As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i wanna know what [chat] is

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    David Bowie has issued a new single. Hmm

It was the most surprising story of the morning

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Japanese is great because much of the language is very logical and easy to work with. The alphabets are a bit rough

they aren't a full syllabary like Akkadian or Ugaritic though thanks to Japanese having so few distinct sounds compared to most languages. Only a few dozen characters with two versions each.

Syllabic Akkadian aparently has like 800 symbols for even basic literacy. And those aren't symbols or ideograms. Just syllables.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    these speed runners seem really bad at l4d

playing on easy? what casuals

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Japanese is great because much of the language is very logical and easy to work with. The alphabets are a bit rough

they aren't a full syllabary like Akkadian or Ugaritic though thanks to Japanese having so few distinct sounds compared to most languages. Only a few dozen characters with two versions each.

Syllabic Akkadian aparently has like 800 symbols for even basic literacy. And those aren't symbols or ideograms. Just syllables.

D:

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I did four years in high school and two quarters in college. I dunno, maybe my brain is weird, but it was a lot harder to grasp than other stuff.

beats the hell out of having to learn a dozen different conjugations for each verb. Separately. With no sensible rules to fall back on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIAdHEwiAy8

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    The thing that I appreciate about spoken Japanese is the absence of a bunch of crazy, tongue-twisting sounds, rising and falling pitch, etc. Cantonese is absolutely impenetrable in comparison, for the non-native speaker.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options

D:

what makes it worse is apparently to really learn the language you first have to learn at least German because archeologists.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited January 2013

D:

what makes it worse is apparently to really learn the language you first have to learn at least German because archeologists.

Yeah, you have to be able to eavesdrop on Nazi sentries so you know where the evil rival archaeologist is keeping your lady friend captive, and where he's hiding the ancient artifact he stole from you.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

That is absolutely crazy.

• Options
    edited January 2013

from what I understand they have different symbols for every combination of noun+vowel you can think of then more for every one of those in reverse. And some for multi-syllable sounds.

oh and there are some complex symbols that are more like kanji in that they represent a full work or idea rather than a syllable. That's about half of the 800 IIRC.

edit: this was the common diplomatic language (the lingua franca if you will) of the middle and late bronze age near east. If the Pharoah of New Kingdom Egypt wanted to write to the King of Hatti or Hurri Land or Hanglibat or Mari or Kassite Babylon or even Crete (and they often did write to all those places, very much unlike the previous period prior to the 17th century BCE ish) they would write it is Akkadian cuneiform.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I wonder if there are any good essays or books on why Japan is so much worse at English than it should be.

I bet there are.

why should it be better?

Based on their over all level of education, the strength of their economy and other factors their English should be around a certain level. But other countries in the area that are worse off in these departments, some developing countries, etc, have a higher level of English than Japan. Basically they just aren't at the level you would expect given their other relevant statistics.

Japanese is the hardest language for an English speaker to learn. With the definite article. Even Chinese is easier. I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar the other way. The languages are different, more so from each other than any others apparently.

you think so? I did 2 years of Japanese at university and the spoken language is dead simple compared to any european language. Absurdly so.

Only past and non-past tense. Only 2 irregular verbs in the whole language (it's the anti-Latin!). no conjugating nouns.

The worst of it (and that is not hard) is memorizing a few oddities like what terms you use when counting depending on what object is being counted. Even keigo is way less complex than it seems at first.

It's only Kanji that are difficult. And only then because of the crazy ass way they imported them from china by way of korea by means of total crazypants.

This is why tech trading for writing is a terrible idea in a Civ game.

• Options
    edited January 2013

from what I understand they have different symbols for every combination of noun+vowel you can think of then more for every one of those in reverse. And some for multi-syllable sounds.

oh and there are some complex symbols that are more like kanji in that they represent a full work or idea rather than a syllable. That's about half of the 800 IIRC.

Lots of borrowed characters/syllables I'm guessing? Sounds like the kind of language you'd end up with when two or three complete, self-contained languages are put in a blender together along with a bunch of loan words brought over along trade routes.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Lots of borrowed characters/syllables I'm guessing? Sounds like the kind of language you'd end up with when two or three complete, self-contained languages are put in a blender together along with a bunch of loan words brought over along trade routes.

The Akkadian language shows up in the old babylonian period in mesopotamia (so, in the 3000s BCE. same time as Old Kingdom Egypt). It borrowed its writing system from Sumerian which is from the same area and which Akkadian completely replaced by the middle bronze age. The symbols in the language that are more like Kanji are often of Sumerian origin. But the spoken language apparently didn't absorb too much as Sumerian is really different gramaticially.

edit: oh and in general people have found Akkadian loan words showing up in every area they came contact with rather than the other way around.

it is also the oldest known semitic language actually (like later Amorite or West Semitic or much later Hebrew or Arabic).

futher edit: Assyrian grew out of old Akkadian then diverged. But they both go back to a common language in the time of Sargon.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    David Bowie has issued a new single. Hmm

It was the most surprising story of the morning
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm pretty impressed with Katawa Shoujo so far.

Not so much the writing part of it: it tends to drag a bit with the pacing (which I guess means it captures the spirit of Visual Novels perfectly), especially anything involving the one other guy in the story.

