As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] Kingmaker OOC Thread (Game closed due to Alien Abductions!)

• Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    currently searching rulebooks for "place bucket on opponent's head" skill check...

PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    Act 1 38: In which our heroes discover that their trusted wagon was a mimic all along...

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I knew it!

• Options
    Post is incoming! Just got some Saturday morning chores to wrap up, then it's onwards... TO ACT 1!

I'll assume Kil and Talon are ready.

• Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    Yes sorry I am. Heads up I will be teaching a medical class over the weekend so I probably won't post until Sunday afternoon

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I DM my own group on Saturdays. >_>

But I'm totes ready.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    And Chapter 1 is finally up!

Edit: Your standing outside the fortress gates, for clarity's sake.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Decided to speed things along and decided to let you guys go in ahead so long.

As stated in the post, the man is completely oblivious to your presence (that is, till you hail him).

I placed the rooftops in the buildings, in case you want to scope the place around.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Sorry if this is intruding, but I just wanted to say I love that you guys are running this. My gaming group spent just over 2 years (we had issues getting together the second year so it was sporadic) playing through the entire Kingmaker campaign and it was incredible! I'll be reading the IC thread!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    @Gatsby:

Gonna respond to Gareth before we continue?

@Kilnaga:
    Got something to add IC before we continue?

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Sorry if this is intruding, but I just wanted to say I love that you guys are running this. My gaming group spent just over 2 years (we had issues getting together the second year so it was sporadic) playing through the entire Kingmaker campaign and it was incredible! I'll be reading the IC thread!

I've heard some good things about Kingmaker. It was a choice between this, Legacy of Fire or even Skull and Shackles before finally deciding on Kingmaker. LoF was more 'Arabian Nights' in nature (a fantasy setting I do love, more so than the 'sword and sorcery' Dark Sun), and I do love me some pirates in an RPG, but I think Kingmaker was a solid choice, as it allowed more PC freedom.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I demand a jar of peanut butter!

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Sorry for letting you guys wait a bit.

On the other hand, long post is long. So in the end I think that makes up for it.

• Options
    No worries!

what a happy day it is
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    also, since Talon is busy, he posted this in the Crumbling Citadels thread
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    Just giving everyone a heads up, this weekend is my National Guard unit's drill weekend. Which means I get to go sit at the combat range all weekend with my med bag waiting for a grunt to shoot himself.

I might not be around until Sunday night / Monday morning.

So the rest can chime in their posts while we wait for Talon.

Edit: also, something weird: Gatsby posted in the IC thread, but its not notifying me, even though I got all my threads bookmarked :/

CURSE YOU, VANILLAAAA!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Shh! Geth's after you, remember!

Anyways, I think the plan will probably be wake up, ambush bandits, kill everyone but one, and coerce the survivor to give up the bandit camp. I get the feeling that's what our thing is! Kidnapping and extortion! :D

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    doomybear wrote: »
    Shh! Geth's after you, remember!

Don't know what your talking 'bout, stranger. No dragon men 'round these here parts, oh no!

Guess the rest of the party is still enamored with the stew to talk or ask more questions.

I'll post up something soon. Had a busy weekend with some family members.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    OK! Post is up.

Once again, apologies about the lack of updates during the weekend. Many a hobgoblin minion of mine have been disciplined for my failure. Gotta be a stern Dungeon Master round here, otherwise they might form a ...*GASP*... Union!

@Gatsby
    @Talonrazor
    @Kilnaga
    @NerfThatMan
    @SaberOverEasy

Other than Dhyrn (@doomybear: who I'm going to assume is already !Ready due to his post) the rest of you can ask any questions to the Leveltons. The Leveltons have a spare building adjacent to the 'tavern', offering 4 beds for the weary traveler.

Otherwise, post your !Ready in the IC thread, so that we can continue with the story.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Hey I am backing and throwing posts up.

sig4.jpg
  • Options

Welcome back, ye razor of many talons. How was the Drill Weekend? Sounded quite intense if it was the National Guard D:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    That just leaves @Kilnaga, @NerfThatMan, @Gatsby (though I think he's just got his hands full with his Eberron game), and @SaberOverEasy.

