As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Politics: The North shall rise again?

19596979899101»

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    How is it that I have never heard of this before:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bikers-versus-hikers--b-c--s-war-of-the-woods-195024583.html

I mean, the pipe bomb is straight up terrorism. The rest of it reckless disregard. And the seniors group is defending the woman who was attempting to maim cyclists as 'defending herself'.

Basically, what the ever-loving fuck?

People on both sides of that really need to take a step back and reflect. From the terrorist-like actions of certain hikers to the harassment on the part of bikers.

It's kind of tempting to advocate for taking those trails away from everyone for a while. (Like, I understand the impossibility of this, but still).

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    How is it that I have never heard of this before:
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/bikers-versus-hikers--b-c--s-war-of-the-woods-195024583.html

I mean, the pipe bomb is straight up terrorism. The rest of it reckless disregard. And the seniors group is defending the woman who was attempting to maim cyclists as 'defending herself'.

Basically, what the ever-loving fuck?

People on both sides of that really need to take a step back and reflect. From the terrorist-like actions of certain hikers to the harassment on the part of bikers.

It's kind of tempting to advocate for taking those trails away from everyone for a while. (Like, I understand the impossibility of this, but still).

Who in the fuck thought mixed use trails was a good idea? Bikers coming down the mountain cannot stop on a dirt path fast enough if a hiker is on the trail around a blind corner or something.

I would think the easy fix would to have designated trails for bikers, and designated ones for hikers. Anyone caught setting any kind of booby traps should be charged with aggravated assault / attempted murder.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    yeah, but it's easy to imagine one group coveting the other's trail for whatever reason then attempting to claim it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So to sum up... Gunman roaming through Parliament, we shrug it off. Cyclists on shared nature trails, we bust out the guerilla warfare kits.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    Vancouver resident here. The trails aren't really mixed use, at least on the North Shore. Some of the mountain bike trails cut across hiking trails but these junctions are so infrequent that the idea of them posing a significant safety hazard is sort of absurd.

The traps are more a result of NIMBYism that anything. A lot of these trails and parks are right next to residential areas, and the residents tend to regard them as their personal property. They've also been known to roll small boulders into public parking spots to keep outsiders from being able to access the trails easily. When they raise concerns about safety, it's really just a cover for not wanting anyone else to use "their" park.

I have a twitter.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Ontario's provincial conservatives had their first 'pick a new leader' debate. Of course, Kathleen Wynne hasn't murdered a small child in broad daylight with the media in attendance, so what they said or did just...doesn't matter. At all.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Ontario's provincial conservatives had their first 'pick a new leader' debate. Of course, Kathleen Wynne hasn't murdered a small child in broad daylight with the media in attendance, so what they said or did just...doesn't matter. At all.

will no one shed a tear for the scores of large children murdered in the name of furthering the liberal agenda?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

I hadn't even realized Hudak had resigned.

sig.gif
  • Options

will no one shed a tear for the scores of large children murdered in the name of furthering the liberal agenda?

Liberal media, all covering up Wynn's child-murdering agenda. That's why we need FoxSun News to report on the real facts!

sig.gif
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yeah, Hudak resigned after losing the fall election when he finally realized that he's so unlikeable that he couldn't defeat the Libs even with their triple-boondoggle action.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    X-posting from the Charlie Hedbo thread:

Charlie Hebdo journalist urges western resolve to fight religious fundamentalists:
    In Quebec, Premier Philippe Couillard’s Liberals are drawing up measures to combat radicalization, while the opposition Parti Québécois is resurrecting its controversial charter of values modelled on measures in place in France to emphasize the secular nature of the state.

According to (Charlie Hedbo journalist Zineb) El-Rhazoui, the most elementary defence against the rise of fundamentalism is to hammer home the point that religion holds no sway with the state .

“Secularism as far as I know, is the only way to permit everyone to live in the same society, even if people are different,” said El-Rhazoui.

“Islam needs to submit to secularism and it also needs to get a sense of humour.”

The week-long Quebec tour is being organized by Djemila Benhabib, a prominent activist and former candidate for the PQ, and will include a stop in Quebec City as well as an appearance on the popular Radio-Canada television show Tout le monde en parle.

The concept of secularism has a long history in France. A muscular separation of church and state has led to such measures as a ban on the wearing of Muslim head scarves in schools.

In Quebec, PQ leadership candidate Bernard Drainville proposed legislation last year banning public sector employees, such as doctors, teachers and bureaucrats, from wearing any religious symbols at work. Though Quebecers rejected the proposition in last spring’s provincial election, Drainville is expected to reintroduce a version of his bill in the coming weeks. A poll last week showed 59 per cent of Quebecers were in favour of a secularism charter, with many saying they were influenced by the terror attacks in Paris.

I remain perplexed at the odd logic of Quebecers.

hippofant on
  • Options
    I think that the Hedbo journo is wrong, and the way to combat extremism is to help integrate and incorporate people into society, and not try to strip away their identity to forcefully assimilate them.

Seems like one of those "conservativism cannot fail, it can only be failed" type of things.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Tim Hortons confirms layoffs at headquarters, regional offices

Who saw this one coming?!

Conservatives ready with big hugs for Tim Hortons: Tim Harper:
    “Canada is open for business.’’ Finance Minister Joe Oliver crowed Tuesday.

