As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adventure [chat]

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I hope they improve on some of heavy rain's weak areas

Their tech demo thing with that android is good, and creepy

The tech demo was nothing to do with the new IP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jqIUQdxiZo

Here's a gameplay trailer. The main character is voiced and motion captured by Ellen Page!

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Quantic Dream's new game is a day 0 purchase for me

then I will borrow my friend's PS3

then I will be immersed in an amazing, cinematic story

and it will be the best

and stare at Ellen Page's huge forehead right?

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    No but seriously Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy for you yanks) had a sex minigame where you thrust by pressing the mount button and moving the mouse forward.

also Heavy Rain had a romance subplot that I quite liked.
    ending spoiler!
    I liked it too and then who find out who the killer is and it ruins the whole thing because HOLY FUCK that guy just used the kid he killed to get some

I heard that originally, heavy rain would randomly pick one of the playable characters to be the origami killer each time you started a new game, with hints about who it was changing

probably not feasible but that woulda been neat

That woulda been lame. I had literally no idea who the killer was till the reveal, knowing how narrow a scope there is would have ruined the game for me.

Also it probably would have been terribly done.

Well presumably they couldn't do it right, which is why they abandoned it. If they could do it right it would be cool, but you'd have to remake large sections of the game - it's not feasible, like on the cooking shows you're always better off making one good dish than putting 4 different dishes on one plate.

I was disappointed with the writing and VO in much of the game as it is, but it was an admirable attempt and I'll immediately but their next game just to support not doing the exact same thing as every other game studio

override367 on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    the cats are amazed that i am alive

they are sniffing me intently

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    y'all are forgetting the twi'lek slave girl that gets eaten by the rancor

we're talking about women

not hos

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    y'all are forgetting the twi'lek slave girl that gets eaten by the rancor

DAMNATION. and there's also tits Magee and tubee lips

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

They were planning to eat you.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I don't hate or resent TOR; I had a good time with it for something like six weeks. I do think it's a bit of a shame that a really high-profile, really big-budget MMO (possibly the last new really high-profile, really big-budget MMO for a long, long time to come) decided to only innovate in one way instead of trying to inject new life into the whole tired MMO thing, but oh well.

That I can definitely agree with. I guess they thought the IP alone would be enough to carry it. It's funny too because I'm actively enjoying GW2 just as much as I did TOR and it doesn't have that bonus SW nostalgia fuel. Its just a refreshing change to a lot of the old MMO tropes.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The best part about hosting chat is collecting notifications.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

They're disappointed they didn't get to eat your eyeballs.

My cats feel the same way when I sleep a long time.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    We clearly need to talk about happier things in this thread.

So guys how 'bout that Dead Island collector's edition bloodied woman's torso that has severed arms and head?

*googling*

Now Henroid I'm sure it's not that ba

What in the ever-loving fuck

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'm sure at least three people saw this sign while it was being made. Not one of them thought:

The quotation marks here are needless
    or
    These quotation marks are typographic but both are in the same orientation

Or if they did have that thought, none had the will to actually do anything about it.

warning600.jpg

And so the sticker was designed, professionally printed, and plastered inside a hundred public transport vehicles and our world became just a tiny bit of an uglier, dumber, worse place.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I just think limiting the decision to one planet begs for a PR backlash.

The paywall? Whatever. Every game has a paywall, it's called fucking buying the thing.

But if you introduce something like this into the game, make it universal. Hell, even make discriminatory planets that play into the narrative in some way.

Just don't put it one one, distant planet.

So you wanted a full blown gay expansion, in which they introduced romantic subplots on multiple worlds, added new NPCs, modified earlier quest lines,etc etc?

I mean, they could do that... But that seems more like the domain of a massive expansion pack as opposed to just a new content addition like this one was.

Who's to say they are done making same-sex relationship options now? Should they NOT have released the ability to get gay lovin' in-game until they had enough content cooked up to spread it across the galaxy? Content that people are mad they have to pay for already, so how much more would all that extra development time / voice acting / bug testing cost?

This is the biggest of non-issues, especially since Bioware has always at least tried to do the right thing in this area, and LucasArts is backing off their previous stance. This is a positive news story, damnit.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

So guys how 'bout that Dead Island collector's edition bloodied woman's torso that has severed arms and head?

*googling*

Welcome to the nightmare that is the video game industry.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »

*googling*

so many open wounds to fuck am I right

their PR for the statue was great

"It'll make an interesting conversation piece"

I dunno know about you guys but conversations are hard when people are running away from me

edited January 2013
    cptrugged wrote: »
    I don't hate or resent TOR; I had a good time with it for something like six weeks. I do think it's a bit of a shame that a really high-profile, really big-budget MMO (possibly the last new really high-profile, really big-budget MMO for a long, long time to come) decided to only innovate in one way instead of trying to inject new life into the whole tired MMO thing, but oh well.

That I can definitely agree with. I guess they thought the IP alone would be enough to carry it. It's funny too because I'm actively enjoying GW2 just as much as I did TOR and it doesn't have that bonus SW nostalgia fuel. Its just a refreshing change to a lot of the old MMO tropes.

Sometimes I feel bad I'm not logging in GW2, then I don't because it has no monthly fee. I'll definitely come back for new content because its a good game

GW2 has as many missteps as TOR I feel, but by not launching with a sub fee and by focusing more on having a fun leveling experience they got more hours out of me. If GW2 launches a wuvwuv focused expansion that adds more maps, somehow gets rid of queue times, and more structured rewards for wuvwuv?

