As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

To [Disney Infinity]...and beyond!

1363738394042»

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    This will most likely be my only foray into the toys-to-life genre.

kyrcl.png
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    I've bought a couple of Amiibo, but not for anything in-game, just for the figures.

Both me and the girlfriend loved running around Tatooin, hearing the original music, and all the sounds of Star Wars.
    Sure the game wasn't the most inspired, but it may very well be our preferred Star Wars game. And with such great figures . . .

I'm surprised and saddened by this, to me, sudden news.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    My 7 year old daughter was devastated this morning when I told her they were cancelling Infinity. She really likes SW (We have all SW playsets and most of the figures, as well as Marvel BG and Inside Out + all Emotions). I still enjoy playing these games with her, so I'm wondering what people would recommend as far as the other collectible playset games go. We do not and probably will not have a Nintendo of any sort, so that one is out. How does Skylanders rate? Are there others that are better?

Thanks for any input.

Also in case it hasn't been mentioned, Walmart (in my area anyway) has 3.0 SW figures for $6 brand new.

I'm a fan of Skylanders. Very cartoon-like.

LEGO Dimensions is like the natural evolution of LEGO games. If you like LEGO games, you should like this. If you don't... your mind won't likely change. But a lot of it is centered around the building aspect -- in real life as well as in game. You don't have to build things IRL, but you're throwing out part of the experience and likely not getting your money's worth on an already expensive game.

It does some interesting things with the portal, too.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'm just glad they're still making regular LEGO games. Infinity was my one toys-to-life game - I have no desire to spend a million dollars to play LEGO's version.

camo_sig2.png
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    http://kotaku.com/sources-the-ambitious-now-cancelled-plans-for-disney-1776370484

Man, 4.0 was going to have a story mode where you could mix all the characters together.... :(

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    The story mode was the best part. I was a lot less excited by the planned characters.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    If all figures had worked with all playsets across all three versions, Disney would have stolen Nintendo's money making machine.

This is why I never got into it.

I have 3 daughters 4-10 and this was a constant issue. "I want to play as Elsa", well you cant because everyone rlse wants to play star wars. "I want to play cars" well you cant unless you go into the other room because wr only have one xbox 360 we are using as a netflix box in the bedroom and I cant afford to buy a seperate console to put in the man room just because they never bothered to port disney infinity 1.0 to xbox one.

If you have a Wii U you can grab the 1.0 software for free from the eShop.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Looks like Alice, Mad Hatter, and Time are all out.

Saw them at BB today when I grabbed Boba and FX Kylo.

I like the look of the Alice figure but I'm bitter that it's based on those awful Tim Burton films and not the classic 50s animated film instead.

FU7kFbw.png
    The fact that this Alice sequel may be Alan Rickman's final performance means I can't be too mad at it.

Also, I might have to get the Hatter just to get the Depp Triple Play.

Flash sale at BB. Some figures on further discount, along with starters and play sets (except for TFA).

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    This might shed some light on things:

Geez. At this point I'll be surprised if Activision keeps Skylanders going.

The same guy later said that the higher-ups at WB are pretty disappointed by how Lego Dimensions sold... given all the massive sales I'm guessing the problem is with the expensive packs.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    There is not a single property for Lego Dimensions that my daughter is into, otherwise I'd have loved to get that over Infinity. It's such a mishmash of stuff that late 20's/early 30's males are into, not really franchises that little kids are into these days. She has a bunch of Lego Disney Princess and Lego Friends sets, so it's too bad there's nothing based on those for the game.

There is not a single property for Lego Dimensions that my daughter is into, otherwise I'd have loved to get that over Infinity. It's such a mishmash of stuff that late 20's/early 30's males are into, not really franchises that little kids are into these days. She has a bunch of Lego Disney Princess and Lego Friends sets, so it's too bad there's nothing based on those for the game.

The one that jumps out at me that I really wish would get a standard LEGO game out of the Dimensions set is Scooby-Doo. For my wife and me there are more, but my kids would go absolutely nuts for a super-friendly Scooby-Doo game that they could play.

camo_sig2.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My daughter was crushed when I told her Infinity 4.0 was canceled. She loves Disney Infinity, even more than Skylanders (which she enjoys). It's the Toy Box mode, and being able to build her own worlds. Same reason she loves Minecraft.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    This might shed some light on things:

Geez. At this point I'll be surprised if Activision keeps Skylanders going.

The same guy later said that the higher-ups at WB are pretty disappointed by how Lego Dimensions sold... given all the massive sales I'm guessing the problem is with the expensive packs.

Isn't the "new" Skylanders game just a ccg based mobile game?

