As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

75% of PAL PS2 games will work on PAL PS3's

13»

• Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    I think you're overemphasizing the texture issue. My main boggle with PS2 are its crappy resolution, and the resulting moire effect on certaint types of textures (like the bridge texture in SoTC). If I don't mind tiny textures in Quake 1 I sure don't mind then in PS2 games. Heck, are PS2 textures lower res than N64 ones? Because Conker looks damned purdy on an emulator.

The PS2 was the last console I bought in the previous generation. So that's probably why the textures stand out to me... I was spoiled by the larger texture memory capabilities of the Gamecube and XBox.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Tuoma wrote: »
    Someone else that misses Gradius V! Im not alone!
    I wanted to ask if anybody knows if it will be possible to play games from other regions then pal? Or are my dreams of being able to play ESPGaluda or Mushi unrealistic?

I missed Gradius V too, but it pales in comparison to the absence of Rez.
    And no, PS3 is region-locked for PS2 games.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Guys, this 73% BC is potentially very inflated. I mean, take Goldeneye: Rogue Agent for example.

SLES-52974 GOLDENEYE: ROGUE AGENT "Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues" - IOW, as bad as compatability can even be rated. It should probably read "Not Compatible at all."
    SLES-52975 GOLDENEYE: ROGUE AGENT "No known issues to date"
    SLES-52976 GOLDENEYE: ROGUE AGENT "Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues" - IOW, as bad as compatability can even be rated. It should probably read "Not Compatible at all."

As far as we know, the "total" counts would count Goldeneye Rogue Agent as compatible, when it would appear that only a small portion of the cutomers have a working copy.

Just pointing out the potential for number-spinning. It's not like I've done the math to see if this is going on.

CZroe on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Plus, goldeneye Rogue Agent never runs without noticeable issues. Not even on a PS2.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    CZroe wrote: »
    Guys, this 73% BC is potentially very inflated. I mean, take Goldeneye: Rogue Agent for example.

SLES-52974 GOLDENEYE: ROGUE AGENT "Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues" - IOW, as bad as compatability can even be rated. It should probably read "Not Compatible at all."
    SLES-52975 GOLDENEYE: ROGUE AGENT "No known issues to date"
    SLES-52976 GOLDENEYE: ROGUE AGENT "Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with noticeable issues" - IOW, as bad as compatability can even be rated. It should probably read "Not Compatible at all."

As far as we know, the "total" counts would count Goldeneye Rogue Agent as compatible, when it would appear that only a small portion of the cutomers have a working copy.

Just pointing out the potential for number-spinning. It's not like I've done the math to see if this is going on.

Each version of the same game is counted as seperate games, just like the PAL/NTSC-US/NTSC-JP versions of each game count as three seperate games.

Edit: Well from what I remember that's how it works anyway.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater has only one of four versions listed as compatible. I would expect the lowest-numbered of each of these games to be the "supported" one considering that it's the one that would sell to the prorders and pent-up sales demand, but that doesn't seem to ever be the case.

CZroe on
  • Options
    Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    iMatt wrote: »
    Guitar hero (1 & 2) are not compatible

i played guitar hero 2 on my ps3 just fine, but i don't have a guitar the hooks up to my ps3 :P, so i just use the ps2

Dinosaur_Neil on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    I think you're overemphasizing the texture issue. My main boggle with PS2 are its crappy resolution, and the resulting moire effect on certaint types of textures (like the bridge texture in SoTC). If I don't mind tiny textures in Quake 1 I sure don't mind then in PS2 games. Heck, are PS2 textures lower res than N64 ones? Because Conker looks damned purdy on an emulator.

Actually, the real reason for the moire pattern in PS2 games is that there wasn't enough memory to store mip-maps for textures (if you wanted to have a lot of textures), so they ended up having undersampling artifacts when they were reduced.

The reason that software-emulated games tend to look nicer is that modern graphics hardware can support anisotropic filtering for textures on the fly with no need for mip-maps. Also, the GCN and X-Box could do this which is why the moire was a bigger problem on the PS2.

The N64, of course, was the first home console to support mip-maps. Developers usually tried to make the most of the feature as a feather in their caps, which is why you don't see the effect so much.

I don't know if anybody's investigated it yet, but even at SD resolutions the PS2 games that don't use mip-maps would look better on the PS3 as long as they enabled anisotropic filtering in their emulator.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

i played guitar hero 2 on my ps3 just fine, but i don't have a guitar the hooks up to my ps3 :P, so i just use the ps2

There's at least one converter that works fine but it's not meant to be widely available as it's from a no-name company. It's called the PS2/PS3 USB Converter, here's a picture:

427255610_1343ccf7cd.jpg

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2007

There's at least one converter that works fine but it's not meant to be widely available as it's from a no-name company. It's called the PS2/PS3 USB Converter, here's a picture:

427255610_1343ccf7cd.jpg

Awesome! Can I get a little more information? Price? US availability? Does it really solve the issues that generic PS2 USB adapters have with Guitar Hero?

CZroe on