Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

...Especially when [Driving] a maniacal Toon vehicle.

24

Posts

  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular

    Man, what? How is that even comprehensible while you're driving in it? That is insane.

    Al_wat
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    4-way intersections most definitely have their place though. In super congested areas I think its better to have 4 way lights since dealing with roundabouts like some of the ones in Paris is a fucking nightmare. 8 lane roundabout? Fuck that noise and put in some god damn stop lights.

    Actually, England has a unique solution to this problem: Inception-esque roundabouts within roundabouts, where several smaller roundabouts lead into larger center roundabouts to direct a heavier flow of traffic.

    Okay, that sounds very interesting and now Im going to spend like 40 minutes on Google maps trying to find one.
    magic_roundabout-1.jpg

    Also, my favorite personal bad driver anecdote:
    Driving late at night, 3 lane highway, I'm in the middle lane. Doing about 70 (10 mph over). No one else on the road. Some jerkass in a giant lifted pickup comes up out of nowhere and starts riding my tail. We're still the only cars on the road, he could pass me on either side without any effort. Annoyed, I simply let off the gas and start coasting. Made it down to 30 mph before he finally passed me.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • AtomikaAtomika not a robot. does not eat bugs!Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    emp123 wrote: »
    Actually, England has a unique solution to this problem: Inception-esque roundabouts within roundabouts, where several smaller roundabouts lead into larger center roundabouts to direct a heavier flow of traffic.

    Okay, that sounds very interesting and now Im going to spend like 40 minutes on Google maps trying to find one.

    The one I've been on was in Watford Hemel, I believe.

    Atomika on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

    I think my brain broke but I like it.


    EDIT: Although Im still not convinced that something like that could handle the 12+ lane intersections Im thinking of.

    emp123 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ooh I found a dualie!
    s31b.jpg

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • agoajagoaj Now is the time of my revengeRegistered User regular
    I just got my permit a few months ago.

    When does the fear go away?

    Because this threads not helping with that.

    qnu0EMk.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I just got my permit a few months ago.

    When does the fear go away?

    Because this threads not helping with that.

    It shouldnt.


    But like 6 months.

    camo_sig2.png
    ZombiemamboCommunistCow
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    When does the fear go away?

    When the fear goes away, you have about one perfect month of being a good driver before the pendulum swings too far to the other side and you become an aggressive jerkface.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    ZombiemamboXenogear_0001CommunistCowlonelyahava
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    On another topic, if you are a passenger do you ever comment to the driver if they are driving badly? I used to try and just keep quiet and let them drive, but these days I try and politely point out if they are doing something unsafe because, well, it is a safety concern.

    I have a friend who texts while driving. He talks about how his parents taught him to be a great driver. I'm surprised he survived a cross country trip, texting the whole fucking way.

    I will never ride with him again.

  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    When does the fear go away?

    When the fear goes away, you have about one perfect month of being a good driver before the pendulum swings too far to the other side and you become an aggressive jerkface.

    And then you will drive like this until your first life and death experience, which will cause you to slow the fuck down again.

    For a while.

    PSN: AWATTT66| XBox Live: AWATTT66| Steam: AL-WAT| Battle.Net: ALWATTS #1320
    Origin: aiwatt| Switch: SW-8499-0918-5960
    Xenogear_0001lonelyahava
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    I gotta say, I'm loving all the Russian car crash videos.
    I think people in general would be better suited to watch a lot of them, especially considering 99%+ can be avoided in the first place.

  • agoajagoaj Now is the time of my revengeRegistered User regular
    Drivers Ed highlights
    Michael Richards on insurance


    No Zone rap

    qnu0EMk.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    You can kill someone else

    That's the big one for me right there.

    I don't care if you decide to paint the road a nice new shade of red with your own dumb ass, but get someone else involved and there is a very special place in hell reserved just for you.

