As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

bargue stuff[NSFW]

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    well it was an assignment from school.

"For this assignment you will use the found medium or found drawing material/tool listed on your supply list as: Anything else you can make a mark on paper with – traditional or not, use your imagination! Mud, rocks, food, rust and plants can all be sources of found media. Choose something that is not usually used to create marks."

It moved a lot like watercolor, aside from the staining. It was interesting for sure

Mr Tea.
    WP_000116_zpsceda8621.jpg

I tried using the levels tool in photoshop but it yellowed it quite a bit.

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    @iruka, is this what you mean? Or more like do a thumbnail to get the composition before starting a bigger one?

WP_000121_zps9cd03d59.jpg

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    This is a still life from my drawing one class. Works so much better with the makeshift matting I made out of newsprint than without it. Maybe 10 hours or so? I learned a lot about planning a drawing before taking off into it. And about value separation. Not HOW to separate things, but that it needs to be done. Anyone have any critique on how to accomplish better value separation?

WP_000123_zps9435dadf.jpg

@iruka, I'm still not sure if this is what you're talking about. Doing these are kind of fun in their own right. In one respect it's like a visual diary of my day, in the other respect, you can literally draw anywhere. Waiting in line at the store, at a traffic light (as a passenger :P) so you can draw all day :D
    bda2663d-a7e2-48b3-b3c0-a00e55fd4136_zps35d295e7.jpg

Some dudes faces. I feel so horrible. I can produce stuff like that still life up there but everything else I draw looks like shit.
    183933a7-ce8b-4fd3-93b3-55974a55d6b5_zpseeb2975c.jpg

I've nearly filled a sketchbook this week :O I should probably reign back the quick sketching and do more studying to aid in drawing better, not just drawing more. A problem has been arising in my quick sketching is that I fail to take the full composition into account and scale gets warped and skewed as a result. That's bad... Thoughts on that? Is that the right decision? I just got my classic anatomy book that @dversed recommended. So I'll probably start hammering that out.

ninjai on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Yep, slow down. Sketch just as often, by all means, but really try to do your best. Focusing on quality instead of quantity will teach you a lot more.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thats pretty much what I'm talking about, ninjai, basically just getting an idea of composition, and starting to apply that to your larger works.

I agree with lyrium, though, focus more of your attention into each individual work, and really try and take a lesson from each one.

edited April 2013
    Busted out them watercolors today, some worked, some didn't. Learned a lot :D

The model today at the open studio was incredibly fit and was able to hold the most ludicrous of poses for 10 and 20 minutes.
    WP_000129_zps7ed6721c.jpg
    WP_000128_zps5c0b2e20.jpg
    WP_000127_zpsd6efee26.jpg
    WP_000132_zps2f142986.jpg

I started my summer goal of sketching and painting architecture! It was such a beautiful day, I rode my excellent road bike downtown and picked out some spots to draw.
    WP_000141_zps45a32f76.jpg

I was going to watercolor this one, but I was invited somewhere, so I went.
    WP_000142_zpsc2c25a73.jpg

I was reluctant to upload this.

What happened was I had a really really bad figure drawing day a few weeks ago, a lot of things had gone wrong that week and to cap it off a bad drawing day. I was so frustrated with myself, It reminded me that my friend told me to stop beating myself up, so I drew a comic of me beating myself up. By the time I finished sketching the pencil I was over it, and decided not to finish it because I decided to move on and just draw more. Today I was flipping through some old sketches and found the pencil drawing of the comic, so I decided, hey why not practice inking lines with my new pentel brush pen?

So this isn't a pity party or anything, just something for fun. Sorry for the terrible quality, too big for my scanner. It's 11 x 14 and my scanner is only 9 x 10 or something like that
    WP_000145_zps6b0a4159.jpg
    WP_000146_zps9f844839.jpg

ninjai on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    For a bad drawing day, that comic is pretty solid!

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular

WP_000123_zps9435dadf.jpg

So this looks awesome dude...
    Your texture separation is more better than value anyways.

edited April 2013
    How do I practice loose lines? I feel like everything I do is very rigid and emotionless, when I see stuff like this that is super expressive
    http://tarosan.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/11nov20_annie05.jpg
    (marc taro holmes)

or this (not the whole video, just the stuff he's sketching)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ftIz7eicNUM#t=749s

That was my reason behind practicing quick sketches, but all it lead to was bad technique for me.

here's what I've got so far today. I'm going to go back and do some more anatomy stuff. Thanks again @dversed for the book.

