As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Industry Thread] Impossible Games sets the speed record for studio closure

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Dragon Quest X sales seem pretty low, wonder how many are waiting for the Wii U version.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Probably 40 thousand westerners living in Japan.

I was living in Japan when they first released the 0XBOX. Going into electronics stores you'd usually find a really small stand for it in some dark corner.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Persona 4G was not only the best selling Vita game of the year in Japan, but it was also Atlus's best selling game of the year. Persona 5 PS3/Vita confirmed?

EDIT: Despite never doing huge numbers like WoW, FFXI is one of Square-Enix's most profitable games of all time. I imagine they're reasonably pleased with those figures for DQ Online.

EDIT: Yeah, the 360 is really nice if you live overseas because most of the games are in English. Not so nice for non-English speakers (they sometimes don't bother translating 360 games into the local language).

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's a black horse and a character with what looks like blonde hair, but it's hard to tell, obviously.

Trying to think of other Disney cartoons with black horses... obviously not anyone from Mulan, and doesn't seem to have the costume flair of Frollo...

...now that there's a dedicated Disney Infinity thread we should probably keep our Disney geeking out over there. Suffice to say it looks like the company is mining all of their history for this thing.

You guys are horrible at this. The bottom coin is the main character from Brave and her horse, the coin in the upper-right is Peter Pan and the pirate ship.

The whole theme is character + vehicle. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    iirc MMOs don't usually do that well in Japan. Not to mention Japan has been primarily a handheld territory for the last several years. Plus the Wii is mostly dead system.

All of that added up probably contributed to the low sales.

I too am interested in how it does on the WiiU...but given the weak sales on it, I'm really not sure.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I think what's more important for DQX than the upfront sales are how many subscribers they've managed to hook and maintain. As long as a good chunk of players are actually retained through subscriptions they still stand to make a good chunk of moneyfoods.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Wow.... people actually buy 360 games in Japan?

Apparently there's a blob of people over there who are like the mirrorverse version of the rabid otaku we have over here.

Also, good gravy the 3DS is a rampaging monster in Japan.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    JediabiwanJediabiwan Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    It's a black horse and a character with what looks like blonde hair, but it's hard to tell, obviously.

Trying to think of other Disney cartoons with black horses... obviously not anyone from Mulan, and doesn't seem to have the costume flair of Frollo...

...now that there's a dedicated Disney Infinity thread we should probably keep our Disney geeking out over there. Suffice to say it looks like the company is mining all of their history for this thing.

You guys are horrible at this. The bottom coin is the main character from Brave and her horse, the coin in the upper-right is Peter Pan and the pirate ship.

The whole theme is character + vehicle. :)

That's what I thought at first too, but I'm pretty sure they're actually talking about the picture two photos down that has a different token with a black horse on the far right.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Wow.... people actually buy 360 games in Japan?

Apparently there's a blob of people over there who are like the mirrorverse version of the rabid otaku we have over here.

Also, good gravy the 3DS is a rampaging monster in Japan.

Bowser is the new Godzilla confirmed!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    720 or PS4 possibly launching at the same price as the WiiU doesn't bode well for Nintendo. Whats the chance they pull a 3DS and slash the price before they launch?

Have you seen the rumored specs of the 720 and PS4? If they're true, I really don't see the huge disparity in performance that we saw in this generation. And neither of those have the nifty controller, or a studio like Nintendo building games that can show off the nifty controller.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    Warrior's Lair, Dragon's Crown, FFX HD and hopefully US releases of the Tales of Innocence/Hearts R as well will be big names for the Vita.

hahaha nope

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    720 or PS4 possibly launching at the same price as the WiiU doesn't bode well for Nintendo. Whats the chance they pull a 3DS and slash the price before they launch?

Have you seen the rumored specs of the 720 and PS4? If they're true, I really don't see the huge disparity in performance that we saw in this generation. And neither of those have the nifty controller, or a studio like Nintendo building games that can show off the nifty controller.

Yeah, I'm not exactly a tech-head, but I don't see the Wii U having a problem running any of the software that will be available on the 720 and PS4, even if they have to turn off a shiny or two.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

I thought PS4 and Durango have 4-8GB of RAM?

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

If the RAM is at that amount there's no way they're launching at the Wii U's price point, not without MS and Sony each taking a colossal hit due to production cost.

