Options

God Of War

13»

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    In the same vien I question the logic behind putting a story cut-scene before the Posideon Trials. I mean he has seen so many bodies lying around and he had killed so many, but why do these bring back the story? I can't understand it.
    Because the whole reason he is trying to kill Aries in the first game is so the Gods will get rid of his nightmares from when he killed his wife and son. So, seeing dead women and children everywhere is probably giving him some bad flashbacks. If his wife and son had been evil undead minions sent from Hades, or perhaps Hydra, I'm sure he would have been a lot less enthusiastic about the first area of the game.

Javen on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Bah, I'd rather let him get to that part himself. Don't read that.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I had this game before it went "Greatest Hits" and didn't play past the first few levels until around November. When I first started, I couldn't get things right and really sort of sucked at playing it and was not really into the story. When I picked it up again to play, I somehow dove right in, better than before and really enjoyed the game.
    The story isn't great but for a genre where most games would have a plot consisting of "Kill Stuff" I thought it told a decent enough tale.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I had this game before it went "Greatest Hits" and didn't play past the first few levels until around November. When I first started, I couldn't get things right and really sort of sucked at playing it and was not really into the story. When I picked it up again to play, I somehow dove right in, better than before and really enjoyed the game.
    The story isn't great but for a genre where most games would have a plot consisting of "Kill Stuff" I thought it told a decent enough tale.
    I actually had a minor problem with God of War's gameplay at first, but I quickly got over it and enjoyed the shit out of the game. I had just come off of playing Ninja Gaiden, and I expected that my every action would need to be deliberate. I wanted to need to find the most effective combo at the beginning. Eventually, I got into the groove of relaxedly smacking buttons and watching heads roll, and I really loved the game.
    The Hydra was excellent.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Since I just started it for my first time this week, I have gone back and am reading old reviews of it. Can someone link me Tycho's post on the original game? I can't really work that newspost search function. Please?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited March 2007
    It's gone, in fact, the comic for that day is linked to another news article entirely.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's gone, in fact, the comic for that day is linked to another news article entirely.

Huh. Sumbitch. Maybe there was some Jock Thompson love in there or something.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kiwistrike wrote: »
    I love these types of games! I just bought devil may cry 1 and 3 to see what all the fuss is about, for example.

Action games used to be really mysterious to me, because I rarely got to play them as a kid. When I finally picked up Viewtiful Joe, Godhand, God of War, and Ninja Gaiden, I got a little experience with the genre. And what Im saying is that God of War has the most boring enemies and combat system out of all of those, by a long shot.

If you think that the first Devil May Cry is better than God of War you have something wrong going on inside your head. The controls for that game are so fucking awful I can't even go back to it and play it. I thought it was 'the shit' when I was 13 and it definitely does not stand the test of time.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    So I reached the story and found why he wants to kill Aries.

Anf Frankly, thats the stupidest story I ever heard. "Oh its my fault but since I called him he must be responsible!" It was his own doing nothing more and him blaming it on Aries is just a way to fight a freaking god. Sheeh. However the only redeaming part is the Pandora's temple. The guy who made it was crazy but it at least it makes it a decent story for the temple.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought it was pretty cut and dry that Ares (no I) made Kratos kill his family. It's not explicitly stated, but it's plainly shown. Kratos, in an Ares-induced blood-craze, murdered hundreds of thousands of innocent people, including his own family.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Anf Frankly, thats the stupidest story I ever heard. "Oh its my fault but since I called him he must be responsible!" It was his own doing nothing more and him blaming it on Aries is just a way to fight a freaking god. Sheeh. However the only redeaming part is the Pandora's temple. The guy who made it was crazy but it at least it makes it a decent story for the temple.
    Games aren't really a storytelling-centric medium, and God of War isn't hung up on telling some deep story. Who gives a shit if the storytelling in the game is effective? That's like watching Commando and expecting lifelike characters, an intricate plot, and great dialogue.

