Options

Diablo 3:Economics- It's not rocket science.

19495969798100»

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Gems are already going in the .60s

Grump.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Gold is down to 34 cents already too.

edit: I actually see gems still at 74 cents. Not sure where Koopa is looking.

shadowane on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Considering that it's been a year, inflation isn't that bad. They can bring it back under control if the itemization patch does its job.

Actually, the inflation is very problematic. When Blizzard set a cap of 2 billion for items, it is logical to assume that they considered it a very high ceiling which would rarely, if ever, be reached. The fact that there are items significantly above this value reveals a large flaw in how much gold they thought would be produced and accumulated.

That said, there is virtually no way to bring gold inflation under control without harsher mandatory gold sinks (which hurts regular players), or banning the bots, which Blizzard seems disinclined to do. I think it is very likely that inflation will continue to get worse, and the remedies to it are not steps Blizzard is really willing to take.

• Options
    shadowane wrote: »

He's full of bad meat.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

He's full of bad meat.

Yeah, hallucinating. It seems to be jumping around a lot.

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    I don't think you need the full IK set, even if you're going for infinite Wrath. Not sure about the 2h WW build, but I imagine they all benefit with more attack speed, since more attacks = more cyclones = more ticks = more fury gain/spend = more wrath uptime. More loh ticks help too of course.

For upgrades, look for Witching Hour, Memp with crit and Stone of Jordan. You don't want to kill trash mobs too quickly and you want to kill elites as quick as possible, so a SoJ is perfect. Cold damage works too with WW if I recall.

Also, add me! Chen#2664

Great, thanks! I was actually thinking about whether I should switch from Skorn to two 1h weapons. The Mempo and Witching Hour are good calls, I'm wondering about the SoJ though...it looks like the only big benefit it would provide would be the added damage to elites. Is that really worth giving up the damage boosting stats I've got on either of my rings?

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    What ends up happening with inflation? Do items get super expensive or will they continue to get cheaper?

• Options
    Roz wrote: »
    Considering that it's been a year, inflation isn't that bad. They can bring it back under control if the itemization patch does its job.

Actually, the inflation is very problematic. When Blizzard set a cap of 2 billion for items, it is logical to assume that they considered it a very high ceiling which would rarely, if ever, be reached. The fact that there are items significantly above this value reveals a large flaw in how much gold they thought would be produced and accumulated.

That said, there is virtually no way to bring gold inflation under control without harsher mandatory gold sinks (which hurts regular players), or banning the bots, which Blizzard seems disinclined to do. I think it is very likely that inflation will continue to get worse, and the remedies to it are not steps Blizzard is really willing to take.

I would not be surprised if we saw another ban wave within the next week. Change the gold floor, release new content, monitor activity, then hit the bots.

They need to increase the gold ceiling above 2 billion. They also need to stop being ____ and allow for sales greater than $250 on the RMAH. When third party sites can allow items to sell for $1,000+, etc.

• Options
    What ends up happening with inflation? Do items get super expensive or will they continue to get cheaper?

Expensive.

• Options

Expensive.
    That's what I thought and that totally sucks. I guess it means you can sell things for more to billionaires, but it means getting starting gear will be annoying. Also means things that aren't legendaries won't sell for shit.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    NWK wrote: »
    Hey all,

I was wondering if any gear-gurus could give me some feedback on my Barb. Profile is here. I've been flipping gems on the EU market and using some of the funds to keep flipping but also setting some aside for gearing myself up. Using these ill-gotten gains I've splurged on some stuff like the Skorn and the gems.

I've basically been upgrading my gear on a piece-by-piece basis, as opposed to looking to get total values across all my gear. From what I've seen, most of the stuff that would be an upgrade for me in any given slot would be pretty damn expensive, but I'm hoping I've overlooked something.

Right now I can farm pretty comfortably on MP5/6 but I'd like to take that up if I can. Is there an obvious weak link in my gear? How should I be looking to upgrade my stuff in future?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

Run Rend/Blood Lust and you'll likely be doing MP10 with your current gear.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    So are items now 4X rarer but they give better stats? I don't think they did that yet I'm finding quite a few rares. Damn, hope they add that in soon. A lot of super fast farmers doing MP10 at a good speed don't pick up a lot of types of rares because they're not worth the time to look at. Identify all takes action against this though so that's nice.

I just did act 1. I did weeping hollows first, then fields of misery, and then halls of agony 2 up to butcher. I think from now on I will not go all the way to butcher as the Cursed Hold just doesn't give much. I'm gonna go try act 2 and see what zones are best.

