As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

English Expression: Epic

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
This is a very silly question, but I am curious about what the answer is:

A friend of mine who is studying English has seen the word "epic" get thrown around the internet lately. I told him that the way people use it online sounds like a substitute for "very cool" or "awesome".

"When should I use it?" he asked. I honestly have no idea as I've never lived in an English speaking country, nor do I hang out with a ton of English speakers.

My question is, do people actually say "epic" in conversations? What kind of age group uses this word?

Bonus Question: What is the meaning of "your mother wears combat boots"?

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    Its become a thing for people to use it for very mundane things, typically quite annoying people.

Ideally, unless you're referring to the time you actually slayed the terrible gorgon I wouldn't use it in everyday conversation.

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=epic

This offers a pretty good linguistic analysis.

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/epic

One of the definitions is "heroic; majestic; impressively great," which is probably the one that the internet has latched onto lately. I don't think I hear it out loud much at all (unless I'm watching old episodes of Top Gear on Netflix), but then--I'm 31 years old, so maybe it's a happening word among teens or twenty somethings.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also keep in mind that language changes over time through use. Words that originally had one meaning, can over time come to mean literally the opposite. And that's fine. That's how language works. Even the much reviled "irregardless" is now listed in Merriam-Webster as merely being nonstandard for regardless. Eventually it probably won't even be listed as nonstandard and will just be a variant of regardless.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    See, there's your problem. Merriam-Webster. :-)

Oxford doesn't return a result for irregardless.

• Options
    All that means is that Oxford is more conservative and slower to reflect modern usage.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

Unless you use it in the context of describing something like the Iliad, I... wouldn't really advice using it at all. Its original use would be to describe a really adventurous journey you made, or perhaps a grand and magnificent story you read or saw.

Dru's right, language changes and that's fine. But epic as a substitute for "cool" is generally used by teenagers or people who spend too much time on the internet, and combinations thereof. As such, there might be a bit of a stigma attached to it if you use it that casually among people who don't belong to those categories.

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Just remember that if you want to describe something as epic, you're always always being hyperbolic.

Like in the 90's when things were "awesome." But probably not always something that inspires and is worthy of awe.

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    He shouldn't unless he wants to associate himself with gaming nerdiness. It's pretty relegated to a certain subculture.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I feel like epic moved in and out of the vernacular as quick as calling everything "Sweet" did.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular

I've never heard that expression, but after some googling, people seem to be saying its an old insult implying that your mother followed the army/troops around, IE. a prostitute.

• Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    My 11 year old son says "epic" fairly frequently in response to fairly mundane things like successfully completing a level of Angry Birds. But I'm pretty certain this is a quickly passing fad. Especially judging by the way my 14 year old daughter rolls her eyes when her brother says it. There seem to be quite a few of these replacement words for "awesome" coming and going these days. Another one I've heard around is "Beast"

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    at this point it's just a synonym for 'cool' or 'neat,' particularly in videogame/nerd subcultures. In casual, real-life conversation I wouldn't use it in that way though, because people unfamiliar with the colloquialisms of nerd subculture are likely to misunderstand.
    I've never heard that expression, but after some googling, people seem to be saying its an old insult implying that your mother followed the army/troops around, IE. a prostitute.

the other implication is just that your mother is very masculine (i.e. wearing combat boots is something men do, cause men do masculine things like fight wars or work construction, so why is your mom wearing them?)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    at this point it's just a synonym for 'cool' or 'neat,' particularly in videogame/nerd subcultures. In casual, real-life conversation I wouldn't use it in that way though, because people unfamiliar with the colloquialisms of nerd subculture are likely to misunderstand.

the other implication is just that your mother is very masculine (i.e. wearing combat boots is something men do, cause men do masculine things like fight wars or work construction, so why is your mom wearing them?)

Yea, the prostitution was the original afaik but then it started spreading around to people who didn't really know that aspect of soldiering so it's usually more of a "your mom was probably a pretty bad mother" sort of thing

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    I feel like epic moved in and out of the vernacular as quick as calling everything "Sweet" did.

Or "choice"!

To contribute to the request, I wouldn't really use "epic" unless perhaps in the sarcastic context of "epic fail"

:so_raven:
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I think this adds to the discussion. Hyperbole at 1:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLoqhvZ1SZI

Hewn on
    Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    So people do say Epic in conversations. This is a sad thing.

• Options
    DrAndonutsDrAndonuts Registered User regular
    I don't think I've heard anyone over 20 say "epic" in a conversation. I see it as an annoying synonym for cool.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exBGz8jczfs
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Its become a thing for people to use it for very mundane things, typically quite annoying people.

Ideally, unless you're referring to the time you actually slayed the terrible gorgon I wouldn't use it in everyday conversation.

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Since no one else is answering it:

It's an archaic insult. Probably a reference to having a masculine mom.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yThfdrdFL8

• Options
    Thanks, guys and Thanatos!