But I am impressed with the way they're handling the premise: the game actually touches on the prejudices with interacting with disabled people, and actually goes a way to teach a lesson about how their impairments are only an issue if you make it an issue, and how they're just as normal as the rest of us.

The last thing I would expect out of anything out of 4chan is an important life lesson, but there you go.

It also inspired me to play around with Ren'py, a free program for creating VNs. It's a learning process, but I'm slowly getting the idea while also using existing assets to test the features out. Not sure if I'll ever go so far as to actually make a VN (which I obviously couldn't do alone without an artist), but the scripting experience could prove useful down the road.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I think I had a dream about one of the twins from Sweet Valley High. She had a very nice hair cut.

But it was all in a weird pixel-art style. Having dreams with a particular art style is strangely upsetting.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    That's pretty cool, Riemann. I've been fascinated by ancient civilizations in Mesopotamia and the Levant ever since I started playing the original Age of Empires, which came with a concise history book cleverly disguised as a manual, but I didn't know much about the way their languages developed and spread.

Edit: For anyone who's never seen it, I'm not kidding about the AoE manual. I once used it to cram for an exam on ancient civilizations. Aced it.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Bowie making a record is actually genuinely surprising and exciting news. Kinda underlines how poxy most AMAZING NEW THING stories are.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    If you want to be impressed by visual novels you should try something by Christine Love

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I think I had a dream about one of the twins from Sweet Valley High. She had a very nice hair cut.

But it was all in a weird pixel-art style. Having dreams with a particular art style is strangely upsetting.

You're telling me, I've been dreaming in Bosch for years

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Tarranon wrote: »
    If you want to be impressed by visual novels you should try something by Christine Love

Had to look up the name, but I do own and have played Analogue: A Hate Story.

That's more of a visual log-book with occasional story elements, but it's still good.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Bowie now needs to sign up for Labyrinth 2: Still Lost

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

You're telling me, I've been dreaming in Bosch for years

While that could easily lead to some very messed up nightmares, I'd almost welcome the surreal experience. My dreams tend to be quite literal, and when they're about something as terrifying as being cornered by ravenous undead, this is quite upsetting.

• Options
    We can kickstart this.

For £5000 you'll get one of the seven codpieces used during shooting.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    There seems to have been a heroic attempt by an American talk radio whacko to make Piers Morgan seem sympathetic by comparison. Amazing.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I read The Ender's OP twice on that driving thread and I want to ask what the point is but it seems like "Do you have something you'd like to discuss?" would be a fairly dickish thing to put as a reply :?

I mean is it actually him just ranting out of the blue or am I misreading something?

• Options
    We can kickstart this.

At the £10000 donation level, you get one of Jennifer Connelly's brassieres used during shooting.

What? She's a grown woman in this one. It's not creepy.

• Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    There seems to have been a heroic attempt by an American talk radio whacko to make Piers Morgan seem sympathetic by comparison. Amazing.

I would have thought this impossible. It is a great rant though. We live in a police start plagued by violence, Bogart. Only gun violence can set us free. Or we'll invade America. Again

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    England prevails, gentlemen

• Options
    Tarranon wrote: »

Had to look up the name, but I do own and have played Analogue: A Hate Story.

That's more of a visual log-book with occasional story elements, but it's still good.

sorry babe it just aint your story is also pretty alright and free

bonus points if you read it the way the author intended. think of it as a creeper litmus test?

i mostly appreciate her because she actually tries to innovate within the medium. if you're telling a visual story, there's so many more ways you can let the player mess around with the environment than just giving them dialog choices.

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    We can kickstart this.

At the £10000 donation level, you get one of Jennifer Connelly's brassieres used during shooting.

What? She's a grown woman in this one. It's not creepy.

we can use this
    for an extra 10000 you get a certificate from her confirming It's totally not creepy

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I'm supposed to take an antibiotic every couple hours or so. I can't remember whether I just took one.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Controversial Opinion: I think the synchronized movements the pilots exhibit in the Pacific Rim trailer look silly oHbpO.gif

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    I should've picked up Analogue when it was last on sale

woe is me

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I'm supposed to take an antibiotic every couple hours or so. I can't remember whether I just took one.
    The fuck?

Do you have some sort of horrific tropical bacterial infection?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Bogart wrote: »

Listening to talk radio is like reading Youtube comments. No one should be doing it. This is an oubliette into which douchebag blowhards are exiled, for the express purpose of sequestering their bullshit where no one will hear it or notice it.

Zoku Gojira on
  • Options
    ronya wrote: »

Oh dear. Maybe make some time labeled or numbered pill boxes so you can be sure in future

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The most dangerous thing to do in the world is be an old friend or young relative of Jessica Fletcher. You will either be murdered or implicated in one.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Freelancing is nerve-wracking!

Got no savings left, scrabbling to pay the bills. Holidays trashing my income, people canceling classes coz they're busy, which reduces my income catastrophically. And then within minutes of cancellations, other people wanting new lessons.

And then just now, someone asking if I'd like to work essentially full-time as a consultant at Price Waterhouse Coopers! No idea if that will work out or fall through, but right now I'm just exhausted from the emotional roller coaster.

I figure I could take a bear.
This discussion has been closed.