Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    You can't make a new account or change anything with pattern lock on. Just tried it. If you haven't made a guest account, no issues.

Also because it amused me: the current 'tap version number. " thing is a lollipop that changes color when you tap it. If you tap and drag the lollipop though, it turns into a game of flappy Android.

Aside from that, mostly liking the changes. Except the new keyboard. I'm not exactly a fan.

How do you remove the guest account? I had one already created when I got the nexus 9, but I can't seem to remove it.

So if you have security enabled on the lock screen they can't even access guest like was said earlier, so my bad for not remembering if I had security on or not in regards to guest accounts.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    Also waiting for the OTA on my N4, the suspense!

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    if you have a nexus, instead of waiting for an ota, just flash the full stock image and start fully fresh with lollipop... upgrades for a major release can just cause issues

Personally, I use WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit for everything.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Yeah, I saw the factory image dropped, but I prefer to just wait for the otas

jjae2123 on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    My stolen N5 was replaced today by my insurance company with another N5, which is fine by me. Anyway, 5 was reading for download and holy crap it is snappy.

The whole experience now feels like a phone at launch. Not one a year out.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    UK types, how does 16.50 or so, ex VAT sound for 5GB data at 4G at "Double Speed" with EE sound? Or, failing that, 2GB for 15£ ex VAT. Assuming practically unlimited texts or calls. Think both are sim only deals (just got my stolen phone replaced with the same model, N5)

The former sounds like a better deal, but not sure if I can get it yet. The latter is apparently open to anyone.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    HooverFan wrote: »
    if you have a nexus, instead of waiting for an ota, just flash the full stock image and start fully fresh with lollipop... upgrades for a major release can just cause issues

Personally, I use WUG's Nexus Root Toolkit for everything.

http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

Way easier (and no wipe) to just flash the OTA zipfile via ADB. The upgrade shouldn't cause any issues unless you're on a non-stock ROM.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    UK types, how does 16.50 or so, ex VAT sound for 5GB data at 4G at "Double Speed" with EE sound? Or, failing that, 2GB for 15£ ex VAT. Assuming practically unlimited texts or calls. Think both are sim only deals (just got my stolen phone replaced with the same model, N5)

The former sounds like a better deal, but not sure if I can get it yet. The latter is apparently open to anyone.

On Carphonewarehouse website they are offering additional cashback on both them sim only deals with the 5GB being a web exclusive deal.

If you are going to use the 4G for watching lots of TV or download apps on the go then the 5GB is probably needed. If you are browsing just general use then go for the 2GB.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    While it isn't just android news, it's pretty neat, and it hits the android version first
    https://whispersystems.org/blog/whatsapp/

Whatsapp just started to roll out textSecures end to end encyrption

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

On Carphonewarehouse website they are offering additional cashback on both them sim only deals with the 5GB being a web exclusive deal.

If you are going to use the 4G for watching lots of TV or download apps on the go then the 5GB is probably needed. If you are browsing just general use then go for the 2GB.

I don't think I ever really use more than 2GB anyway and watching TV on the go is really not something I'll be doing.

So the cheaper deal is the one. I'm also interested in an easy to terminate plan, since i'm providing my own phone

• Options

I don't think I ever really use more than 2GB anyway and watching TV on the go is really not something I'll be doing.

So the cheaper deal is the one. I'm also interested in an easy to terminate plan, since i'm providing my own phone

EE have the 2GB sim only deal on a 30 day rolling contract for £18.99 so all you have to give is 30 days notice to cancel contract at any time without fee. The standard sim only contracts are usually 12 months so personally i find them better deals than the 30 days.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2014
    Delmain wrote: »
    I can think of no reason why it wouldn't work.

Cool, thanks.

And for the clincher; does anyone have any experience with Straight Talk? EDIT: For what it's worth, speed isn't what I'm concerned about, as I do 99.9% of any downloading on wifi; I'm interested in call coverage and stability.

I do. Straight Talk uses time on Sprint or AT&T's networks, depending on the phone you have. Check those carriers coverage maps.

Straight Talk's website will show you how to check if your GSM or CDMA phone is compatable.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Awesome.

Last-ish question then. Lets say I got a Nexus 6 straight from Google.

And lets say for whatever reason we don't like the Straight Talk stuff.

