As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why worry? Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his [chat]

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I doubt philosophy is going to spin out many more useful sciences, now that science is its own thing.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    my pharm friend tells me that he's had multiple scripts by doctors that would actually kill people outright

A doctor once got really mad when I refused to wash out someone's infected wound with hydrogen peroxide

I guess that was a thing in the 70s?

whaaaaaat

That's wrong? I do that whenever I get a serious cut.

Dude, soap. Or alcohol.

Peroxide burns like a motherfucker because it's giving you chemical burns.

Im not going backwards to the time when medicine did not provide a visual cue that it's healing. It's a healing foam!

H2O24EVA

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Honk wrote: »
    I don't need to take medicine that is dangerous atm at least. But I try to keep an eye out and read up anyway.

I'm taking a sort of dangerous one, but as long as I avoid this ONE COMMON NUTRIENT I'm ok.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Bill Murray tried to destroy Lucy Liu's career, really? Boy I can't wait to hear this one!
    are you saying you don't believe it

god, he's good at this

Well, I will admit that I haven't seen Lucy Liu in film in a long, long time. Maybe someone did destroy her career.
    it was her all along

Was the man with the iron fists good?

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    I doubt philosophy is going to spin out many more useful sciences, now that science is its own thing.
    The fine science of bullshitting maybe?

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular

Physical sciences no, but some new future social science that we can't conceive of yet because it's not even relevant yet?

Very likely.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I don't need to take medicine that is dangerous atm at least. But I try to keep an eye out and read up anyway.

I'm taking a sort of dangerous one, but as long as I avoid this ONE COMMON NUTRIENT I'm ok.

I got some new pain pills a while back. In small text on the back:

"IF YOU DRINK ALCOHOL WITHIN TWO DAYS OF TAKING THESE YOU WILL STOP BREATHING AND DIE"

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    Bill Murray tried to destroy Lucy Liu's career, really? Boy I can't wait to hear this one!

god, he's good at this

Well, I will admit that I haven't seen Lucy Liu in film in a long, long time. Maybe someone did destroy her career.
    it was her all along

Is that a movie?

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Hydrogen peroxide is boss. The standard brown bottle you buy at the store is 3%.
    It's good for ear cleaning.
    People with dirty ears are worse than animals.
    WORSE THAN ANIMALS
    iFnv5.jpg

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    I dig this [chat] title.

• Options
    The fine science of bullshitting maybe?

Political science already exists.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Hydrogen peroxide is boss. The standard brown bottle you buy at the store is 3%.
    WORSE THAN ANIMALS

D:

D:D:D:

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Cinders wrote: »

god, he's good at this

it was her all along

Is that a movie?

It was made by the RZA.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    has anyone ever had an ent go in and clean out their ears

it is a transcendent experience, i highly recommend

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Lucy Liu is great. Haters be hatin'

I never saw her as being a remarkable actor. Easily replaced.

• Options
    Fuck whoever put incredibly loud unskippable movie shit at the launch to Dishonored.

• Options
    I was once in the hospital getting ketogan, 3.5x morphine strength opiate several times per day for several weeks.

And when I was released I was like "n..no more drugs :("

And then I really really craved more ketogan for a long while after that. I wish that someone would ask you when you leave how you are doing. Because giving that much of an addicting substance for so long can be addicting. Who knew?

It's water under the bridge now but that is my major complaint about how medicine is practiced so far.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    TL DR wrote: »
    kaleedity wrote: »
    my pharm friend tells me that he's had multiple scripts by doctors that would actually kill people outright

As a person working with doctors,

pharm people are the worst don't trust them. They're only like two steps above patients, who are the for-real worst.

(This is probably why I am not going to try to join a profession where I have to deal with people. I am not so good at it.)
    Having worked in pharmacy, I'm interested that the perception of incompetence goes both ways. I've known some really dickish and unpleasant pharmacists, but they are usually quite sharp.

I am actually not sure about pharmacists, since I very rarely talk to them. I'm more complaining about the people who end up answering the phone. It is not rare that someone will call saying "Diastat comes in 10 mg only" and we will tell them "No, it's a dial, you have to turn it down to 7.5" or otherwise tell them how to do their job. And then there's stuff like saying "That medicine doesn't exist/isn't out" instead of "we cannot currently get this for your patient," which is just.. weird?