Not him, I guess!

hippofant on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I blame them shrinking their sandwich sizes for this, myself.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I blame them shrinking their sandwich sizes for this, myself.

CTV says that BK's parent company has a history of aggressive franchise acquisitions followed by lowering quality and raising prices. So, you might be right.

sig.gif
  • Options
    We could never have guessed that this sort of thing would happen! I mean, who doesn't trust this face?

scarehome.jpg

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Compared to our PM, that face is less plastic.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Compared to our PM, that face is less plastic.

I especially like the life-like hair.

sig.gif
  • Options
    So we hit 100+ pages now, and I've been wanting to start a new thread, but cannot figure out a good title, or what should necessarily be included in the OP. So consider this a call to arms for someone to take up the banner, before I make something undeserving of our dear thread.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I might come up with something tomorrow.

It will have funny pictures of the leaders.

This is an open call for funny pictures of Justin Trudeau. The dude is just too photogenic

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    I might come up with something tomorrow.

It will have funny pictures of the leaders.

This is an open call for funny pictures of Justin Trudeau. The dude is just too photogenic

Justin-Trudeau.jpg

justin-trudeau-300px.jpg

Trudeau+&+Brazeau.jpg

o-JUSTIN-TRUDEAU-BABY-570.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Scrapping the Long-Form Census turned out to be just as bad as everyone said it would be. This obviously isn't a new development, but it's important to note that the damage is long-term.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Ahahahaaha!

http://themanatee.net/2015/01/28/service-canada-announces-mandatory-drug-tests-to-collect-ei-benefits/

The conservative friends I have do not seem to be paying attention in their mad rush to celebrate. I am loving it.

• Options
    Ahahahaaha!

http://themanatee.net/2015/01/28/service-canada-announces-mandatory-drug-tests-to-collect-ei-benefits/

The conservative friends I have do not seem to be paying attention in their mad rush to celebrate. I am loving it.
    Am I missing a funny bit?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Richy wrote: »
    Ahahahaaha!

Am I missing a funny bit?

It's satire. Read the last line of the article.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I nominate that the next thread title be:

[Canadian Politics]: DOOOOOOMED

Opening post is YT video of Morbo yelling DOOOOOOM

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    The Manatee is not a real news site. It's satire, and dry to the point of evaporation. The funny bit here is that Nova_C's conservative friends aren't noticing that this is not, in fact, real news.

EDIT: I quite like this article, actually: http://themanatee.net/2015/01/02/shocking-study-reveals-most-northern-nbers-not-actually-fluent-in-any-language/ This is quite like listening to my mother speak with her sisters. They're all fluent in English and French, and bounce between the two languages mid-sentence. It's enchanting to listen to.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    It's great because they're so happy.

I am holding off bursting the bubble because it's so great.

• Options
    Imperfect wrote: »
    The Manatee is not a real news site. It's satire, and dry to the point of evaporation. The funny bit here is that Nova_C's conservative friends aren't noticing that this is not, in fact, real news.

EDIT: I quite like this article, actually: http://themanatee.net/2015/01/02/shocking-study-reveals-most-northern-nbers-not-actually-fluent-in-any-language/ This is quite like listening to my mother speak with her sisters. They're all fluent in English and French, and bounce between the two languages mid-sentence. It's enchanting to listen to.

Eh... It's so in line with what I expect to hear from the Harper gov that I also didn't realize it was satire.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »

Eh... It's so in line with what I expect to hear from the Harper gov that I also didn't realize it was satire.

I'll admit, I was fooled by the article too and especially confused by the last line.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    My initial reaction was, "This can't be real." It's illegal for employers to require drug tests with a couple exceptions, so I would be truly shocked if the government ever started requiring it for benefits. There's been no discussion about this, either. It was completely out of the blue.

And then the last line clinched it as totally not real.

• Options
    there's also the disclaimer at the bottom
    DISCLAIMER:
    ALL content (including likenesses, quotes, figures, facts, etc.) hosted on this website and associated social media accounts are fictitious and satirical and should not be taken seriously.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    My initial reaction was, "This can't be real." It's illegal for employers to require drug tests with a couple exceptions, so I would be truly shocked if the government ever started requiring it for benefits.

Because the Harper government has been so good about respecting our laws so far, that this first and only transgression would be a shocker?

sig.gif
  • Options
    My initial reaction was, "This can't be real." It's illegal for employers to require drug tests with a couple exceptions, so I would be truly shocked if the government ever started requiring it for benefits.

Because the Harper government has been so good about respecting our laws so far, that this first and only transgression would be a shocker?

smiley-rolleyes008.gif

• Options
    Caedwyr wrote: »

That's weird, I just tried looking for it on the Play Store and couldn't find it. I guess they haven't ported it from IOS to Android yet.

j/k. Seriously though, some days I feel like I would really need that app.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Funniest picture I could find of my beloved leader:

Green-Party-Leader-Elizabeth-May.jpg

Oh, wait, here she is with a stoagie:

IMG_4493-660x439.jpg

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Scrapping the Long-Form Census turned out to be just as bad as everyone said it would be. This obviously isn't a new development, but it's important to note that the damage is long-term.

This just in: Conservative solution to save money creates new problems, costs more in long run.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Shadowen wrote: »

This just in: Conservative solution to save money creates new problems, costs more in long run.

There is no data to support this claim.

Also, @Shadowen, you're fired for talking without pre-approval.

hippofant on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular