As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All shall [chat] me and despair!

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I mean theoretically I should like fantasy a lot? I guess my thing is I prefer

a) shorter. standalone books instead of series
    b) with a strong emphasis on characterization and atmosphere
    c) and not too much bs jargon

so I feel like a lot of the ten-book Saga of the Butt Sword stuff is not really for me. But I like China Mieville a lot, and Gene Wolfe, and Jack Vance, and Robert E. Howard (to a point).

I'm the opposite when it comes to a)

I get really really attached to characters and don't want to give them up, which is why I like trilogies and long series.

There's also a really powerful feeling when I finish a long series and realize that I'm not going to see these characters again (except on rereads).

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Just got some guy to pay $120 plus tax for a room to what I assume is to hook up with some lady from "da club"

Regular room rate for tonight is $100 plus tax

What makes you decide to jack the price? Can you do it arbitrarily?

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    they really nailed it with Jurassic Park

I will hear no dissenters

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Just got some guy to pay $120 plus tax for a room to what I assume is to hook up with some lady from "da club"

listen

I expect a huge discount if I ever encounter your hotel

SIR

funny enough I cant give friends discounts at my hotel you would have to stay at a different hotel in our chain.

We are not allwoed to have friends or family stay our hotel.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I keep forgetting to include The Dark Tower as fantasy. I loved those. Wizard and Glass is probably the best single thing Stephen King's ever written.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    big-trouble-in-little-china-poster.jpg

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I mean theoretically I should like fantasy a lot? I guess my thing is I prefer

a) shorter. standalone books instead of series
    b) with a strong emphasis on characterization and atmosphere
    c) and not too much bs jargon

so I feel like a lot of the ten-book Saga of the Butt Sword stuff is not really for me. But I like China Mieville a lot, and Gene Wolfe, and Jack Vance, and Robert E. Howard (to a point).

Hey honey you haven't tried out my butt sword yet, don't trash it until you try it

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I loudly heckled during the sequel to Jurassic Park when the kid did her gymnastic routine and kicked a dinosaur through the air.

It is one of the worst scenes in film.

Ever.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    they really nailed it with Jurassic Park

I will hear no dissenters

It is definitely one of my favorite movies.

But then, so are Speed Racer and Scott Pilgrim, so what do I know...

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Now that's a poster I wouldn't mind being buried in

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    you guys wouldn't know a good poster if it dick slapped you

big_trouble_in_little_china_poster_01.jpg

that is above my monitor as a super nice canvas print

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
  • Options
    GREAT MINDS

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I keep forgetting to include The Dark Tower as fantasy. I loved those. Wizard and Glass is probably the best single thing Stephen King's ever written.

I really need to take another stab at those. I read the first book a long long time ago (like, probably more than a decade ago?) and wasn't particularly engaged, but I keep hearing great things about them.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

The first four were absolutely fantastic. The last three were really eh, though.

• Options

It's 3am dude is in his mid 20's with a girl in his car, he clearly wants to get laid so I see how much he is willing to pay.

And yeah I can change the price on room to whatever I want but if I discount it more then 10% I have to explain myself.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
  • Options

My first impression is that this reminds me of Scissor Sisters a little bit, except without the BeeGees vocals.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    don't stop

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    IRL Jennifer Lawrence very out-hots her costar in that horrific Hunger Games movie.

Fuckme that movie was stupid.

:(

I liekd eet

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    god I love how music transports you to another time

• Options

It's 3am dude is in his mid 20's with a girl in his car, he clearly wants to get laid so I see how much he is willing to pay.

And yeah I can change the price on room to whatever I want but if I discount it more then 10% I have to explain myself.

What is your incentive to increase the price? Do you get part of the $20, or is it more of a "being good at your job" kind of thing?

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    wandering wrote: »
    dZ1M1.jpg

A better poster then that film deserved.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlhMRoNJrs

this still best thing ever

thanks to @spool32 for this forever

• Options

My first impression is that this reminds me of Scissor Sisters a little bit, except without the BeeGees vocals.

It's good shit

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    g65my.jpg

Also...released on my birthday. Might have been the first film I ever saw on it's opening night.

• Options

What is your incentive to increase the price? Do you get part of the $20, or is it more of a "being good at your job" kind of thing?

I just like to see what I can get for rooms. But also tonight we only had 8/60 rooms in house so I wanted to make the hotel a little more money. My boss is pretty great to me so I like to make her look good to her bosses.

• Options

yeah, i'm also curious

a person wanting to use a hotel room for sex doesn't seem like him being rude to you or destructive or anything.

i'm not sure why you did it other than to be a dick.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    IRL Jennifer Lawrence very out-hots her costar in that horrific Hunger Games movie.

Fuckme that movie was stupid.

:(

I liekd eet

I have no beef with that opinion

I mean I guess it was ok

• Options

This song transports me back to the '60s, like it's the Byrds or something

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta46M5rksBk

it came out this year?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    it's not in our american culture to haggle.

• Options

Sometimes I go awhile without listening to music in my car, usually because I've been listening to sports podcasts.

Then I'll put on Ellie Goulding's first album or Mika or Scissor Sisters or something and I swear it's like injecting heroin directly into my bloodstream. I inhale suddenly, my eyes get wide for a second and my whole body goes into overdrive. I feel it right in the center of my chest, where all my feels are. It is the greatest sensation I have experienced, with the possible exception of actual orgasms.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Sometimes I go awhile without listening to music in my car, usually because I've been listening to sports podcasts.

Then I'll put on Ellie Goulding's first album or Mika or Scissor Sisters or something and I swear it's like injecting heroin directly into my bloodstream. I inhale suddenly, my eyes get wide for a second and my whole body goes into overdrive. I feel it right in the center of my chest, where all my feels are. It is the greatest sensation I have experienced, with the possible exception of actual orgasms.

and lord knows how many of those you've had

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tlhMRoNJrs

this still best thing ever

thanks to @spool32 for this forever

omg

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Oh most def, I didn't think it was super great but it was a nice popcorn movie. I was very impressed with the acting in it though.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The theme to Jurassic Park is also ludicrously good. I heard it on some podcast today and wanted to run out of work so I could watch the movie.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options

and lord knows how many of those you've had

I'm sure He keeps a careful tally.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

yeah, i'm also curious

a person wanting to use a hotel room for sex doesn't seem like him being rude to you or destructive or anything.

i'm not sure why you did it other than to be a dick.

It's not really being a dick. It's the same idea as airlines charging you different prices depending on what day it is.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Mieville can't write a good ending to save his life and I feel like his books keep getting worse.

I almost re-read Iron Council when at Half Price Books though.

I dunno, I liked the endings of all the Bas-Lag books. I understand why people wouldn't like the endings to Perdido and The Scar; I think they made sense but were deliberately designed to kind of alienate and upset - but Iron Council had, I thought, just about the perfect ending. It had all the inevitability of myth.

I hated the ending to Perdido, loved the ending to The Scar.

The ending to Perdido felt like I, as the reader, was being punished by the author. Personally punished. The Scar on the other hand ended in an unsatisfying, and yet completely appropriate way.

I didn't read Iron Council. I kind of felt like I was done with Mieville.

• Options
    I said go

uh ohhhhhhh

This discussion has been closed.