As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sam will kill him if he tries anything [Consenting Hobbits Again]

1323334353638»

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Gandalf isn't that powerful because Tolkein knew not to write him as a DXM.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Let's not be so gauche as to discuss power levels, Jesse

It's part of his character! He doesn't want to go in part because of it.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Alright, so I found the Hobbit marathon less tiring than the LotR marathon. That was a while ago and it seems like we're doing a LotR marathon sometime so I'll update that when I know more.

I definitely don't regret it.

Best film is the first. The second two suffer because of how they were filmed as one then edited into two.

The third film is like Transformers 4's third act. Except I enjoyed it.

As I was watching I was looking for stuff to cut, not plot lines. Just stuff like, 'did we really need to see 4 different shots in a row of Thorin chopping some goblin?' or 'does this shot being in slow motion do anything at all?' There's actually not much scenes or plots I would cut. Just some of the slowmo shots.

I watched the extended editions of 1 and 2 and the extensions were mostly good. 60%ish. The addition of Thrain (Thorin's dad) to Gandalf's investigation of Dol Guldor doesn't add much and weakens my favorite scene in the 2nd film (the eye within an eye).

These are well made films. They just do some really odd, weird or bad choices every so often.

---

I love how heavy handed Gandalf's speech in the second film is. About how the real heroes are those who live their everyday lives. He talks to the camera, he has a halo (sun behind his head), and I teared up. Also, laughed at it a little for being heavy handed. I kinda liked how preachy the films are.

---

The third film significantly deviates from the source material. Not in a plot sense but some crazy stuff happens. Big beasties, different tactics and stuff. It's not bad, it's just that the film is weird how it sticks so close to the book in some areas but significantly deviates in others.

I would have liked some colour and variety in the orc and dwarf armour. It was hard to tell who was fighting who in the big battles.

There was a lot of civilians getting killed. Like in LotR you would see the aftermath of an orc raid, but here we watch a town get incinerated, we see orcs pour into Dale knowing that most of the soldiers of men are on the plain. It's not wrong or bad to show this, but it's shocking.

The third film was pretty much a brawler video game. Fight mooks here, cinematic with quicktime events here, boss battle, mooks, move to next arena.

The dwarf elf romance was good (again, teared up a little). But I wish there was a interspecies romance in Middle Earth that isn't some lowly male and a high female. Aragorn-Arwen (man-elf), Beren-Luthien(man-elf), Thingol-Melian (elf-maia), Kili-Tauriel(dwarf-elf). Do a low female and high male, mix it up a bit!

---

There's a lot more I could say. I think I like the films. There's a lot of nice emotional moments in all three and I got teary at least twice a film.

Gvzbgul on
    Mortal Sky
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Yeah I finally saw this today and I felt, during most of the film, like you could cut a half hour or more and ultimately lose very little. In fact, it'd be better for it. There isn't much I'd cut from the first two films, but that's another talk.

- Some of the new monster and creature designs were super cool. Especially the catapult trolls, the wheel-worms, sharky-hooded trolls, and the peg-leg troll. However, a couple of the goofier designs would be infinitely better off simply replaced by a regular troll from LotR.

- Too much gat damn slow-mo. There wasn't even much the last two times around!

- Alfred is the worst addition to the entire film trilogy. Easily. All he does is serve to add jarring comedy. Which is awful.

- A lot of the stuff with the lake town folk and Bard could've simply been trimmed out. Not bad, just also not significant.

- Badass Galadriel was fantastic.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Just saw this yesterday. Best of the trilogy, but that sadly places it in the merely 'mediocre' range. I feel that my problem with the movie can be summed up by the scene where
    Beorn is dropped from an eagle, transforms into a bear and FUCKS SHIT UP!! HELL YEAH!!

....for five seconds. Then we cut back to the godawful Tauriel/Kili (Fili?) love story. And never see Beorn again.

God damn in, Jackson.

On the plus side, everything involving the elf king was fantastic, and his mount is the best. He stole every scene he was in.