Also, Centepide, hearing an adult talking like that killed a small part of me.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

It goes back a little further than that, when there was a widespread urban myth about women going arriving in the aftermath of a battle to rob corpses of clothing items (,,,and do, uh, 'other stuff'). It's a hyper-misogynistic phrase that's just lost it's edge over time.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »

Uh, there were already other posts about it

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    "Fantastic" was recorded in its trivial sense for the first time in 1938, "awesome" in its colloquial sense in 1961, but it only got in vogue after ca. 1980. Source: Online Etymology Dictionary.

Most things you could say about the use of "epic" you could also say about those other two. It's just a word which follows the same pattern which might stay or go. I bet "cool" also sounded ridiculous when it came into fashion in the 1940s.

Platy on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »

Yea, the prostitution was the original afaik but then it started spreading around to people who didn't really know that aspect of soldiering so it's usually more of a "your mom was probably a pretty bad mother" sort of thing

tangentially related I guess

the explanation I heard once (I dunno why this sticks in my mind) was that after the second world war many women left the workforce to return to home life, and the ones that stayed in their war-era jobs or similar (i.e. factories, textiles) did so because they were single, or in a low income family, or whatever other reason. And they'd wear boots, because they worked in a factory. So "your mom wears combat boots" became a way to imply that "your" mother was masculine/uncouth/low class/otherwise unfit to properly be a mother.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »

You're heller right.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    In my region, Epic has toned down from being used all the time to specific circumstances:

1) When someone does something contextually impressive.
    "That was an epic hit!" After someone hits a home run in baseball.
    This is the usage that spawned in popular culture and got considerably overused. I don't really hear it too often these days but it used to be fairly common in 2009-2010.

2) When referring to actual Epics such as Homer's works.
    "The Illiad is the most famous literary Epic."
    This is the actual definition usage. Rarely relevant, but always correct.

3) In relation to a purchase of something extremely high quality.
    "I purchased a truly epic sound system last weekend."
    This is the usage I still hear regularly, and I assume it comes from internet culture (specifically from games like WoW where Epic-Quality was considered top shelf). I hear this usage a couple times a month, usually from the same groups of coworkers and students.

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013

Hey! I use "epic" all the time, but then I am also sad and pretty annoying :)

A few people have said that "epic" is tied to gaming / nerd culture (or at least that is how I read what they said) and I would counter that it is becoming less so and has come into mainstream use. It is still very much associated with blatant hyperbole though, take this advert for example;
    If this is against some advertising rule I apologise in advance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJUR6Sv6ve0

Khade97 on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Druhim wrote: »
    All that means is that Oxford is more conservative and slower to reflect modern usage.

Just because something is modern doesn't mean it can be correct.

This is not a case where someone took a word and changed its meaning. This is not a "decimate" situation.. Irregardless is not a "trend" or a "language shift".

It is just flat out wrong. It is attaching a negative suffix to the word regardless and then assuming that it still means "regardless".

People who say irregardless are speaking wrong and no amount of whiny "but thiiiiings chaaaaange" will make them correct.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Dhalphir wrote: »

This is not a case where someone took a word and changed its meaning. This is not a "decimate" situation.. Irregardless is not a "trend" or a "language shift".

It is just flat out wrong. It is attaching a negative suffix to the word regardless and then assuming that it still means "regardless".

People who say irregardless are speaking wrong and no amount of whiny "but thiiiiings chaaaaange" will make them correct.

As much as I agree with you from a language purist point of view, you are making incorrect assumptions here on how language works. Most of our current wordset are bastardizations and incorrect uses from previous generations. While technically all of these were incorrect in their conception language is memetic and doesn't care about what is proper or correct according to a textbook definition, only what is utilitarian and works for the population speaking it.

Or: proper education can retard the speed that language evolves through forcing linguistic rules but never stop it. This is why modern English has remained comparatively static since mass education started becoming the norm in the 1800s, whereas speakers of the previous centuries rarely spoke similar languages/wordsets to their great-grandfathers.

Enc on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I've always heard "your mother wears combat boots" as "Yo mom's a cheap local whore"

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Language being fluid means it changes, wrong is subjective. Meanings change.

Cool doesn't mean a less hot object anymore, regardless of your wants and desires. Neither does sweet just mean an object that's got a certain type of taste. Sweet being a good word to show this multiplicity because it has 2 alternate meanings that came from uncommon origins.

Sweet as in the adverb for your type of persona, and sweet as in a very favorable thing.

To be angry because it's wrong means you don't understand language.

As for the OP, your friend should use whatever word he thinks best fits it. Epic is generally reserved for things that are more "awesome" in nature (yet another word that has shifted from it's grandiose origins).

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Sure thing boss. Saying it makes it true, right? Let's revisit this in 20 years and see who's right. ;-)

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    this is why 'jiggy' is now a word in the dictionary.

I don't think i've ever heard epic in spoken conversation really, but it seems like it is easily added to text, e.g
    "that last match was epic."

but as many people have said, its slang now for cool or awesome, but that is not necessarily what the word means.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Take it to D&D.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.