As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The PAX East 2013 International Food Exchange (How do you like your coffee?)

• Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Oh man, I second Cherry Bawls. I've never seen it around and even the regular and Geek Beer are almost impossible to find. :(

UyhWici.png
  • Options
    MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I'm from Northern NJ and would be happy to take request from anything around here! Just let me know and I'll try to find it!

signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    @LexiconGrrl does the Bueno's have to be from France? we have them over here too. I have no idea if they do it differently...

I don't think so - English and German Buenos taste the same as the French ones so they're probably all identical.
    @LexiconGrrl I actually think I can get Kinder Bueno here. I can get a whole random assortment of Kinder stuff and those look familiar. I am not guaranteeing the recipe will be the same, but I can bring 'em!

I do wonder however, if the Asian Buenos taste differently (God help us all if they've substituted the vanilla filling for durian). They're small and light (ie: easy to pack), so I vote for a taste test at PAX!

And also don't understand why more Kinder chocolate isn't sold in the US.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    gonexallgonexall PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I don't know how widespread they are, but I never saw a Tastykake or peanut chew until I moved from Michigan to Philly. If anyone wants, I can bring some of these. Forgive me if they are ubiquitous on the East Coast.

• Options
    sillyzombie666sillyzombie666 massRegistered User regular
    o if any ones coming from france or know what they are my fathers been looking for these cookies its shaped like a piece of toast with a smile face on them and it has a chocolate center no clue what its called

You mean these?

(Note: I'm not in France so not sure I can procure any.)
    \

YES YES YES back in like 02 and 03 i think i went to england and france for a day trip, but there was a french store next to one of our hotels and my dad bought like 10 bags of thoses, if any one can find me a way to buy those please pm me i dont care if i get them at pax or just buy em myself

I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN
  • Options
    @chaosisorder baijiu ? is that code for every thing below? lol remember i will try almost any thing as long as its not fish flavored, i loved those japan pancakes ... also i can't remember if it was you but you had green tea pocky n i think another kind

also people please ask me for something i felt like such a mooch last year. so far i am bring new england candies whatchamacallit bars, necco waffers , a pile of abba zabbas i got for xmas (if i dont finish the box) some of my homemade ginger snaps. any thing else guys? i work at a groccery store so im sure i can find something strange in one of our isles, also i live by an ocean state job lot those stores have alot of odd things

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    @sillyzombie666 Baijiu is the chinese paint thinner liquor, the least most requested thing from China

• Options
    @sillyzombie666 Baijiu is the chinese paint thinner liquor, the least most requested thing from China

it had no taste, i would rather drink that than beer

• Options
    vicechanvicechan Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @chaosisorder I never thought I'd read someone ever asking for "SumPoosie" but I guess it happened. I'll check Spencer's the next time I'm in one, but I haven't seen that swill beverage in a long time. Do you like cherry things in general? I bought some Cherry M&M's with you in mind.

@sillyzombie666, you're not a mooch. Although I'm not crazy about Necco wafers. But I wouldn't know that if you didn't bring them last year. Chocolate soda sounds good. What kind of funky Utz chips do you have in your store?

I had orovirus this week and it sucked. I'll naturally be A-OK in time for this, but I think some hand sanitizer for all of us gathering and eating together might be a good call. I have a number of Bath and Body Works tiny bottles, but does someone want to volunteer and maybe bring a good size pump?

vicechan on
  • Options
    @vicechan the wafers i actually liked oddly enough, the sodas are good depending what ones i get there some in glass bottles $2 a pop those are thicker than just water and really have a reall coco taste almost like cold hot chocolate. the other kind are in big seltzer water bottles and taste like a watered down tootsie roll and are like a buck so i can bring one of each or 2 of the $2 kind and 1 of the $1 kind since its a big bottle. as for odd stuff in my store i always ask venders but they usually tell me just to go to their website and look, or if i ask the Pepsi guys for Japanese Pepsi they say look on ebay. we have a small international isle but i'll find some strange stuff

also im not sure how aloud this is or if any ones interested i can bring some drunken gummies, aka gummie bears soaked in vodka for a week with some fruit punch flavor 3- 5 of them are pretty much the same as a shot and they are about the consistency of jello and they get pretty big. i can buy a few packs of gummies and some Maison jars so people can take em home. but i will warn you, once you have one you eat them like gummie bears but they will hit you quickly

• Options
    cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    I have a hard time making it to NH but I'm trying to acquire a bottle(s) of Jack Daniels Winter Jack. Anyone from NH or come through there?

It's mostly if not completely sold out, though I can search for a bottle if you'd like! We definitely have Evan Williams' version, too.

And as I said, I live in NH, which is in the states. I figure if I can buy Kinder Eggs at my corner candy store there isn't a problem. I used smuggle as a joke.

Me too! I live on the border, so I can look in my area as well. Just Jack Daniel's Winter Jack? I'm not a heavy drinker so I'm not sure what exactly to look for... haha.

Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Options
    hey would any one like coffee syrup? its for milk pretty much like chocolate syrup but coffee milk, i was told its pretty much a ma ri thing so if this is the case ill buy some

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I have a hard time making it to NH but I'm trying to acquire a bottle(s) of Jack Daniels Winter Jack. Anyone from NH or come through there?

It's mostly if not completely sold out, though I can search for a bottle if you'd like! We definitely have Evan Williams' version, too.

And as I said, I live in NH, which is in the states. I figure if I can buy Kinder Eggs at my corner candy store there isn't a problem. I used smuggle as a joke.

Me too! I live on the border, so I can look in my area as well. Just Jack Daniel's Winter Jack? I'm not a heavy drinker so I'm not sure what exactly to look for... haha.

Yes, I got a taste of it and now I want my own bottle....or two haha. Im not sure of exclusive stuff to other places or anything so I have simple needs. Also, the local Walmart has tons of S'more Poptarts, for anyone whose looking I can bring some. I'll feel better knowing I can contribute rather than just asking for stuff.

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    xipetotecxipetotec Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Coming from Canada. So as others have said, I'm ready to bring anything we can offer. Aforementioned chocolates/cookies. Maybe Maple Syrup ( i am coming from Quebec )?

So here's the thing... The wife and I were watching the latest season of Misfits... and Rudy was bellyaching about wanting Prawn Cocktail crisps.... Sooo if anyone is coming from the UK, I would *LOVE* the get my hands on some of these!! ( and any other kinds of chips we might not have here ).

I'm also open to other international trades for our Canadian wares. Also willing to bring in Canadian alcohol ( within my limits of course ).

Aside from that, I'm a sucker for stuff from *anywhere* that I can't get at home, so I'm up to trade for just about anything I can provide...

xipetotec on
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    I'm not a huge beer person but I've found out that I've been taking Yuengling for granted. I wasn't planning on bringing any alcohol up to Boston but if someone would like it, I can pick up a 6 pack or so.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yuengling is the best beer. I say this as a loyal Pennsylvanian.

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'm not a huge beer person but I've found out that I've been taking Yuengling for granted. I wasn't planning on bringing any alcohol up to Boston but if someone would like it, I can pick up a 6 pack or so.

*raises hand*

And I guess my friend is going to make fresh fish cakes or something, fresh from glorious Gloucester.

• Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Yuengling is the best beer. I say this as a loyal Pennsylvanian.

I don't get out of the Mid-Atlantic often enough. One 6 pack to @TheAggroCraig.

• Options
    I think Yuengling is overrated, but I also cut my drinking teeth in the South. ;P

However, fresh fish cakes sound glorious!

• Options
    OMG, I Love Yuengling. I wish they sold it out West. Why can we get *other* crappy American pilsners but not a good one like that?

• Options
    xipetotec wrote: »
    Coming from Canada. So as others have said, I'm ready to bring anything we can offer. Aforementioned chocolates/cookies. Maybe Maple Syrup ( i am coming from Quebec )?

So here's the thing... The wife and I were watching the latest season of Misfits... and Rudy was bellyaching about wanting Prawn Cocktail crisps.... Sooo if anyone is coming from the UK, I would *LOVE* the get my hands on some of these!! ( and any other kinds of chips we might not have here ).

I'm also open to other international trades for our Canadian wares. Also willing to bring in Canadian alcohol ( within my limits of course ).

Aside from that, I'm a sucker for stuff from *anywhere* that I can't get at home, so I'm up to trade for just about anything I can provide...

If I'm assuming the Prawn Cocktail crisps are like shrimp chips, you can get those right in Chinatown. My guess, the UK version is much lighter on the shrimp taste than the Japanese version, as an fyi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_Ebisen

• Options
    If I'm assuming the Prawn Cocktail crisps are like shrimp chips, you can get those right in Chinatown. My guess, the UK version is much lighter on the shrimp taste than the Japanese version, as an fyi.

They're not, funnily enough. They're actual potato chips flavored with tomato, prawn and worscestershire sauce. A Prawn of a Different Color! And damn tasty.

• Options
    xipetotecxipetotec Registered User regular

They're not, funnily enough. They're actual potato chips flavored with tomato, prawn and worscestershire sauce. A Prawn of a Different Color! And damn tasty.

That being said, I'd also love to get my hands on Worcestershire sauce flavored chips. ( I know Walkers makes both ). Hopefully some kind British person will help me out :)

• Options
    xipetotec wrote: »

That being said, I'd also love to get my hands on Worcestershire sauce flavored chips. ( I know Walkers makes both ). Hopefully some kind British person will help me out :)

Actually, now that I think about it, I think there's a roast chicken potato chip in England too. I didn't do a comparison to the French one but if someone had say... an extra carry on allowance that they could use for a cardboard box full of English potato chips...

• Options

Oooo, interesting! Sounds like a very interesting mix! :) Good luck!

• Options
    PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I guess I am adding some Walkers to my list of goodies :P

http://www.walkers.co.uk/OurRange/Index?pageName=walkerscrisps

PurpleBek on
    pax%20sig.png
  • Options
    Walkers sound so good! I'd love to try some of the more unusual ones!

