As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation [Released!]

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Finished the campaign tonight.
    Anybody else take comfort in the guy who started all that 'dance with the angels' shit being presumed dead? It'd be poetic justice, if there was anything poetic about this script in the first place.

About the ending:
    Hate to break it to you, but Shamrock is definitely alive at the end. He's the one in the wheelchair. And of course Matilida, the actual person who started the "dance with the angels" is indeed alive.

Wait, what?
    He starts flipping out over his wife and daughter in Mission 14, and his wife's name is not Matilda.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Cantido wrote: »
    Anybody else take comfort in the guy who started all that 'dance with the angels' shit being presumed dead? It'd be poetic justice, if there was anything poetic about this script in the first place.

About the ending:
    Hate to break it to you, but Shamrock is definitely alive at the end. He's the one in the wheelchair. And of course Matilida, the actual person who started the "dance with the angels" is indeed alive.

Wait, what?
    He starts flipping out over his wife and daughter in Mission 14, and his wife's name is not Matilda.
    Not the same guy.
    An early video (after the first or second mission) shows here apparently looking at her husbands wreckage. I think the implication that Garuda, Shamrock, and the rest all knew him. Probably in their squadron.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

About the ending:

Wait, what?
    Not the same guy.
    An early video (after the first or second mission) shows here apparently looking at her husbands wreckage. I think the implication that Garuda, Shamrock, and the rest all knew him. Probably in their squadron.

And who is the POW character? I am now officially mixing these people up now.

Cantido on
  • Options
    ObstSkwerlObstSkwerl Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    explanation on plots:
    Melissa's husband gets KIA'ed at the beginning of the war. POWs are nothing special, just characters who spam go dance with the angels lollll. Shamrock's daughter and wife both got killed. Shamrock ended up in the wheelchair and presumably became the replacement daddy for those bunch of kids in the ending given they were all orphaned. So that's what Talisman has been fighting for... just to become a replacement daddy on wheelchair.

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I was playing through the campaign, and needed a rest from the "angels, dancing, angels, blah blah" script. I decided to play some Bioshock instead.

First thing I hear when I load my save is "Hurry up, Mr. Bubbles, I can see angels dancing in the sky!" :|

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This game needs more anime bullshit. There should be a final boss superplane that is powered by the blood of Christ or something.

Cantido on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This game needs more anime bullshit. There should be a final boss superplane that is powered by the blood of Christ or something.

Want more anime? Get that Idolmaster SU-33. Fucker's got missles with GREEN Contrails.

It's nice to be able to pick out your attacks in the middle of a CF though.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nocren wrote: »

Want more anime? Get that Idolmaster SU-33. Fucker's got missles with GREEN Contrails.

God, that thing is femmy. Eugh. Wish the shot of it they put in the DLC section gave a better idea what it actually looks like. I got roped in, figuring it's a Flanker, how unsightly can it possibly be?

I do love the new Mirage 2000 variant, though. Extremely fast airplane, and holds airspeed well in tight turns. Both ideal for my preferred tactics. Superfighters can have their turning contests, bleeding energy and altitude. I zoom in and pick them off, then disengage for another attack run.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    KaimetsuKaimetsu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I havnt played a flying game since Crimson Skies and i'm feeling the irresistible urge to own the skies once more. As a huge fan of Crimson Skies, the Rogue Squadron games and the X-wing games will i love Ace Combat 6? Is the multiplayer pure concentrated awesome or will i be dissappointed? The sky is calling to me and i must know if Ace Combat 6 will satisfy my needs.

Kaimetsu on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    JUST BUY IT!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    JUST BUY IT!

FINE THEN! MAYBE I WILL!

Actually i'll be out the door in less than an hour to pick it up. I am suffering from i have to fly around and blow stuff up itis.

Kaimetsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Should i buy the flightstick? Is it great and will it work with other games? I can't find much information about it.

Kaimetsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kaimetsu wrote: »
    Should i buy the flightstick? Is it great and will it work with other games? I can't find much information about it.

There aren't many games that it'd work on, but it supposed to work with a pc with minimal effort. I bought it for the novelty, but i think you could live without it. IMHO, it makes the game significantly harder :P

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey, Just got Ace Combat X!!!

I have no 360 D:

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I still don't have this game and that is a tragedy.

Fuck you guys for unearthing this thread. I just bought COD4, Assassin's Creed, Conan, Mass Effect, and Rock Band.

I DON'T NEED TO SPEND ANY MORE GOD DAMN MONEY.
    God, I'm going to buy it aren't I?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Fuck you guys for unearthing this thread. I just bought COD4, Assassin's Creed, Conan, Mass Effect, and Rock Band.

You're a filthy rich columbian, you can swing it.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

You're a filthy rich columbian, you can swing it.

What is this? What are you doing?

Don't you justify this to me!
    It's awesome isn't it? I'm missing out on absolute awesome, aren't I?

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone have any pictures of the joystick, i'm trying to justify buying it and i need help. I can just imagine setting up a virtual cockpit from which to kick ass.

Kaimetsu on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kaimetsu wrote: »

There aren't many games that it'd work on, but it supposed to work with a pc with minimal effort. I bought it for the novelty, but i think you could live without it. IMHO, it makes the game significantly harder :P

It takes a while to get familiar with the button layout, and you'll wonder why they included buttons that don't do anything. There is a terrible dead zone, which also takes getting used to. There's also the fact that its $90 (excluding the cost of the game.) Once you overcome those frustrations, though, I think its worth it.