Would I then be able to use that Nexus 6 on another network? I know Verizon does their own brandings and OS shit (which I guess is why they haven't gotten previous Nexus phones?), but I just want to be sure we'll have the freedom to just get a SIM for whatever different network we go with, should Straight Talk not suffice, without having to buy all new phones again.

Oh, and not as important, with Straight Talk is it easy to switch back and forth between GSM and CDMA? Is your month of service attached to a specific SIM or if for whatever reason you are going somewhere that you'd rather have one or the other, can you just have two SIMS and swap back and forth?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    you could use it on a gsm network like att or tmobile

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    It looks like the US version of the Nexus 6 supports both CDMA and GSM so I think that must mean I can use it on whatever US network I wanted if we didn't like Straight Talk, Verizon included (i.e. it doesn't look like Verizon is getting their own version of the Nexus 6)

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It looks like the US version of the Nexus 6 supports both CDMA and GSM so I think that must mean I can use it on whatever US network I wanted if we didn't like Straight Talk, Verizon included (i.e. it doesn't look like Verizon is getting their own version of the Nexus 6)

You may have difficulty getting Verizon to active your Nexus 6.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/17/psa-cdma-carriers-probably-wont-activate-your-nexus-6-unless-it-was-purchased-from-google-play-or-that-carrier-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2014
    I stopped using straight talk since they sold lower end phones and only did 3g. Since then, they upgraded to 4glte and started selling galaxy s3 phones. Still low end at this late date, but not the aspire or whatever I had back then.

With a phone straight from Google that obviously doesn't apply to you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

You may have difficulty getting Verizon to active your Nexus 6.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/17/psa-cdma-carriers-probably-wont-activate-your-nexus-6-unless-it-was-purchased-from-google-play-or-that-carrier-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/

Yeah, I saw that looking up info today. I plan on buying it directly from google either way, I just have to keep watching and hope I can catch it in stock sometime in the next month before our contract expires.

Well, even then, I know I can use my current phone on straight talk anyway, so if I can't manage to catch it for sale, it won't be the end of the world.

• Options

EE have the 2GB sim only deal on a 30 day rolling contract for £18.99 so all you have to give is 30 days notice to cancel contract at any time without fee. The standard sim only contracts are usually 12 months so personally i find them better deals than the 30 days.

A friend says they offered him the 5gb deal for 11 quid a month or two ago. That'd be nice!

• Options

A friend says they offered him the 5gb deal for 11 quid a month or two ago. That'd be nice!

I would check out the live chat function on the EE or Carphone website, and see if they can offer any extra discount. Be as 'cheeky' as possible and you are sure to save a lot of money. My contract is £20 per month with 10GB data and calls to europe by pushing sales people.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @The Dude With Herpes‌ I say jump ship to Straight Talk and swap phones later. It's worth getting away from contracts altogether.

• Options
    Well, we will get my wife a new phone one way or another. We will probably swing by a store this weekend to fiddle with phones and let her decide if she finally actually wants an iphone or another android. I doubt the Verizon or AT&T stores nearby will have any Nexus 6s but I've got a few T-Mobile corporate stores nearby that might, just so I can be sure. Her current phone (S3) doesn't have a working mic, among other problems, so she will be getting a new phone without a doubt. It's just a matter of what phone. I'm pretty set on the Nexus 6, I just want to actually have it in my hands once to know for sure.

But for sure we will be trying Straight Talk. It's half the price of our Verizon contract and has no discernible (for our uses) drawbacks. We just have to do the dance at the end of the contract to not be charged the cancellation fee when we transfer our phone #'s to Straight Talk.

Actually, does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that properly? Years ago we tried out AT&T and without really thinking about it, I switched our numbers to them about a week before the end of our Verizon contract; and Verizon charged us the whole penalty (though I talked them down for half of it). If we tell Verizon to cancel our service as soon as our contract is up, will our phone numbers go into limbo? I don't want to have to pay an extra month following the contract to keep the phone numbers active in order to transfer them...and I don't want to transfer them before the contract is up and get charged for it.

• Options
    So this is probably a dumb question, but is the Nexus Player actually out yet? It looks like you can buy them from the Play Store and they're listed as shipping within 1-2 days, but online all I can find is people talking about them in a speculative future tense kind of way.

Does anybody have one yet that wants to comment on it?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Math in Android 5.0.xw1eqacn038n.png

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Guys, just smashed my Samsung S3 in the backseat of my Matrix while trying to get the back seat upright. Totally crunched, turns on, no screen. I am however, ELEGIBLE FOR UPGRADE!