WP_000163_zps79c87b1f.jpg
    WP_000161_zps1613eed1.jpg

On the bus
    WP_000160_zpsc876288d.jpg
    WP_000159_zps2609078b.jpg

Figure drawing today. What I've learned is MORE simplification and MORE water in the first wash because I'm using too much paint too early. idfk how to do color. I'm intimidated to try the stuff in the enrichment because I don't even know where to begin. My problem is less with composition using colors, rather whatdafuck colors do I use, and how do I get those colors.
    WP_000062_zps639b0150.jpg
    WP_000155_zpsf6059c55.jpg
    WP_000154_zpsbcf9e362.jpg

ninjai on
    WP_000165_zps8a839962.jpg

I think I'm done for tonight.

same question, how can I practice getting better at free lines, loosen up? My stuff looks like it's been starched, it's inexpressive, idk...

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    I think the main thing to do is exaggerate things slightly and add width to your lines where appropriate.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited April 2013
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    I think the main thing to do is exaggerate things slightly and add width to your lines where appropriate.

It's hard to exaggerate things when you're trying to analyze them and replicate them. I want to be able to reproduce something before I go distorting it at random. You could call what I'm doing already "exaggerating forms". I'll just call it shitty drawing until I'm doing it on purpose.

I'm not talking about line quality (the way it's usually explained to me, just varying line weight) I'm talking about the movement, the looseness of the motion of making the marks, not the types of marks that are made. How do I do that ? How do I practice that and improve? To reiterate, That was my reason behind practicing quick sketches, but all it lead to was bad technique

Like this
    it's free, it's loose, its amorphous for a long time until bam there it is.... idfk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouI8KXTdzhI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gJQyVfKZJg

like this (man fucking youtube. just skicp to 12:30)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ftIz7eicNUM#t=750s
    it is free, I'm not talking about line quality, I'm talking about expression in lines.

like this
    11nov20_annie02.jpg
    11nov20_annie05.jpg

ninjai on
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Notice that when they are drawing, 'loose' doesn't mean haphazard/reckless. They are still very deliberate about their marks, it just happens quickly because they are very very well practiced. Looking back at some of your life drawing and gestures, I think you have touched on some of this looseness that you're looking for. So how do you practice expressive lines? Well, easy answer- practice expressive lines. It sounds simple but I know that personally, it was a big deal to really realize that YOU are responsible for the lines you draw, what they look like, how they feel, where they are, etc. They don't just appear there on their own, so if you want them to look different, then be deliberate and try to draw them differently. This might mean the feel of the way you're using the pen/whatever is different. And really, take that dude in the video's advice and have fun! If you're sitting there angry with yourself trying to choke out a drawing like 'goddammit why isn't this loose and expressive!'... then yeah it's probably not going to look how you want.

edited April 2013
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Its the difference between "I understand that I need to focus on facial anatomy and expressions. Those are probably my weakest area" and "I have no idea what I'm doing, I don't deserve your praise, I'm so terrible, etc". One of those is a dispassionate, objective measurement of your capabilities as an artist, and will ultimately help you grow. The other is an excuse.
    Mynt wrote: »
    ninjai wrote: »
    Fugitive wrote: »
    ["Lacking confidence" is a slightly different beast than "constantly complaining about your work/deflecting praise" though. Every artist who has ever committed themselves to their work almost certainly has confidence issues...
    ...The ones who realize that in order for the praise to feel genuine, it needs to come in direct response to their work, not as a reflexive response to their constant self-inflicted browbeating.

Is acknowleging your faults really that bad? Maybe I should stop doing that. It's so hard though. When I recognize an area I need to improve, I do my best to point it out so that someone else doesn't point it out first, and then I feel bad.

Acknowledging them to yourself is fine. Publicly (like in a blog/tumblr post) acknowledging them before they are pointed out is something I try to avoid because as you've stated the only purpose is to make yourself feel better.

I guess I'm coming at this from a professional standpoint. There are many people who won't notice the same flaws in your work and still hire/commission you anyways. Whereas if you're pointing out your flaws at every chance, it already plants seeds of negativity in the viewer. Don't give people a reason to put points in the "bad" column.

Obviously I'm not saying that you should try to be purposefully misleading, but instead, stand by your presented work with pride no matter what level you're at. Could it be better? Of course it can, it can ALWAYS be better. But if you find a way to balance confidence with humility, you give yourself the best chance of being hired while you're improving.