    JKKaAGp.png
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I actually like driving, something about it just feels right to me. It's just driving around other people that makes it awful. In Florida (specifically Tampa and vicinity), there are lots of terrible, terrible drivers. Just lots and lots of stupid fucking people doing stupid fucking things. List of things I hate while driving:

    -People who change lanes without indicating, or indicate after they change lanes.
    -People who speed up when you indicate to change lanes. Because God forbid someone gets in front of you.
    -People who don't abide by yield signs. Yield signs might as well be in Chinese with how often they're ignored.
    -People who turn right when there's no right on red. I can understand not seeing a sign that says it, but when the fucking signal light is a right arrow that's red? That's you being retarded. And don't fucking honk at me for doing it right.

    That's just a few. The worst thing I've ever seen while driving was while I was waiting to turn left onto I-275, when the light turned green a driver in the lane to the right turned left onto the on ramp. This has happened to me twice. Twice. If I was a more vindictive man, not to mention stupid, I'd plow right into them on principle.

    ZombiemamboXenogear_0001FeralRagnar Dragonfyre
  • Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The thing I hate about being a careful driver is I can be the safest goddamn driver in the world and some other goose can come along and fuck everything up anyway.

    How right you are. Personal experience time!

    I just recently finished having my car repaired, and had to get a rebuilt title as a result. The reason? I was in two accidents in less than three weeks, both right around the corner from where I work (downtown Orlando). Neither were my fault, it should be mentioned, and I wasn't hurt too badly either, so it definitely could have been much worse.

    The first was just a simple rear-ending. I paused to make a left turn on a two lane street; had my left turn-signal on, too. The guy behind me just plows into me full speed (I'm guessing 30 or 35 mph). Like, he didn't break at all, as I heard no squealing of brakes or anything. Amazingly, it only did a bit of damage to my trunk door. Stupidly, however, I didn't get the police involved which made the insurance proceedings take longer since no fault was legally established. It was a good thing the guy who hit me was stand-up about it. He told his insurance company the same story I did, so everything worked out as it was supposed to.

    The second one was just a block or so from my office. It happened at a weird, three-way kind of intersection (Orange/Ivanhoe/Something-else). I was cruising along--just under the speed limit--when I noticed someone just ahead waiting at the stop sign to turn across traffic. The intersection is arranged in such a way that you have to make a left turn out in front of people in order to continue the way you're going. But you don't do this at the part of the intersection you'd expect; instead, you just cut through our lanes of traffic. As I said, it's a strange intersection. Anyway, I saw him there, and had my eye on him the whole time. Of course, that motherfucker decided to go right as I'm passing by him. I tried to swerve, but it was too little too late. He did the equivalent of a one-inch-punch, vehicle-to-vehicle style. Now, you'd think that wouldn't be so bad, but you'd be wrong. He rammed right into my passenger-side rear axle, bending it inward and doing substantial shell damage in the process. Fortunately, I did call the police this time. I was a bit angry.

    All of this is to say that speed is only one factor to consider when driving, and you can't account for other people as much as you'd think. I pride myself on being an excellent driver, and it didn't matter--fuckers got me anyway. And really, there wasn't anything I could do to prevent either accident, short of being able to see the future.

    Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I treat every other person on the road like they're a drunk, texting teenager.

    Wide berths to all. Wary eyes on all of them. I'll trust those fuckers when they aren't driving one-ton hunks of murder near me at 60mph.

    The only good thing about working at 2 in the morning? Ghost-town work commute to get there. Easy to keep an eye on your fellow drivers when there's only 5 or 6 of them on the entire interstate drive to work.

    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Zombiemambolonelyahava
  • PelPel Registered User regular

    For some reason I just couldn't process how this worked, so I loaded it into GIMP and reversed it so everyone was driving on the proper side of the road again. Now it all makes sense.

    GreasyKidsStuffFeral
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Paranoiac Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The thing I hate about being a careful driver is I can be the safest goddamn driver in the world and some other goose can come along and fuck everything up anyway.

    How right you are. Personal experience time!

    I just recently finished having my car repaired, and had to get a rebuilt title as a result. The reason? I was in two accidents in less than three weeks, both right around the corner from where I work (downtown Orlando). Neither were my fault, it should be mentioned, and I wasn't hurt too badly either, so it definitely could have been much worse.

