Battle Royale – Players Handbook
A) Battle Royale. The infamous ‘game’ spoken only in hushed tones, a rumored event that has more truth than one would like to believe. Many battles have been fought and many lives lost to The Program, and each time it is played the toll increases. A new tournament is about to start and the rules have been changed… do you have the wits to survive Battle Royale?
This game follows all the standard phalla rules on this forum. I do not need to be given access to any proboards or anything else. I do need to be copied on trade PMs so I can accurately keep track of who has what.
II) Participants Roles and Win Conditions
A) Players may now choose their own destinies in this game – no more random selection of abilities. At the start of the game, all players have the opportunity to take a lover or declare a rival. Some players might be lone wolves looking out for only themselves. All roles offer their own selection of special abilities to take to the game; even dedicated students have their own abilities to take. Upon signing up, PM your role choice to Ardor. If you wish to be a Lover, you may change your choice to lover upon a PM agreement with you and your partner before Day 1 begins. Once all players have chosen a role, all players are divided randomly into schools; roles that players select have no bearing on what school a player gets assigned to. All players have base 3 hit points.
1) Dedicated Student – Play the part of an average student, dragged into the game against your will. While you may not have any extreme advantages over the rest of the field, together with your teammates or other allies, you may stand a chance of survival. Just beware of lone wolves and other possible traitors... You may choose one of the following bonuses:
a) Melee Specialist – You gain one extra melee attack at -20% chance with all melee weapons. The -20% hit chance applies to your bonus attack.
b) Ranged Specialist - +10% hit chance with all ranged weapons.
c) Explosive Specialist – You gain a -30% chance to dodge explosive attacks. Splash damage does 1 less damage to you.
d) Lucky! – You start with two items instead of one.
e) Bully – You may choose up to three rivals this game. Yes, this does mean you could potentially get +3 damage to all of your attacks.
f) Tough – You start with 4 hit points instead of 3.
g) Insightful – You start with the knowledge of how to escape the island. This does not grant you all the requirements, you simply know what they are. You also gain a free search action that will only locate support items.
h) Perceptive – Once per day, you may choose to analyze a single player or make a search for free, in addition to your other actions. You gain the dodge bonus of analyze against your target.
i) Martial Arts Specialist – You took a karate class as a kid! Your unarmed attacks are improved. When using an unarmed attack, your base chance to hit is now 80% and you may attack two times each night. Brass Knuckles allow you to attack three times each night. In addition, when using unarmed attacks, you may block one melee attack per night. You may only carry 2 items instead of the usual 3.
2) Lovers – There may be someone involved in Battle Royale that you cannot bear to be separated from. The relationship between the two of you will provide you with strength to survive the game as you look out for each other’s safety. But if you lose your partner, there may be consequences. A pair of players may take the Lovers role by mutual agreement in PM to Ardor. Both players must agree to this in a PM. Lovers may win with each other’s team. You are allowed one of the following bonuses as a team:
a) Shared Fate – You may each choose a single bonus from the Dedicated Student list. You and your lover pool your total hit points together and share that hit point pool. Once that hit point pool is depleted, you will both die.
b) Together Forever – As long as you and your lover are in the same zone, you each gain a -10% dodge bonus, you each start with 4 hit points and you may negate one lethal attack per day. When you negate a lethal attack, you will call out the name of your lover for all to hear in that zone. When you or your lover dies, the other one will also die. (Example: MrBlarney and Infidel are lovers. MrBlarney takes a lethal hit but it is negated due to their bonus. MrBlarney will shout out to Infidel that he will survive for their future or something equally as sappy.)
c) Sworn Vengeance – You and your lover are both treated as Dedicated Students with no bonuses. You each start with 4 hit points. However, if you or your lover dies, the surviving lover now gains all remaining players as rivals that are not on their team. It will be clearly identified to the players in your zone that you have sworn vengeance for the death of your loved one. You also get healed to full hit points. Yes, this does mean you could potentially have a lot of damage bonus to your attacks.
3) Lone Wolf – There are certain exceptional students who have no need for allies that will only slow their progress, students that are in the game only for themselves. Some students have been rumored to sign themselves or their own schools up for The Program just for the thrill. These dangerous players will not stop until they stand alone at the game’s end. If you are not granted the request, you will be given a Dedicated Student role. Lone Wolves may only win as the last player standing or escaping. Lone Wolves do not win with their school team. Lone Wolves start with 5 hit points. There can only be maximum 2 Lone Wolves in the game. All players who wish to be a Lone Wolf will send this request to Ardor when signing up for the game. Lone Wolves may pick 1 of the following bonuses:
a) Weapons Expert – Gain +20% hit chance with all weapons. You are guaranteed to start with a weapon. You may state if you want a melee, ranged or explosive weapon. You will randomly get a weapon from the list that you pick.
