As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Island PR come up with most appalling idea in history of gaming PR

1525354555658»

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yes yes, this thread is a progressive enlightenment wet dream.

Okay, so I may not agree 100% with everything said in this thread. But I do realize that there are major issues with how women are treated in society and how they are portrayed in media. I also understand that you did not choose the term.

That being said, I feel saddened that the term used to describe the want of a more inclusive and fair society is "progressive". You would think that after all this time, fair treatment of women would be something that does not need that much more progress.
    Get used to it, I guess. Throughout basically the entire history of Western society, being in favor of equality for women has been progressive and being against it has been conservative. You've had thousands of years to get used to it and if you're hoping that your lifetime is going to be the one where that changes, well... I wish I could be as optimistic.

• Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Tycho, I am certain that by Western society for thousands of years you mean Europe and N. America since the Euro colonization because from everything I've read, the Native American females of most tribes were at least as equal to, and in some cases more than equal, than the men.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes, by Western society I meant Western society.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Okay, so I may not agree 100% with everything said in this thread. But I do realize that there are major issues with how women are treated in society and how they are portrayed in media. I also understand that you did not choose the term.

That being said, I feel saddened that the term used to describe the want of a more inclusive and fair society is "progressive". You would think that after all this time, fair treatment of women would be something that does not need that much more progress.

Progress is myopic. As society and culture evolve, new issues crop up which we have to recognize collectively before we can even begin to address them. We'll never finish the fight against inequality.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

Get used to it, I guess. Throughout basically the entire history of Western society, being in favor of equality for women has been progressive and being against it has been conservative. You've had thousands of years to get used to it and if you're hoping that your lifetime is going to be the one where that changes, well... I wish I could be as optimistic.

I agree with every thing you said. You hit the nail on the head. Thousands of years of human history, and people with different skin color/body parts are viewed as different. We can put a man on the moon, but cannot treat our fellow human beings with dignity. Since this is not a general "sexism" thread, I'll end my thoughts on that issue here.
    Taranis wrote: »

Progress is myopic. As society and culture evolve, new issues crop up which we have to recognize collectively before we can even begin to address them. We'll never finish the fight against inequality.

I don't care if the're programmed to feel love, no daughter of mine will ever be a dirty robosexual!!

Also earlier I saw a lot of people describe the torso as "the straw that broke the camel's back". The feeling I got was that this was another bushel of straw on the back of a camel whose spine has not be intact of as long as it can remember.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I kind of think that a skill that increases a female character's damage vs male targets is more sexist than a placeholder name some idiot dev came up with. I mean, the code is never meant to be part of the visible game, but the skill is.

Hmmmm, now you have me thinking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They're actually some of the more tactical good options as there are more male antagonists (black widow perk) than female antagonists (ladykiller). Taken early and through the length of the game, Black Widow can really help the player survive and win.

Furthermore, the two situations I know you can use Black Widow earliest in either game lets you manipulate a male character into no longer helping commit mass murder and cures another of their psychological delusions. So by being sexy, they are helping people and not having to fuck them....although taking that character in Fallout 3 as a wifey might have proved useful.....
    I just checked the Fallout wiki and it turns out that although New Vegas is in the clear, FO3 isn't (surprise surprise, Obsidian doing something better than Bethesda...). FO3 has "Black Widow" (female perk, +damage vs men) and "Lady Killer" (male perk, +damage vs women), basically the "women are seductresses who use their sexuality to hurt men" and "violence against women hooray." Whereas New Vegas adds "Confirmed Bachelor" (male perk, +damage vs men) and "Cherchez La Femme" (female perk, +damage vs women) because the lesson in New Vegas is that it's not just dudes who hurt women and it's not just women who seduce men. It takes us from Fallout 3's uninteresting and frankly sexist reinforcement of traditional gender roles into New Vegas' more balanced "whoever you want your character to be, that is who you can be" world.
    "Lady Killer" is a slang term for a man that is particularly adept at wooing women.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'm glad we've pointed this out twice now. A few more times and I should be good to go.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Also earlier I saw a lot of people describe the torso as "the straw that broke the camel's back". The feeling I got was that this was another bushel of straw on the back of a camel whose spine has not be intact of as long as it can remember.

It's pretty much this. Anyone who cares about the larger picture can look around and see hundreds of examples of this shit, with the tit statue being just the most recent/best example to come along in a week or two. Many people who don't care about the larger picture hand wave away all the examples as "well, that was just one dude, nothing to do with the company/industry/human race", or "by itself, this thing isn't a big deal".

Companies/the video game industry/society is made up of a million little things. One programmer dude putting something totally inappropriate into a line of code, or a PR company making a grotesque misogynist statue, or the majority of individual instances of games displaying misogyny to a greater or lesser extent is all little things that don't matter on their own.

Just like World War II was just a bunch of little battles and isolated incidents of bad stuff happening, right? There was no larger problem there that might have caused a bit of concern for like... all human kind? Better call all the history book people and get them to reprint their textbooks to show that there might have been an unusual number of shootings and isolated incidents of atrocities that had no larger significance between the years of 1939 and 1945- they're totally making it out to be some sort of global event that was all tied together and had a larger meaning!

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yes, gross sexism can be equated to World War II.

If you're insane. Like, I get what you're trying to say, but that was just an awful analogy.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I kind of think that a skill that increases a female character's damage vs male targets is more sexist than a placeholder name some idiot dev came up with. I mean, the code is never meant to be part of the visible game, but the skill is.

Hmmmm, now you have me thinking about Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They're actually some of the more tactical good options as there are more male antagonists (black widow perk) than female antagonists (ladykiller). Taken early and through the length of the game, Black Widow can really help the player survive and win.

Furthermore, the two situations I know you can use Black Widow earliest in either game lets you manipulate a male character into no longer helping commit mass murder and cures another of their psychological delusions. So by being sexy, they are helping people and not having to fuck them....although taking that character in Fallout 3 as a wifey might have proved useful.....
    I just checked the Fallout wiki and it turns out that although New Vegas is in the clear, FO3 isn't (surprise surprise, Obsidian doing something better than Bethesda...). FO3 has "Black Widow" (female perk, +damage vs men) and "Lady Killer" (male perk, +damage vs women), basically the "women are seductresses who use their sexuality to hurt men" and "violence against women hooray." Whereas New Vegas adds "Confirmed Bachelor" (male perk, +damage vs men) and "Cherchez La Femme" (female perk, +damage vs women) because the lesson in New Vegas is that it's not just dudes who hurt women and it's not just women who seduce men. It takes us from Fallout 3's uninteresting and frankly sexist reinforcement of traditional gender roles into New Vegas' more balanced "whoever you want your character to be, that is who you can be" world.
    "Lady Killer" is a slang term for a man that is particularly adept at wooing women.

It's also a perk in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Yes, gross sexism can be equated to World War II.

If you're insane. Like, I get what you're trying to say, but that was just an awful analogy.

You...didnt actually read the post, did you? I was saying that if you look at individual instances of things and ignore context, you lose the whole larger issue. Nowhere did I say that sexism is the same as world War II, nor can it be reasonably implied from my post.

This discussion has been closed.