Unless you think "Blow off some steam, Bennett!" is great dialogue. I mean, it's great in a cheesy way, but not great.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2007

And to add to what I said, you misinterpreted the storyline anyway.
    Ares made him kill his family. Kratos didn't have a fucking choice.
    They did everything but jam it down your throat in order to make it clear. I'm so tempted to call you a moron right now.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm stuck on the back of the titan. I had the guy burning the bodies open the giant gate for me, then those monsters spawned and I can't seem to beat them. Zeus's and Medusa's power suck ass to beat these guys.

tardcore on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Blades of Chaos don't suck at killing anything. Posidon's magic is pretty badass too. It really clears a room if you time it right.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    I'm stuck on the back of the titan. I had the guy burning the bodies open the giant gate for me, then those monsters spawned and I can't seem to beat them. Zeus's and Medusa's power suck ass to beat these guys.

Don't focus so much on attacking them. The trick with any cyclops fight is just dodging and evading and only attacking when you have an opening.

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    So I finished this game.

Frankly I didn't find it to lived up to the hype surronding it. The combat is ok, the story, while being bare-boned is ok as well and the graphics are ok too. I would rate this 6/10 if I had such rating power. The combat which was all in this game and Prince of Persia like traps were bare-boned and I wish there was more traps or puzzle rather than the intense killing that went on there.

Will I pick up God of War II? Not for that price, maybe when it is at a lower price then I might. I saw the trailer in the game when you unlock the teasures of olympus and frankly I find its going to be a bare-boned story agian. Lets hope that the story telling method has improved somewhat.

Also 10h:41m is a short time for a game. I wonder why didn't they include more levels, at least the story could have been fleshed more.

Now on more another game, Shining Tears.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    I just started playing GoW the other day. Then, today, in the final battle with Ares, I was literally one hit away from winning the game
    in the sword fight
    and Ares froze and I couldn't hit him. Now, since the final battle takes like an hour to get finish and you can't save in the middle, I said "fuck this game" and took it back.

One of the guys I work with said GoW II basically tells you the ending to the first one so I'm gonna play through that.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I finished this game.

Frankly I didn't find it to lived up to the hype surronding it. The combat is ok, the story, while being bare-boned is ok as well and the graphics are ok too. I would rate this 6/10 if I had such rating power. The combat which was all in this game and Prince of Persia like traps were bare-boned and I wish there was more traps or puzzle rather than the intense killing that went on there.

Will I pick up God of War II? Not for that price, maybe when it is at a lower price then I might. I saw the trailer in the game when you unlock the teasures of olympus and frankly I find its going to be a bare-boned story agian. Lets hope that the story telling method has improved somewhat.

Also 10h:41m is a short time for a game. I wonder why didn't they include more levels, at least the story could have been fleshed more.

Now on more another game, Shining Tears.

Ten hours is not short for a game that doesn't have a lot of cutscenes and grinding. The puzzles are supposed to be a diversion. If they put in more puzzles, it would detract from the core of the gameplay.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MA17MA17 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tell you what, Katchem, you go find the best book or movie or whatever you can find, and we'll read it or watch it together, that way you satisfy your love of a good story, and then when it's over, I'll stab you in the throat and cut your spine out so I can satisfy my bloodlust. Then I'll make a game about it and call it God of War 3, the people who already like God of War will enjoy it, and even the fruitcups like you will think it's worth your precious time.

MA17 on
    scoughrates_sig.jpg
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, it doesn't. It works, if anything it's more intuitive and efficient and less fighting game ish. You don't so much have to remember and execute certain moves or combos but recognize which maneuvers favor different situations. And yes, this is only true on the harder difficulties, just don't play on normal or easy.