b) Kitano’s Pet – Your collar is deactivated. Anytime you help kill a player, you are awarded with a random item from Kitano. You may ask Kitano the location of a single player each day and he will tell you. Kitano will always tell you the following each night:
i) The location of your rival
ii) How many other Lone Wolves are alive
iii) How many couples are still alive
c) Survivor – Start with 8 hit points instead of 5.
d) Hatred – All lovers in your zone will be identified to you each night. When you find a lover, you gain them as a rival.
e) Maniacal – You gain all players as rivals. You are identified as a Lone Wolf in the narration after you help kill two players (resulting in +2 damage to your attacks), or you are still alive on Day 3, whichever comes first. Once identified, you gain one of the following bonuses of your choice:
i) +3 current and max hit points
ii) +20% dodge bonus
iii) A weapon type of your choice. I will RNG two weapons and let you pick one.
iv) -1 damage from each player per night.
4) Declaring a Rival – This is an option for all players. You may declare one player to be your rival. You gain a +10% hit bonus against that player at all times. If your rival dies and you have dealt at least 1 point of damage to them during the night they die, you will now deal +1 damage to all of your attacks for the rest of the game. Consequently, you may not escape the island if your rival is still alive. You may win the game with your rival alive if they are on the same team as you.
5) Win Conditions - As a Dedicated Student, your win condition is to be the last team standing or escape the island by the end of day 7. You will be notified of your team during Day 1. The game ends after day 7 has resolved and if you and your team are the last ones alive, you will win. The game will not end if any lone wolves are amongst the living, unless there is only 1 lone wolf left alive at the end. Beware when trying to escape, any lone wolves with you may get you killed instead of off the island!
As a Lover, you also win with the above conditions as well as the fact that you may count yourself as a teammate of your lover's school and your lover counts as your school.
As a Lone Wolf, your object is to simply be the last one standing or you may escape. If you escape with other players, will you kill them all in the attempt, allowing yourself a solo escape. However, if you and the other lone wolf both try to escape together, you will kill each other before you kill any of the students.
III) Participant Rules and Mechanics
1) Players have a variety of actions they can take each day of the game. Daily actions have been split into two phases: Action and Movement. In the Action phase, players can search the area, make attacks against other players, or try to discern other players’ roles. In the Movement phase, players can move or dig in one’s defenses.
2) Normally, players may hold up to three items in their inventories at a time. Item management can be performed during turns, usually as free actions. Trading and dropping items will never take up a person’s other actions. Some items may be used automatically or as a free action, but others are required to be used in place of or part of a regular Action.
3) Players also have the usual voting abilities, but their effects have been slightly changed. Three types of votes are in place: one will mark other players with a reward for elimination, another will drop a bonus item into a selected zone, and the last will select zones for closure.
B) Free Actions
1) Manage Inventory – You may pick up items you find in an area or drop them from your held inventory. You will have exclusive control of these items until the end of the day – nobody will be able to find or take items not in your possession until then. However, items that are not in your inventory at the end of the day may be lost to other players even if you remain in the zone.
2) Use Item – Certain items are freely usable, taking no regular action time to execute. See specific item descriptions for details.
3) Trade Item – Items may be traded between players freely or given from one player to another. To make a trade, one player should PM their trade partner and Ardor the details of the deal (what items are being given/traded). The second player should verify the trade to Ardor and the original player. When both players have agreed to the trade, consider it done. If a player is only giving an item to another, consent is not required. If the person receiving an item is now above their carry limit, it will be considered a dropped item unless the player updates their inventory in a PM to Ardor. If the person receiving the item does not want it, they should submit a PM to give it back or give it to someone else.
C) Action Phase – In the Action Phase, players choose one of the following actions: (Default is Defend)
1) Attack – The most basic action, you will Attack a target with a selected weapon or default unarmed attack; some weapons provide multiple hit attempts that can be distributed between multiple targets. Every attack has a certain probability of success depending on weapon type, equipment, and abilities. Each hit attempt has a maximum hit chance of 90% and minimum hit chance of 10%. Attacks are normally resolved in the order of Ranged first, Melee second, and Explosives last; this may be modified depending on zone. If you kill your opponent, you will take their items (if you move, you will have all of the items with you in the next zone to review). Bonuses to hit and dodge are calculated as products instead of sums. For example, if a player has a bonus 10% to hit with an attack that has a base 60% chance to hit, the attack chance will be 60% + (60%*10%) = 66% or a bonus +6% chance to hit. Multipliers for hit and dodge use the base attack chance. So if the target of the above attack also has a 20% dodge modifier, it means they reduce the chance to hit by 60%*20% = 12%. Overall, this attack has a 54% chance of hitting (60% + 6% - 12%).