It should be recognized as a wired 360 controller in other games/dash, and probably even on the PC, so the button mappings on the box would be your reference on how to configure it in another game. Only AC6 appears to recognize it as a flightstick.

(edit) Ahh, the other issue, where do you put the thing. I have a raised coffee table that I place the two parts on, and sit very close to the coffee table. Its not very comfortable, but works for short play times (1 hour). It'd be ideal on two smaller tables sitting on each side of my chair.

Also, I would note that I have not put a heck of a lot of time in with the game. I've played a few SP missions and played the first online co-op mission enough to finally clear it.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Forgot about this thread. Finally came out in the UK last week, and just polishing off my first run through in normal to get back into things.

Happiness is an A-10 with rockets.
    Well, up till I found myself taking on multiple SU-33 because my wingman got a cobb on... Thank-god for six barrels of 30mm loving.

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I have no 360 D:
    So what you're saying is that you have a PSP?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/19/ace-combat-6-flight-stick-bundle/

This thing looks cool, but i'm still on the ropes about spending 90 bucks on it. I guess it's worth it if it can be made to work on PC games though.

Kaimetsu on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

I have no 360 D:
    So what you're saying is that you have a PSP?

Pretty much, yeah. I didn't even buy it, it was a birthday gift from my sister.

I do want a 360 though.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    http://www.acecombat.jp/ace6/mp_cnt07.html
    New DLC content. Pixy, Cipher, and Mobius paintscheme. Oh my!

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ObstSkwerl wrote: »

I have two complaints about the DLC for this game:

1. The paint schemes are only visible to other players if they also downloaded the paint scheme.
    2. They have made it very difficult to differentiate between an additional plane or just a paint scheme when you try to purchase them.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    ObstSkwerl wrote: »

I have two complaints about the DLC for this game:

1. The paint schemes are only visible to other players if they also downloaded the paint scheme.
    2. They have made it very difficult to differentiate between an additional plane or just a paint scheme when you try to purchase them.

I don't care, i want my mobius scheme.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    DAMMIT!!! Thought I missed something then saw that 12/20 date on there.

Who knows, maybe giving Shamrock's Pixy's F-15 might actually improve his abilites.

WOAH! Does the Mobius F-22 take a hit in defense.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    all ace combat fans are obliged to reenact PICKSY vs CIPHAR
    It's the only way.
    Also, have all the aces from the previous game, cipher, pixy, mobius 1, yellow squadron, garuda 1 duked out in a free for all.......
    there's no other way.

ObstSkwerl on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    FUCKIN A!

So I'm at that ONE part in mission 13. WTF MAN???

Any advice? Not getting hit seems to be not working worth shit.

For the record, I'm on Hard, flying in Mobius-1 and Shamrock's flying Pixy

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Duders. It is looking likely I will be receiving this for the upcoming quasi-religious holiday.

So excited.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    OH SH

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Duders. It is looking likely I will be receiving this for the upcoming quasi-religious holiday.

So excited.

me 2!! HI5!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    More stuff on the site.

Team Battle DLC on the 27th

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    FUCKIN A!

I usually tried to assist the flotilla in the harbor. That way when the drones show up, I have a little ESM coverage to assist with missile target and tracking. Otherwise it's flying in constant, but random circles. I also target the main prick and order Shamrock after him. It keeps him busy/occupied while I try to kill as many drones as possible.

Frankly, I hate that mission. At least the second half.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FUCKIN A!

I usually tried to assist the flotilla in the harbor. That way when the drones show up, I have a little ESM coverage to assist with missile target and tracking. Otherwise it's flying in constant, but random circles. I also target the main prick and order Shamrock after him. It keeps him busy/occupied while I try to kill as many drones as possible.

Frankly, I hate that mission. At least the second half.
    Guns. Guns guns guns. Just spam missles, because the dude pretty much hovered over the landing strip when I fought him so it was easy to get just another 200. Still, I probably did 60% of the damage with my machine guns.

Pb on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sorry to bump this from so far back, but I just played through again on hard to get the secret plane and...
    The Nosferatu has to be one of the most overpowered things I've used in a game in a long time. As far as I can tell it's only second to FF Tactics' Orlandu in pure destructive power. It's absurd. When I first got it I thought "18 missles? That's not a lot of shots!" and then I used it and oh man.

Crazy times.

Pb on
  • Options
    PredatorPredator __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I finally got the game.
    So far finding it pretty easy for an Ace Combat.
    And thats on hard.
    Online seems damn fun. GT is Thrillhizzle if anyone ever wants to play.

Predator on
    1330my4.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this from so far back, but I just played through again on hard to get the secret plane and...
    The Nosferatu has to be one of the most overpowered things I've used in a game in a long time. As far as I can tell it's only second to FF Tactics' Orlandu in pure destructive power. It's absurd. When I first got it I thought "18 missles? That's not a lot of shots!" and then I used it and oh man.

Crazy times.

That's why the missiles are not allowed in online play. Without them, it's actually -balanced-. It's not as maneuverable as the SU-47 and the F-22.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mission 13 is where it got hard for me. Like, stupidly hard.

Anyone download the Team DLC? What's in it, how do the maps compare, stuff like that.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So does anyone still play? Got this with my 360 (around the end of November) and the single player is fun, if annoying at times, but I can't seem to find much for online, maybe one or two games every day.

Docshifty on