As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Allow yourself to be something other than human-Let's Play Deus Ex Invisible War

2»

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I don't quite get how they managed to screw up attaching you to your home office so badly. That's like, the number 1 thing that Deux Ex did so so right - you hop off the helicopter and then leap right into an awesome mission where you get to shoot dudes, sneak around, and kill dudes by hacking all the turrets - and then you get to roll on in and enjoy the home office. The game had a wonderful sense of pacing with it's story.

electricitylikesme on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I don't quite get how they managed to screw up attaching you to your home office so badly. That's like, the number 1 thing that Deux Ex did so so right - you hop off the helicopter and then leap right into an awesome mission where you get to shoot dudes, sneak around, and kill dudes by hacking all the turrets - and then you get to roll on in and enjoy the home office. The game had a wonderful sense of pacing with it's story.

I know!

Dishonored does fine, Human Revolution does a good job, even the System Shock games encourage you to make spots to hunker down and collect your thoughts. But Invisible War discourages any kind of connection with your environment. You get run out of town on a rail every couple of missions, so why care about anything?

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Very well stated.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Great post
    Its actually hard to think of characters in this game who aren't assholes. I mean really hard. Some are more assholes than others, Templars, Saman (Saman is such an asshole he gets his own entry. I don't think you even have to kill him for most endings. But he is such an arrogant prick it is hard not to kill him.) Even the characters from the original game are now assholes. JC "You will be assimilated" Denton. Paul "I'm a secondary character and don't you forget it" Denton and Tracer"I was kind of a manipulative dick in the first game so this isn't that big a change" Tong. The apostlecorp people are literally fanatics for JC's plan. The illuminati are giant corrupt dicks. And the templars. Oh the fucking templars. The only non-dick people in game are some of the Cairo Tarsus students. That is it.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Everyone is trying, to get to the bar
    To: Chairman Dumier

Regarding: There is a man with a gun pointed at my head making me write this. I think he is very drunk.

Dear Mr. Dumier. I am aware you have a number of more pressing matters as chairman of the WTO, but apparently you recently hired a freelancer? He is in my office right now, and he asked me to write an itemized invoice for services rendered. Or at least, that seems to be his intent. He is, as I stated, inebriated to the extreme.

His story appears to be that he arrived on Trier because his, quote "shitty bargain bin pilot" was headed in this direction anyway, and "there might be security work, so what the hell".

8563931866_946082a5d2_b.jpg

On arrival, he immediately stumbled towards the main SSC compound, where security for your summit with the Order was being arranged. (He is calling them "those illuminati guys. No, the other ones." I have no idea what he is talking about.)

8563931858_d7a72b4177_b.jpg

He then, apparently, found the commander of the facility, and asked for work on grounds that "I am the best at murder. Like, I know that a lot of guys are good at murder, but seriously, so good at murder. And I've only been doing it for, what, a week? Two?"

I doubt his claims that anyone in the WTO would hire a self confessed psychopath, but I am passing along his claim because, again, he has a weapon aimed in the general direction of my skull.

8562827453_00e6dfd28c_b.jpg

He claims that his discussions with the chief merited a fifty credit consultant fee. I have no idea why, but here it is, on the invoice.

50 credits. Consultant fee.

8563931702_b42b27fd86_b.jpg

And now he wants 50 more for settling a dispute between Order seekers and Panzerworks employees on the way in with "not actually lethal" force. I think he wants it written down as a... good Samaritan credit. Which seems to defeat the whole purpose, but fine.

50 credits, good Samaritan bonus. (He also claims that he killed a cyborg rat on the premise that was shoving around heavy barrels as if they weren't there, but that one, apparently, was pro bono. For some reason. )

8562827463_8471511f6d_b.jpg

Oh, and now he says he... broke into the evidence locker and stole everything not nailed down. Which isn't the sort of thing you would confess, I'd think, let alone...

ah. He's saying it pointed out a flaw in your security. Another hundred credits.

100 credits. Security Investigation

8563931442_a27c22b4e1_b.jpg

...And now he's telling me how Queequegs and Peequods are both owned by the same company, and the whole thing is, quote "a big international conspiracy. And shit. I am sober. So fucking sober you have no idea. I am so fucking sober..."

I'm sorry for wasting your time. But I'm not in the best position at the moment.

8562827163_00a6398e78_b.jpg

And now he's just talking about electroshocking prisoners in the Trier facility, and how funny it was. He wants to know how often you did it, to "let off stress."

8562827277_e1eed3d6b8_b.jpg

Oh. Better still. Puns. "A shocking stay in prison" "I guess you could say it was an 'electrifying' interrogation". "I just hit you balls with 10,000 volts!"

He is making me write all of them down.

8563931416_f7db63bce0_b.jpg

Right. He was present for your interrogation of Saman, behind the one way mirror. Or, he claims, it had to be one way, since he was frantically gesturing to indicate an offer to shoot Saman in the head with a railgun if you would be willing to pay. As Saman turned out to be involved with the Templar, he now would like a 1,000 credit fee to compensate for the psychological trauma of not killing him right there, to your mutual disadvantage.

1,000 credits. Mental trauma

8562827073_46b2148cd4_b.jpg

Apparently, you hired him immediately after, or failed to hire him in such a way as to indicate hiring. He then proceeded to hunt down Tracer Tong(?) on your orders (or not your orders) for the next several hours.

8562826823_b5ab134424_b.jpg

This, somehow, involved hacking into a number of private bank accounts

8563931152_1688bd4b74_b.jpg

"Breaking the Pequod conspiracy wide the fuck open"

8563931090_0573d83003_b.jpg

And stealing a pet greasel for use in underground fight rings. I can't follow his reasoning, but he claims it was "holistic detective stuff. Or whatever" and merited another 527 credits.

527 credits. Inscrutable underpinnings of the universe investigated.

8563930946_7f2a89f56a_b.jpg

900 credits. "Booze money".

8562826645_d3b08b2bb6_b.jpg

300 credits: Building black market contacts.

8562826633_f298350c69_b.jpg

At some point, he apparently met with Tracer Tong. He did not appear to find the conversation pleasant. The phrase "nerd" was thrown around, as was "poindexter" and "won't shut up!"

8563930626_2f35d0079e_b.jpg

I'm sure he mentioned it to you, if your contact with him isn't entirely fictional.

Then, he claimed you sent him to settle a "diplomatic inscident." Templars kidnapping a high ranking Order delegate or similar. This, apparently, involved violence.

8562826377_4aa4227416_b.jpg

A lot of violence.

8563930556_d5df2e734f_b.jpg

500 credits worth of violence.

8563930276_e12b2cd594_b.jpg

He then claims to have rescued your "Girlfriend". "Whasserface. The woman who does the televangelist thing. You and her are banging. I know all about it."

When I asked if he meant Her Holiness, leader of the Order, he nodded. Again, I have no idea what he's talking about.

Oh, good. He's using that as a cue for all the lewd sexual descriptions he knows. Delightful.

He wants 3,000 for "Fuckbuddy rescue services".

8562825855_e1520050b5_b.jpg

And 3,000 more for... Not revealing the Order and the WTO are the same thing and have been all along.

Oh, now he's wondering if I know too much. He's muttering something about "blackmail being an ugly word" and "The X makes it sound cool."

8562826055_c957a5a8c4_b.jpg

...And now he's saying something about aliens. No, I don't think I know too much. At all.

Total bill comes to 9,427 credits. Cash.

...He also wanted to attach a picture.

8563929852_276846db4d_b.jpg

...Please send the cash, Mr. Dumier. Quickly.

