As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »
    What kind of game is this? Op gives very little info beyond review scores and I can't click a lot of links. Story sounds topnotch though.

It's a JRPG with active time battles. Story is very Saturday morning cartoon, nothing special, very been-there, done that.

The story is "Young boy saves the world with the help of his friends."

That being said, the presentation makes it probably the most charming game I've played in years, and the story doesn't treat the player like an idiot. It plays out like you'd expect a Ghibli film to. There are a lot of really interesting characters, and tons of super detailed touches as you go through the story.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote: »
    Well I beat it with about 45 hours played. Did a decent amount of side questing and collecting familiars... I could see a playthrough taking ~30 hours if someone just did the story.

I gave up on the combat though, at about the 30 hour mark. On paper I see how the system could work fantastically, but due to the AI it just doesn't happen. Not to say I had trouble with bosses... most was just nuking with Oliver while the AI team mates jacked off in the corner.

Fantastic game and some entertaining twists at the end. Having played through on normal, I would suggest people just put it on easy and enjoy the story. Midway through I did enjoy the combat, but later on it just fell apart... unless you want to micro manage a shitton which isn't really more effective than just nuking and cheesing things.
    I found Marcassin's AI to be pretty competent, actually. I'm fairly sure that's because he actually has a decent MP pool to go through, though.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    What kind of game is this? Op gives very little info beyond review scores and I can't click a lot of links. Story sounds topnotch though.

@Big Classy

It's pretty much what you expect it would be from a marriage of Level-5 and Studio Ghibli. The gameplay is fun, nothing revolutionary mind you but entertaining. The story is very pleasant and a nice change of pace from the typical angsty drama you find in these sort of games these days. It's light hearted, touching, and while a bit simple is done in such a clean way that it actually benefits from not being that complex.

The characters are fun, the familiars are charming, the AI could use some work, but honestly I personally haven't felt limited by it (And I rely almost entirely on my familiars in combat, only switching to Oliver on the rare occasion to heal or use a provision. I certainly never use him on bosses as my familiars are much better equipped I find)

The art style is gorgeous if a bit simple and stylized, but it works incredibly well. The locales you visit are varied, well designed and interesting, as well as the characters you meet there.

There is also an element of pokemon present in that you can collect many familiars (creatures you battle with and can have join you) in the course of the game and morph them into more powerful versions by levelling them up.

All in all a very solid little game, very pleasant, quite enjoyable, but if you are looking for some big deep complex game you probably won't find it here.

If you enjoy the style of Studio Ghibli moves at all (Ponyo, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc) or the gameplay of Level 5 games (Dark Cloud, White night Chronicles) you will most likely really enjoy this game and I would highly recommend picking it up.

If those sorts of things aren't really your style then I would probably pass.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »

It's a JRPG with active time battles. Story is very Saturday morning cartoon, nothing special, very been-there, done that.

This opinion on the story is the most terrible opinion I have read on this forum in at least a week.

It's also the most appropriate Geth tracking tag that I've seen to date.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Artereis wrote: »

That being said, the presentation makes it probably the most charming game I've played in years, and the story doesn't treat the player like an idiot. It plays out like you'd expect a Ghibli film to. There are a lot of really interesting characters, and tons of super detailed touches as you go through the story.

This exact story has been done many times before and much better. It plays out EXACTLY like the entire audience is mentally 6 years old. They belabour points repeatedly and boldly hint at upcoming plot twists constantly. If you want to call it charmimg, feel free, you can like it a lot, you aren't wrong to, that doesn't stop it from being incredibly run of the mill. The interesting characters are stereotypes that have been done done over and over and over and I, personally, haven't seen any of these super details people keep raving about but I'll be the first to say art is not my thing; I could very easily be missing them.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

This opinion on the story is the most terrible opinion I have read on this forum in at least a week.

Yeah, yeah, get in line.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's an awesome combination of Final Fantasy XII, Pokemon, and an old movie called Hugga Bunch.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

This exact story has been done many times before and much better. It plays out EXACTLY like the entire audience is mentally 6 years old. They belabour points repeatedly and boldly hint at upcoming plot twists constantly. If you want to call it charmimg, feel free, that doesn't stop it from being incredibly run of the mill. The interesting characters are stereotypes that have been done done over and over and over and I, personally, haven't seen any of these super details people keep raving about but I'll be the first to say art is not my thing; I could very easily be missing them.

