find the gold collectors edition of Ocarina of time at which point my dad started laughing at me. He had it reserved almost the whole time he had been teasing me about its price. That's right...my beloved father...trolled me on Christmas with the Legend of Zelda. To this day I don't know if I should be angry or proud but I'll never forget sitting on the floor in front of the TV, with my dad next to me, and watching Epona's silhouette glide across the green hills of Hyrule field. That was the best Christmas ever.

This discussion has been closed.