    The first was just a simple rear-ending. I paused to make a left turn on a two lane street; had my left turn-signal on, too. The guy behind me just plows into me full speed (I'm guessing 30 or 35 mph). Like, he didn't break at all, as I heard no squealing of brakes or anything. Amazingly, it only did a bit of damage to my trunk door. Stupidly, however, I didn't get the police involved which made the insurance proceedings take longer since no fault was legally established. It was a good thing the guy who hit me was stand-up about it. He told his insurance company the same story I did, so everything worked out as it was supposed to.

    The second one was just a block or so from my office. It happened at a weird, three-way kind of intersection (Orange/Ivanhoe/Something-else). I was cruising along--just under the speed limit--when I noticed someone just ahead waiting at the stop sign to turn across traffic. The intersection is arranged in such a way that you have to make a left turn out in front of people in order to continue the way you're going. But you don't do this at the part of the intersection you'd expect; instead, you just cut through our lanes of traffic. As I said, it's a strange intersection. Anyway, I saw him there, and had my eye on him the whole time. Of course, that motherfucker decided to go right as I'm passing by him. I tried to swerve, but it was too little too late. He did the equivalent of a one-inch-punch, vehicle-to-vehicle style. Now, you'd think that wouldn't be so bad, but you'd be wrong. He rammed right into my passenger-side rear axle, bending it inward and doing substantial shell damage in the process. Fortunately, I did call the police this time. I was a bit angry.

    All of this is to say that speed is only one factor to consider when driving, and you can't account for other people as much as you'd think. I pride myself on being an excellent driver, and it didn't matter--fuckers got me anyway. And really, there wasn't anything I could do to prevent either accident, short of being able to see the future.

    Least they were at fault. Totaled a car when some chick cut in a few inches away from my bumper and slammed her brakes. With no warning. And I don't just watch for turn signals, California has conditioned me to watch car placement in other lanes and even the fucking heads of other drivers (#1 indicator somebody is going to change lanes). She zipped up doing about 20 miles over traffic, swooped in without telegraphing her move in any fashion, slammed her brakes and my airbags were off before I could even so much as tap my own.

    Because she was just that special, in her world she had been cruising in that lane for the previous five miles and was dumbfounded as to why I didn't stop. Least that's what she told the CHP.

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Roundabouts are pretty easy to grasp if expressed as a combination of two things drivers already
    Pel wrote: »

    For some reason I just couldn't process how this worked, so I loaded it into GIMP and reversed it so everyone was driving on the proper side of the road again. Now it all makes sense.

    Actually the biggest problem with that junction is the fact that you travel around the centre of it in the opposite direction to that of a normal roundabout.

    I presume that is the reason for the road markings being so comprehensive relative to most roundabouts.

  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I just got my permit a few months ago.

    When does the fear go away?

    Because this threads not helping with that.

    The goal isn't the scare you - the goal is to raise your consciousness. Driving really is a dangerous activity, and you should be giving it respect as such. Getting behind the wheel with white-knuckled fear obviously isn't going to help anyone, but you should be driving cautiously and always have it in the back of your mind that you are playing around with enough kinetic energy to turn yourself & a family of 6 into spaghetti sauce if you get lackadaisical.

    If your driver's ed course was any good, they taught you things like leaving at least 2 car lengths between yourself and the vehicle in front of you (wherever possible), shoulder checking (Shoulder, signal, mirror, shoulder) and getting in the habit of doing at least a basic walk-around / check-up on your vehicle before hopping in it to head out. There are no guarantees that you'll never get into an accident, but if you make the safety measures into a routine and concentrate on how you can be a better driver rather than on how everyone else is just such an idiot, you'll have minimized your risk on the roads.

    Also, like the man in the OP says, slow down.

    With Love and Courage
  • agoajagoaj Now is the time of my revengeRegistered User regular
    I'm the student the instructors have to tell to speed up.

    They told me they wish the car had a passenger side accelerator.

    qnu0EMk.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD along with you if I get drunk well I know I'm gonna be gonna be the man whoRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I'm the student the instructors have to tell to speed up.

    They told me they wish the car had a passenger side accelerator.

    I failed my first driving test for driving too timidly.

    We were on a 35mph thoroughfare and approaching an intersection where I had right of way. I wasn't sure if the car approaching the intersection from the cross-street was going to stop in time, so I slowed way down. The instructor told me to accelerate and then said after the test that he couldn't pass me because I created an unsafe situation by slowing down too much on that thoroughfare.