Edit: Apologies if I'm seen as a broken record, but after running a few games here on the forums, having players not responding (either IC or OOC) tend to make me wary (and afraid) that the game might die D:

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    TiamatZ wrote: »

Welcome back, ye razor of many talons. How was the Drill Weekend? Sounded quite intense if it was the National Guard D:

Sucked. Three hours of ceremony means three hours at Parade Rest. Boo!

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    TiamatZ wrote: »

Sucked. Three hours of ceremony means three hours at Parade Rest. Boo!

Boo indeed!

Know what's not to boo? Rolling some dice to slay some dragons that may or may not inhabit dungeons (even more awesome if said dungeon turned out to be the dragon).

Mimic dungeons, anyone?

edit: Hmmmm... *scribbles down some notes*

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Would this dragon be named Lord Jabu-Jabu?

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Would this dragon be named Lord Jabu-Jabu?

I was thinking more on the lines of, either an enormous Dragon Turtle going by the name of Lord Qwib-Qwib, or a transforming dungeon. Said dungeon transforms into a giant clockwork golem (something akin to Shadow of the Colossus size and style).

But sure, let's add a giant whale while we're at it :)

Anywhoo, post will be coming in tonight.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    OK, post is up now.

Long post is long, and huge map is huge (probably my largest map ever made in all of my PbPs)!

Choose a spot, roll your respective rolls, and post your !Readies

Any questions? It's what the OOC thread is for :)

Happy hunting!

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Sorry I've been AWOL the last few days. I haven't been feeling well and have been pretty much stuck in bed. :(

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Question: Being as small as I am, can I hide in the midden heaps at a crouch instead of going full prone? ;>_>

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Hmm...Okay, so I have some questions before hiding Dhyrn somewhere.

Are the rooftops a feasible hiding place? Would jumping down be an acrobatics or athletics check and a move action or something?

I know it's doubtful, but are there enough furs and leathers and goods that Dhyrn could bury himself in the pile and hide there? (Could Nemo do that?)

And lastly, if Dhyrn wanted to hide at (R, 5), would he first have to hide in the Z column and then walk over after the bandits come in, or could he just set up behind a bunch of leaning planks or something there?

We should probably just stow Jasper away somewhere while the rest of us fight, and Oleg and Svetlana can hole up in their home, too. We could do this in 2 teams of 3 on different sides, giving each half one defender, one ranged, and one other. On the other hand, we might be better off sticking together.

We can't let them get to the gate and escape. I think there are ladders at (Z, 15) and (I, 5) going up to the palisade walls, so we need to get rid of them before the ambush. Maybe we could use Jasper, telling him to wait until the battle starts, and then have him close the gate?

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    Question: Being as small as I am, can I hide in the midden heaps at a crouch instead of going full prone? ;>_>

Sure, I'd allow it.
    Hmm...Okay, so I have some questions before hiding Dhyrn somewhere.

Are the rooftops a feasible hiding place? Would jumping down be an acrobatics or athletics check and a move action or something?

I know it's doubtful, but are there enough furs and leathers and goods that Dhyrn could bury himself in the pile and hide there? (Could Nemo do that?)

And lastly, if Dhyrn wanted to hide at (R, 5), would he first have to hide in the Z column and then walk over after the bandits come in, or could he just set up behind a bunch of leaning planks or something there?

We should probably just stow Jasper away somewhere while the rest of us fight, and Oleg and Svetlana can hole up in their home, too. We could do this in 2 teams of 3 on different sides, giving each half one defender, one ranged, and one other. On the other hand, we might be better off sticking together.

We can't let them get to the gate and escape. I think there are ladders at (Z, 15) and (I, 5) going up to the palisade walls, so we need to get rid of them before the ambush. Maybe we could use Jasper, telling him to wait until the battle starts, and then have him close the gate?

Rooftops are feasible. Moving on them counts as difficult terrain (as it's slanted), and jumping down is considered a move action (though falling down is a free action). The rooftops themselves are at least 10 feet high, so when jumping down, the Reduce Falling Damage rule takes effect (I'll post it as a spoiler below).

Reduce Falling Damage (Acrobatics Trained only):
    Reduce Falling Damage: Free action if you fall or a move action if you jump down.
    Damage Reduced: Make an Acrobatics check, and reduce the amount of falling damage you take by one-half your check result (round down). If the falling damage is reduced to 0, the creature lands standing.

