Options

Diablo 3:Economics- It's not rocket science.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I really start to notice legendary drops above 400 mf. Before I had about 300 and I'd get one, maybe two, in two alkaizer runs. Now I get multiple in a run with set legendaries dropping more frequently. I suspect there's a sweet spot, but more mf can't hurt now that the cap is gone.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I don't think the cap is gone. It just doesn't affect the shrine and a few more things now.

• Options
    the idea is that they're going to eventually remove MF as a stat

by introducing MF on paragon levels, it will naturally be phased out of people's gear anyway, making it less of a deal for them to remove it as a stat on gear

Welcome to eight months ago.

shadowane wrote: »
    I don't think the cap is gone. It just doesn't affect the shrine and a few more things now.
    The Magic Find and Gold Find bonuses can exceed their respective 300% caps.

I think this means what I think it means. The one about shrines has a seperate note.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Chen wrote: »

by introducing MF on paragon levels, it will naturally be phased out of people's gear anyway, making it less of a deal for them to remove it as a stat on gear

The Magic Find and Gold Find bonuses can exceed their respective 300% caps.

I think this means what I think it means. The one about shrines has a seperate note.
    That last note is related to the extra 30% you get from joining a multiplayer game. There is a still a personal, gear + paragon level, limit of 300% as far as I can tell. Maybe we're misunderstanding each other.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular

what is even

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    GOLD FLOOR INCREASE NOOOOOOO

• Options
    That's poor phrasing on their part. 'Bonuses' are received from gear too.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The stack size for gold sales on the auction house has been increased from 1 million to 10 million

• Options
    That's poor phrasing on their part. 'Bonuses' are received from gear too.
    No it's not. If you look at the actual release notes with actual formatting, that is a subpoint under the multiplayer bonus section. It's not its own line.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    well that's unfortunate

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    StingeStinge Registered User regular
    From what I understand, the cap is still in place, but can be exceeded by the following:

NV stacks(up to 75%)
    Fortune Shrine(this patch) 25%
    4 player game(this patch) 30%
    Monster power(25% per level, up to 250%)

So, assuming a 4 player game where you're soft capped(either via paragon levels or MF on gear), have 5 stacks of NV, on MP10, you could have 655 MF(I didn't include fortune shrine).

So cap isn't really gone, it's just easy to get around with this patch. I expect typical farming runs to have most people running around with closer to 400-500, depending on their Plvl.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    THIS IS THE WORST DAY EVER

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    GOLD FLOOR INCREASE NOOOOOOO

Grump.

All the grunp.

• Options
    I don't understand, what changed? Are you saying it's .25 cents for 10 million gold instead of 1 million now?

• Options
    I don't understand, what changed? Are you saying it's .25 cents for 10 million gold instead of 1 million now?

GRUMP!!

• Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Well according to my calculations 10 million gold should be around 38 cents, but we'll see. I am so excited for this patch I will have so much fun farming act1/2. Anyone know the popular zones to farm for act 1/2? Please share.

• Options
    I mean I'm not too bothered, since it won't affect item flipping

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options

Correct, basically gold sold for artificially high prices because of the .25 per million minimum and these nerds have been abusing it for months.

• Options
    I mean I'm not too bothered, since it won't affect item flipping

Or it will.

When they increased the gold floor the first time it impacted sale prices.

• Options
    Zek wrote: »

Correct, basically gold sold for artificially high prices because of the .25 per million minimum and these nerds have been abusing it for months.
    I just assumed that meant the least amount you could sell at once was 10 million so minimum $2.50. But that interpretation makes more sense I guess.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    One thing that is worrying me that I said earlier is that 2 billion gold is getting pretty cheap. I just said I estimate 10mil gold to be 38 cents but it might be less. Gem selling not only involves transaction fees but it takes time. When this patch goes live I wouldn't be surprised if gold hits 25-30 cents per 10mil because the friction of buying/selling gold is reduced significantly.

Also this is a little early as gems are 75-80 cents but one day they may be worth less than 25 cents which would be funny to me LOL.

Diablo 3's economy makes me laugh and sad it's so messed up, constant hyper inflation. Diablo 3 gold is like god damn Zimbabwe dollars.

sumwar on
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »

"Abusing"? How dare you, sir!

Those of us with keen observation powers have utilized our economic knowledge to selectively enhance our opportunities for profit. We achieved this by providing lesser players, whose attention is focused on gameplay rather than the AH system, with opportunities to purchase gems, gold, and items at what, to them, seemed reasonable prices.

• Options
    sumwar wrote: »
    Diablo 3 gold is like god damn Zimbabwe dollars.

Oh, and now we're slandering the good people of Zimbabwe?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh what the fuck I didn't even read that note. NOOOOOO

• Options
    Considering that it's been a year, inflation isn't that bad. They can bring it back under control if the itemization patch does its job.

• Options
    No inflation hasn't been that bad. I swear I remember in the beginning 100K gold sold for more than 25 cents but anyway, at first it was 2.5 per million now it's going to be around .025-.03 cents per million. 10,000% inflation isn't that bad for a year right guys? Maybe you're joking and my sarcasm meter is broken.