    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Man, I dunno if we want to turn this into a dashcam thread, but sometimes you can't really do much:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FhVGeIgLdlI

    The poster of the video does have a point, get out of the area/pull over to the side when there's a crash/black ice if you can. Your presence is just compounding the problem.

    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    My two biggest pet peeves in driving are slow fuckers in the passing lane and people who merge at the very last second (even if there were openings) in a terminating lane, causing all traffic behind them to stop or slow down.

    The second one especially pisses me off. I really wish the police would better enforce laws pertaining to impeding the flow of traffic. So many problems on the highway are caused by selfish drivers.

    steam_sig.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Yeah, defensive driving is ultimately about minimizing risk to you, your vehicle and everyone else on the road. Unfortunately, you can't reduce your chance of an accident all the way to 0, but you can sure as heck reduce the amount of damage that can happen. No crash is better than minor accident which is better than injury which is better than death. All you can do is try your best to reduce the likelyhood of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Any action you can take to make yourself safer on the roads is one you should do.

    The driver in that video actually did a pretty good job of a very bad situation and came out better than alot of other people it seems. He did his best to brake, but when he realized he wasn't going to stop, he did something even better. He let go of the brake and steered around the trouble. There are two things I have learned from watching Canada's Worst Driver and they are to let go of the brake in a situation like that because you can't stop and steer at the same time and to look where you want to go. He did both, so he fortunately avoided rear ending anyone (unlike the guy next to him at the start) and he managed to not run into anyone else. While that likely would have only been a minor accident, you can still severely hurt someone if you slam into them in just the right way. That semi truck that was bowling through everyone could certainly have fucked someone up too pretty damn easily.

    Minimize your risk people!

  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

    And now I see where Pratchett got the idea for a traffic pattern that cranks out evil.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Yeah, defensive driving is ultimately about minimizing risk to you, your vehicle and everyone else on the road. Unfortunately, you can't reduce your chance of an accident all the way to 0, but you can sure as heck reduce the amount of damage that can happen. No crash is better than minor accident which is better than injury which is better than death. All you can do is try your best to reduce the likelyhood of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Any action you can take to make yourself safer on the roads is one you should do.

    The driver in that video actually did a pretty good job of a very bad situation and came out better than alot of other people it seems. He did his best to brake, but when he realized he wasn't going to stop, he did something even better. He let go of the brake and steered around the trouble. There are two things I have learned from watching Canada's Worst Driver and they are to let go of the brake in a situation like that because you can't stop and steer at the same time and to look where you want to go. He did both, so he fortunately avoided rear ending anyone (unlike the guy next to him at the start) and he managed to not run into anyone else. While that likely would have only been a minor accident, you can still severely hurt someone if you slam into them in just the right way. That semi truck that was bowling through everyone could certainly have fucked someone up too pretty damn easily.

    Minimize your risk people!

    Now imagine if the guy in that video had been driving at an appropriate speed for the road conditions, instead of relying on 'defensive driving' and then blaming everyone else / the weather for his incredibly unsafe driving. He was going too fucking fast. How can you tell? Because he could not safely react in time when he saw the vehicles ahead.

    With Love and Courage
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Yeah, defensive driving is ultimately about minimizing risk to you, your vehicle and everyone else on the road. Unfortunately, you can't reduce your chance of an accident all the way to 0, but you can sure as heck reduce the amount of damage that can happen. No crash is better than minor accident which is better than injury which is better than death. All you can do is try your best to reduce the likelyhood of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Any action you can take to make yourself safer on the roads is one you should do.

    The driver in that video actually did a pretty good job of a very bad situation and came out better than alot of other people it seems. He did his best to brake, but when he realized he wasn't going to stop, he did something even better. He let go of the brake and steered around the trouble. There are two things I have learned from watching Canada's Worst Driver and they are to let go of the brake in a situation like that because you can't stop and steer at the same time and to look where you want to go. He did both, so he fortunately avoided rear ending anyone (unlike the guy next to him at the start) and he managed to not run into anyone else. While that likely would have only been a minor accident, you can still severely hurt someone if you slam into them in just the right way. That semi truck that was bowling through everyone could certainly have fucked someone up too pretty damn easily.