There's not enough furs to hide Dhyrn, but Nemo could hide in them. So it's doable.

As for the last question, the former is more preferable, as there aren't any leaning planks to hide behind there.

As for the rest of the NPCs, Sveltana will be out of the fight (she's considered hiding in A6), and Oleg has to be outside to meet the bandits. Once the ambush starts, you can decide where he needs to go (or who to fight, but he will be unarmed). As for Jasper, it's up to you to decide what to do with him.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Jumping off rooftops sounds like too much fun to pass up, even if there's a chance Dhyrn could fall flat on his face. I'm going to wait and see what the others have to say before making a decision, but I can wake up Dhyrn for now.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    @Gatsby: And here I thought rolling a natural 20 would be impossible with the original DC (which was 19, by the way).

You Your dice sure showed me D:

• Options
    OK, got some good/bad news for you all, depending on your perspective.

I'm sent to some training course over the weekend due to some obscure work policy, and as such, will be gone for the weekend.

In the meantime, Gatsby is the only one ready so far. Also, I have yet to hear anything from @SaberOverEasy, and if he/she/it is sick, I'm hoping a speedy recovery from my end.

FOr the rest of you, plan your ambush, then choose your spots, and get your !Ready on!

• Options
    Arifyn is totally going to try and rig some kind of Home Alone shit. What kind of skill checks / resources can he do to try to rig hot boiling cooking oil, flaming wagons, crushing logs, etc?

sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Arifyn is totally going to try and rig some kind of Home Alone shit. What kind of skill checks / resources can he do to try to rig hot boiling cooking oil, flaming wagons, crushing logs, etc?

Setting up traps will require a Thievery Check (The higher the result, the higher the Perception Check NPCs will have to beat to discover the trap). You'll need to use any alchemical items should you want to create an elemental based trap (e.g. using Alchemist Fire with Thievery to set up a fiery bomb/mine, or Alchemist Frost for an Ice bomb). In addition, if your going to make a tripwire trap, you'll need to implement ropes or wires as well. If you want, you can set up some fire traps inside the large wagon (I'll consider adding +2 to the Perception check on enemy rolls, since you hide the traps inside it). With an hour of preparation, I'll allow the creation of two traps.

Edit: Attack/Damage/Attack radius is based on the used alchemical item's properties for the trap.

There aren't any logs (much less large ones) to set up crushing logs.

For a pot/cauldron of hot boiling oil, there's not enough time to boil the oil in time for the ambush, so that's out of the question.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    Edit: Regarding Arifyn's IC post

Oleg has two Alchemist Fires (Level 1) and a spare Alchemist Frost (Lvl 1) items that he has in storage, as well as some simple wires for a wiring trap (it's a bit rusty though, so its more easy to spot [-5 to DCs]).

I'll add that into the IC post.

SO far, we got Dhyrn and Smith ready, just the rest to get their spots ready. If no one has posted their !Ready before the end of the week, I'll just hide them in random spots and take 10 on their stealth rolls. Much as I'd like you guys to plan things out, I'd also like to get this game rolling again for the rest of the players, if you don't mind.

• Options
    Now I got this thought in my head about the party and the Leveltons leaving Arifyn in charge of the trading post for Christmas night, and bandits lead by Herry the Harasser and Marvin the Marauder invading said post. Arifyn arms the post to the teeth with all sorts of traps and gizmos, surviving on his wits alone.

Hilarity ensues, until the authorities arrive to apprehend the bandits and Arifyn for 'disturbing the peace of the local neighborhood kingdom'.

• Options
    Just waiting on Talon to see if he will make the traps.

To the rest of you: You guys finally decided on where you will hide?

• Options
    Thievery: 1d20+2 20

Yesss! Going to setup the fire flasks in the wagon and push it near the entrance, off to the side. The wire will be used as a det cord. Basically, not a tripwire but rather a line for Arifyn to pull. He's going to hide near the building and pull the line when they walk in.

He also is going to bury the ice flask underneath the ground out in the side away from the wagon. Plan is to establish it so the fire bomb goes off and those fleeing the bomb will hit the buried ice bomb.

Do I need to make a second roll for that?

He is going to hide towards the outbuilding near the gate.

Stealth: 1d20+2 22

Yessss the dice are loving me..... He hides so well.

sig4.jpg