Even in a critique setting... I've been taught to present my work, with maybe a little description of purpose, and let the viewers arrive at commentary on their own. If you show your work and the first things out of your mouth are "this, this and this are wrong" then you're robbing viewers the chance to open a dialogue about your piece. After that dialogue is underway, maybe you can start talking about things that you could have done better, and seek advice on how to proceed. But I don't feel that it should be in your opening statements.
    I am determined to turn this new leaf if I have to use a motherfucking forklift. I treat myself like shit when I do something that isn't up to my ridiculous standard, and I am committing myself to say nothing negative about my work in this thread again.

@lyrium I tried that out today, how'd I do?

This happened today. PLZ critique the comic if you don't critique anything else, I need some feedback on storytelling and things. I used my pentel brush pen for this, first time doing that for a comic or sketching or anything aside from playing with it. (supposed to say "Penis broken" but got ripped off when I was scanning it. )
    Untitled_zpse07ad4f9.png

Somethings I did on the bus today.
    WP_000176_zpsfc870620.jpg
    WP_000172_zps6c69f453.jpg
    This is after the events of the comic
    WP_000173_zps96392b3e.jpg

ninjai on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Here's the thing though.

They aren't replicating reality.

Replication is a totally different exercise.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    noodlin doodlin with my pentel brush pen.

WP_000179_zps9226d588.jpg
    WP_000178_zps843cce38.jpg
    WP_000177_zps15d48e98.jpg

@napppaccino, all I meant was I wasn't referring to line weight, more about the loose appearance of the lines, having a high visual energy to them.

edited April 2013
    I think I'm already making strides in the loosy goosy lines arena. Some turned out really well, like this first one :D thats it for today

WP_000184_zps430001ae.jpg
    WP_000181_zps976af45c.jpg
    b7b8ee86-b035-4c6c-beee-a82e626d1107_zps495b8aaf.jpg

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    Here are some things.

I like this one.
    b42e5e3b-da5b-4a8b-b655-3968e3fba62b_zpsd0b4c603.jpg

one finished, the other not.
    624418b0-f77c-405e-93ad-0dc2b8a8fdf1_zpsab93f06d.jpg

they really liked this when I shewed them.
    WP_000193_zps50742739.jpg

ninjai on
    pentel brush pen
    8658cf6d-359d-4a72-8f37-7a9ea166be5c_zps7cfdb7fc.jpg

edited April 2013
    3b93a323-345e-4e9b-88c0-e36a462ab08a_zps4c01dfbc.jpg

Here's a thing that I'm doing. It's a thing, and I'm doing it, here it is. roughly not anywhere near being done, when it is I'll go by kinko's and get it scanned properly.

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the awesome @h3ndu
    Sorry it's so light guys. Done in HB pencil (most of it. others done in india ink. Some with dip pens, others with brush and ink.)
    WP_000223-Copy_zpsce5154a4.jpg
    WP_000222-Copy_zps468f182b.jpg
    WP_000220-Copy_zpsfa3af134.jpg

WP_000215-Copy_zps3e95c140.jpg
    WP_000214-Copy_zps2c90ade3.jpg
    WP_000212-Copy_zpsb4577770.jpg
    WP_000211-Copy_zps334ed582.jpg
    WP_000210-Copy_zpsd4934a00.jpg
    WP_000209-Copy_zps45c5da2d.jpg

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    More sketching. My pen broke last week, bought some model glue to try to fix it and get back to using my favorite utensil.

How am I doing guys?
    Thanks for all the awesomes! I feel all encouraged now

I don't know the artist that did the original painting, but this is me sketching that. I've noticed a few improvements that I've made recently. I'm being much more confident with my lines, I'm seeing more before I put a mark down, and I'm reducing complex forms much easier these days.
    spanisharmada_zpsbac8699d.png
    rendezvous_zps2e8ca02c.png

If you're ever in Colorado Springs, go to Manitou springs, and go to Cliff House restaurant. Classy place.
    I really like the lines on the butter knife on the left.
    lunch_zps60f66181.png
    lunch2_zpsc77721c0.png

waiting for my friend to drop something off.
    afterlunch_zps23d532b2.png

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    Gah, I am having so much fun with ink. Brushes, dip pens, fountain pens, technical pens.... If you asked me a month ago about ink, I would have told you I don't want to do ink, and it's probably difficult. You gotta try this shit.
    WP_000229_zpse2c44c66.jpg

I used this as an opportunity to practice inking prexisting lines. What can I do better? It seems that just ink is easier for me.