• Options
    The article said their basically using off the shelf PC parts. Without the tablet, it might be doable.

Any guesses what the WiiU price would be minus tablet?

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    There's two scenarios at play. Either 360/PS4 go conservative and don't push their systems too far forward, but it results in a cheaper product.. Or the rumors are true and they do uber-power with some kind of subsidy or loss leader.

Personally, I think the Xbox is going to come in lite/heavy flavors (at $400 and 700/subsidized), and the PS4 is going to only come in a light, conservative model aimed at bolstering their bottom line.

Nintendo doesn't give a damn either way.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I can't wait for this to find the same results as every other one of these studies but then be ignored when the next tragedy happens.
    US president Barack Obama is calling for congress to spend $10 million so the Center for Disease Control can conduct research on the relationship between video games, "media images" and violence.

This follows news of several games industry delegates meeting with vice president Joe Biden last week to discuss the issue of video games and their relation to real world violence. Biden remained firm that he wasn't singling video games out and realised this was a complex issue that involved hearing from various organisations. White House administrative officials told Polygon that Biden met with 220 different organizations across 22 different meetings.

Biden seemed unconvinced that video games were responsible for violent tragedies such as the recent Sandy Hooks shooting resulting in 20 children and six adult staff dead, but he deemed the issue warranted further investigation.

"We know there is no single answer and quite frankly we don't even know whether some of the things people think impact on [gun violence] actually impact on it or not," said Biden.

Obama took this uncertainty to heart. "We don't benefit from ignorance. We don't benefit from not knowing the science from this epidemic of violence," he stated.

Prior to the president's memorandum today, for the last 17 years federally funded research that could potentially "advocate or promote gun control" had been barred by Congress. According to NBC News, pro-gun advocates - such as the NRA - had prevented funding for the Center of Disease Control's firearms research since the mid-90s.

According to Dr. Mark Rosenberg, president of the Task Force for Global Health and director of the CDC's Center for Injury Prevention and Control from 1994 to 1999, the NRA and Congressional leaders began suppressing information that was damning to gun advocates in 1996. Information like homes with guns having three times the risk of homicide and five times the risk of suicide, according to a 1993 study in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"Basically, they've [the CDC] been terrorised by the NRA," said Rosenberg, who claimed that the NRA attacked some scientists, attempted to discredit their research, and even threatened their families.

"These were not mild campaigns," he said. "When the NRA comes after you, they come after you with both barrels."

Stephen Teret, director for the Center for Law and the Public's Health at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg noted that research into other public health problems has cut down on deaths dramatically over the last several years.

"When I first started, there were 50,000 people a year dying on the highways. Now it's 32,000 and that's because there's been superb scientific research," Teret noted. "We need to be able to address gun-related injuries in the same scientific manner as highway injuries."

Obama's Presidential Memorandum on researching video games and the media's relation to guns is but one among 23 actions the president is taking towards reducing gun violence. Others steps include: reforming background check loopholes on prospective gun buyers, banning "military-style" assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, making schools safer, increasing access to mental health services and other "common-sense steps."

According to White House officials, lifting the ban on gun research fell under these "common-sense steps."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-16-obama-spends-usd10-million-to-research-link-between-video-games-and-violence

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

If the RAM is at that amount there's no way they're launching at the Wii U's price point, not without MS and Sony each taking a colossal hit due to production cost.

Per some story I read this morning the xbox dev-kit has 12GB of ram with the presumption that the real deal will have 8. Seems unlikely that they'd drop from 12 to the Wii-U's 2.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    The article said their basically using off the shelf PC parts. Without the tablet, it might be doable.

$170. That's the Warranty replacement cost.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Athenor wrote: »

$170. That's the Warranty replacement cost.

Seems like $200+ could buy more RAM and a graphics card upgrade. But thats assuming 720/PS4 aren't launching with their own pricey accessory.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It would blow my mind if MS didn't include The next Kinect with their new console. No idea on Sony, but Microsoft is chasing that media center money too hard to remove that controllersless interaction, to say nothing of wanting the casuals.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'd be really surprised if the next Xbox doesn't have Kinect 2.0. But then again, they could offer a cellphone style payment plan (minimal upfront, monthly fee for a couple years that also gets you Live) so who knows what the system will actually cost.