• Options
    Immediately after launch doesn't count, no one was farming Inferno then. Some amount of inflation is expected as people farm faster and faster, but it really hasn't been escalating that quickly.

• Options
    NWKNWK Registered User regular
    Hey all,

I was wondering if any gear-gurus could give me some feedback on my Barb. Profile is here. I've been flipping gems on the EU market and using some of the funds to keep flipping but also setting some aside for gearing myself up. Using these ill-gotten gains I've splurged on some stuff like the Skorn and the gems.

I've basically been upgrading my gear on a piece-by-piece basis, as opposed to looking to get total values across all my gear. From what I've seen, most of the stuff that would be an upgrade for me in any given slot would be pretty damn expensive, but I'm hoping I've overlooked something.

Right now I can farm pretty comfortably on MP5/6 but I'd like to take that up if I can. Is there an obvious weak link in my gear? How should I be looking to upgrade my stuff in future?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

Steam GW2: Silas.5762
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    Looks like the servers are back up according to the status page...

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    sumwar wrote: »
    No inflation hasn't been that bad. I swear I remember in the beginning 100K gold sold for more than 25 cents but anyway, at first it was 2.5 per million now it's going to be around .025-.03 cents per million. 10,000% inflation isn't that bad for a year right guys? Maybe you're joking and my sarcasm meter is broken.

Originally it was $.25 for 100k. That changed in 1.0.4 back in August.

Reading through some forum threads from that time, there were plenty of reactions talking about inflation and this being the death of the RMAH, or gold sales, or whatever. The market adjusted, as it does.

The biggest difference is the amount of in-game farm time required to reach that minimum stack size. If it takes X minutes to acquire 100K in gold, it takes 10X to acquire 1M, and takes 100X to acquire 10M. As Blizzard increases the gold floor, they decrease the $/hour of regular in-game farming.

When players can buy 10M gold for a quarter, it significantly decreases the incentive to farm for hours to acquire 10M gold. That seems like a bad thing.

Edit: Oh, if only these folks on gamefaqs knew what was on store for them...

_J_ on
  • Options
    I don't think you need the full IK set, even if you're going for infinite Wrath. Not sure about the 2h WW build, but I imagine they all benefit with more attack speed, since more attacks = more cyclones = more ticks = more fury gain/spend = more wrath uptime. More loh ticks help too of course.

For upgrades, look for Witching Hour, Memp with crit and Stone of Jordan. You don't want to kill trash mobs too quickly and you want to kill elites as quick as possible, so a SoJ is perfect. Cold damage works too with WW if I recall.

Also, add me! Chen#2664

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So, yep, servers up and gold is about 38 cents for 10 million making it about equivalent to gems at the moment.

edit: Actually makes it slightly better since you don't lose the 15% flipping the gems back to the gold AH. I'm guessing gems will come down to around 25 cents a gem though making them a better deal again, just not so much better.

shadowane on
  • Options
    So, yep, servers up and gold is about 38 cents for 10 million making it about equivalent to gems at the moment.

And so begins the race to the bottom.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I have personal good/bad news.

The bad news is that I had some bad lunch meat for lunch and I've been vomiting for the past 10 minutes.

The good news is I got sent home with my work, so I can participate in the new RMAH3 patch while getting paid for coding stuff up for work.

...but I feel like poo.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options

edit: Actually makes it slightly better since you don't lose the 15% flipping the gems back to the gold AH. I'm guessing gems will come down to around 25 cents a gem though making them a better deal again, just not so much better.

If they were $.25 per gem that would mean they were 10M, and right now they are hovering around 20M. Why would their price drop in half?

• Options
    I have personal good/bad news.

The bad news is that I had some bad lunch meat for lunch and I've been vomiting for the past 10 minutes.

The good news is I got sent home with my work, so I can participate in the new RMAH3 patch while getting paid for coding stuff up for work.

...but I feel like poo.

Placing wagers on whether he ate the meat intentionally so he could play dablo?

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Welp, I'm glad I sold a 50 million stack on sunday afternoon.

I'm up like 20 dollars and I have 150 million gold or so more than I had before this whole gem flipping scheme, so I can't say I'm that upset.

I think we all knew this couldn't continue forever.

• Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    So after one playthrough in a pubbie game, the group icon at the bottom to me is a waste since I don't really care that I get extra MF and whatnot when I already realize that...

Identify All is fucking AMAZING

And to me the best part of the whole thing is the new chat text that pops up when somebody engages an elite or champ or whatever and tells you exactly what or whom it is they've engaged... including those f'n goblin pricks

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    HooverFan wrote: »
    And to me the best part of the whole thing is the new chat text that pops up when somebody engages an elite or champ or whatever and tells you exactly what or whom it is they've engaged... including those f'n goblin pricks

This seems like an initially welcomed changed that will become annoying in a week.

• Options
    Gems are already going in the .60s