2) All-Out Attack – For those who want to aggressively hunt their foes, the All-Out Attack will allow players to make 50% more hit attempts, rounded up. For example, an attack with one hit per round normally (including the default attack) will make two hit attempts instead; an attack with three hits per round normally will make five hit attempts instead. One-use items cannot be used with an All-Out Attack action. All attacks made during an All-Out Attack suffer a -20% Hit Penalty. If you make an All-Out Attack, you may not make a Hold Ground action in the Movement Phase; you may only Move or take no action in that phase.
3) Aimed Attack – For those who wish to take care in making sure they hit their target. One-use items cannot be used with an Aimed Attack action. If you make an Aimed Attack, you may not make a Hold Ground action in the Movement Phase; you may only Move or take no action in that phase. The Aimed Attack action gives you two benefits. First, you negate any dodge bonuses your target has and second, you have a +20% chance to hit. However, you have 50% less attacks (rounded up) than normal.
4) Set Trap – This special action allows you to set up a Trap from your inventory in your current area.
5) Use Item – Other items that cannot be used in a free action may be used in the Action Phase.
6) Defend – If you need to defend against an attack, the Defend action will allow you to increase your chances of avoiding attacks. You gain a -30% Dodge Bonus against all attacks made against you.
7) Cover – You can also defend other people from attacks with a Cover action. Any attacks made against a specified target will instead be directed against you. You gain a -20% Dodge Bonus against all attacks made against you or your target. Beware that items dealing splash damage have a chance to hit both players.
8) Search – With a Search action, you attempt to find useful items that may be hidden within an area. You will also have a higher chance of obtaining any dropped items other players have left behind by counting yourself as if you were two players. (Example: Ardor, MrBlarney and Lonelyahava are in the same zone. If Lonelyahava leaves the zone and drops 3 items, MrBlarney and Ardor would each get at least 1 item, with one of them getting two. If Ardor was searching this round, he’s guaranteed the 2 items.
9) Analyze – You may investigate your fellow players with an Analyze action. The specified target’s role and school will be learned, though specifics about their health and special abilities will remain hidden. You will also learn what concealed items that player may be carrying. You will also gain a -40% Dodge Bonus against that specific player’s attacks against you, but not against other players’ attacks. You may Analyze up to two players with this action.
D) Movement Phase – In the Movement Phase, players choose one of the following actions:
1) Move – The basic movement action, you will Move up to two zones. If you are making an Attack, All-Out Attack, Aimed Attack, Cover, or Analyze action, you may attempt to follow a target if they move, and will follow as closely as possible – if they do not move, then you will not move either.
2) Hold Ground – If you do not wish to move, you can make a Hold Ground action to boost your defensive capabilities. You gain a -10% Dodge Bonus against all attacks made against you in the Attack Phase. You may not make a Hold Ground action if an All-Out Attack or Aimed Attack action was taken in the Action Phase. This stacks with Cover or Defend actions.
3) Follow [Player] - If you wish to follow someone, you can use that as your move action.
4) Escape – Details are very limited when it comes to escaping the facility. Requirements for a successful escape include having your collar deactivated, but other information may become available through player interactions or details found during the game.
E) Voting Phase
1) Vote for Marking – Vote someone to be marked for elimination by voting for them in bold red. The player with the most votes at the end of the day will be marked for elimination by the other players: the player that eliminated the marked player will win a random item as a reward. In the case of multiple players simultaneously taking the bounty, the reward will randomly go to one of the players. If there is a tie in the vote, multiple players may be marked. This is subject to change if Ardor is not pleased with the daily results.
2) Vote for Zone Closure – Vote for zones on the facility to be closed be voting for them in bold dodgerblue. The zones with the most votes will be shut down the following day, and no travel will be allowed in those zones for the rest of the game. Moving into a closed zone will result in death! Be sure to move if the zone you’re in is about to close. The number of zones that close each night is dependent on the number of players remaining, usually one or two each night. This is subject to change if Ardor is not pleased with the daily results.
3) Vote for Reward – Vote for a player be awarded a bonus item in bold limegreen. The player with the most votes will have a reward item given to them. Only one package will be given on any given night. A tie can result in no bonus or a RNG deciding who gets it. This is subject to change if Ardor is not pleased with the daily results. If the player who gets the most lime votes ends up dead, the item acts as if it was on them and will be split amongst the spoils.
4) NOTE! You are not required to vote for anything. Inactivity is punished by fellow students and/or zone closings. The days will end at 10pm CST.
F) Order of Actions
1) All Free Actions happen before any other actions are resolved.
2) Action Phase actions are resolved with Use Item first, followed by Attacks, Aimed Attacks and All-Out Attacks simultaneously, finishing with the Set Trap, Search, and Analyze actions. Attacks are resolved in the order of Ranged, Melee, and Explosives, except when the area changes this order, or if certain items supersede the order.
3) Movement Phase actions are resolved simultaneously.
4) Vote results are carried out.