To be fair though from day 1 you weren't really sold on the game if I remember correctly, and you also admitted you weren't really into Ghibli films at all which might be a factor. The game style is very reminiscent of that style of film, so if it's not something you like I can understand why you might not find the game that interesting either.

It's that very clean simplicity that most people do find charming, it's how well presented the story is, the pacing, the characters involved, the little quirks, etc. Sure the story has been done before (most games have these days) but it's the whimsical light heartedness that gives the game it's charm.

It's a breath of fresh air basically, and the game manages to capture that childlike sense of wonder and imagination quite well.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Question of the day:

Now that I have some guys that can evolve, where do I get the stones to do so?

• Options
    edited January 2013
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Question of the day:

For first tier evolutions, enemies will drop the orbs needed (they start out kind of rare, but end up really common in the midgame). For the second evolutions, you'll get them as quest rewards or you can make them through alchemy.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Can someone tell me: Did I screw up my Griffy? I haven't fed any of my familiars anything yet (except during the one story-forced situation). My Griffy is level 11 in first form. Should I have been feeding him all this time? I am not sure how this creauture cage stuff works.

Also, he likes Ice Cream, I know, but that's evasion. Wouldn't strength be better?

• Options
    Question of the day:

The wording of this post makes me giggle.

• Options

This exact story has been done many times before and much better. It plays out EXACTLY like the entire audience is mentally 6 years old. They belabour points repeatedly and boldly hint at upcoming plot twists constantly. If you want to call it charmimg, feel free, that doesn't stop it from being incredibly run of the mill. The interesting characters are stereotypes that have been done done over and over and over and I, personally, haven't seen any of these super details people keep raving about but I'll be the first to say art is not my thing; I could very easily be missing them.

To be fair though from day 1 you weren't really sold on the game if I remember correctly, and you also admitted you weren't really into Ghibli films at all which might be a factor. The game style is very reminiscent of that style of film, so if it's not something you like I can understand why you might not find the game that interesting either.

It's that very clean simplicity that most people do find charming, it's how well presented the story is, the pacing, the characters involved, the little quirks, etc. Sure the story has been done before (most games have these days) but it's the whimsical light heartedness that gives the game it's charm.

It's a breath of fresh air basically, and the game manages to capture that childlike sense of wonder and imagination quite well.

Actually I totally agree with everything you said with the Fairyland bit. That was hilarious all the way through; I loved it. The rest though, I've seen enough of enough times to not really affect me anymore.

The Ghibli thing is just the art syle I don't care for. That won't affect if I like the game/story or not; Romancing Saga had the worst designed characters EVER ANYWHERE but it was still one of my favourite games.

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Can someone tell me: Did I screw up my Griffy? I haven't fed any of my familiars anything yet (except during the one story-forced situation). My Griffy is level 11 in first form. Should I have been feeding him all this time? I am not sure how this creauture cage stuff works.

Also, he likes Ice Cream, I know, but that's evasion. Wouldn't strength be better?
    No, you're fine. The stat boosts from feeding don't affect the stats they get when they evolve because they're just automatically applied (possibly after) so all points carry over in full. Griffy's favorite is Ice Cream which does raise evasion but evasion honestly is one of the less important stats--especially for a beast like Griffy, so I'd suggest giving him something else (Chocolate for attack is a good one, or Cakes, Sundaes, or Flans if you want to go that way) until he hits his stat limit, then start feeding him Ice Creams for the heart boost so you can raise his other stats more instead.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

No, you're fine. The stat boosts from feeding don't affect the stats they get when they evolve because they're just automatically applied (possibly after) so all points carry over in full. Griffy's favorite is Ice Cream which does raise evasion but evasion honestly is one of the less important stats--especially for a beast like Griffy, so I'd suggest giving him something else (Chocolate for attack is a good one, or Cakes, Sundaes, or Flans if you want to go that way) until he hits his stat limit, then start feeding him Ice Creams for the heart boost so you can raise his other stats more instead.

Oh so it's not a limit of 10 hunger? That subsides after awhile?

Basically: There's no danger un feeding things to familiars because you can't screw it up? Is that right?

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »

Oh so it's not a limit of 10 hunger? That subsides after awhile?

Basically: There's no danger un feeding things to familiars because you can't screw it up? Is that right?
    Yeah, they lose fullness as they're used in battle (I think it's just one fullness per battle--not sure if they need to actually be out doing something or not)

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Also, for people that really like overleveling (like me shh). Here's a list of the Toko/Metal Slime equivalent monsters:
    Toko: Ugly Duckling Isle, southernmost island in the chain of islands north of the Summerlands (Ding Dong Dell, etc) -- Need the Boat, 2000 experience per kill
    Tokotoko: Billy Goat's Bluff-South, along the road to Perdida (north of Hamelin, same continent) -- Need to fly, 9000 experience per kill
    Tokocold: Ivory Tower, last dungeon in the game -- 26000 (!) experience per kill

Also it looks a little like a tiny Totoro, so that's a bonus too.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    They can only get 50 stat points in total, right? So the only "screwing up" is if you feed them food for stats you don't want them to have.

• Options
    CowShark wrote: »
    They can only get 50 stat points in total, right? So the only "screwing up" is if you feed them food for stats you don't want them to have.

I believe so yeah.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    All I can say is after replaying FF9(which we both consider one of the most charming and great JRPGs), my wife and I jumped right into this and we're loving it so far. We're not far into it, but it has a ton of charm so far and the gameplay is fun enough.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    @Magic Pink

Also keep in mind the story was designed FOR children and people who wanted to get caught up in a child's story for the sake of feeling young and the whimsy.

This is straight from the developer's mouth.

It's supposed to give you that Disney feeling that you can still enjoy as an adult even if you know exactly where the story is going from the start.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    So I just realized last night that my Clinkity Clank removes the bolts from his head and beats people with them. He is fast becoming one of my favorite familiars.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    @Magic Pink

Also keep in mind the story was designed FOR children and people who wanted to get caught up in a child's story for the sake of feeling young and the whimsy.

It's supposed to give you that Disney feeling that you can still enjoy as an adult even if you know exactly where the story is going from the start.

Well, it didn't for me. It's definitely a great story for a kid but it's severly lacking in that quality that makes Disney movies great to watch at any age.
    with the obvious exception of the LET'S TRY ON SUNHATS bit

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    @Magic Pink

Well, it didn't for me. It's definitely a great story for a kid but it's severly lacking in that quality that makes Disney movies great to watch at any age.

That because the soulless pit you call a heart is just a black hole for imagination and whimsy!

Nah I'm just kidding, sorry you didn't get the same experience out of the game though :(

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    @Magic Pink

That because the soulless pit you call a heart is just a black hole for imagination and whimsy!

Nah I'm just kidding, sorry you didn't get the same experience out of the game though :(

MY TRUE FORM REVEALED

cheney%20twn.jpg

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

This exact story has been done many times before and much better. It plays out EXACTLY like the entire audience is mentally 6 years old. They belabour points repeatedly and boldly hint at upcoming plot twists constantly. If you want to call it charmimg, feel free, you can like it a lot, you aren't wrong to, that doesn't stop it from being incredibly run of the mill. The interesting characters are stereotypes that have been done done over and over and over and I, personally, haven't seen any of these super details people keep raving about but I'll be the first to say art is not my thing; I could very easily be missing them.

Yes, we all know it's a JRPG.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    there's this thing a few people on this forum do where they think their bad opinions are like a badge of pride because they're really edgy but really they are just bad opinions and they are not comic book anti-heroes or anything like that.

i mean really "get in line" are you going to explain to me your master plan about having your next terrible opinion now

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    there's this thing a few people on this forum do where they think their bad opinions are like a badge of pride because they're really edgy but really they are just bad opinions and they are not comic book anti-heroes or anything like that.

Opinions are opinions, you can't have a "bad" opinion.

I mean, unless you're saying "My opinion is black people are all thieves" or something.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I mean, unless you're saying "My opinion is black people are all thieves" or something.

no dictionary.com, there are definitely bad opinions all around you.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

Look, sorry people don't like the game you do. That doesn't make them bad.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Look, sorry people don't like the game you do. That doesn't make them bad.

Look, sorry you don't like that I have the opinion that those opinions are bad.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    If there are no such things as bad opinions, then having the opinion that other people have bad opinions can't be wrong, and thus there are bad opinions. You just got opinion inceptioned.

