As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, January 14, 2013 - Demarcations

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    OscarGuyOscarGuy Registered User new member
    Cyberpunk is indeed a genre; however, there is a table-top RPG by the name, which if I understand correctly, is what the new game is based on.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    best PA comic

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I watched that show a couple times. It was really difficult to see all those dogs with their ribs sticking out and cats with their fur all falling out.
    They just wanted some love.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Interesting that Tycho is the one who does not think this issue is worth getting mad about, considering how much of a grammar-phobe and word-aholic he is.

• Options
    OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Interesting that Tycho is the one who does not think this issue is worth getting mad about, considering how much of a grammar-phobe and word-aholic he is.

But he has said in the past that he enjoys when folk manipulate the language.

On the other hand, Gabe is always zero to murdering babies about canon and lore and genre related "faux pas".

Birthday comic was very appropriate today :) I am satisfied.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I watched that show a couple times. It was really difficult to see all those dogs with their ribs sticking out and cats with their fur all falling out.
    They just wanted some love.

Yeah I had to stop watching that show because it just made me think two things: "How do I adopt all of these poor animals" and "How do I kill all of their original owners".

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Cable box reads "Pi O'Clock." Better keep your fork.

Tleilaxu on
    checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Oddfish wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

But he has said in the past that he enjoys when folk manipulate the language.

On the other hand, Gabe is always zero to murdering babies about canon and lore and genre related "faux pas".

Birthday comic was very appropriate today :) I am satisfied.

I'm assuming also characterTycho also knows of the background of the upcoming video game (what, with it being based off a tabletop RPG), ergo he ain't mad at all in regards to the name.

See: World of Warhammeronlinecraft.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Yeah I can't watch those animal cop shows because they make me want to adopt animals that I can't afford to adopt and then imagine ways to torture animal abusers in a manner befitting the way they abused the animals. I don't think I've ever seen a full episode because I just get too upset.

The comic is good, is what I'm saying.

• Options
    BolongoBolongo Dr. Registered User new member
    OscarGuy wrote: »
    Cyberpunk is indeed a genre; however, there is a table-top RPG by the name, which if I understand correctly, is what the new game is based on.

This.

Also, the full title is actually not just "Cyberpunk", it's "Cyberpunk 2077".

But it was a good joke, so I'll cut the guys some slack on the factual errors. ;)

• Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    RE: Dickerdoodle runner ups.

Girl with Avenger Dickerdoodles: Icing or.....

Also, arm-eating kid pic is adorable.

• Options
    bigattichousebigattichouse Registered User new member
    in the late 80's early 90's there was a great table-top RPG named "Cyberpunk", and it's associated combat system "friday night firefight". It was based on the gibson (et al.) genre ("type of thing"). Later, they advanced the system and created "Cyberpunk 2020", as a sufficiently "far off" future, integrating the combat system into the game itself along with some great enhancements. The game itself is eerily accurate in some respects to the current state of the world, but obviously a little far fetched on the tech. 2077 is probably just an adjustment to put it into a suitably close, yet far off, future.

No real "hitpoints" in the game, hits affected character traits.. so you go wounded and it affected your ability to do stuff. No real levels either, just the skill tree... and all based on d100 rolls and modifiers to those rolls. For example, unlike DnD and other RPGs, getting sniped in the head would just generally kill a player... no matter how experienced.

"Netrunning" was the internet, and effectively made a sub-RPG within the RPG that the netrunners would play while the main characters were on a mission. Frequently the netrunner was disabling security, grabbing intel, and causing distractions while the "wet" team did it's part. Unfortunately, they generally had to come along for the ride, as some networks were only accessible once beyond physical countermeasures... so they had to have some other useful skills as well to at least survive that far.

As you add cybertech to your character (like her apparent bulletproof skin, and eye augmentation), your player loses touch with their humanity... and eventually you end up with these tanks that have cyberpsychosis... that decide to just go on killing rampages. What government/corps left have squads of folks that get to try to put down, capture, whatever these psychos. These squads were kind of a major trope in some campaigns, and somewhat considered a suicide mission. The trailer appears to represent one of these psychos being rehabilitated and inducted into one of these squads.

As someone who played the game extensively with a group of 6 or so people, I look forward to seeing the game in FPS mode.

So Gabe, if you wish to lodge a complaint, set your wayback machine to 1988.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    d100 based, no HP (all damage affects traits), no levels.. all skill tree after class chosen. GREAT tabletop RPG.

Netrunning is basically a sub-RPG within the RPG to support players in some missions.

tl;dr: Pretty lady overly augmented, loses track of her humanity and goes on cyberpsycho rampage. Team gets floored until overly augmented fellow just about kills her. Girl is rehabilitated enough to join squad.

