As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jugg's Jug O' Art Pt. II: THE INKENING (NSFW)

JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
edited December 2017 in Artist's Corner
Haha oh shit there sure is some stuff in here!

I decided to dig this thing up since I'm working on getting some prints and things finished up for an art convention in May which will be kind of a big deal for me. Sort of the first step in doing something a semi serious artist might do.

Juggernut on

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Got a slightly larger version? Bit small in my opinion.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    8385213756_83dc47e9cd_b.jpg

My homework this week was to draw a table, a person, a hand, and yourself if you wanted to. So I combined all three with a random cartoon me at the bottom.

Juggernut on
    Today saw me drawing a veritable shit ton of mirror image silhouettes (which I won't post) and this reference of Picasso's Igor Stravinski which I had to draw upside down. I added a wonky filter so you could see the pencil lines which were way too light.

8387192329_0288667d8d_b.jpg

edited January 2013
    Warming up with this stream of consciousness painting doodad.

BBT1AwPCcAA44p9.jpg

Juggernut on
  • HalenHalen Registered User regular
    i kinda like it! But I'm a sucker for bright colours :-)

Draw an egg.
    edited January 2013
    No idea what this was supposed to be.

BBkJisbCUAA7K9b.jpg

His right eye is wonky as hell.

Juggernut on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I would try starting out with some larger brushes, and then gradually use some smaller brushes as you move from general forms into detail work.

Noted. This kind of stuff is fairly new to me so any tips or hints is greatly appreciated.

edited February 2013
    'S been a while since I updated so here's a few sketches/composition value-y things.

8448116209_e3669a7ee9_b.jpg

8448116849_231a788efa_b.jpg

8449205574_06fbc811b8_b.jpg

Juggernut on
    Finished this. Not all that happy with it. Things were sort of going ok until I hit the background. And the rubble ended up looking like a riverbed.The layout is just really boring and simple as well. I need to think more about composition and were shit is going to be. Didn't really see that until it was too late. I might re work this concept a few times until I get it right. Or, at least, as close to right as possible. Giving myself a slight pat on the back though, because I feel like I'm getting a little better grasp of digital painting and maybe colors a little kind of not really.

stalingrad_burns_by_evansrck-d5vo6tj.jpg

edited February 2013
    8504233215_a8da990140_z.jpg

Juggernut on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    If I could comment on your environment, I know little about them but one thing I do know is that the value gets lighter the farther away something gets. You seem to have done the opposite, light in front dark behind. Perhaps flipping the values would help the composition and lend some separation of the near and far shapes.

ninjai on
    You know, I started out with that in mind. But for whatever reason I did get way darker as I went. Then I tried "correcting" it with a light haze and it just made it all fuzzy rather than getting the value I wanted.

I keep thinking "Yah, I could do a webcomic." But then I get working on some strips and I hate them in five minutes. "That's not funny at all, you ninny." My inner criticizing voice is British.

8533806953_df26565b12_c.jpg

• TheJoeTheJoe Registered User regular
    There's one thing I've learned about myself, that I hear from others -- we are out own worst critics.

You may think there's nothing funny in that at all, however others will giggle, because it involves fortune cookie fortunes and boobies.

• kkrieselkkriesel artist Milwaukee, WIRegistered User new member
    Firstly: you're being awfully hard on yourself. If you proclaim that you've messed up or that what you make is no good, people will believe you before even looking at your work.

You're excellent at drawing expressions, particularly with faces. A good step would be to continue that expressionism with the rest of the person. For example, your first piece gets less detailed the further down the page. You have a fantastic start though, keep it up!!

Thanks for the feedback!

Here's another comic I did about Far Cry 3.

far_cryin__3_by_evansrck-d5xdp4r.jpg

UPDAAAAAAATES!

First off, my face.

8621742385_9ed355a7e8_z.jpg

I came out kinda balloon headed. Nothing like a self protrait to let you know you need a haircut.

I forgot what this is called.

8621748949_35d594781b_z.jpg

More milk jugs.

8621750331_1594e1570b_z.jpg

Creepy ass mannequin

8622876338_d854283493_z.jpg

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    After seeing these two spring poses I really expected a third shot of the guy sneezing his brains out or something; I thought it was a setup for a classic "spring is wonderful oh no I have allergies" joke, haha.

Ok, I'm gonna try and start posting in here a lot more. I have pretty much the whole summer off with nothing to do and no excuse to not be practicing as much as possible.

First off: Some quick 45-60 second gestures

8747371759_97af8835cf_c.jpg

8748494326_58167fa40d_c.jpg

And some figure studies.

8747371271_2a1feaeb54_c.jpg

I've plugged it a bunch but there's a super helpful website for figure and gesture drawing that lets you set up anywhere from 30 second to 10 minute standard drawing sessions or "class" sessions that ease you into 6 hours if you want. I highly recommend using it for warm ups and general practice. (I'm not affiliated with them at all by the way.)