WP_000230_zpsb41893b7.jpg
    bed time

ninjai on
  • McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    It'd be pretty choice to see more detailed versions of your studies, particularly the painted ones. At the moment they have a nice start but never quite reach a finish. Perhaps working from photo reference if having prolongued exposure to a model in one pose is not an option. :)

edited April 2013
    It'd be pretty choice to see more detailed versions of your studies, particularly the painted ones. At the moment they have a nice start but never quite reach a finish. Perhaps working from photo reference if having prolongued exposure to a model in one pose is not an option. :)

I agree, completely. Nothing that I have feels finished (except the 2 still life's from class). There are a few reasons for that, 1 being that I'm just not sure HOW to bring something to a finish. I get the likeness of my subject and call it good because I don't know where to go from there. It's like when my drawing 1 teacher talks about finishing touches on something, I have no idea what that means. And the other reason I think is because when I spend a really long time on a single piece, I feel like the outcome isn't worth the investment so i quit early.

That bit with the WW2 soldiers is something that I'm working on to try and "finish" something. So far it's about 20 pages, and I'm only on page 3 :P

ninjai on
  • SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    Of some of your newest stuff I really liked the drill sergeant one from a couple posts up. I'd also agree with @McJohnstable that I'd like to see what you can do by spending a little more time on something.

edited April 2013
    Thanks for all the encouragement guys, and spacemoose, thanks a lot. Just goes to show, don't judge your own work, let others decide the value of your work. I'm glad you like it :) I would love to do something finished, but like I said, I don't really no how. I want that comic thing with the soldiers to be finished as it can get, so I'm going to take as much time as I can on it, (or until I get bored probably... again.)

I just met the most beautiful woman, the most graceful I've ever met, and a name fitting the sight of her. Her last name is muse for chrissakes. This is what I could sketch of her, got her number though :)
    b4887a65-8949-4569-b519-0ce85b912787_zps2a32771b.jpg
    8f6a3a77-1f22-48cc-867c-fa3289b6378b_zps3b3bb7e6.jpg
    WP_000239_zpsc91ccfd4.jpg
    WP_000236_zps8d6838db.jpg
    WP_000238_zps93544acb.jpg
    WP_000235_zps8c0299be.jpg
    WP_000233_zps3d5689f4.jpg
    WP_000234_zpse5a1cde5.jpg

Didn't get very far on this. Sculpt study of venus.
    WP_000232_zps0877f77e.jpg

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the awesomes guys :) It's encouraging to know somebody likes what I'm doing.

here's more! Man ink is too fun. Well I'm off to a date with the girl I drew last night :)
    139a0b05-c8a4-40f1-a768-6806ca0bd8a4_zpsec171bf4.jpg
    WP_000244_zps08750388.jpg
    5a2318b4-06a6-4329-a224-584215a7c7fd_zps7148c7f4.jpg

[edit] The page length of the new forums is obnoxious. Trying to load a page on a mobile device takes forever because of all the gaddamn pictures.

ninjai on
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I like the jacket on that sake guy.

edited April 2013
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    I like the jacket on that sake guy.

hey thanks man. :) I had fun drawing him. Brushpens are just fun to use.

didn't have much free time today. Spent most of the day doing inventory at work. Took us a long time.

Here's what I got done before that.

Gonna give my best go at inking this, maybe throw in some watercolor if the inspiration takes me, gonna fix a few things that are bugging me first (right eye :C )
    WP_000248_zpsd6913825.jpg

ref
    $T2eC16ZHJGkE9no8iK0vBQ7OqLMf7w~~60_35.JPG

Is this what you guys meant by spending more time on something? Aside from observational stuff, I don't really know how to tackle spending a long time on something.

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    WP_000252_zps919f8685.jpg

I don't understand this song, but kpop is supposed to make you better at starcraft or something :P

I guess the dance actually comes from another K-pop video.

ninjai on
    edited April 2013
    Painting today. Trying to use some different techniques I've seen in videos n stuff.
    WP_000253_zps28f1dc9a.jpg
    WP_000256_zps063ff4f1.jpg

So I made a few changes to this, looks more like him now. I photocopied it so I could do a practice run of inking, and also because I decided I wanted to watercolor the original, which I'm about to go do.
    WP_000267_zps68bf0417.jpg
    WP_000275_zpse9f77d68.jpg

Same thing here. I photocopied because I'm still not very confident inking preexisting lines. Also, goddamn, @pineappleherb is so good. I don't know why I can sketch and doodle just fine with ink but drawing over lines is difficult?
    f0a8cd4b-feef-4a94-90a7-5aee17bf436f_zps1adb84b5.jpg
    803a3c6c-390b-4781-89aa-79d13d52c824_zpsadeca0df.jpg

On the bus today. Brush pen is fun but its hard to control.
    WP_000268_zps45512c79.jpg
    WP_000270_zps0b471d9d.jpg
    On the red hair girl, I need more ideas on how to create light and shadow with ink than just blocks or straight lines. The light looks wonky because I decided to not fill in the area and wanted to communicate the form instead.
    WP_000271_zps7bd42196.jpg
    WP_000272_zps9a70462c.jpg

ninjai on
    WP_000283_zps6fa262e6.jpg

:D
    I'm happy with this. Everything could be better but damn it was fun

edited May 2013
    Here are some things. Pencil and watercolor. Critiques? (please :C?)