What's the best phone on Verizon right now? Droid Turbo I've heard good things about?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Guys, just smashed my Samsung S3 in the backseat of my Matrix while trying to get the back seat upright. Totally crunched, turns on, no screen. I am however, ELEGIBLE FOR UPGRADE!

What's the best phone on Verizon right now? Droid Turbo I've heard good things about?

Droid Turbo or Moto X 2014.

• Options
    Turns out Costco is having a sale on Samsung S5's ($50) and Moto X for...$0.01. Thoughts between the two?

• Options
    Last year's Moto X or this years?

• Options
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

It is. Personally my Moto X is my favorite phone I've ever owned (and I had a Galaxy S3 and S4 before it) so I would go with that hands-down... although the S5 does have some nice features (like a better camera and maybe battery life) and they've toned down how garish and bloated TouchWiz is so it's by no means a bad option.

• Options
    Could you tell me any more your experiences with the S5 FUCKWIT Touchwiz nonsense? After the S3, I was really considering buying out of Verizon for a non-contract Android phone because it is so terrible living with proprietary Verizon Apps.

The price difference is only $50, so I'm considering the Moto X for the stripped down Android Experience.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i love my 2014 moto x. my previous androids were nexuses, or nexii? the moto skin is not obtrusive at all and seems mostly stock except for some good tweaks

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    I actually got to handle the Nexus 6 tonight and good damn lord is that thing a work of art. I can totally understand how it'd be too big for some people but it feels like it was made precisely for me.

I'm going to be buying the living shit out of that next time I catch it in stock on Google.

For my wife, though, does anyone have any thoughts on a nexus 5? How does it compare in size and feel (and performance) to a Galaxy S3? Is the Nexus 5 pretty 'old' now, or does it still hold up?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I have an N5 and wife has a S3, both on Sprint.
    To me the S3 feels much older due to the Samsung overlay, both in terms of design/looks and responsivenes. Even with Lolipop now, the Nexus still feels very fast and modern.

I'm sure side-by-side to a 2014 X or an M8, it'd be laggy but it hasn't dropped off the cliff like the 2011 Nexus 7; which I'm typing this on. Having said that, I don't know if I'd lock into a N5 now. My guess is that it will hit the wall by next Sept/Oct.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Huh, pity that Moto X is online only. I would have gone over to the phone kiosk today and gotten one.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I upgraded to 5.0 on my first generation Nexus 7 a few days ago and I'm thinking that might have been a huge mistake. It was performing fine before the upgrade but now it's noticeably slower and sadder.

Is there a best way to roll it back or undo my foolishness?

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I have an N5 and wife has a S3, both on Sprint.
    To me the S3 feels much older due to the Samsung overlay, both in terms of design/looks and responsivenes. Even with Lolipop now, the Nexus still feels very fast and modern.

I'm sure side-by-side to a 2014 X or an M8, it'd be laggy but it hasn't dropped off the cliff like the 2011 Nexus 7; which I'm typing this on. Having said that, I don't know if I'd lock into a N5 now. My guess is that it will hit the wall by next Sept/Oct.

Well, apparently stock of the Nexus 5 is just as mythical as the 6, so it might not be an issue anyway. She likes her S3, we could just get her an S4 or S5 so that she'll be used to its version of android. One of these days we'll have time to actually go to a store and spend time with different phones.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Huh, pity that Moto X is online only. I would have gone over to the phone kiosk today and gotten one.

It's actually not online only, call your local Costco - mine (Rochester, MN) has them in stock at the kiosk.

• Options
    So in general, how hard is it to get stock unlocked phones, of whatever sort? And where? The nexus phones are obviously unlocked, but most other phones it doesn't seem like you ever buy directly from the manufacturer, and have to get them through providers, who tend to load them up with their own shit. I'd be less averse to getting my wife another galaxy if I knew we didn't have to get one with, say, all the Verizon shit on there. While I don't personally care for Samsungs version of Android, she likes it, so that part isn't an issue.

I just want to be able to buy a given phone and not have to stress about what network it will, or will not, work on later.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    When you guys say "Verizon shit" you're talking about six VZ apps, right? 2 of which you can disable, 3 you can ignore totally, 1 which checks your account info, and all of which you can hide with any home screen app?

I'm just curious. I've seen it mentioned a few times, looked through my phone, and just want to know if I'm missing something.

Anon the Felon on
This discussion has been closed.