I mean it's certainly not everyone, but yesterday I had to look up a generic name for a medication because the pharmacist, who had the brand name, couldn't find it. I typed it in and the first result was literally a press release from fda.gov about the drug.

Stuff like that gets to you sometimes. Again, it's definitely not like, everyone, but pharmacies can be huge headaches sometimes.

(I was being hyperbolic in my original post though. Most pharmacy people are fine, and patients aren't the for-real worst, insurance companies are.)

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    WORSE THAN ANIMALS

D:

D:D:D:

What, you don't put it in your ears any more either?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    WORSE THAN ANIMALS

Coincidentally, if your grandmother tells you to pour alcohol into your ear to "dry it out", do not listen to her. She is not a doctor and her medical knowledge is hearsay from the turn into the 20th century.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    What the fuck, hydrogen peroxide? Why did you have to turn bad without telling anyone?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I was once in the hospital getting ketogan, 3.5x morphine strength opiate several times per day for several weeks.

And then I really really craved more ketogan for a long while after that. I wish that someone would ask you when you leave how you are doing. Because giving that much of an addicting substance for so long can be addicting. Who knew?

It's water under the bridge now but that is my major complaint about how medicine is practiced so far.

What you don't remember is all the pain you weren't in.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

I've only had an ENT exam my T, by way of my N. It was less enjoyable.

• Options
    Fuck whoever put incredibly loud unskippable movie shit at the launch to Dishonored.

Unskippable movies are the future.

Less choice is more!

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Man With the Iron Fists was aggressively unremarkable. I couldn't believe how bland an RZA-made martial arts flick could be. The lines were boring, the acting was stilted, the fights were average. The sex was okay, but not a big part of the film and had that kind of "unbelievable fantasy of a 13 year old" quality.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

You can pretty easily edit them out by poking around in the config files. They have obvious names like legal.bak and unreal.bak and stuff like that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Evo Psych shows that the real sciences are more than capable of spinning out their own weird crazy useless social sciences without the aid of philosophy majors.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Physical sciences no, but some new future social science that we can't conceive of yet because it's not even relevant yet?

Very likely.

Possibly, but even then sociology and the social sciences exist as separate things now, too.

I mean sort of.

It's not very important, I guess.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    The doctors I've seen seem fairly disconnected from the nuts and bolts of actual medical science in the same way a car repair place is disconnected from complex engineering.

My boss is pretty cool and definitely not like this. But on the whole that seems like it's probably accurate.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Just don't use it on your ears too often. If you start doing it every other day your gonna fuck your ears up.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • Options

What you don't remember is all the pain you weren't in.

That part was good though.

I guess

• Options

Very likely.

Possibly, but even then sociology and the social sciences exist as separate things now, too.

I mean sort of.

Wait, Sociology isn't important?! :O :O :O

• Options
    Use olive oil on your ears.

srsly

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »

I want this so badly. There are youtube videos that are a borderline fetish of mine. I just KNOW there's a bunch of shit in there and I'm not falling for ear candles.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I love sociology. In hindsight, I wish I had majored in it instead of Japanese in college. No idea what I would have done with it though.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    the studies regarding H2O2 being ineffective to treat wounds at ~30% concentration were done in the mid-90s mostly from what I can tell. The bits on the low % concentration being ineffective are more recent. It's an antiseptic but it damages the body about as much.

Given a ridiculous situation, there's nothing wrong with using H2O2 in small doses to clean wounds, but I wouldn't plan on doing that in any case. It's really good for getting biological stuff off of objects, though.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

I think something new might come out of the intersections of neurology, philosophy, and computer science.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options

I got some new pain pills a while back. In small text on the back:

"IF YOU DRINK ALCOHOL WITHIN TWO DAYS OF TAKING THESE YOU WILL STOP BREATHING AND DIE"

"DO NOT EAT A BANANA OR YOUR HEART WILL STOP" is basically what this one should say.

• Options

Very likely.

I mean sort of.

Wait, Sociology isn't important?! :O :O :O

No, the hairs we're splitting.

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.