Options

Finally a new [Android] Thread

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Campy, that was the beginning of the problems I started to have after the update. Not trying to rain on your parade, but a factory reset may just be the first step.

Nooooo. Everything else seems to be working happily. What else went wrong with your device?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    :( My moto X (2014) has been fantastic since the 5.0 update

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone have any experience with Googles restocking schedule?

The Nexus 6 page says every wednesday, but is there a time they usually restock?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Campy, that was the beginning of the problems I started to have after the update. Not trying to rain on your parade, but a factory reset may just be the first step.

Nooooo. Everything else seems to be working happily. What else went wrong with your device?

Eventually hitting the power button quit waking the screen at all. Had to force restart. Then it boot-looped. Then it was a big shitstorm of unlocking the bootloader, rooting it, flashing a new ROM and it STILL not working properly. Before all of this, my device was completely stock. No unlock, no root, just the OTAs.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    This new update has really slowed down my nexus 5. The new features are nice but ugh...

• Options
    Yeah, my N5 basically said, "Fuck this. I'm out" after a couple days. Out of warranty, of course, since I picked it up on release day on the Play Store.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    My Nexus 5 has been doing fine and the battery life has actually improved a bunch, guess I got lucky

only issue so far is now pocketcasts has been bugging out and resetting podcasts on me sometimes, but that's a relatively minor thing

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    If you have root, Titanium Backup is the way to go.

Titanium has never worked right for me at all. Rooted Galaxy S4. It caused me massive headaches and just generally did nothing it was supposed to do. I realize I am in the minority but wow it was a disaster.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I've been using my new N5 since last Monday with 5 and no issues have raised themselves so far.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Yeah, my N5 basically said, "Fuck this. I'm out" after a couple days. Out of warranty, of course, since I picked it up on release day on the Play Store.

Is it still screwed? I'm pretty sure is also out of warranty, or will be very shortly anyway.

I don't have root so I guess I won't be using Titanium.

Things I need to backup:
    Media (photos, videos, etc)
    App data?
    homescreen setup? Is this even possible?
    anything else?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

Is it still screwed? I'm pretty sure is also out of warranty, or will be very shortly anyway.

Things I need to backup:
    App data?
    anything else?

Homescreen setup backup is possible if you're using a third party launcher like Nova.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

Things I need to backup:
    App data?
    anything else?

Homescreen setup backup is possible if you're using a third party launcher like Nova.

Which is exactly what I'm doing, sweet!

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    So, I'm considering getting a cheap Android phone as media device since Apple doesn't want my money it seems.

EDIT Question retracted, apparently a Google UI Engineer says they're going to make a dark theme of the new theme soonish and push it out.

On that note, the device I'm thinking of getting is a Moto G 2014. I already found a good looking hardcase with a holster and a screen protector, a 32GB microSD for the slot, as well as a replacement battery even though you aren't supposed to be able to do it (which I may or may not get depending on tech advancements, definitely not for at least a year of recharging).

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It seems to be running fine on Cataclysm now that I'm no longer depending on it. But after this past weekend, I don't trust it and won't use it as anything other than a backup device.

Whoop. Nevermind. It rebooted on its own. And froze during bootup. Twice.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I'll take an Inbox invite.

Recently ditched my Nexus 5 for a Note 4. Apparently 5.0 made my Nexus commit suicide. Rebooted and got stuck in a boot loop. Tried restoring to factory; no dice. Unlocked the boot loader and flashed CWM recovery. Nothing. Rooted it and then flashed Cataclysm. More boot loops. Couldn't deal with not having a phone (I work in cellular sales and have a business on the side; calls missed equals money lost) and picked up a Note 4 and it is fanfuckingtastic.

The note 4 is such an amazing device.

I wish it was water resistant and had usb3.0, but apart from that, it's perfect

Maybe the memory us broken? I know the s3 had this issue, what you did was basically let it frozen for a few hours, because it wasn't actually frozen, but doing stuff on a low level marking broken flash memory.

After it kept freezing for days, I let it frozen for a few hours, and then it worked for a whole year, perfectly, until it got stolen

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I've let it do its own thing for a few days now and it's still buggy and unstable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Not sure if anybody has been waiting, but OnePlus has opened up sales of the OnePlus One for Black Friday. You can go ahead and order with no invite necessary.

https://oneplus.net/blackfriday/

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Man, I really hope that OnePlus are good, and stay successful. The idea of a good, off-contract phone for that price is amazing and will help me stay on my cheap phone plan.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    So, I finally walked by the phone kiosk at my store, and low and behold they have Moto Xs. Looks like an upgrade is in my future.

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    I have my Nexus 6 now... and i'm loving it, LOVE LOVE LOVE... especially now that I got encryption turned off.