• Options
    So in the interest of full disclosure for any brits pondering hauling crisps across the pond, the following flavors are easy to find in the US and not so exotic:

Salt and Vinegar
    Barbeque
    Sour Cream and Onion (or any variant thereof)
    Plain Salted

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    The KitKat acquiring has begun.
    ggrYU87.jpg

• Options
    The KitKat acquiring has begun.
    ggrYU87.jpg

dedce405_Mother20of20God.jpg

i really want to try some

• Options
    I just bought some Oreo Mega Stuf for the meet-up, which is like 3 to 4 times the normal amount of cream in a single Oreo. Because nothing says American snack food like quad damage.

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »
    I just bought some Oreo Mega Stuf for the meet-up, which is like 3 to 4 times the normal amount of cream in a single Oreo. Because nothing says American snack food like quad damage.

O.O they make mega stuf? This is relevant to my interests.
    DSC07007.jpg

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Yep! It's a limited edition for their anniversary, I think. Want a package of your own? They also have Golden Mega Stuf, I think.

• Options
    MaressaMaressa Registered User new member
    Hi everyone. My husband and I are making the trek from Ireland and love the idea of a food exchange. We would love to take part, so if there are any requests let me know!

• Options
    MelSnyMelSny New JerseyRegistered User regular
    I am planning on bringing some girl scout cookies to share if anyone would like them. I can probably take requests if there are a specific kind anyone wants.
    ~Thin Mints: Thin, mint-flavored chocolate wafers dipped in a chocolate coating
    ~Samoas: Vanilla cookies coated in caramel, sprinkled with toasted coconut and laced with chocolate stripes.
    ~Tagalongs: Crispy vanilla cookies layered with peanut butter and covered with a chocolate coating
    ~Do-si-dos: Peanut butter filling sandwiched between crunchy oatmeal cookies
    ~Trefoils: A traditional shortbread cookie made in the shape of the Girl Scout trefoil
    ~Savannah Smiles: Lemon wedge cookies dusted with powdered sugar
    ~Dulce de Leche: Bite-size cookies with milk caramel chips
    ~Thank You Berry Munch: Cookies with cranberries and white fudge chips

I am also coming from NJ so if there is anything in this area that anyone wants give me a shout! I would love to try different chocolates or chips from other countries or regions of the US.

signature.png

"You want to kill me? You couldn't even kill my boredom" - Roronoa Zoro (One Piece).

Attending PAX East since 2011.
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    vicechan wrote: »
    Yep! It's a limited edition for their anniversary, I think. Want a package of your own? They also have Golden Mega Stuf, I think.

They've been going overboard with the "limited edition" flavors. I don't need you to bring me any. I'm sure I can find them around here if I look. Thanks though :)

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If anyones coming from Germany, or Norway, I would love you forever if you brought me chocolate! Money/random requests/dinner will be traded!
    Or Japanese Sake. But I guess my price limit on that is $30 USD.
    It is impossible to find any Sake of any kind in Idaho :(

Im not sure why, as I thought it was banned, but I may be able to bring some Four Loko(12% caffeinated malt) Ill have to check up on how to get it from Idaho to Boston(unless someone can let me know how via PM)

Alpha I Omega on
    | Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • Options
    Ben2998Ben2998 Master Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I can bring some french labelled things plus poutine , but not sure it will be that good after a day in a car haha
    Wouldn't do that if I were you, bringing any kind of food that was made using animal or fruits is illegal according to the CPB website. But a potato is a potato and cheese is cheese. Maybe you can bring dried St-Hubert sauce or the canned one if they don't mention anything about meat on the label. According to their website, in the worst case scenario they will ask you to leave it behind.

Ben2998 on
    Conquered PAX East 2013!
    Planning PAX East 2014 invasion:
    [ ... ] Hotel | [ ... ] Travel | ✓ Pass
  • Options
    Ben2998 wrote: »
    I can bring some french labelled things plus poutine , but not sure it will be that good after a day in a car haha
    Wouldn't do that if I were you, bringing any kind of food that was made using animal or fruits is illegal according to the CPB website. But a potato is a potato and cheese is cheese. Maybe you can bring dried St-Hubert sauce or the canned one if they don't mention anything about meat on the label. According to their website, in the worst case scenario they will ask you to leave it behind.

it was more of a joke, since i know no one can bring me poutine, but if some one can some how get me the canadian cheese curds and the canned gravy that would be doable

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    If anyones coming from Germany, or Norway, I would love you forever if you brought me chocolate! Money/random requests/dinner will be traded!
    Or Japanese Sake. But I guess my price limit on that is $30 USD.
    It is impossible to find any Sake of any kind in Idaho :(

Im not sure why, as I thought it was banned, but I may be able to bring some Four Loko(12% caffeinated malt) Ill have to check up on how to get it from Idaho to Boston(unless someone can let me know how via PM)

They changed the Four Loko recipe, which is why it's available.

This discussion has been closed.