I will play that and never stop

override367 on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    At least three people saw this sign and not one of them thought:

The quotation marks here are needless

or

These quotation marks are typographic but both are in the same orientation
    warning600.jpg

And so the sticker was designed, professionally printed, and plastered inside a hundred public transport vehicles and our world became just a tiny bit of an uglier, dumber, worse place.

My boss is one of those people who thinks quotation marks indicate emphasis.

It drives me "fucking bonkers".

syndalis wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I just think limiting the decision to one planet begs for a PR backlash.

The paywall? Whatever. Every game has a paywall, it's called fucking buying the thing.

But if you introduce something like this into the game, make it universal. Hell, even make discriminatory planets that play into the narrative in some way.

Just don't put it one one, distant planet.

So you wanted a full blown gay expansion, in which they introduced romantic subplots on multiple worlds, added new NPCs, modified earlier quest lines,etc etc?

I mean, they could do that... But that seems more like the domain of a massive expansion pack as opposed to just a new content addition like this one was.

Who's to say they are done making same-sex relationship options now? Should they NOT have released the ability to get gay lovin' in-game until they had enough content cooked up to spread it across the galaxy? Content that people are mad they have to pay for already, so how much more would all that extra development time / voice acting / bug testing cost?

This is the biggest of non-issues, especially since Bioware has always at least tried to do the right thing in this area, and LucasArts is backing off their previous stance. This is a positive news story, damnit.

I think it would look better if they waited, yes.

Then again, the number of fucks I give is below the fact that I have to re-ink some dice and I'm not doing that any time soon.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    We wanted to provide a unique collector's edition that was utterly 'Dead Island' and would make a striking conversation piece on any discerning zombie gamer's mantel.

STRIKING

CONVERSATION

PIECE

919UOwT.png
    They should have added one gay guy per planet.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Top Gun is the 1980's equivalent of the Dead or Alive movie.

You know I'm surprised we did men first.

under my definition of "Warning"

the quotes make it sarcastic and mean that I should not take it seriously and that it is a figurative warning as opposed to a literal warning, thus I should be able to sue if they actually record my "Voice" or "face"

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    A conversation piece?

That is an amazing thing to say.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    their PR for the statue was great

"It'll make an interesting conversation piece"

I dunno know about you guys but conversations are hard when people are running away from me

They mean the conversation people will have with the 911 operator when you step out of the room.

edited January 2013
    Gooey wrote: »
    We wanted to provide a unique collector's edition that was utterly 'Dead Island' and would make a striking conversation piece on any discerning zombie gamer's mantel.

STRIKING

CONVERSATION

PIECE

Wow I looked this up

is this... the decapitated bikini wearing statue, because that thing is horrible

Like if it was just a bit sexist and it was a whole zombie? That wouldn't be so bad (especially if they had a male zombie one as an option). They could have just done a statue of the flight attendant from the game since she's on the cover art for the first game, wielding a machete

override367 on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    only for the most discerning collectors of severed torsos

rRwz9.gif
    Well, we are all having a conversation about it...

come on guys, they left the parts of the woman that matter the most.

and our world became just a tiny bit of an uglier, dumber, worse place.

This

This!

Thiiiiiiiiiiiis!

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    that torso would go great with my boobs neck pillow, my boobs mousepad, and that mannequin i dress in my mother's clothes

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Man, I was so looking forward to having a meatloaf sandwich for dinner last night. And I got home and all the meatloaf was gone.
    So I cooked a pizza.
    Fuck the police.

Bless your heart.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    No but seriously Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy for you yanks) had a sex minigame where you thrust by pressing the mount button and moving the mouse forward.

also Heavy Rain had a romance subplot that I quite liked.
    ending spoiler!
    I liked it too and then who find out who the killer is and it ruins the whole thing because HOLY FUCK that guy just used the kid he killed to get some

I heard that originally, heavy rain would randomly pick one of the playable characters to be the origami killer each time you started a new game, with hints about who it was changing

probably not feasible but that woulda been neat

I believe Westwood's Blade Runner did something like this.

Tamin on
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Man, I was so looking forward to having a meatloaf sandwich for dinner last night. And I got home and all the meatloaf was gone.
    So I cooked a pizza.
    Fuck the police.

so you were going to put your meatloaf on donuts? Why are you mad at the police?

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    only for the most discerning collectors of severed torsos

this 2013 severed torso is an exquisite vintage

i'll certainly be adding a few to my cellar

919UOwT.png
    They should have added one gay guy per planet.

TAKING JOBS FROM HARDWORKING HETEROSEXUAL NPCS

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Toast some bread, add leftover meatloaf, maybe freshen it up with some ketchup. Plain but delicious.
    And the police line just seemed appropriate for [Chat].

Bless your heart.
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    I'm blaming the brits because from my limited googling it only seems to come in the UK special edition. Here we just get an arm, a suitcase, and one of those dashboard hula girl type things.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Toast some bread, add leftover meatloaf, maybe freshen it up with some ketc-

vomit.gif

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    Toast some bread, add leftover meatloaf, maybe freshen it up with some ketchup. Plain but delicious.
    And the police line just seemed appropriate for [Chat].

Do you want the best fucking meatloaf glaze in your life?
    1 cup of ketchup
    2-4 tablespoons of honey
    1 teaspoon of cumin
    2 teaspoons (or more) of Sriracha.

Mix it up.

YOU'RE WELCOME

This discussion has been closed.