As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Operation Group RAGE] Star Wars [Mini]series: [Phalla] Squadron - RAGE/MALICE Victory!

1383940414244»

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Full sharpshooter for me.

Power
    Same here.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Invictus wrote: »
    Oh, hey, @obifett are you interested in telling us how skills worked?

yeah

Initiative determined who shot first. Pretty straightforward.
    Sharpshooter and Awareness added a bonus laser/engine value to the total final laser/engine value equal to stat*10%.

So a 3 in sharpshooter added a 30% bonus to final total Laser value.

Calcuation of Attack Value:

LV/range + LV*SS/10 + Formation modifier*LV/Range + Flanking modifier*LV/Range = Attack Value

So other modifiers used your Laser Value/range when determining how much of an increase or decrease you got, while your stat bonus was based purely on your base Laser Value.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Full sharpshooter for me.

Power

Pretty sure this caused your being disabled against me, because I fired first.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    aha! I never posted it, but skill point = 10% increase was my guess when I was doing private calculations.

• Options
    Did people really have trouble reading Arba'Arba-Hei? The only 'new' words I introduced were blontharks, which were my squad, and the eyeball series. I kinda assumed people would know the eyeball slang.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    @ObiFett I'm still waiting for my force-immune badass to appear somewhere and kill someone :p

• Options
    @ObiFett I'm still waiting for my force-immune badass to appear somewhere and kill someone :p

I didn't want to risk him dying in a mini. He's too awesome for that.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

I didn't want to risk him dying in a mini. He's too awesome for that.

Oh I am not trying to put pressure on you. Just know that whenever he shows up in a narration, I will squee audibly wherever I am when I read it.

• Options
    Also, I THINK I've played in all of your phallas, and have loved every one. So keep up the good/fun times!

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    also @premium do you know how awesome I felt when I shrugged off a star destroyer hit?

really awesome

five points into defense, thank you very much.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    also @premium do you know how awesome I felt when I shrugged off a star destroyer hit?

really awesome

At the range I was shooting at I wasn't really surprised, since Star Destroyer lasers counted as strafing shots.
    I also tried to shoot down some missiles, but failed in that as well.

• Options
    premium wrote: »

really awesome

At the range I was shooting at I wasn't really surprised, since Star Destroyer lasers counted as strafing shots.

Oh, I didn't even think about range. I totally didn't appreciate that range would be a serious problem, and assumed things would be okay, SD-wise, with 40 points of attack.

• Options

really awesome

Yeah I felt like the worst admiral ever that night.
    "Sir, missiles inbound!"
    'Easy, men. We've got this. Divert lasers to the missile clusters and also the nearest enemy TIE squadron.'
    -Every shot misses-
    -Ship is crippled-
    -Shoot the Lieutenant so that word doesn't get out-
    -Ship explodes any-damn-way-

• Options

really awesome

Oh, I didn't even think about range. I totally didn't appreciate that range would be a serious problem, and assumed things would be okay, SD-wise, with 40 points of attack.

Do you remember how easy it was to dodge laser fire from a SD at long rage in the X-wing games?

It was easy even as a B-Wing.

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular

really awesome

Yeah I felt like the worst admiral ever that night.
    "Sir, missiles inbound!"
    'Easy, men. We've got this. Divert lasers to the missile clusters and also the nearest enemy TIE squadron.'
    -Every shot misses-
    -Ship is crippled-
    -Shoot the Lieutenant so that word doesn't get out-
    -Ship explodes any-damn-way-

This is exactly what I did too.
    One of the reasons I hate games with RNG on abilities is because I always assume I'll 'totally get lucky this time'.

• Options
    SDs were never supposed to be able to shoot 3 waves worth of Torpedoes at once. If they could, they would have been able to survive indefinitely.

Ideally, the bombers were supposed to get tied up by fighters. When developing it, I decided that if all three Bomber squadrons got of all of their torpedoes as full strength, the enemy SD should take some serious but not fatal damage. That's why you had the perfect amount of power to take out one wave guaranteed (40 power = 20 hits v 30 engine = 10 misses) and could gamble and split fire between two waves (20 power = 10 hits v 10 misses).

Instead you both split the fire three ways and took it straight in the chin.

• Options

really awesome

Do you remember how easy it was to dodge laser fire from a SD at long rage in the X-wing games?

It was easy even as a B-Wing.

On review, I do, in fact. That makes sense.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    One day, one day I'll survive an Obi Phalla, and it will be glorious.

Or maybe I should just stick to collaborative hosting working on Phallanoia...

I don't think I've lost an Obi-Phalla yet. I just always die...

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Anialos wrote: »
    Sorry about that jdark. Was based on who i find scariest on the other team. Sucks premium welshed on a bargain.
    I am both amused and sad.

@ObiFett Feedback! Lovely concept, I had fun.

Things you might consider:
    * Hidden votes are probably a bad thing (folk voting in their private channels). Even if their communication is restricted, they should still be made to vote out in the open.
    * Not having a baseline for the village to measure against might be a bad thing. We had no way of knowing that Typhus was lying about the "can't vote during private communication" thing, because we had nothing to compare it against.

I liked the hidden votes, althought I honestly didn't understand our win condition correctly until later in the game. But that's mostly because to me, it didn't make any sense from an RP perspective. I mean, can you imagine if Rage or Malice only had won their win condition, how the others would have reacted?

Rebel 2 to Rebel 1, all of our infiltrators in Malice have been killed. Should we proceed with killing the remaining Imperials from Rage and Malice?

Rebel 1 to Rebel 2, no, let's just drift through space aimlessly till we run out of oxygen.

The biggest mechanic that threw me off (and I never guessed correctly) was that the rebels could turn any adjacent ship's weapons live. That seriously clouded my ability to use the nested game to determine who the rebels were. Had Bliss not used his ability on himself, I'm not sure anyone would have ever guessed.

From the RP perspective it was simple.

The Sith would have shown up when one Operation Group was victorious and clean of rebels, having then proven they were strong enough and now loyal to lead the new Imperial Navy.

The other Operation Group would have been summarily executed for failure and weakness and as an easy way to kill the remaining rebels.

That's...That's brilliant. *slow clap*

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Are... Are you looking over my shoulder? I didn't think I'd mentioned that idea anywhere yet...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i'm glad I got two people into the main, hopefully at least one will survive

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Are... Are you looking over my shoulder? I didn't think I'd mentioned that idea anywhere yet...

...No, that's the idea I'M working on. :P