Thing is, in real life if you have a friend who tells you that what you like is stupid and only what he likes is cool, we call him a dick and don't talk to him. On the internet, that's just 90% of people, especially on forums, where it's 10% fun times discussing things you enjoy with other like minded folks, and 90% dodging bullets from people who visit threads on things they don't like to tell others why they also shouldn't like them. =P

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    If there are no such things as bad opinions, then having the opinion that other people have bad opinions can't be wrong, and thus there are bad opinions. You just got opinion inceptioned.

Thing is, in real life if you have a friend who tells you that what you like is stupid and only what he likes is cool, we call him a dick and don't talk to him. On the internet, that's just 90% of people, especially on forums, where it's 10% fun times discussing things you enjoy with other like minded folks, and 90% dodging bullets from people who visit threads on things they don't like to tell others why they also shouldn't like them. =P

To be fair an opinion can be wrong (I think the sky is green) but it's still an opinion, it's what that person thinks about something. It's ok to have differing opinions, it just gets into a bit of a mire when people feel like their opinion is somehow inferior to others, or when they feel like they are being insulted because they hold a particular opinion.

I can't say Magic Pink is wrong, because it's how he personally feels about the game. I can offer my view though as an example of a differing opinion, but I am trying not to belittle his opinion because honestly it's not like i'm going to suddenly make him feel differently about the game.

But our discussion on the subject is good for people who are lurking in the thread or are curious about the game because it gives them different viewpoints with which they can decide if it is worth the investment to check the game out or not.

I do agree that people coming into a thread and telling people they shouldn't like a game is silly though. It's all about the phrasing.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Oh yeah, no doubt. I didn't intend to say someone in this thread who didn't like the game is just being a troll. It could just be they didn't enjoy it but want to discuss why with others to maybe identify what may not have worked for them, or maybe just to discuss their thoughts without any negative intent. It's totally legit.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Well, a car made of cheese is pretty bad at car-stuff. In some sense, maybe it isn't a bad car. At least you could eat it in an emergency. But it's not unreasonable to call it a bad car.

What's your opinion made of? Is it made of cheese? Nonsense? Halftruths? Is it made of dumbness? Is it made of accurate understanding? Math-deficiency?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Well, a car made of cheese is pretty bad at car-stuff. In some sense, maybe it isn't a bad car. At least you could eat it in an emergency. But it's not unreasonable to call it a bad car.

What's your opinion made of? Is it made of cheese? Nonsense? Halftruths? Is it made of dumbness? Is it made of accurate understanding? Math-deficiency?

It's made of off-topicness of a white dwarf level density and is probably better off being finished up now.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

Ultimately though it's your opinion, which is typically made up of personal experience in this case. He played the game, liked some parts, didn't like other parts, overall thought it was "Meh" and posted as such.

There is a lot that goes into that beyond just the experience of the game though, it's his experience with other games, how he felt when he played the game, what external factors may have influenced that (Maybe he just had an argument with a friend and it carried over into the game, maybe he had a great day at work but the game seemed pale by comparison)

A lot of these factors are subconscious and we just describe them as the overall feeling we get from playing the game. It doesn't actually matter much what cause him to form the opinion he did, as his opinion is the result of it regardless.

Explanation to the cause though can help others understand where he is coming from and see if they might formulate the same opinion based on his experiences.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    @Big Classy you know me and my tastes and I tell you this game is awesome. Now go buy it and play it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I would say that "the sky is green" is a belief, not an opinion. An opinion is a subjective, qualitative assessment of something ("the sky sucks"). I don't think the color of something fits that definition.

The word "bad" is nebulous and subjective on its own. I would say that opinions (excluding beliefs) cannot be wrong, but they can be: based on ignorance, based on prejudice, immature, not well-reasoned/illogical, and so on. I think it's fair to call such opinions "bad" - but it's probably better to indicate why you think an opinion is bad than to just say that, because calling an opinion "bad" without explanation is a meaningless statement.

• Options
    I would say that "the sky is green" is a belief, not an opinion. An opinion is a subjective, qualitative assessment of something ("the sky sucks"). I don't think the color of something fits that definition.

The word "bad" is nebulous and subjective on its own. I would say that opinions (excluding beliefs) cannot be wrong, but they can be: based on ignorance, based on prejudice, immature, not well-reasoned/illogical, and so on. I think it's fair to call such opinions "bad" - but it's probably better to indicate why you think an opinion is bad than to just say that, because calling an opinion "bad" without explanation is a meaningless statement.