As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX IRC Bookclub - June/July book selected

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited June 2013 in PAX General Discussion
So we've decided to attempt to resurrect the PAX IRC book club using a combination of IRC and google hangouts.

We'll be discussing this primarily in our IRC channel, #pax_bookclub (an offshoot of #pax) on SlashNET

If you're not familiar with IRC, head on over here to get connected!

Books we've done:
Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds
A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Timequake, by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers
Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

The format is pretty informal. Sometimes we discuss via google hangouts, sometimes via the IRC channel. Depends on who is available at what time and on what medium.

Old thread is here.

Current info:
BOOK CHOICE: Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. Going with the recent Johnson translation in text form, as a reference point.

Discussion Meeting: Mid to late July

zerzhul on

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I'm in! Likely can't do Google hangout for the first one, but can thereafter.

I'm putting in suggestions for:

A Prayer for Owen Meany
    Swan Song
    The Master and Margarita
    We

(At least one isn't a depressing dystopia, so neener.)

chaosisorder on
  • BritalityBritality Registered User regular
    I'm in, but don't have any book preferences, though I read A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was back in HS, though, so I wouldn't mind a re-read.

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    Oh, right. I suppose I should post here seeing as this is way more persistent than IRC. My vote from chaos' list is Swan Song. Looks a-mazing.

fss_overall.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I might well be down for some reading action . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    If the timing is right (I try to avoid reading more than one book at a time), I might be on board for this.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    BOOK CHOICE: Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon

Discussion Meeting: The week of Feb 24th - March 2nd, we can make an exact meeting date a little closer to that week.

Out of curiosity, how many of you have read Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age already? Might make a good next choice, if many have not already read it . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    So yeah. Totally short book.

*whistles*

• illdrinnilldrinn Registered User regular
    I'm in, remind me though cos I get busy and forget ^_^

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    Why are we talking about Neal Stephenson if we're concerned about book length? :P That said, no, @Khadour I haven't. The only Stephenson I've read so far is Snow Crash. I'd be down for reading more of him. Cryptonomicon has been on my bookshelf for a year in the Queue of AGB.

*glares at chaos. With love.*

fss_overall.png
    Hey, Diamond Age is only 499 pages, vs. Swan Song at 864. Totally shorter. I promise.

xWDsUaZ.png

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I read like a goddamned beast- a book a week or more- so I'd really like something more than "Yo, on IRC we'll do this thing."

I'll click through your link, but I'll be really annoyed that I have to. Relevant details should be relevant... And obvious.

Edit:

Oh, it's the "Join PAX IRC and hope someone notices" rules again...

Sorry, too complicated (For a software engineer) so I'll pass. I'll work with or start a book club that doesn't use IRC. Sorry or wasting time.

Kiashien on
    The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Thank you, for resurrecting this, Zerzhul! I'll definitely be on.

Requirements to maximize literary enjoyment:
    Leather lounge chair (with matching foot rest)
    Fuzzy Winter Blanket
    Paint-Pail of Wine

*Edit* A friend's birthday is the 25th (tonight). I won't be able to make it to this one. Great book though! Fervently avoiding wikipedia, I was not expecting where any of the starting stories would go. I'm sorry to miss the gathering tonight, but I heartily look forward to the next book.

APacMan on
    We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • DanwdraDanwdra Registered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So we've decided to attempt to resurrect the PAX IRC book club using a combination of IRC and google hangouts.

We'll be discussing this primarily in our IRC channel, #pax_bookclub (an offshoot of #pax) on SlashNET

Books we've done:
    Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers

We're not 100% certain on the format yet, we're just sort of getting started. What we did before was one book per month, but we may want to change it to one book every 6 weeks or something like that.

Old thread is here.

Current info:

Discussion Meeting: The week of Feb 24th - March 2nd, we can make an exact meeting date a little closer to that week.

What is your latest book coming up? I have followed your old thread.

The info you are looking for is in the post you quoted.

