Options

God Of War

2

Posts

  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You're playing the game on Normal or Easy mode, aren't you? Because that's the only fucking way you'd be able to pull off button mashing through most of the game.

    Normal Mode. I don't go into hard mode unless I have beaten the game first.

    A question, do you know more of the story as you progress or is it a continuation of go there. kill. now go there and kill some more? Do I get to see more of the backstory on Kratos?

    Well there's your issue. On normal mode, you can pretty much press square through the whole game and say 'I win.' I can see how you'd think the fighting system is shallow if you havent played hard or really fucking insano-hard modes yet.

    See, why should I have to play it on hard to get the experience? It a game, it should deliver regardless of hard-ness level. PoP didn't need to play on hard and on normal even enemies gave you a run for your money.
    I'm not following. If you find Normal mode too easy, why would you complain about trying out Hard mode? That's what variable difficulties are for.

    To your original point -- you do find out more about Kratos's backstory, but it's drawn out across the entire span of the game and, frankly, this isn't the game to play if you're more concerned with background story than about stomping the shit out of a harpy and tearing its wings off. The bulk of the game is killing things. If you don't take pleasure out of killing things in and of itself, you're not going to enjoy the game.

    Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    Rentilius wrote: »
    You're playing the game on Normal or Easy mode, aren't you? Because that's the only fucking way you'd be able to pull off button mashing through most of the game.

    Normal Mode. I don't go into hard mode unless I have beaten the game first.

    A question, do you know more of the story as you progress or is it a continuation of go there. kill. now go there and kill some more? Do I get to see more of the backstory on Kratos?

    Well there's your issue. On normal mode, you can pretty much press square through the whole game and say 'I win.' I can see how you'd think the fighting system is shallow if you havent played hard or really fucking insano-hard modes yet.

    See, why should I have to play it on hard to get the experience? It a game, it should deliver regardless of hard-ness level. PoP didn't need to play on hard and on normal even enemies gave you a run for your money.

    How far are you in GoW? There are pretty hard parts, even on Normal. And PoP's monsters are giving you a run for your money? They're INFINITELY easier than what you experience in GoW 2. The only frustrating thing about the monsters in PoP (the first one, at least) was how dull the combat got.

    I am where I can see Ares in Athens and have to go find the oracle. In the area where you walk past houses and there are archers and some minotaurs as well as Gorgons. I am not talkign about GOW2, I don't even know if I would want GoW2 because GoW 1 is thus far uninspiring.

    You JUST started. You need to shut the fuck up about the difficulty.

    I mean, did you even get to the part where the fucking guys pop out of the ground yet and spin their shit into your colon?

    You mean the guys with two sword on thier hands and for the killing blow, you pop thier hands into the ground and kill them?

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You mean the guys with two sword on thier hands and for the killing blow, you pop thier hands into the ground and kill them?
    Yeah, I think it's that part. And there are three of them or mroe, and some archers shooting at you on some stairs, and after you beat them you go up some stairs and fight MORE and a big ass ogre?

    tyrannus on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    You mean the guys with two sword on thier hands and for the killing blow, you pop thier hands into the ground and kill them?
    Yeah, I think it's that part. And there are three of them or mroe, and some archers shooting at you on some stairs, and after you beat them you go up some stairs and fight MORE and a big ass ogre?

    St..stop it, you're giving me flashbacks of the time I played it on God mode! *shudder*

    Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    You mean the guys with two sword on thier hands and for the killing blow, you pop thier hands into the ground and kill them?
    Yeah, I think it's that part. And there are three of them or mroe, and some archers shooting at you on some stairs, and after you beat them you go up some stairs and fight MORE and a big ass ogre?

    I think so, I don't remember any orge but I do know the archers and those two sworded guys.

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm going to start posting new threads every time I start playing a game after 3-years-worth of hype, and the first two stages of the game don't fulfill all my gamer wet dreams.

    Why do people play 1/10th of a game or less, then go to a message board and ask if it's worth continuing?

    You've GOT the GAME. Play it. What else are you going to do? Sell it back to EBGames for $2 at this point?

    Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    GimpyBoy wrote: »
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm too anal about my mythology to have a hope of enjoying this.
    Oh god yes. Once they told me that
    Pandora's box contains the power to destroy a god, so I need to go retrieve it from the temple built on the back of Kronos, who's wandering around in a desert inhabited by the sirens
    I just about lost it. Soooo many things wrong with that.

    It gets better. Wait till you see GoW2.

    GoW and GoW 2 are absolutely amazing games. The first one was a bit easy in the beginning but if you played it, like it was intended, on hard and Spartan, you'd feel like you actually fucking accomplished something when you beat a boss, or a minotaur, or two minotaurs.

    EDIT - And yes, you see MUCH more of Kratos's history throughout the game. It's touching. Especially the end.