If you're having issues after an upgrade to lollipop, then for all that is holy do a FACTORY RESET. It's probably the biggest android update to date and especially with a Nexus device, I linked Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit software which can completely do a stock refresh of a device to make it absolutely how you want it and then you can re-download what you need.

ANY major update should have a required reset as upgrades can ALWAYS and usually WILL go wonky.

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    Not only did I do a factory reset, I did six of them. And then unlocked the bootloader, flashed two different recoveries, rooted it, and then flashed the stock firmware and when that didn't work, a new ROM. Still an unstable, unusable buggy device.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Man, I really hope that OnePlus are good, and stay successful. The idea of a good, off-contract phone for that price is amazing and will help me stay on my cheap phone plan.

My N5 is working perfectly, but dear God, the more I see that phone, the more I want it.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Is the constantly refreshing notification from WhatsApp a feature or a bug? Because it keeps coming back after I dismiss it from the tray...

工事中
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

God what a shady company.

• Options
    Well, since Cyanogen fucked Oneplus over, I don't expect them to be around too much longer anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Well, since Cyanogen fucked Oneplus over, I don't expect them to be around too much longer anyway.

Just for my own curiosity; is there a rundown somewhere of what you're talking about?

When someone linked that you could just buy them yesterday I really thought hard about it, despite being set on a Nexus 6; but in the day since several people have brought up issues with them and it just makes me want to know whats what.

EDIT: I saw the reddit thread on the terribad customer service, but that's it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    My girlfriend and I have had our Oneplus One phones since July I think, still works amazing. Guess I lucked out and got a good one but I have a feeling those with issues are just a vocal minority. The companies business practices seem much worse than the phone itself.

• Options

Just for my own curiosity; is there a rundown somewhere of what you're talking about?

When someone linked that you could just buy them yesterday I really thought hard about it, despite being set on a Nexus 6; but in the day since several people have brought up issues with them and it just makes me want to know whats what.

EDIT: I saw the reddit thread on the terribad customer service, but that's it.

I'm assuming this? http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/28/cyanogen-oneplus-one-india-betrayal/

工事中
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Just got my first Android phone, a Samsung galaxy s5. Was $100 in store on black Friday with a $250 rebate and I'm upgrading from an iPhone4 so I'm pretty happy.

Gonna browse through this thread bit what are some things I should know and essential apps?

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Also question about the play store and the free music. Is the free album really free? It seems confusing when they talk about the streaming and they want credit card info for it to go through.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    My N5 has been running flawlessly. The keyboard stuttering when replying to a long chain of forum quotes is even fixed.

I did just backup all my pictures to photo, my notes and such to drive, then did a clean install though. I tried just the update and while it worked fine a lot of random apps still acted a bit wonky. So I just nuked it all. Not a problem since.

Also reporting in for slightly longer battery life. Nothing super spectacular, but enough that I don't charge my phone before getting off work anymore.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Also question about the play store and the free music. Is the free album really free? It seems confusing when they talk about the streaming and they want credit card info for it to go through.

Yes, free albums and movies are free. Of course it's tied to your Google account so could disappear at any moment but same as stuff you paid for.
    The streaming is a different thing. Both require a Google Play account, which does need a CC.

I've bought stuff on the store and it's fine, I like that they added an app on Roku so can watch my movies on the TV.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Looks like The Walking Dead games seasons one and two among with The Wolf Among Us are free on the Play Store. Just the first episodes of each m

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Looks like The Walking Dead games seasons one and two among with The Wolf Among Us are free on the Play Store.

I think it's just the first episode of each season and then the rest of the episodes are in-app purchases

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Just got my first Android phone, a Samsung galaxy s5. Was $100 in store on black Friday with a $250 rebate and I'm upgrading from an iPhone4 so I'm pretty happy.

Gonna browse through this thread bit what are some things I should know and essential apps?

Better Open With and Link Bubble are great apps.

工事中
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Never heard of either one.

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Cokebotle wrote: »

Never heard of either one.

same here... my go to installs are always

Chrome
    Facebook (sue me)
    Twitter client of your choice (Carbon for me)
    Twitch
    MX Player/VLC Beta

and for the love of all that is holy, make sure your apps are always updated (should be on by default, but some require you approve new permissions before they'll update)

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Also, go into the Play Store and turn off the thing that puts a shortcut on the homescreen for every app you install.

This isn't iOS. You have an app drawer.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Nova Launcher if you don't like the home screen that is built in.

I have App Dialer as my app drawer button and with Nova Launcher I can make it so swiping up opens the real app drawer.

Textra for SMS.

Poweramp for music.

Pocket is cool.

Google Keep for notes.

This discussion has been closed.