    Minimize your risk people!

    Now imagine if the guy in that video had been driving at an appropriate speed for the road conditions, instead of relying on 'defensive driving' and then blaming everyone else / the weather for his incredibly unsafe driving. He was going too fucking fast. How can you tell? Because he could not safely react in time when he saw the vehicles ahead.

    Really, no one should be driving on ice like that with view distances that low. If had been going slow enough to stop in time he probably would have gotten rear ended by someone else!

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    agoaj wrote: »
    I'm the student the instructors have to tell to speed up.

    They told me they wish the car had a passenger side accelerator.

    I failed my first driving test for driving too timidly.

    We were on a 35mph thoroughfare and approaching an intersection where I had right of way. I wasn't sure if the car approaching the intersection from the cross-street was going to stop in time, so I slowed way down. The instructor told me to accelerate and then said after the test that he couldn't pass me because I created an unsafe situation by slowing down too much on that thoroughfare.

    I managed to pass my road test despite bouncing over a curb making a simple right-hand turn 30 seconds into it.

    I maintain that the only reason the instructor didn't flunk me was that the girl taking the test in the vehicle directly in front of mine took that curb like an embankment in an SUV commercial. It was a pretty weird corner.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Yeah, defensive driving is ultimately about minimizing risk to you, your vehicle and everyone else on the road. Unfortunately, you can't reduce your chance of an accident all the way to 0, but you can sure as heck reduce the amount of damage that can happen. No crash is better than minor accident which is better than injury which is better than death. All you can do is try your best to reduce the likelyhood of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Any action you can take to make yourself safer on the roads is one you should do.

    The driver in that video actually did a pretty good job of a very bad situation and came out better than alot of other people it seems. He did his best to brake, but when he realized he wasn't going to stop, he did something even better. He let go of the brake and steered around the trouble. There are two things I have learned from watching Canada's Worst Driver and they are to let go of the brake in a situation like that because you can't stop and steer at the same time and to look where you want to go. He did both, so he fortunately avoided rear ending anyone (unlike the guy next to him at the start) and he managed to not run into anyone else. While that likely would have only been a minor accident, you can still severely hurt someone if you slam into them in just the right way. That semi truck that was bowling through everyone could certainly have fucked someone up too pretty damn easily.

    Minimize your risk people!

    Now imagine if the guy in that video had been driving at an appropriate speed for the road conditions, instead of relying on 'defensive driving' and then blaming everyone else / the weather for his incredibly unsafe driving. He was going too fucking fast. How can you tell? Because he could not safely react in time when he saw the vehicles ahead.

    Yeah, you are right. The more I thought about it on the way home, the more I realized that he definitely could have done one of two things to avoid that accident altogether:

    1. Not drive that day since road conditions were awful.
    2. If he had to drive, take a different road where you can drive an appropriate speed for the conditions.

    #1 is not usually a possible option for most people, but they tend to avoid doing #2 most of the time too. On days where the road conditions are poor, usually due to snow, but sometimes due to rain, I avoid the highways and stick to the city streets, even though this means my drive will take longer than I originally expected. Much better to be doing 50 km/h than 100 km/h when your stopping distance doubles or triples.

    I reverse my original position. That was an entirely avoidable accident in that last video.

  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    In his defense the video says conditions got that way after he started driving. But then I dont live in the snow so I have no idea how long it takes for shit to turn that way so.

    camo_sig2.png
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Yeah, it didn't get that bad in between exits on the highway. Although if things get bad very slowly, you might not realize how rough conditions actually are until something bad happens. But in general, if you can avoid driving on days like that, you should do it.

  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    In his defense the video says conditions got that way after he started driving. But then I dont live in the snow so I have no idea how long it takes for shit to turn that way so.

    In the mountains? 15 minutes due to a bad storm

  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    emp123 wrote: »
    In his defense the video says conditions got that way after he started driving. But then I dont live in the snow so I have no idea how long it takes for shit to turn that way so.
    That looks like maybe an inch of accumulation on the side, maybe 2. Given the weather he's seeing, I'd buy anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes. Having looked at the date and area, I'm vaguely recalling some folks claiming that things got bad very quickly, so if I absolutely had to bet I would go on the shorter end (and although I'd ask some questions about 5 minutes, I'd be willing to accept it eventually).