This is all aside from the fact that from an artistic, level design, technical, character, and story perspective, god of war has almost no equal in really getting the full package of quality.
    To be frank, I find God of War artisically dull, tedious and irritating as regards level design, severely lacking in character interest (though it's hardly alone in that) and poor in story (ditto).
    It's outclassed on all the points you mentioned by a hell of a lot of games.
    As for the combat system... lacks the depth of DMC or God Hand. if you feel being "more intuitive" makes up for that, fair enough, but don't go on about the "artistic quality" of a game with all the imagination and writing of a low-grade B-Movie.
    Not that I'd defend DMC or God Hand on artistic ground either, but they're deeper, better-designed games, even if you happen to find them slightly less easy to get into.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A game doesn't need a deep combat system to be fun. Streets of Rage I and II are the favorite games of many people yet the combat system is shallower than the kiddy pool.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    MA17 wrote: »
    Tell you what, Katchem, you go find the best book or movie or whatever you can find, and we'll read it or watch it together, that way you satisfy your love of a good story, and then when it's over, I'll stab you in the throat and cut your spine out so I can satisfy my bloodlust. Then I'll make a game about it and call it God of War 3, the people who already like God of War will enjoy it, and even the fruitcups like you will think it's worth your precious time.

internetbadass.jpg

I also would have enjoyed more puzzles in God of War. I enjoyed the combat, but the "stop and fight a million respawning enemies" got tiring.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    A game doesn't need a deep combat system to be fun. Streets of Rage I and II are the favorite games of many people yet the combat system is shallower than the kiddy pool.

I never said God of War was a bad game. It's not. I simply happen to consider DMC and God Hand superior.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In the end it turned out to be how many enemies can you kill game. The last two puzzles were the most annoying with the harpies and the clones. Combat is fine but when the end of the game features nothing but combat agianst countless foes, you feel cheated.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

I don't think GoW's combat system is that much fun, though. The core gameplay system is good, I like it, but the vast majority of enemies in the game are annoying and formulaic to fight. Whenever there's a challenge, it's 'cause they keep throwing shit at you rather than the enemies being particularly difficult or fun to fight. This is the game's biggest flaw, in my opinion.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In the end it turned out to be how many enemies can you kill game. The last two puzzles were the most annoying with the harpies and the clones. Combat is fine but when the end of the game features nothing but combat agianst countless foes, you feel cheated.

When the very end of a game features nothing but combat and killing your foes is the main part of the gameplay of most of the game, I feel like that should be expected. I'm not surprised when RPGs have a ton of battles at the end, and I don't see how this is different.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Saying the combat system in DMC or even DMC2 are 'deeper' than God of War is laughable.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    atf487atf487 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like God of War, Devil May Cry, and Ninja Gaiden because they are fun action games.

atf487 on
    ATF360.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Alright, fuckstick, listen to me. Seriously, listen this time. God of War doesn't proport to be anything but an action game wherein you kill a whole bunch of shit. It was advertised that way, it's called God of Fucking War, and the title screen features fire as a backdrop. FIRE. It wasn't advertised as a Zelda clone, nor a fucking JRPG, nor was it suggested by the developers that GoW was to be a point-and-click adventure.

The game shipped as advertised, and if you didn't know that it was going to be about killing lots of shit, then that's your fault. When you bought the game, you should have known what to expect. You don't buy an RPG expecting an experience that's high on visceral thrills and low on storytelling. You shouldn't buy a hack'n'slash action game expecting anything other than a hack'n'slash.

Now kindly fuck off and play in traffic. Please.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2007
    Magicawe wrote: »
    Saying the combat system in DMC is 'deeper' than God of War is true.
    Fixed.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Magicawe wrote: »
    Saying the combat system in DMC is 'deeper' than God of War is untrue.
    Fixed. Also I have sex with beagles.
    See how that whole opinion thing works?

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    (Shrugs)
    I can back up my opinion. I'd like to see him back up his in any coherent fashion.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    GripperGripper Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    (Shrugs)
    I can back up my opinion. I'd like to see him back up his in any coherent fashion.

And yet his opinion irked you so much that you fixed it for him. That was nice of you! I'd take his opinion over that of a BEAGLE FUCKER. Oh, you sick bastard. And it doesn't matter anyway! Can't we all just get along? You might conceivably own some kind of gaming 'dipstick' with which to test the depth of these games, I don't know. Either way, quit being a pretentious cockmunch.