Which also begs the fact that we are, in fact, a little closer to that week (since it's next week and all). When do we want to discuss?

xWDsUaZ.png

Ok, first tentative date to discuss is 2013-02-25, 2230 EST/1930PST

For anyone following the thread and not the IRC channel, conflicts? I'll also update as people chime in via IRC as well. We will likely use a google hangout, but that's still up in the air.

• DanwdraDanwdra Registered User new member
    Danwdra wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

Books we've done:
    Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers

We're not 100% certain on the format yet, led we're just sort of getting started. What we did before was one book per month, but we may want to change it to one book every 6 weeks or something like that.

Old thread is here.

Current info:

What is your latest book coming up? I have followed your old thread.
    Ok I will check it

• EarleyEarley juicyjones Seattle WARegistered User regular
    I'm interested. I like the list of books you've already read. I also read a short history of nearly everything last year and it was great. Do I PM you my G+ page? It should be in my sig I spose.

edited February 2013
    book club google hangout a success

folks attended: gilles, britality, chaosisorder, atomicgarybusey, zerzhul, khadour

Next book! The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson

Discussion week of March 31 - April 6, will set exact time the week prior.

zerzhul on
    We had a great discussion about Swan Song last night. I hope we have an even larger turnout for our next meeting! :D

fss_overall.png
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    Blerg, I'd love to keep up with this, but I'm just now at 25% through Swan Song. :? Oh well, I'm enjoying it, and can't imagine I'd have even heard of it otherwise, so thanks for that.

Well Swan Song is probably the longest book we'll do, so it should be easier to keep up as we keep going :)

Started The Diamond Age last night. If you enjoy the Deus Ex series, you're going to get hooked quickly on this. Like I did ^_^

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

I'm finally going to start this tomorrow. Nothing like procrastinating. Fortunately I read fast ;)

edited April 2013
    To start up the suggestions for next month's Post-Diamond-Age books to read, I suggest:

Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem
    Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salmon Rushdie
    Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson

Earley on
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Britality has been kidnapped by AtomicGaryBusey and is being held for ransom! Solve the riddle to set em' free, or I'll hand em' over to Clamps!

Not a day goes by without a post from me
    I am a CANINE, but have no fur
    There's many COMICS for you to see
    I am synthetic, but also a CUR
    Which forumer am I?

Do we have an official date/time for Diamond Age discussion?

We do not as of yet, but soooooon.

Finished Diamond Age ^_^

Whoops, forgot to post, our discussion will be Sunday April 7th at 2000 EDT.

Crap, I was too busy yesterday to join the discussion! I'm sad.

I'll be skipping this month. Dhalgren is one of the worst books ever written in English, by a wide margin. I used my copy as a footstool until recently, when I convinced Ay1ene to take it from me. It's a huge Black Eye for William Gibson that he wrote the intro in my edition, I try to pretend he didn't. I can only imagine that it was picked because none of you have actually tried getting through it -- it's terrible. :)

edited April 2013
    Looks like our trolling was effective :)

We are actually reading In Cold Blood by Truman Capote for April

Discussion will be the week of May 5-11

zerzhul on
    Best joke ever. I'm trolled!

It's looking like the book discussion meeting will be on Sunday, May 12 during the East coast's evening hours. I'll get an exact time locked down today. If you have an issue with Sunday, let me know via reply, PM or IRC.

fss_overall.png
    UPDATE: The May 12 book discussion did not happen due to last-minute conflicts. I am proposing a new tentative meetup time of Sunday May 19th @ 6PM Eastern / 3 PM Pacific. If anyone has a conflict let me know ASAP.

fss_overall.png
    UPDATE: It's looking like this weekend isn't too hot for turnout either, so I got a GDocs spreadsheet going so we can hopefully make this process a bit smoother. :)

Please list your book discussion availability here so we can lock down a discussion date/time: http://bit.ly/PAXBookclubSchedule

fss_overall.png
    Hey everyone! We finally had our In Cold Blood meeting. The new book is: Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. I'm going with the recent Johnson translation in text form, as a reference point. I'm sure @zerzhul can update OP in the near future. ;)

fss_overall.png
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    I'm in!

Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.