• Options
    Kinnectless model might be their $350 value box.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I don't think they could offer a kinnectless model because I'm pretty sure they want it to be a staple for their next gen system.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Feeling emboldened by correctly guessing the Wii U to be priced at 300-350 bucks, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the other two systems are probably going to both end up somewhere around 400-450. I do also suspect MS will come up with some sort of payment plan for their system, maybe something like 200 bucks up front plus twenty bucks a month for 18 months?

• Options
    I can't wait for this to find the same results as every other one of these studies but then be ignored when the next tragedy happens.
    ($10 million for video game violence research)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-16-obama-spends-usd10-million-to-research-link-between-video-games-and-violence

Welp, there's the compromise for the NRA.

Could have been a lot worse, because unless the study is heavily biased (which the CDC doesn't do) they'll get the same non-connection they always do.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    $200 up front seems like a lot. I think the only way the upfront model is going to work is if the system is priced $99 or lower upfront. Probably just wishful thinking.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    $200 up front seems like a lot. I think the only way the upfront model is going to work is if the system is priced $99 or lower upfront. Probably just wishful thinking.

I agree, but I think going any lower will make a lot of the people who do the suit-think shaky in the knees.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

New-model smartphones are often $200 up front plus a subscription. If nothing else, the xbox will come in much larger and more satisfying packaging than a phone for your two benjamins.

Also: if the unit actually costs $N and you sell it for $M + sub, you need to make up N - M in subscription fees. If they don't up the current $20 a month (is it $20? I think it is) XBL price and they do a cellphone-style 2 year contract that's $240 of fees collected over the guaranteed period. Even if providing XBL is free, that means they're losing money if the actual box costs them more than $440 a unit. So to get sub-$200 up-front prices you'd need either a longer contract period (which, I dunno, maybe people would be cool with; I wouldn't want to guarantee ownership of a launch-model game console for more than 2 years given that the things die so often) or raise the monthly rate. Much past $20 you're probably going to have a hard time convincing people it's a bargain unless you're offering some kind of utility beyond "have a console for cheaper right now". Cellphone subsidies are hidden within the cost of getting phone and data services.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options

New-model smartphones are often $200 up front plus a subscription. If nothing else, the xbox will come in much larger and more satisfying packaging than a phone for your two benjamins.

Hell, because of that I wouldn't be shocked if the subscription model costs a little more than $200. It might even give Microsoft the excuse to make the system beefier and have a higher regular price, because "you can still get it for cheaper than the Wii U!"

Meanwhile Sony will become enboldened by what they're hearing the 720's specs are from developers and charge $47,000 per PS4.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Meanwhile Sony will become enboldened by what they're hearing the 720's specs are from developers and charge $47,000 per PS4.

Don't forget the added value of two additional games at a price increase of only exactly what they would cost to buy them separately!

• Options
    You know, I was being cheeky with that remark, but we may really launch with higher prices for the PS4 and 720 both. Remember that this generation went really long thanks in part to diminishing returns from added horsepower, and this next generation could be longer still. Microsoft and Sony might decide the best way to plan for an extra-long generation is to have their consoles be extra-beefy at launch to future-proof them. Sure, sales might be slow at first, but the bet is that gamers will wait rather than go any place else, and sales will pick up and stay steady as the generation goes on.

And of course Microsoft could take away the sting through the subscription model. Meanwhile Sony will include a copy of Parappa the Rapper HD.

• Options
    edited January 2013

Also: if the unit actually costs $N and you sell it for $M + sub, you need to make up N - M in subscription fees. If they don't up the current $20 a month (is it $20? I think it is) XBL price and they do a cellphone-style 2 year contract that's $240 of fees collected over the guaranteed period. Even if providing XBL is free, that means they're losing money if the actual box costs them more than $440 a unit. So to get sub-$200 up-front prices you'd need either a longer contract period (which, I dunno, maybe people would be cool with; I wouldn't want to guarantee ownership of a launch-model game console for more than 2 years given that the things die so often) or raise the monthly rate. Much past $20 you're probably going to have a hard time convincing people it's a bargain unless you're offering some kind of utility beyond "have a console for cheaper right now". Cellphone subsidies are hidden within the cost of getting phone and data services.