The only thing that I would say is 'true' is that these games are as deep as you want them to be, and 'difficulty' is not the same as 'depth'. Oh, and the fact that, as the above posts PROVE, you jerk off dogs until they cum blood...

I did kind of hope to come into this thread and read about an awesome action game, and what parts people enjoyed, and maybe some reasoned comparison between this and other leading titles in the genre. Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Lord of The Rings...I love them all. I don't see why people feel the need to scream into the wind about which is 'better'. I hope that's cool.

Gripper on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Someone made a thread for that a week or two ago, Gripper. It's titled something like "God of War vs Devil May Cry vs Onimusha" You'll find your discussion there.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Gripper wrote: »
    (Shrugs)

And yet his opinion irked you so much that you fixed it for him. That was nice of you! I'd take his opinion over that of a BEAGLE FUCKER. Oh, you sick bastard. And it doesn't matter anyway! Can't we all just get along? You might conceivably own some kind of gaming 'dipstick' with which to test the depth of these games, I don't know. Either way, quit being a pretentious cockmunch.

The only thing that I would say is 'true' is that these games are as deep as you want them to be, and 'difficulty' is not the same as 'depth'. Oh, and the fact that, as the above posts PROVE, you jerk off dogs until they cum blood...

I did kind of hope to come into this thread and read about an awesome action game, and what parts people enjoyed, and maybe some reasoned comparison between this and other leading titles in the genre. Ninja Gaiden, DMC, Lord of The Rings...I love them all. I don't see why people feel the need to scream into the wind about which is 'better'. I hope that's cool.
    You're overreacting somewhat, don't you think?
    I trried to make reasoned comparison, but if people make statements of the "DMC sucks God of War best game ever!" school of thought, I doubt responding to them in any detailed manner will be productive.

Oddly enough, the God of War fans seem to be the ones screaming into the wind when people dare make mild criticisms of their beloved game. I refer you to some of the posts above.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think more people can actually beat GoW than DMC1/3. I will never be able to beat DMD mode in any of the DMCs and I was able to beat the hardest mode in GoW2.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything.

Magus` on
  • Options
    SNESSNES Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gripper wrote: »
    (Shrugs)

God of War has two weapons: The chainblades and Artemis. You lack the ability to switch back and forth to rack up massive combos. (I admit, you can't do on-the-fly weapon switching in DMC 1 or 2. But it seems it's a matter of DMC vs. GoW in general now, so DMC3 gogogo) Also, not talking about GoW2, plzkthnx. The chainblades feature attacks which either:

a. Scatter enemies for crowd control
    b. Smash the ground to launch enemies into the air
    c. Attack and mildly stun all surrounding enemies to set them up for a poseidon's rage

So yeah. There are many ways to play off of any of these (and if I missed any base types I apologize) but in the end it's fairly limited. Given how the combat works, at some point there will only be a few key combos that are actually effective. And yes, each enemy has their own strategy. But the variety is limited enough that it doesn't really matter.

Blade of Artemis was the non-AoE singular focused weapon, yes? Honestly, I don't remember too much seeing as I only used it a few times. It felt extremely clunky, and if I'm remembering correctly it only had 4 special attacks and parallels of some of the chainblade combos. Not very deep as far as combos go.

And seeing as you can't move and use magic or switch weapons on the fly in the first game, we didn't see anything awesome like stunning an enemy with the rush attack, flipping into the air and using Gorgon flash, then coming down with the Blade of Artemis to shatter it. Instead, we got square, square, triangle. Repeat ad nauseam.

And seriously? I love DMC3. So maybe I'm totally biased. But one look at DMC and the series' unique weapons and combat techniques should tell you how deep the series is in comparison to GoW. I agree with you: depth /= difficulty. But what does that have to do with anything? We're not saying DMC is harder because of Dante Must Die mode or something. We're saying it because of how many options there are in combat.

SNES on
    MP:H-2019-3115-7752
    MKDS Friend Code: 476-802-986-689
    AC:WW Friend Code:3823-1420-6253
    Pokemon Friend Code: 3222 2050 0417