As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

new time warner modem policy

JarsJars Registered User regular
I'm not sure how many other people use their internet, but recently they came out with this thing saying you have to rent your modem from now on but they give you the option of buying your own. so while looking around for modems I noticed there is a lawsuit against them about renting stuff, but I don't know if it really means anything. Should I still look into buying the modem? and secondly has anyone gone out and purchased one that can offer any suggestions?

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    i use them (but hope to move in a few months so i'm sticking it out with the rental)

from my limited research, there are two prevailing schools of thought

1. getting your own modem is awesome, and it saves you money (and gets you better equipment, replaces multiple devices, etc.)

and

2. getting your own modem just gives TW an easy scapegoat whenever you have issues. "oh, your internet is cutting out? it's your modem, sorry"

so yeah, not much help, but that's what i've found. if you're still looking to buy, there are good reviews on Amazon of the very few models that they support. if you buy, go DOCIS 3.0. Oh, and as far as i've seen, none of the externally purchased modems they list support "triple play" - so if you currently have VOIP service through TW, you'll need one of their devices.

• Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Comcast does this same thing out here (or at least did when I first signed up with them), and while people's experiences may differ, I have never had any trouble with them of the sort @illig describes in school of thought #2. They've pretty uniformly helped when I've had service interruptions, and have never blamed my modem (or in fact my routers) unduly.

Now, Comcast isn't Time Warner, and YMMV, but I would recommend simply purchasing your own modem. I have never once regretted it.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I haven't dealt with cable, but I happily bought and used the same DSL modem across two different providers in two different states... the only problem is a storm eventually zapped that one through the phone line. We then proceeded to buy our own modem again (compatible with our provider) and everything's peachy. And tech support (as little as we've used it) hasn't ever blamed our modem as far as I can remember. Actually, tech support on our current provider TOLD us that we could go buy any generic ADSL2 modem (you may need something more specific) and it would work fine, and then gave us the necessary info for my mom to set it up on her own. Your mileage will definitely vary because you're on Time Warner (bleh), but it should work out fine.

Essee on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    I have Time Warner, and I decided to just buy my own modem. Less hassle that way.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    naporeon wrote: »
    Comcast does this same thing out here (or at least did when I first signed up with them), and while people's experiences may differ, I have never had any trouble with them of the sort @illig describes in school of thought #2. They've pretty uniformly helped when I've had service interruptions, and have never blamed my modem (or in fact my routers) unduly.

Now, Comcast isn't Time Warner, and YMMV, but I would recommend simply purchasing your own modem. I have never once regretted it.

I'm in the same boat. While I don't like comcast at all (but have no meaningful choice in my part of Chicago), I haven't had any problem from them with owning my own modem. At least for me, when I signed up they were very clear and actually pretty helpful: you can rent a lower end box, if you like and if you want a higher end, here is a list of guaranteed to work models. Failing that, here are the requirements a modem not our list must meet, but we make no promises. But they've never given me flack about my (from their list) modem. They have been clear that if I own, and they upgrade their system the replacement is on me. Which seems fair enough.

But really, the amount of BS you get out of support is largely about their quality, corporate culture and especially whether or not the company thinks that customer service is worth paying for. If they don't want to piss up your leg, the won't, and if they do, no amount of being "good" will stop them from doing so. So buy the modem and save your money, and do your best not to worry about pleasing inept corporate entities you cannot control.

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Buy your own modem, it will be much cheaper in the long run (and really the fairly short run too, it only takes a couple months for the rental fee to be over the price of a mid-range modem).