Please everyone voice your opinion on what are the best zones, I still don't know all the best act 1/2 zones.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    So does identify all take one second, or does it take seconds equal to the number of items you have to ID?

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options

Both!

Rampant Item and Gold inflation means that the average level of gear on everyone steadily increases, and the gear floor becomes cheaper and cheaper to obtain.

Meanwhile, truly rare items that are in the 99th percentile of gear will continue to explode in value and become relatively unobtainable through in game currency. We are already seeing this problem with items that are far above the AH cap. This creates two problems: 1) we have to resort to another currency, i.e. the dollar, to obtain high end gear, or 2) use gold trading methods other than the AH. The second solution only exacerbates the gold inflation problem even further, as the AH doesn't take its 15% cut of the transfer.

Should this trend continue it will erode the AH's utility as the place to trade in high end items.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Is there a delay on listing items in the AH, and if so how long?

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Expensive.
    That's what I thought and that totally sucks. I guess it means you can sell things for more to billionaires, but it means getting starting gear will be annoying. Also means things that aren't legendaries won't sell for shit.

I don't think this is true. The inflation trend in Diablo 3 so far has been that the very tippy top 99 percentile items are constantly getting more valuable, and they will continue to do so.

However the 95th percentile items, which are still good gear but not "the best", have tanked in price and anyone can buy big name legendary or set items for very affordable prices.

Although yes, selling non top-tier gear has been very hard for a long time.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    mccartmccart Registered User regular
    In terms of monster density, the Fields of Misery, Weeping Hollow, and the Halls of Agony seem really good in Act 1. The highlands are pretty bad. I used festering woods to get NV stacks like I would for key runs, not sure if there is a better place to get that done. It seems like they didn't touch the density in any of the side-dungeons which is a shame, although it could be that I just had bad luck on spawns in the ones I peeked into.

• Options

I would not be surprised if we saw another ban wave within the next week. Change the gold floor, release new content, monitor activity, then hit the bots.

They need to increase the gold ceiling above 2 billion. They also need to stop being ____ and allow for sales greater than $250 on the RMAH. When third party sites can allow items to sell for $1,000+, etc.

Both of these are good solutions, but they are temporary. The 250 ceiling we've discussed before and it was never really decided if that was an arbitrary cap or if there were legal repercussions. It's possible the $250 ceiling is here to stay. The gold ceiling is absolutely arbitrary and needs to be changed, pronto. But neither of those solutions really addresses the heart of the matter - that gold inflation is rising despite reaching what should be physical limits on what can be produced. That is perhaps the most troubling aspect. I wish we had some some raw data on total gold values in the system to see the trend over time.

It would seem that the bot problem has only become more entrenched over the last 9 months, I am not sure if Blizzard is willing or able to get aggressive on policing them.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
  • Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    I'll do it!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Should this trend continue it will erode the AH's utility as the place to trade in high end items.

It should be noted that these transactions are a very very very very very very very small minority of trades. The vast majority of players are not inconvenienced by this.

They still ought to make some changes, but I can understand why they would not think it a top priority.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    NWK wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    I don't think you need the full IK set, even if you're going for infinite Wrath. Not sure about the 2h WW build, but I imagine they all benefit with more attack speed, since more attacks = more cyclones = more ticks = more fury gain/spend = more wrath uptime. More loh ticks help too of course.

For upgrades, look for Witching Hour, Memp with crit and Stone of Jordan. You don't want to kill trash mobs too quickly and you want to kill elites as quick as possible, so a SoJ is perfect. Cold damage works too with WW if I recall.

Also, add me! Chen#2664

Great, thanks! I was actually thinking about whether I should switch from Skorn to two 1h weapons. The Mempo and Witching Hour are good calls, I'm wondering about the SoJ though...it looks like the only big benefit it would provide would be the added damage to elites. Is that really worth giving up the damage boosting stats I've got on either of my rings?

The elite damage SoJ provides doesn't show up on the sheet. Basically, to have Wrath up infinitely, you want targets. The more targets, the more fury you gain from Battle Rage and the more fury you can spend. With SoJ, you basically deal less damage to white mobs while increasing your damage to elite mobs. This means that white mobs will stay alive longer so that you can gain more fury. 30% more damage to elites is a huge deal. The things you're missing out on with SoJ is cc (which can be compensated partly with %cc to WW) and attack speed, but that can be compensated with your other gear. The other option is a Hellfire Ring to gain paragon levels faster.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Who wants to make the new thread?
    new thread? the world is ending!

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    So does identify all take one second, or does it take seconds equal to the number of items you have to ID?

It seems to take 3 seconds regardless of how many you ID. Or mine was just working out like that...