Just a few more gestures for today. I'm working on a drawing that's taking up a lot of time at the moment.

8758041953_25ced31d3b_c.jpg

8759168520_109aa165f2_c.jpg

Ok , back at it. My tablet usb cord snapped and I took a bloody long time to go replace it.

9084799839_7606cb18b2.jpg

Shit lighting.

• McDMcD Registered User regular
    I use that figure drawing site myself, man, it's a good one! Looking forward to when they finally get that hand drawing reference tool up and running. That latest batch looks great!

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    The hatching on the top left girl looks great in the crotch and stomach area, it seems like contour lines even. I wish the other hatching felt the Same. (Like on her boob,hand, and ribs)

That being said, the new batch of drawings look sweet

Thanks man! I was just sort of playing around with it a bit but next time I'll definitely put more focus on the hatching and see if I can't make it more consistent.

Ok, so I figured it would be good practice to turn one of my short stories I wrote in an English class into a short comic. I'm going to try and get a page done every day and then I'll post it in here so that other comic folks can crit it and such. If I miss a day or something somebody get on me. Anyway's here's the first page.

9208841763_0ed6db9fe4_c.jpg

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Freeze, punk! Step away from the comic sans! That's it, nice and slow... This doesn't have to get ugly. (Lotsa free decent comic fonts out there, grab one so you aren't shooting yourself in the foot from the get go.)

You'll never take me alive, coppers!

But how do I even download fonts for manga studio cause I really don't know at all.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Download .tff file, put it in folder in Control Panel called "Fonts."
    Blambot.com is a great source for comic fonts.

Oh, well that sounds easy enough. Thanks! I'll try that when I get the chance today.

edited July 2013
    May have underestimated how long it will take me to finish a page. Might have to bump up the updates to a page every two days.

Juggernut on
  • McDMcD Registered User regular
    Yeah, man, pages always take me way longer than I think they will... One of these days I'll get to one done per day... Also, I would say to leave a little more room around the lettering, at the moment the narration box and balloon looks a bit claustrophobic. The guy who runs Blambot posted these two handy guides to lettering on twitter ages ago. Looking forward to seeing your other pages! How long do you plan on making it?

Thanks for the guides! The paper itself is six pages long so I'm not sure how that'll translate.

edited July 2013
    Ok. It's finally here. It's not pretty but it's here. I got a legit font now though, so there's that.

9228162418_1beccc4c59_c.jpg

The last two or three panels were pretty rushed as you can see, but I have learned a few things from it.

I think I'm going to do the next page on actual paper and then do the lining and such in Manga studio afterwards. (Which is what I probably should've been doing from the beginning) I notice I don't fully render my sketches in MS so when I go to do the lines I'm basically drawing the image from scratch, which is way less clean and more time consuming. So I'm going to try and fully flesh out my drawings first and hopefully getting back to a pencil and paper will give me a little more versatility. We'll see anyway.

Edit: And I should probably check my text is fully spaced before I merge the layers.

Juggernut on
    Ok so I'm having an issue. Manga studio has gone bonkers and I'm not sure why. Basically, I can't open any files without getting a wrong format message and the start page it gives you is totally messed up. I have absolutely no clue what's happening.

So here's the first one. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to post these since the Arches paper I'm using is too big for my scanner. I'll update them if I find a better way to do it. Right now I'm having to take a photo with my camera then go through my phone which is giving me some garbage quality. I'M TRYING MY HARDEST OK

nlgyo09fuow6.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2017
    Hey juggs, I really like that!

Assuming you have photoshop, to scan your images on a smaller scanner:
    1: scan it in parts, making sure the you've given all the parts of the drawing a chance to get optimal light. For my 11x17 Sketchbook, I scan top and bottom and then get one of the middle.

2: Open all of these in photoshop

3: Navigate to File –> Automate –> Photomerge

4: Choose to add all the open documents to the list

5: Merge it.

Photoshop will then do all the work of stitching it together! Be patient, it's a bit of a process before the new document will appear. You can then save it off.

Iruka on
    Iruka wrote: »
    Hey juggs, I really like that!

Assuming you have photoshop, to scan your images on a smaller scanner:
    1: scan it in parts, making sure the you've given all the parts of the drawing a chance to get optimal light. For my 11x17 Sketchbook, I scan top and bottom and then get one of the middle.

2: Open all of these in photoshop

3: Navigate to File –> Automate –> Photomerge

4: Choose to add all the open documents to the list

5: Merge it.

Photoshop will then do all the work of stitching it together! Be patient, it's a bit of a process before the new document will appear. You can then save it off.

Oooh I'll need to give this a shot.