Didgeridoo on
    Gvzbgul
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Just saw this yesterday. Best of the trilogy, but that sadly places it in the merely 'mediocre' range. I feel that my problem with the movie can be summed up by the scene where
    Beorn is dropped from an eagle, transforms into a bear and FUCKS SHIT UP!! HELL YEAH!!

....for five seconds. Then we cut back to the godawful Tauriel/Kili (Fili?) love story. And never see Beorn again.

God damn in, Jackson.

On the plus side, everything involving the elf king was fantastic, and his mount is the best. He stole every scene he was in.

Are you serious

I've sat through seven hours of Hobbit movie for that scene and that scene alone and you're telling me that's all I'm going to get

dN0T6ur.png
    knitdanDidgeridooBucketman
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Why would you think you'd get more

NeoTomaKwoaru
    He had a pretty important part to play in the battle in the book

He retrieved
    Thorin's body and also crushed the bad guy to death in a bear hug
    and everything

Jackson's been expanding on action scenes to preposterous degrees and the idea that he'd manage to leave out the one aspect of that that would get me to be happy to park my ass in a movie theater is baffling

Just

I took this screen name on AOL back in like 1995 at least partially because I loved Beorn so much as a kid

dN0T6ur.png
    GvzbgulTransporter
    Beorn isn't handsome

No screen time

Gvzbgul
    He's a twelve-foot-tall bear man who turns into an even bigger actual bear and crushes wargs with his mighty paws and smashes orcs into kindling

He doesn't have to be handsome

He's the coolest, most bad-ass character in the book (when you're an eight-year-old who likes bears)

dN0T6ur.png
    DidgeridooTransporterBucketman
    Wyborn wrote: »

yes he does, this is a movie

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    But it was pretty obvious that Beorn would get the short end of the stick when DoS screwed up his part of the story and made him a silly goofy looking CGI thing.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades

yes he does, this is a movie

Beorn being short-changed for screentime in a 10-hour adaptation of The Hobbit is the only proof needed that the throne of God stands empty

dN0T6ur.png
    GvzbgulMoth 13Invectivus
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I really wish we got story time with Gandalf and Beorn.

UsagiAistansarukunHermanoTransporterBucketman
    why is beorn's house too small for him why does he have to duck under his rafters

EvilCake
  • HuuHuu Registered User regular
    He's a twelve-foot-tall bear man who turns into an even bigger actual bear and crushes wargs with his mighty paws and smashes orcs into kindling

He's the coolest, most bad-ass character ever in any book ever written[/b]

FTFY.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    My biggest disappointment with the third film was Thorin's death scene. Because the book version where Thorin dies and then Fili and Killi die defending his corpse and then Beorn comes in and fucks the goblins up really impressed itself on me when I was young.

Gvzbgul on
    NaphtaliWybornBucketmanTransporter
    I haven't seen the scene but now I know and I don't even WANT to see it

dN0T6ur.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    The way they handled Thorin's death and what not made pretty good sense for what they had built up, and likewise Kili's, but that's mostly a consequences of alterations they chose to make way back AT&T the beginning. I have mixed feelings about it. I think they paid off on what they set up pretty well, but they gave up a lot of cool stuff for it. A lot of things were really afterthoughts in this movie, and that's really a shame. All the time they spent on Beorn in the first film really got no final payoff, and that's irritating. I feel like the LOTR trilogy did a much better job keeping track of all its pieces in the theatrical cuts, whereas this triology kind of gives you a glimpse of something and then is like "Fuck it, extended edition", and that rankles a bit. Like, PJ made this big deal about Gandalf's staff and then they spend no time on it at all in the theatrical cut.

I have similarly mixed feelings about the Dol Goldur scene. What we got was pretty fun, but I don't know that it really captured the spirit of what was supposed to have happened there. Nor did it really set up Saruman's betrayal all that well.