ExtreaminatusJusticeforPlutoRchanenCaptain CarrotMild Confusion
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The genuine problem with this game is the total lack of any consequences whatsoever for your actions. I am curious, have you tried the "murder absolutely everyone" playthrough yet? Because a lot of your problems you mentioned on the previous page are really exposed when you actually do that. For example, what do you think people do when you massacre a school full of children?
    Scold you for being terrible and oh, by the way we need you to do this for us...

Invisible Wars world is only believable if you are a sociopath.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    chiasaur11
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The genuine problem with this game is the total lack of any consequences whatsoever for your actions. I am curious, have you tried the "murder absolutely everyone" playthrough yet? Because a lot of your problems you mentioned on the previous page are really exposed when you actually do that. For example, what do you think people do when you massacre a school full of children?
    Scold you for being terrible and oh, by the way we need you to do this for us...

I've seen the scene you get if you kill Her Holiness.

It's amazing.
    The lecture from Chad if you kill the love of his life, his partner, and one of the keys to his plan?

"Oh no! You murdered someone!"

In Invisible War. Where you've probably killed schoolkids, nuns, and cops. With a flamethrower. Even if YOU didn't, everyone else in the game world considers just killing folks to be a reasonable path to your goals.

And he acts like murder is a SHOCKING NEW DEVELOPMENT, and HOW COULD YOU for a little thing like a global conspiracy that has, multiple times, hired you to murder people.

Then he says that he hopes you'd work for him again in the future, because this game is SO BAD at consequences.

chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »

I've seen the scene you get if you kill Her Holiness.

It's amazing.
    The lecture from Chad if you kill the love of his life, his partner, and one of the keys to his plan?

"Oh no! You murdered someone!"

In Invisible War. Where you've probably killed schoolkids, nuns, and cops. With a flamethrower. Even if YOU didn't, everyone else in the game world considers just killing folks to be a reasonable path to your goals.

And he acts like murder is a SHOCKING NEW DEVELOPMENT, and HOW COULD YOU for a little thing like a global conspiracy that has, multiple times, hired you to murder people.

Then he says that he hopes you'd work for him again in the future, because this game is SO BAD at consequences.
    Doesn't JC get mad and refuse to work with you again if you kill Paul? Other than that, yeah you can kill everyone, without consequence.

Oh and this last post. Frigging brilliant. Especially "Fuckbuddy Rescue." That should so be a service in real life.

Mild Confusion
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    That is totally Sterling Archer in that last update. With just a little more psychopath in him.

Totally ninja.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    You're so pretty when you're unfaithful to me
    The Holy word, his excellency Grand Master Saman, to the penitent Billie Adams on the occasion of her latest confessional.

My dear child. I know you walked for some time in darkness. I know you speak in the riddles of the secular world, leaving you poorly suited to understanding the clear truths I can bequeath to the others seeking the path through to the delectable mountains. I know the pollution in your body has left you in no shape to comprehend the words I deliver of my pure good will. But that is no excuse for nonsense.

Your "Alex D", our maddening Young Pliable, is not an issue in the grand scheme of things, and will be eliminated without your intervention, let alone mine. The faithful have nothing to fear from the slings and arrows of such a man. If he is not destroyed by his own folly, or devoured by the swamp of despair, he'll get himself shot by some other foolish mercenary in pursuit of a contract. Abandon all thought, before he drags you back into the path of blindness.

8590835011_099ff27eb0_b.jpg

I hear he's in Trier now, well away from your base of operations, diverted with the followers of Mr. Pope and Mr. Pagan. Men and women chased out of our holy sites for failing to understand the new gospel we preach. They live in darkness, and could hardly enlighten a blind man such as him on how to enter our sanctuaries.

8591936530_deecd5b2fb_b.jpg

And he is blind, you know. Not just willfully unseeing, he is incapable of understanding true vision. We may have saved you, my dear Much Afraid, from the perdition of the world, but pursuing Pliable would be throwing seed on rocky ground to be devoured by crows. (And it would do you well not to question my use of metaphor! It is very enlightened and wise, and entirely original. Your "Mr. Chesterton", "Mr. Bunyan" and their ilk were nothing but prophets for my glory at best! They could not understand the vision of the true church! If they did, they would not speak so lightly.)

