As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Child-rearing/gaming

HolyyakkerHolyyakker Registered User regular
I'm a gamer of the moderate variety. I play a lot of table top, some PC gaming and a little bit of console (my parents never got me a console so I didn't really get into the genre till I was a college grad so I've always leaned toward PC games.) I'm now married, 32, and have a 3 year old son. Lately he's been enjoying watching me and my wife playing simple Wii Games (like the game pack that came with the cow race, the fishing game, etc.)

I wanted to get some games for my son that we could both enjoy. Creative/exploration type games. It doesn't necessarily have to be "educational" but games where there is no pressure to "win" and he can have fun no matter what he does. An example that springs to mind would be Katamari without any timer in free play.

Any suggestions?

Systems available include Wii and PS3 and I lean slightly toward Wii because the controller might be a bit simpler for him to handle.

"Beware to March of Dimes" - MacBeth

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Will there's Kirby's Epic Yarn, which aside from being completely adorable and fun also doesn't really have a lose condition. You can't die, you just lose some beads and pick them up again. It does still have stuff to do and 3 may be a bit young.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah - looked at some videos of it and it is probably too much for him (we won't mention that I tend to suck at platformers too.) I was thinking perhaps more sandbox type. But that would definitely be a fun one for when he's older.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Unless there's something I'm forgetting about Kirby's Epic Yarn I wouldn't actually think that would be too much for him, considering I know lots of gamers (including myself) that remember starting to game around three years old. My first game was Super Mario Bros. 3, haha. To be fair, I don't think I got all that far, but I was able to beat at least the first level at that age. And you can't even die or have to restart the level in Epic Yarn... I would've gotten further with infinite lives. :P I was able to beat the first world or two in platformers by the time I was six. My friends had similar experiences. I guess it depends on what exactly you want him to be able to do in the game though, and obviously it's fine if you're just not interested in a platformer for him! I just wanted to let you know what other people were able to handle at that age.

Let's see... Elebits would almost fit your criteria if he can use the "grab with B button and pull with the remote" controls. It's basically about exploring a house and finding where the Elebits are hidden. It DOES have time limits, but it's still about exploration. Umm, let's see... Oh, the first Freddi Fish game was rereleased on the Wii! That's a wonderful edutainment game that I enjoyed when I was little. I don't know how far he'd get in it right now, but it shouldn't be possible to lose and exploring is most of the game (the rest is puzzle-solving). I would highly recommend any of those old Humongous Entertainment games (a good number of them have been rereleased for PC or iOS), at the very least for when he gets slightly older. Uhhh... I haven't actually played it, but I keep hearing that the Endless Ocean games are soothing, and they're all about exploration, so they would probably fit the bill depending on the controls.

I can't seem to think of anything else at the moment since you said Epic Yarn would be too much, but I'll let you know if I do come up with something!

• Options
    Hmmm maybe I'll pick up Epic Yarn and let him give it a whirl - nothing ventured nothing gained. And Elebits is another great idea, I had forgotten about that one. I think I may be swinging out to my local used game vendor sometime this weekend to see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestions!

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    LEGO ANYTHING! while mine ws 5 when she started on the lego games her friends younger sibling still loved them and had hreat fun running R2D2 off cliffs to hear him scream. (That kid is a little nuts)

• Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    Would you consider something like Super Mario Galaxy? The first controller would probably be too much of a challenge, but it has a 2-player co-op mode where player 2 helps pick up all the star bits and poink them at things. Your son might enjoy helping you out, and that wouldn't be too difficult.

• Options
    So yesterday my wife and I picked up Kirby's Epic Yarn and Lego Indian Jones. We got home and after my son had his name we broke them out to play. He seemed much more content to sit in mommy's lap while she played Kirby with daddy instead of playing himself - which is still fun. But you know you might have a problem when your three year old informs you that it's time to stop playing.

• Options
    benholiobenholio Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    When my son was three, I would just let him hold a controller and he thought he was playing. I don't think most three year old children have the fine motor skills to manipulate a controller. He really enjoyed sitting at the PC and playing games more geared for that age. Of course, you'll need to sit with him to show him what to do. Games that had activities like move the mouse all around to pop all the balloons. Then it would add clicking the mouse to do something else. Back then, there was a whole series called Jumpstart for Kids. He started with the preschool level games. Then moved up to Blues Clues and Freddy Fish and stuff like that. He's 16 now and I can't keep him off the PC or the 360.

benholio on
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, if you expand gaming to the PC there are a ton of really fun edutainment games I used to play as a kid that you have access to. And they do split them by age group which is nice. Preschool stuff is probably a bit less common than beginning reader stuff. Just try to google the company that makes them, because among the newer edutainment stuff there are some dumb companies out there that make shovelware edutainment, and that's no good. Anything by Humongous Entertainment (Freddi Fish, Putt-Putt, Pajama Sam, etc.) would be at the top of my list, as I mentioned! Jumpstart's stuff is also good, and goes all the way from preschool to adolescent. Once he's a bit older, he should have good fun with stuff from MECC if you can find it (Word Munchers, Troggle Trouble Math, Oregon Trail, etc.). Man, a lot of the good old companies have closed down, it sucks. :( Luckily Humongous's stuff is still being rereleased, at least.

• Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I know its a old. My dad isnt a gamer in the slightest. But one of my best memories from when I was very young was playing the first Zelda on the NES with him. Drawing out our own map as we went making notes on it and everything. Going through the dungeons together working out puzzels and finding secrets.

Prime on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you can get hold of an old NES, that is the best thing. The stories my friends' kids could make up about Mario at that age were pretty amazing, and he's been a Mario fan for years and years even with some access to newer stuff.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Mario Kart, Mario Party, or maybe Rayman Raving Rabbids for the Wii?

And another recommendation for the Putt Putt, Freddi Fish and Pajama Sam titles. They have puzzles, minigames, and a lot of little easter eggs, and are mostly free flow.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy