As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adventure [chat]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Is Star Trek Online canon?

Yes for the standard non-reboot timeline. Because they have licenses based on the movies and the show.

Crazy, man.

That means Captain CMDR. SHEPPARD of the U.S.S. USS NORMENDEY is totally legit star trek.

Which is actually less ridiculous than some of the books I've read.

Capt. Vegeta of the U.S.S. SEPHIROTHGOKU

And Admiral Skywalker of the U.S.S. NARUTOYAGAMI

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sports fans are no weirder or creepy than nerds who are no weirder or creepier than tv fans and so on.

There are also a small subsection that are very vocal, very cliquey and very rude. The majority tend to not be that way. That majority tend to not be screaming in public about things.

Believing one is "creepier/less than I" is just bias. Get over it.

there are more sports fans and they have way more of an impact on people outside their little world

Traffic doesn't fucking shut down when there is a LoL championship stream or whatever going on. I have never seen people screaming at each other on the bus over nerdy stuff.

I have seen nerds screaming at each other on the street.

You have a selection bias mostly due to numbers and popularity. If pro-gaming hits the popularity of American Football or the NBA or NHL you might see more of the same actions. People getting attached to teams and players is normal. It isn't unique to sports, look at folks like Day[9] on the internet. And how people identify with him and follow him very much like sports fans follow their favorite players.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Is Star Trek Online canon?

Yes for the standard non-reboot timeline. Because they have licenses based on the movies and the show.

Crazy, man.

That means Captain CMDR. SHEPPARD of the U.S.S. USS NORMENDEY is totally legit star trek.

Which is actually less ridiculous than some of the books I've read.

Capt. Vegeta of the U.S.S. SEPHIROTHGOKU

It was Cap. SEPHIROTHGOKU of the U.S.S. MAIWAIFU

bro do you even Trek

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    When one wishes to elevate their understanding of something beyond hearsay and anecdotes, where does one start? Wikipedia? Do I need like, a subscription to any number of journals?

It's weird, I have access to this huge network, but the quality of information is so variable I feel like I may as well drive to the library.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm just wondering because if I were to write Star Trek fanfiction I'd want to acknowledge actually in-universe events such as the Klingon war and shit in STO.

my favorite thing about the Klingon war in STO is that for the Klingons it's all AARRRGH BLOOD AND HONOR TO THE END OF ALL THINGS and to the Federation it's just this annoying sideshow that they send the lowbies to deal with while everyone else is fighting the Borg.

I probably won't ever play another MMORPG but I love hearing about in game campaigns. I kept up to speed with the politics of EVE Online for like three years after playing the trial and quitting after thirty days.

What other STO stuff happens?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Nirvana's unplugged concert is one of the best performances a rock band has ever given

Except the acoustic version of Pennyroyal Tea is the only one they ever play on the radio any more.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Sports fans are no weirder or creepy than nerds who are no weirder or creepier than tv fans and so on.

There are also a small subsection that are very vocal, very cliquey and very rude. The majority tend to not be that way. That majority tend to not be screaming in public about things.

Believing one is "creepier/less than I" is just bias. Get over it.

there are more sports fans and they have way more of an impact on people outside their little world

Traffic doesn't fucking shut down when there is a LoL championship stream or whatever going on. I have never seen people screaming at each other on the bus over nerdy stuff.

I have seen nerds screaming at each other on the street.

You have a selection bias mostly due to numbers and popularity. If pro-gaming hits the popularity of American Football or the NBA or NHL you might see more of the same actions. People getting attached to teams and players is normal. It isn't unique to sports, look at folks like Day[9] on the internet. And how people identify with him and follow him very much like sports fans follow their favorite players.

oh yeah I don't doubt that.
    but in the here and now, it's the sports fans making my commute take forever and such.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    nerds scream at each other and then bitch about it on the internet

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I need advice, if you have $7000 and need a car but have no credit what would you buy

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    then don't listen to the radio!

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Look, the only reason I screamed at that other nerd is because he wouldn't stop talking to me when I told him that I didn't want to talk about Bible Black and I had no way to elaborate on why I didn't want to talk about Bible Black without indicating that I knew what it was already.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »

have you ever looked at the results of a game on espn.com and then accidentally hit like, the "Conversation" tab? It's tremendous and frightening.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I need advice, if you have $7000 and need a car but have no credit what would you buy

Index funds.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I find the degree to which sports fans get invested in "their" teams (and even identifying as "their" teams!) as deeply creepy yes.

I have friends who are deeply into the Giants, and I support them because they're my friends.

The way I contextualize it is that it's a projection of civic pride. They're proud of San Francisco and the Giants are a symbol of that.

I get that. That makes sense to me.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Personal experience is that "sports people" are worse in the outside world.

They keep on talking to me about Rugby. That's racist.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    also I love that Cobain was basically "play all my hits? Why would I do that?" so the only songs on the album that were well known at the time was Come As You Are and Polly.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I'm just wondering because if I were to write Star Trek fanfiction I'd want to acknowledge actually in-universe events such as the Klingon war and shit in STO.

my favorite thing about the Klingon war in STO is that for the Klingons it's all AARRRGH BLOOD AND HONOR TO THE END OF ALL THINGS and to the Federation it's just this annoying sideshow that they send the lowbies to deal with while everyone else is fighting the Borg.

The other day I got to fight a bunch of Klingons on a tribble hunt. I can only assume the surviving ship limped home where the survivors were given thousands of atomic wedgies.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Probably a Honda. Reliable car that won't cost much if it breaks down.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Just a few minutes ago I accused a man of hating freedom because he disagreed when a classmate read (from a children's book) that the maple leaf on the Toronto Maple Leafs' jerseys was the classiest of logos.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

a piece of shit car

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    also the sports people have been on my mind lately because aparently the Seahawks have been doing well this year (?) so Seattle is bubbling towards a critical mass of crazy again

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Nirvana's unplugged concert is one of the best performances a rock band has ever given

Except the acoustic version of Pennyroyal Tea is the only one they ever play on the radio any more.

I don't really see this as a loss

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

Do you need a lot of space? If not, probably an used Honda Civic or the equivalent from Toyota. I am not an expert on this subject, although I have always found Honda's smaller cars to be extremely reliable.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

Pre-owned factory-inspected Honda Civic, Accord, or Toyota Camry from a dealership. (This is not an exhaustive list of models.)

You might need to get some financing, or maybe not, depending on what's in your area.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »

have you ever looked at the results of a game on espn.com and then accidentally hit like, the "Conversation" tab? It's tremendous and frightening.

The hatred Lebron James got for leaving Cleveland was whoa.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Ask Slider.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Just a few minutes ago I accused a man of hating freedom because he disagreed when a classmate read (from a children's book) that the maple leaf on the Toronto Maple Leafs' jerseys was the classiest of logos.

It is clearly the Detroit Red Wings logo.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    also the sports people have been on my mind lately because aparently the Seahawks have been doing well this year (?) so Seattle is bubbling towards a critical mass of crazy again

They lost

You're saved!

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm considering buying my mom's 2008 sonata for $4000, leaving me ample money to move (not telling her that or she'd never go for it), it has 100,000 miles on it, but good shape

it's worth more than that I think but I paid the car payment for a year so she owes me

override367 on
  • Options
    Alternative option: a $4000 even later-model Honda or Toyota sedan from a private owner, but inspected by a mechanic, then put $3000 in an interest-bearing bank account only to be drawn upon in the event of repairs.

May require financial discipline on your part.

• Options
    Look, the only reason I screamed at that other nerd is because he wouldn't stop talking to me when I told him that I didn't want to talk about Bible Black and I had no way to elaborate on why I didn't want to talk about Bible Black without indicating that I knew what it was already.

This is basically the same reason sports fans scream at each other!

The mere existence of the other teams is an affront to our favourite team, and so acknowledging their existence, not to mention possibly suggesting that have a legitimate shot at winning is deeply offensive and grounds for termination.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

I don't really see this as a loss

I just like the electric version much better.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

I thought the animation quality on Bible Black was excellent. Much more reminiscent of old OVA style animation budgets than TV budgets.

• Options

They lost, it should calm down soon! :o

Put up

your goddamn

dukes

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

I probably won't ever play another MMORPG but I love hearing about in game campaigns. I kept up to speed with the politics of EVE Online for like three years after playing the trial and quitting after thirty days.

What other STO stuff happens?

You encounter Thomas Riker Jr. There is a Reman Revolt against the Romulans that you lend a hand with. You chase a bunch of shape shifters around.
    Oh and the Iconians aren't dead but have been waiting for the right time to tear apart the Alpha Quadrant so they could rule it again.

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »

Ask Slider.

WELL WHAT YOU NEED TO DO IS BUY A BITCHIN' CORVETTE AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU ARE IN NASCAR AND- *wraps it around a tree because he is posting on his phone while driving*

• Options
    Heh Feral if I had $3000 and didn't desperately need to move for my own sanity I'd get knee surgery, really really need knee surgery

• Options
    I'm considering buying my mom's 2008 sonata for $4000, leaving me ample money to move (not telling her that or she'd never go for it), it has 100,000 miles on it, but good shape

it's worth more than that I think but I paid the car payment for a year so she owes me

That is a good price for that car, assuming there are no lurking mechanical problems. And Google tells me that the reliability is decent:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Hyundai_Sonata/2008/Reliability/
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?year=2008&make=Hyundai&model=Sonata

• Options

They lost, it should calm down soon! :o

Put up

your goddamn

dukes

I channel the spirit of Grodie Howe

• Options
    Though I admit, I do kind of like the deflated look people here get after they start to gloat that the Boks lost a game, only to realise I have no idea what they're talking about, and don't care.

Move to New Zealand
This discussion has been closed.