That said, I still liked it quite a bit. I just think Chris Tolkien's less of a nit picker this time around, this really was a huge action movie with some Hobbit-like trimmings here and there. There are kernels there, but they're kind of lost in the jumble.

miscellaneousinsanityASimPersonmasterofmetroid
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I feel like it's almost a given the extended edition will have one follow-up scene with Saruman
    Maybe reaching out with the palantir to try to locate Sauron and then getting in too deep

• AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    so i finally saw this the other day. entertaining for sure, but not really all that good imo

my biggest issue was probably the fight choreography/production, especially in the big battlefield scenes. it really felt like choreography, everyone just kind of seemed to dance around in place, and the hits didn't seem to have any weight to them. every time dain hit someone with his hammer, it felt like there should have been a 'doink' sound effect.

so many scenes were unintentionally hilarious, like legolas running along the falling stones, or every freakin' scene with that ridiculous moose. and then all the overwrought drama-filled cuts back and forth between close-ups of people staring into the camera.. it just seemed like the movie took itself so much more seriously than it's possible for any viewer to.

oh god, and elrond's cheesy-ass one-liner.. what was it, like, "you should have stayed dead"? really, you have hugo weaving and that's the script you give him? yeesh

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Those moments aren't unintentionally hilarious it's completely deliberate

That's like Peter Jackson's thing, that's what he does

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
    Chincymcchilla
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    or every freakin' scene with that ridiculous moose.

The Battle-Elk was the best part of the goddamn movie, you heathen

ChincymcchillasarukunTransporterturtleantLordSolarMachariusAnialosCimmeriiASimPersonUsagi
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    so i finally saw this the other day. entertaining for sure, but not really all that good imo

my biggest issue was probably the fight choreography/production, especially in the big battlefield scenes. it really felt like choreography, everyone just kind of seemed to dance around in place, and the hits didn't seem to have any weight to them. every time dain hit someone with his hammer, it felt like there should have been a 'doink' sound effect.

so many scenes were unintentionally hilarious, like legolas running along the falling stones, or every freakin' scene with that ridiculous moose. and then all the overwrought drama-filled cuts back and forth between close-ups of people staring into the camera.. it just seemed like the movie took itself so much more seriously than it's possible for any viewer to.

oh god, and elrond's cheesy-ass one-liner.. what was it, like, "you should have stayed dead"? really, you have hugo weaving and that's the script you give him? yeesh

You literally just listed the best parts of the movie

those are the good parts

you did it wrong

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    turtleant
    I hated snow board Legolas and I definitely said "are you fucking kidding me" when he ran up the blocks but damned if I didn't have a pretty big shit eating grin on my face.

Transporter
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I forgot this thread was here.

I finally got to see this last week. Ahem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJsRAcAhnNw

X22wmuF.jpg
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I hated snow board Legolas and I definitely said "are you fucking kidding me" when he ran up the blocks but damned if I didn't have a pretty big shit eating grin on my face.

The running gag of Legolas doing ridiculous shit always makes me happy. Although the best moment was the first.
    Dwarves and hobbits and Gandalf and Aragorn trudging through the snow. Legolas walking ON TOP OF IT

ToxmiscellaneousinsanityAnialos
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    But yeah, I loved it. Galadriel was a boss, that whole fight was great. I want Dain to be my best friend. The elf and dwarf armies teaming up was great, especially when the elves did their whole "surprise, we're jumping over these dudes heads" thing at the start of the battle.
    Kinda wish Azog's fake out death was his actual death.

Everything before the title card should have been at the end of the last movie though.

edit: and battle-elk and battle-piggy were great and their passing should be mourned.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
    sarukunKwoaru
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

The running gag of Legolas doing ridiculous shit always makes me happy. Although the best moment was the first.
    Dwarves and hobbits and Gandalf and Aragorn trudging through the snow. Legolas walking ON TOP OF IT

I'm pretty sure that was actually in the book, or something very, very similar. It got lampshaded with something like a "because you never asked" too, iirc.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    ASimPerson

That bit is actually in the book.

CimmeriiASimPersonturtleant