If you are upset - set your wayback machine to 1988 and complain all you want.

bigattichouse on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ahh.. lag. sorry. A bit scattered + lag == crazy over-posting. I'll be here in the corner.

bigattichouse on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    It's not lag dude, it's button mashing. If your post gets queued, be patient.

• Options
    SulacoSulaco Registered User regular
    I am stoked beyond all reason about this game. I'm an old school tabletop RPG player and CP2020 was one of my faves. My wife ran a truly stupendous campaign back when we were at university and it still resonates with me.

It's also good to know that there is something to stimulate my fawning fanboy anticipation gland after Aliens: Colonial Marines - the game that motivated me to buy a PS2 when it was first promised 12 years ago - releases next month.

Wolf3D.jpg
  • Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    Reminds me of this, which does in fact always ruin my fucking day.

cmTcF.jpg

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    What is that about?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    There's a commercial for the ASPCA that she does where she sings over images of abused pets. It's completely soul-wrenching and the channel that usually shows it, shows it five times an hour.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    oh, damn
    That is precisely my big huge soft spot. I just cannot bear to even know about those things. That´s how I have 3 cats now.
    I feel like the "I love cats" girl every time.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, I've got two that I took directly out of bad situations, the second one was so sad even Animal Cops has declined to show similar situations and instead just describe them. Those commercials are scientifically designed to make people like me rescue more and more pets until things go too far and I'm the one on Animal Cops watching while they pull bag after bag of pissed off cats out of my basement. You've got to be a bad person to watch those commercials in a good mood. I know people who can laugh at Fry's dog dying who still feel compelled to change the channel for them.

Hevach on
  • Options
    HOW CAN YOU KNOW PEOPLE WHO LAUGH ABOUT FRY'S DOG AND NOT PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE??
    (j/k)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Those abused animal commercials make me super sad and I either change the channel or focus on my computer monitor until they're over.

But then when one of those ones with the older guy and the starving African children come on, I'm just like "eh."

• Options
    OmegaDezOmegaDez CanadaRegistered User regular
    I also don't get why Gabe is offended at this considering those guys know their tabletop RPGs and Cyberpunk 2020 was quite a well known contender in the 90s. Or was it? It was the main game I played when I was into tabletop RPGs...

The nerds in my area were either into Cyberpunk 2020 or Shadowrun. (and there were some hipsters of the time who preferred GURPS Cyberpunk). Me, I never liked the idea of elves, orks and magicks floating around my perfect Gibson/Blade Runner inspired stories so it was Cyberpunk 2020 all the way.

I kinda feel sad that nobody around me seems to know that Cyberpunk 2077 comes from that good old pen and paper game. D20 truly ruined everything as far as I'm concerned. ;)

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    There was a 1 in 20 chance, and they lost.

• Options
    ubuntuubuntu Registered User regular
    That strip is so true
    I get intently glued and caught up when watching animal cops too

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    OmegaDez wrote: »
    I also don't get why Gabe is offended at this considering those guys know their tabletop RPGs and Cyberpunk 2020 was quite a well known contender in the 90s. Or was it? It was the main game I played when I was into tabletop RPGs...

The nerds in my area were either into Cyberpunk 2020 or Shadowrun. (and there were some hipsters of the time who preferred GURPS Cyberpunk). Me, I never liked the idea of elves, orks and magicks floating around my perfect Gibson/Blade Runner inspired stories so it was Cyberpunk 2020 all the way.

I kinda feel sad that nobody around me seems to know that Cyberpunk 2077 comes from that good old pen and paper game. D20 truly ruined everything as far as I'm concerned. ;)
    Who would win in a decker-fight, Rache Bartmoss or Fastjack? :D If no one around you knows what Cyberpunk 2020 was, you need to surround yourself with better (*cough* nerdier and/or older) people, dude. Of course, Shadowrun continues to grow into a vibrant and curated universe on an ever-growing timeline*. While Cyberpunk... turned into Cybergeneration (kids with nanotube mutant powers! Yay!) and was promptly forgotten.

I kid, of course. Both systems handled their respective wheelhouses very well. When I think of Cyberpunk, I don't think of Blade Runner or William Gibson first, I think of Cyberpunk 2020 and Shadowrun. I still play a biweekly Shadowrun game to this day, although I think One Roll Engine would make for a great Cyberpunk game.

* (probably to run away from the REAL timeline which is rapidly overtaking it... in the Shadowrun timeline, for example, the Cold War didn't end until much later, and we should have seen a dragon by now.)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Who would win in a decker-fight, Rache Bartmoss or Fastjack? :D
    Renny. :)