    Btw, I hope that edit wasn't meant to imply that I dislike GoW2. The game is incredibly awesome. I was just making the point that if he didn't like the mythological innacuracy in 1, 2 will blow his mind into tiny little fragments.

    GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You've GOT the GAME. Play it. What else are you going to do? Sell it back to EBGames for $2 at this point?
    Completely separate from the game in question, you can just not play it and stop wasting your time? People always talk about "getting your money's worth" when it comes to poor games, but if said worth is getting hit over the head with a blunt instrument I'd rather not. Chalk it up as a learning experience and go play a game you actually enjoy.

    Glal on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Whining at this point is the equivalent of whining when you've just gotten into the Maharajah's palace, right after unleashing the sands, in Sands Of Time, that the game is too easy and that you haven't gotten enough backstory.

    There are about 7 or 8 flashback scenes spread out over the whole game that explain why Kratos is who he is and what's his deal with the gods. And it gets harder. And there aren't enough bosses, but they're all AWESOME.

    SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I actually like that it's a button-masher. I don't have the patience to learn a bunch of combos (I completely ignored all the moves that you acquire, except the one that you need for the shield guys) in action games. I never really liked fighting games for that reason, too.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Prince of Persia had shit fighting. Just keep doing that same exact "jump over the guys head and hit him on your way down" move worked for just about any bad guy. The sequels made it a bit better, but really the core fighting was still pretty bad.

    GoW isn't really deep or a anything, and yeah, most of the fights can be finished with dodging in, getting in a few weak hits, then dodging away, but fighting just fells a lot better to me in GoW than most other games.

    Pooch on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like ripping things off of other things, and/or stabbing things in the throat, so God of War is fine by me.

    I love PoP, but I never considered the fighting in that game to be anything but a break between platforming.

    Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2 words why this franchise is awesome:

    Puppy punting.

    Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Asura-ValkyrieAsura-Valkyrie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote: »
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm too anal about my mythology to have a hope of enjoying this.
    Oh god yes. Once they told me that
    Pandora's box contains the power to destroy a god, so I need to go retrieve it from the temple built on the back of Kronos, who's wandering around in a desert inhabited by the sirens
    I just about lost it. Soooo many things wrong with that.

    It gets worse. Wait till you see GoW2.

    Dudes. Ever hear of Final Fantasy? They have mixed and matched so many mythological figures and stories, I don't think anyone cares anymore.

    Asura-Valkyrie on
  • Options
    DeVryGuyDeVryGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote: »
    Billmaan wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm too anal about my mythology to have a hope of enjoying this.
    Oh god yes. Once they told me that
    Pandora's box contains the power to destroy a god, so I need to go retrieve it from the temple built on the back of Kronos, who's wandering around in a desert inhabited by the sirens
    I just about lost it. Soooo many things wrong with that.

    It gets worse. Wait till you see GoW2.

    Dudes. Ever here of Final Fantasy? They have mixed and matched so many mythological figures and stories, I don't think anyone cares anymore.

    I don't think anyone cared to begin with. They weren't trying to tell a version of any mythology or religion, they just used certain figures and Gods here and there. God of War tries to adhere that this is mythological greece, but it's our mythological Greece.

    DeVryGuy on
    Pokemon Diamond: 5369 6910 9799
    FFTSig.jpg
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    2 words why this franchise is awesome:

    Puppy punting.

    Haha, that's exactly what I called it too.

    Pooch on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    When I played God of War on normal, the same button-mashing complaint that countless people have played seemed entirely valid, and it wasnt a very enjoyable experience.

    I dont understand how a harder difficulty is supposed to reduce this flaw. What does the hard difficulty do? Make enemies more aggressive, put more enemies in front of you, make their attacks stronger and yours weaker?

    None of that stuff really sounds like it would do the trick, because the game just had straight up boring enemy patterns and attack types. For one thing, there was a really annoying lack of unique enemy types in the game, although this is a pretty consistent complaint i have with almost all action games. But another was that, if I remember correctly, most of your moves had indistinguishable effects. Sure, they looked different, but how was I supposed to know when to use what? They all looked basically like the same thing, just with variations in damage and number of hits. Also, the token "juggle enemy" and "block breaker" attacks.

    At least in God Hand there was total customization with a variety of moves which had pretty clear differences, and in Ninja Gaiden a lot of the moves were based on movement.

    In fact, I think thats a big part of the problem with God of War: since your weapon is essentially a pair of whips, none of the moves really have anything to do with movement, which is a pretty big part of action games (for example, movement was almost responsible for the entirety of Viewtiful Joes combat depth).

    Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    God of War still has dull level design and crappy puzzles even if it turns out that the combat miraculously becomes decent on hard mode.
    Which I doubt.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Huh? I thought the level design was the strong point. At least, the artists and modelers who worked on the game are very talented.

    Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    Huh? I thought the level design was the strong point. At least, the artists and modelers who worked on the game are very talented.

    I was talking about playability, not shiny graphics.
    I'll admit the latter were impressive.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm too anal about my mythology to have a hope of enjoying this.
    I hear you, but man, remember that mythology deals with stories that people made up, and when they made it up really doesn't quite matter. And look at someone like Ovid who took established myths and kind of mixed them up a bit in places. It's ok to mess around with them, because it's not like you're desecrating the storied history of some important person, you're just fucking with Mr. Makebelieve and his Fabtabulous Funventures.

    MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I borrowed a PS2 and this game, and today I finally experience the universally hyped game that my friends have raved about for years. It's pretty good. I am enjoying myself, and the environments are really cool. The boss fights I've played so far any immensley awesome. The combat is a little repetitive, but it's still fun. There are a ton of things to do it you take the time to learn them.

    I'm really not sure what people were expecting when they picked this up. It's a beat-em up. You fight enemies over and over and over. These types of games have been that way since Double Dragon. I'm not sure how anyone who read anything about this game is surprised. It is exactly what I was expecting and I am enjoying it immensely. Can't wait to get through it so I can start in on part 2.

    Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

  • Options
    ErockErock Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    Huh? I thought the level design was the strong point. At least, the artists and modelers who worked on the game are very talented.

    I was talking about playability, not shiny graphics.
    I'll admit the latter were impressive.

    I think MOST of what makes this game enjoyable for me is the Level design. You SEE the goal long before you can ever reach it. You know what is eventually going to come and damn if it isn't a fun adventure getting to it. 8-)
    - Walk out from the streets of Athens to see a 500 foot tall god laying siege to the city while 1000s of archers are futile but still firing arrows as you look on thinking "ok, so I gotta stop this guy!?"

    - Fighting & climbing your way out of hell so you can defeat this god.

    - solving some elaborate puzzle deep within some huge palace all while knowing it is mounted on the back of an enormous Titan.

    You don't get those "wow" moments without good level design & story. While the story itself would never be a bestseller in book stores, it is delivered in a very nice way that doesn't have to say much, but instead just lets you experience it.

    It gives purpose for getting through the level. You clearly know your ultimate goal, and the way the levels lay out it "feels" so much bigger and more epic than most games. Several times in GOW1 I felt completely like "Oh man, this is gonna be incredible". And its happened already again in GOW2 pretty early in.

    Not many other games do that for me. I don't care if its a button masher or not. It's simply fun as hell to play through & anyone who doesn't see what's fun about it is missing out.

    Erock on
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I have to second what he said about the level layouts. I love how it all feels like one big elaborate maze that could conceivably exist because all the other parts of the level really seem like they're there.

    I was just playing and I'm about 5 hours into my second playthrough. It's a lot better a second time because you can see the goals that you didn't notice the first time, and even see some places that you came from off in the distance. I like how for the most part the game isn't divided into levels and that cutscenes don't just magically teleport you right outside the next building you have to go in.

    Pooch on
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The game certainly has its merits, but why does it make me keep fighting the same stupid minotaurs, grunt things, large ogre things, medusas, and harpys over and over again? None of them have interesting attack patterns or look particularly cool. Show me some different dang enemies!

    Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    The game certainly has its merits, but why does it make me keep fighting the same stupid minotaurs, grunt things, large ogre things, medusas, and harpys over and over again? None of them have interesting attack patterns or look particularly cool. Show me some different dang enemies!
    It's a beat-em up. You fight enemies over and over and over. These types of games have been that way since Double Dragon.

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    The game certainly has its merits, but why does it make me keep fighting the same stupid minotaurs, grunt things, large ogre things, medusas, and harpys over and over again? None of them have interesting attack patterns or look particularly cool. Show me some different dang enemies!

    Look, we understand. You don't like these types of fighting games. But don't come in here saying that God of War is a bad example of these types of games, because it sure as hell isn't. It's a shining beacon of gory awesomeness for those of us who love these games.

    Just because you don't like the genre doesn't mean the game is bad.

    Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    KiwistrikeKiwistrike Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love these types of games! I just bought devil may cry 1 and 3 to see what all the fuss is about, for example.

    Action games used to be really mysterious to me, because I rarely got to play them as a kid. When I finally picked up Viewtiful Joe, Godhand, God of War, and Ninja Gaiden, I got a little experience with the genre. And what Im saying is that God of War has the most boring enemies and combat system out of all of those, by a long shot.

    Kiwistrike on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    I love these types of games! I just bought devil may cry 1 and 3 to see what all the fuss is about, for example.