Ah, yeah, this. They've gotta strike a pretty tough balance here, but if they're gonna offer Live at all they have to price the monthly fee such that it's more than what they currently charge for the service on its own. Say 30 bucks a month would be a really long term contract, and 40 bucks a month might just be a bit too much to ask for...

EDIT:

Actually, here's a thought - what if they offer the package such that Live is free for just a short time of the payoff plan? First one, two, three months or so? That would probably look pretty appealing, and this arrangement just might let them get away with charging just 20 bucks or so a month without losing money in the long run on the deal.

Zephiran on

• Options
    Gameindustrybiz:
    "Our checks suggest that next-generation console hardware will be largely built from 'off the shelf' high-end PC components, along with hybrid physical/digital distribution models, enhanced voice controls and motion sensing (Kinect integration with every Xbox), and broad multi-media capabilities," he detailed.
    "Moreover, a PC-based architecture (Intel chips in the case of Xbox) should have a number of advantages over custom-developed silicon: for one, the learning curve for software developers will be shorter than completely new technology. Second, the cost of production and retail price points should be lower than prior console launches.

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-14-USD400-price-point-for-next-playstation-xbox-consoles

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I know this is old, but I'd like to say that as the parent of two girls I knew immediately that this was Angus, the horse from Brave, and that the fact I know this is why I'm absolutely sure this idea is worth approximately all the dollars.

• Options
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    I know this is old, but I'd like to say that as the parent of two girls I knew immediately that this was Angus, the horse from Brave, and that the fact I know this is why I'm absolutely sure this idea is worth approximately all the dollars.

There was actually another disk with Merida riding Angus, and it looked completely different.

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Retail price point lower than prior console launches? The only console they could possibly be referring to is the PS3's launch price, and it's pretty obvious that nobody's stupid enough to repeat that mistake. Obviously going with standard, mass-market existing parts is going to be cheaper than trying to recoup costs sunk into the R&D and tooling and production and manufacturing of brand new CPU tech.

The thing that they seem to be implying by "lower than prior console launches" is sub-$400. And I'm calling bull on that. Even if the parts are cheaper, $400 is the new target retail price; so any "savings" on standard parts will be used to simply buy more expensive standard parts; ie more powerful console at the target retail price.

But really what we're gonna see is an Xbox with the Kinect 2.0 packed in that's going to jack up the price, but we're also going to see an XBL subsidized $199 or $299 Xbox 720 or whatever.

The PS4? Sony can't afford to take another massive hit right now. They'll have to keep it conservative. I doubt they'll pack in anything like Kinect or a tablet; they'd rather piece that out as accessories (that end up hardly being supported). Since they can't really afford a massive, massive loss-leader strategy they'll probably pack in as much power with cheap standard parts as they can and take as much of a hit as they can without killing their bottom line (again).

But we're not gonna see $299 console launches or anythingl.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Gameindustrybiz:
    "Our checks suggest that next-generation console hardware will be largely built from 'off the shelf' high-end PC components, along with hybrid physical/digital distribution models, enhanced voice controls and motion sensing (Kinect integration with every Xbox), and broad multi-media capabilities," he detailed.
    "Moreover, a PC-based architecture (Intel chips in the case of Xbox) should have a number of advantages over custom-developed silicon: for one, the learning curve for software developers will be shorter than completely new technology. Second, the cost of production and retail price points should be lower than prior console launches.

gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-14-USD400-price-point-for-next-playstation-xbox-consoles

I guess that makes more sense than having your own chip made from scratch.

Also $350-400 sounds about right. Though I'm wondering if MS will do the whole 300 for the low-end model and 400 for the standard model thing again.

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Gameindustrybiz:

I guess that makes more sense than having your own chip made from scratch.

Also $350-400 sounds about right. Though I'm wondering if MS will do the whole 300 for the low-end model and 400 for the standard model thing again.

They won't. It'll be $400 minimum if they want to include Kinect. If it's less than $400 it'll be because they're signing you up for an Xbox Live contract for 2 years.

• Options
    I won't be surprised to see a $350 version with a tiny HD and no Kinect.

Sony, I have no clue. Maybe make it PS1+PS2+PS3 compatible with Move support? Though I doubt they would do that since it would cut out PS Classics on PSN. Obviously make the Sony Xperia phones work with it via app.

This discussion has been closed.