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Hm, I'd love to see a chart that factors in amiibo.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    I thought I heard that Skylanders is getting some kind of cartoon this fall. That might increase interest.

Also, I wonder if Disney made the decision based on the reaction to the no 4.0 this year announcement. Maybe they were hoping it would lead to more sales, or something, and that didn't happen.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Okay, so I knew the main draw for Battlegrounds was the 4-player arena fighting, but the single player is basically just that versus bots? For some reason I thought there'd be some other stuff to break up the combat like the other sets.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I thought I heard that Skylanders is getting some kind of cartoon this fall. That might increase interest.

Or not, considering how crap Sonic Boom sold. And that's with good viewership of the cartoon.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Or not, considering how crap Sonic Boom sold. And that's with good viewership of the cartoon.

Just like the Angry Birds movie, a Skylanders cartoon should have happened 2 years ago.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Okay, so I knew the main draw for Battlegrounds was the 4-player arena fighting, but the single player is basically just that versus bots? For some reason I thought there'd be some other stuff to break up the combat like the other sets.

In retrospect, Battlegrounds was probably a desperate measure to move some of the 2.0 Marvel stuff that was filling warehouses. (The "we made 2 million Hulks and only sold half of them" thing that got mentioned in one of the Infinity postmortems.) Not that we didn't get a really cool Cap figure out of it.

Okay, so I tried a couple more Toy Boxes. I know it's a "pro" level, but Captain America: Hydra Hunt makes me think there's a little more potential in the Toy Box than I thought. I might try the level maker myself after all. (I know there won't be a way to upload/share them for much longer).

edited May 2016
    I've never been able to get into the "Build your own game!" stuff no matter what it appears in...Little Big Planet, Super Mario Maker, Disney Infinity...my brain just blanks on all of them.

As an aside, I'm so torn on the alice figure. I love the look of the figure itself and it's a pretty damn good likeness of Mia Wasikowska in Infinity form, but it's tied to such a crap movie that I just can't bring myself to care.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    There's been several figures I've just had zero interest in. The Alice figures, the two from Big Hero 6, and everything from Inside Out.

kyrcl.png
    Had Alice, Hatter, and Maleficent been based on the classic animated versions my wife would have made sure they are in our collection. We skipped Maleficent and will be skipping all 3 of the Alice related figures.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    From a gameplay standpoint, Maleficent is pretty rad.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Sorry for the late notice, but Best Buy is having a one-day sale online. Like in the 60-70% off range for figures. Picked up 6 for ~$24.

Target has their figures on sale for $7 with another 30% off via Cartwheel. Playsets are 50% on sale. No additional discount on Cartwheel.

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Sorry for the late notice, but Best Buy is having a one-day sale online. Like in the 60-70% off range for figures. Picked up 6 for ~$24.

Was excited until I noticed they are all pretty much not available to order online, on the Canadian site at least.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Target has their figures on sale for $7 with another 30% off via Cartwheel. Playsets are 50% on sale. No additional discount on Cartwheel.

Thanks! I got the Finding Dory & Twilight of the Republic playsets and several random figures.

I also noticed they had a 30% off coupon on the Starter Packs, which were marked to 34.50 before the coupon so like $25 or so after. I can't imagine there are many people at this point who (a) have any interest whatsoever and (b) don't yet OWN the Starters, but mentioning for the sake of mentioning. :)

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Picked up the Rise Against the Empire set from BB for $12. The Infinity section was about 90% cleaned out from the earlier figure sale.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    Best Buy, assuming they have any figures you want, seems to be clearancing them out. I picked up a few figures last night for $4 and $5. And Target price-matches Best Buy so if you have better luck there you can get the same prices.

I grabbed:
    Darth Maul
    Kylo Ren
    Poe Dameron
    Zeb Orrelios
    Ezra Bridger
    Kannan Jarrus

And the playsets are on sale at Target as well. I got the Finding Dory playset for $15 and the Inside Out playset for $17.50.

camo_sig2.png
    I have all the Marvel and all the Star Wars. I think I'm done. I have random Disney stuff we like but I don't see myself going back and grabbing the Dory or Inside Out stuff at this point.

Some of the canceled figures looked amazing. Hera from Rebels is the one that hurts the most.

Comics, Games, Booze
    GOTG is the only set I don't have that I have any interest in. Bought TFA and RATE this week due to the sales.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Picked up 6 figures for <$25 at Target with the 60% of cartwheel deal.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    I think I'm pretty much done now.

All I really want now is Dash and Vader.

If they had managed to actually have some kind of forwards or backwards compatibility, I might have had some interest in all these 3.0 Marvel characters.