WP_000287_zps5f102a87.jpg

I like the face here, thought the background got really muddy because of a mistake in not cleaning my brush before blocking it in. Also, goddamn, so many different shades, hues, values of blue, it was hard to get many of them anywhere near what I thought. Even testing them out on paper, they wound up really dark at the end.
    uploadthisone_zps6bf99337.jpg

WP_000288_zpsaa46bbfa.jpg
    I saw like purple in the shadows of the eyes, Idk if I made them too purple, for a bit while painting they looked like black eyes. And shit, looking at the original, his eyes are much farther set apart than that. damn
    thisone2_zpsc4e4e18a.jpg

ninjai on
    edited May 2013
    Learn something new everyday. Today I learned I know fucking nothing about photoshop. GO me! :D

so erm, sorry about the shitty quality photos again. My scanner won't scan unless the lid is completely flat. Rather it WILL scan, but it scans a completely black image, or one more distorted than these. Sorry :C

WP_000309_zps2adf7cd1.jpg
    WP_000308_zpsc94467cb.jpg
    asdf_zpsa1f38b85.jpg

ninjai on
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Your thread just became infinitely more handsome.
    love dem watercolours

• franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    I actually love the drawing you did of me. Thank you sir :)
    It looks like you are still working small, or you are making your lines fat on purpose. Try to work bigger so you can show more deliberate line variation. GL!!

edited May 2013
    So many drawings on one page :O

You guys are too kind :) Thanks a lot. Yes francium, I'm working pretty small, mostly because I don't feel very confident, so I scrunch up tight and draw tiny. :/ I neeeed to work bigger.

I got in one of my "i'm super terrible at this" moods today. I forced myself to draw nonstop anyway. Nothing much turned up, but I wanted to upload something from today. I filled a lot of paper, I probably spent more time today drawing than any other day.
    guffaw_zps57be8ffb.jpg

this was only about 10 minutes. usually when I get in these moods I do a comic. The last 3 times that has been the case.
    comic_zps75881cb0.jpg

barber_zpsba5e6f3a.jpg
    my barber today. Getting ready for drill this weekend.

ninjai on
    This is something that my favorite watercolorist and part time mentor just said in an interview.
    6) If you had to go back in time to tell the young Marc Taro Holmes two truths which would change his career and life for the better, what would they be?

Does future me look like Bruce Wills?

1 – Listen kid. It’s going to take you five solid years to learn to draw. No way around it. Sorry. That’s a fact. The sooner you start the better.

2 – And it’s going to work. If you give it five solid years you’re going to be good enough to work anywhere. So stop covering your ass. Forget learning 3D or what kerning is, or how to make a project schedule. You know you want to paint. So Paint. You don’t need anything else.

Awesome :D I'm on the right track.

edited May 2013
    From this weekend. Most of the comic type stuff was based on the classes we had to take, something said during the class, or a sidebar conversation about the subject matter. Some of it is illegible because I was writing with brush pen.
    3b1cd4a6-52c9-4eed-9b09-36287b775858_zps5afefd7a.jpg

c9453ab6-81f4-4cdd-918f-e8e18ca90eb4_zpsae626560.jpg

sketchaforumer_zps3824d30b.jpg

nicedress_zps6273890a.jpg
    "Hey just wanted to say I like your dress... Worth it!"

iwouldratherbe_zps7cdbf1d0.jpg

"Pass Gas"
    gas_zpsbd6b8ac8.jpg

"Drone Strike"
    dronestrike_zpsc14ed497.jpg

bangbangbang_zps83cb3a2e.jpg
    "Dude you were only supposed to shoot 3 rounds"

Today

busface_zps6dd90d76.jpg

busfaces_zps9bc69e4a.jpg

bussitter_zps2d3b106b.jpg

busstop_zps691cc1ba.jpg

I invented a new game waiting for the bus. It's called red light green light. Sit at a bench at a stop light and you have until they start moving to draw them :D
    cars2_zps6e5fee8e.jpg

cars_zpsb77cc7a2.jpg

shadesonthebus_zpsfd104b57.jpg

ninjai on