    Given where that storm ended up, not driving was almost certainly not an option, and side roads probably weren't either. Slowing down certainly was one though.

    One thing I'm not seeing mentioned is that a driving tired is awful for your ability to drive safely (and that, depending on the exact circumstances you have, driving faster so that you can prevent driving exhausted is the safer option).

    edit: just to be clear, since someone mentioned exits: At least around here, exits can be spaced far less frequently than every 10 miles. Every 25 miles is relatively common in parts of the state (amusingly, the parts with weather that gets awful fast). There's plenty of time for the visibility to go 30 feet on a road where people usually go 80, so you get to make all sorts of fun choices.

    Syrdon on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    In his defense the video says conditions got that way after he started driving. But then I dont live in the snow so I have no idea how long it takes for shit to turn that way so.

    Really it depends on what we are talking about. Snow can accumulate pretty quickly, but at least in Colorado it doesn't happen that often. Maybe once a year we will get a storm that dumps tons of snow very quickly. The other part that is variable is the visibility. He could have been driving in reasonable visibility before he got on the road and then, at least from the video, it looks like it went to shit. In a situation with low visibility like that I try and slow down but I don't just stop because that could cause others to rear end me. So you have to play this balancing game of not going too fast and not going so slow that some jackass rear ends you.

    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    In his defense the video says conditions got that way after he started driving. But then I dont live in the snow so I have no idea how long it takes for shit to turn that way so.

    Really it depends on what we are talking about. Snow can accumulate pretty quickly, but at least in Colorado it doesn't happen that often. Maybe once a year we will get a storm that dumps tons of snow very quickly. The other part that is variable is the visibility. He could have been driving in reasonable visibility before he got on the road and then, at least from the video, it looks like it went to shit. In a situation with low visibility like that I try and slow down but I don't just stop because that could cause others to rear end me. So you have to play this balancing game of not going too fast and not going so slow that some jackass rear ends you.

    One eye on the road in front, one eye on the road behind looking for any sudden changes while driving on instinct and feel.

    All things considered though, I'd prefer to slow down and be rear-ended instead of doing the rear-ending.

  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I have an icy road condition story! This is a humdinger, let me tell you. :P

    I was driving southbound on Deerfoot Trail in Calgary, the busiest road in the city. It was snowy out, but only a little, and conditions were okay. I wasn't having any trouble on the road, but we were all doing about 10 under the limit (100 kmh) because of the snow. I was in a small pack of about 10 or 20 cars. Three lane highway, I was far left lane, front car in that lane. A Rav4 in the rightmost lane lost control and went sideways, crossing the center lane and hitting the guard rail on the edge of the left lane, stopping dead right in front of me. I had no time to do more than start pressing the brakes.

    T-boned him at almost 90 kph.

    I bounced off his car and was hit by a pickup in the center lane and drifted to the right shoulder. My car was toast. The front was completely collapsed, the side where the pickup hit me trashed. I was completely unscathed. As far as I'm concerned, that Impreza saved my life.

    Interestingly enough, the guy in the Rav4 and the guy in the pickup were also completely unhurt. The Rav4 only had the driver occupying the vehicle and I hit right behind him. The pickup had a flat and once that was changed, was able to drive away (After giving his statement to the police, of course).

    My insurance gave me full value for the car back and I got another Impreza. :) The driver of the Rav4 looked young, so I bet his insurance had the lube all ready for him once the payouts were all done.

  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »
    In his defense the video says conditions got that way after he started driving. But then I dont live in the snow so I have no idea how long it takes for shit to turn that way so.

    In the mountains? 15 minutes due to a bad storm

    Yeah I remember driving through a freak snow storm a few years back in the mountains.

    In August

    PSN: AWATTT66| XBox Live: AWATTT66| Steam: AL-WAT| Battle.Net: ALWATTS #1320
    Origin: aiwatt| Switch: SW-8499-0918-5960
Sign In or Register to comment.