    Action games used to be really mysterious to me, because I rarely got to play them as a kid. When I finally picked up Viewtiful Joe, Godhand, God of War, and Ninja Gaiden, I got a little experience with the genre. And what Im saying is that God of War has the most boring enemies and combat system out of all of those, by a long shot.

    I disagree utterly, but opinions are just like assholes.

    tyrannus on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    The game certainly has its merits, but why does it make me keep fighting the same stupid minotaurs, grunt things, large ogre things, medusas, and harpys over and over again? None of them have interesting attack patterns or look particularly cool. Show me some different dang enemies!

    Look, we understand. You don't like these types of fighting games. But don't come in here saying that God of War is a bad example of these types of games, because it sure as hell isn't. I
    That's entirely debateable.
    The combat system has more flaws than God Hand or DMC.

    Xagarath on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, it doesn't. It works, if anything it's more intuitive and efficient and less fighting game ish. You don't so much have to remember and execute certain moves or combos but recognize which maneuvers favor different situations. And yes, this is only true on the harder difficulties, just don't play on normal or easy.

    This is all aside from the fact that from an artistic, level design, technical, character, and story perspective, god of war has almost no equal in really getting the full package of quality.

    Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    So I further in the story, at the trail of Posideon and I found some resemblace of a story present however over done it is. I mean really who would have though that he actually
    Sold his soul to the Gods? I mean he has the freaking blades and is called thier champion for sake.

    Anyway, the thing I really like are the skeleton puzzles present when not fighting a gagzillion enemies. At least thats sort of the Prince of Persia. The rest I found was meh. The new blade I have gotten, Sword of Artimis, is frankly clunkly but good for those pesky cerebus pups. However it seems they have a minitaur farm somewhere because they keep having them come out from somewhere.

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am working on my backlog so I pop the next game on the list and its God of War. I just finished Tales of the Abyss yesterday and Xenosaga II a couple of weeks back so I for one am unsure how this game plays.

    My friends told me to go buy it since in thier words "Its similar to Prince of Persia". Well I bought it and after playing for a couple of hours, I really can't seem to get into the mood for the game.

    I like Prince of Persia and bought all 3 of them for my Gamecube. I am familiar with these types of games so I can play it.

    But why can't I seem to get into it? The Story to me in the begining is he falls down and then you fight. Hell, you only have to press square all the time and most of your enemies will die. The Hydra battle was ok, but the main part was animation. Its retains it wow factor for only a couple of minutes and then your in Athens smacking around enemies and ripping there head and such.

    Is there any point to continue this? The manual for the game didn't tell me anything and the whole story is like "Stop Aries". Does the story get further developed as I play on or is it the same smash kill thing all though the game? When will I be introduced to the back story? I mean I could get into Price of Persia because it had an awsome story and kept with the game. Here Katos just smashes stuff. I can't get that.
    OK, here's what I'm wondering: shouldn't this guy be skewered alive for composing an OP like this? Why can't we put the stupidity filter back in, wherein people like this are lambasted endlessly until they're too ashamed of themselves to ever come back?
    And, for my more useful contribution: God of War is a great, accessible new-age beat 'em up. It isn't as deep or as replayable as Ninja Gaiden, but it's lots of fun and has some really epic moments. I haven't tried God of War 2 yet, but my brother played it and he says it's even better than the original.

    Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

    You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe he speaks english as a second language or is so deprived socially that he can't form a coherent sentence. I'm being totally serious.

    Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That and I think we're supposed to be nice now, what with the new forums and rules and all. Doesn't stop some people, though. Like me.

    Renzo on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe he speaks english as a second language or is so deprived socially that he can't form a coherent sentence. I'm being totally serious.

    I think he counts as an otaku. According to the geek chart, he would be considered possibly geekier than the average gamer.
    http://www.brunching.com/images/geekchartbig.gif

    Couscous on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    In the same vien I question the logic behind putting a story cut-scene before the Posideon Trials. I mean he has seen so many bodies lying around and he had killed so many, but why do these bring back the story? I can't understand it.

    Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ha, where are film students on that?

    they're the ones that most often feign intellectualism in the hopes that by clinging to an artist of much greater complexity and talent that they themselves are made less worthless by comparison, even if they can't grasp a director's complete and total vision even remotely.

    Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In the same vien I question the logic behind putting a story cut-scene before the Posideon Trials. I mean he has seen so many bodies lying around and he had killed so many, but why do these bring back the story? I can't understand it.

    keep playing, you're just getting into him

    Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In the same vien I question the logic behind putting a story cut-scene before the Posideon Trials. I mean he has seen so many bodies lying around and he had killed so many, but why do these bring back the story? I can't understand it.
    Generally, killing undead soldiers and assholes is different from seeing dead children and women that he has a story reason for emphasizing with.

    Couscous on
Sign In or Register to comment.