8590834917_3ac4f873e6_b.jpg

If he does come our way, the faithful will rebuke his passage. One man could hardly stand against an army save for a shield of faith. And our faith is something Young Pliable has denied and ridiculed. It will not aid him.

8590834853_a4c5f10237_b.jpg

The very bodies of the faithful can hinder him, for they possess the codes to an intricate security system, DNA locked. I'm sure they would still serve loyally, even in death. After all, the bodies of the faithful are incorruptable.

8590834795_fd3300d6e8_b.jpg

They burn with a holy flame, Much Afraid. I doubt your drunken fratboy of an ex-boyfriend could do much to dull it.

8590834813_ccefc40882_b.jpg

Yes. A holy flame.

8591936202_3477dc92a1_b.jpg

And how would he know what to search for? What his real goal should be, if he wished to stop us? I cannot imagine even the lost souls of the WTO would ally with him. What could he bring to the table? What could he offer them other than random sociopathy?

A secret they did not want revealed, perhaps. But how could he find one? Young Pliable is a born fool.

8590834583_44bef23ab7_b.jpg

You yourself told me of occasions where he lit himself on fire.

8591936036_d38e5635bd_b.jpg

And any emotion you have for him can be safely dismissed. You biomods make you as much a Denton as he is. Any activity of a romantic nature would be incestuous. Filth made possible by the damnable advance of technology.

8591936114_bd5c029214_b.jpg

As for your talk of "improved information security", it's all nonsense. "Password" is a perfect password. Simple as a dove, and clever as a serpent. Pliable would never guess it.

8590834411_4a16001534_b.jpg

Again, even IF he were to enter one of our facilities. Despite the words of a few trying to divert us from the path of truth, we can safely ignore any threat he poses.

Even the others from your academy could be more of an issue, if they knew of your allegiance to the truth.

8591935958_1eed834af9_b.jpg

But how could that happen?

8590834257_ca3d022376_b.jpg

It's as likely as someone convincing the blind speaker for the Order that her Holiness has fallen from the true faith. Who could manage it? Who would even dare?

8590834213_e0d37966c2_b.jpg

Not a fool who still carries binoculars in the hope of seeing naked women in a fifth story window. I assure you.

Even if he survives, even if he follows, he would need to reprogram a security computer in the black gate to follow you. We sabotaged the teleporter thoroughly after you left.

8590834055_2f9f73c187_b.jpg

Impossible.

8591935396_b87e631c69_b.jpg

I promise you, Much Afraid, that there is no-one and nothing that can stop our plans now.

Mild ConfusionJusticeforPluto
    Pros: Explains why Saman is so bad at what he does.
    Cons: No one got told by Alex D.

Chiasaur11 teachers, and we learn.

steam_sig.png

edited March 2013
    I believe in this, (and it's been tested by research): He who fucks nuns, will later join the church.
    Dear Alex.

Congratulations. If you're reading this, you made it further than anyone else dreamed you would. They don't know you like I do.

8594591214_409ddda88b_b.jpg

You may be, well, you. But you've always been good at what you set your mind to. Tarsus wanted to make us monsters. For you, they were ten years too late. I'm almost jealous of that. You don't have to know what you lost to them. You never had to pay a price for power. All those bits were left out when you were manufactured.

I used to believe in things. I suppose I owe you for curing me of that.

Funny, isn't it? The whole world is worshipping Saman, Her Holiness, or JC Denton. Gods made with their own hands. We're the last agnostics.

And we're the only ones who took religious studies. I'm starting to think there's a connection.

8594591250_db8a782db5_b.jpg

I don't know how you got here exactly. You repaired the teleporter in Trier, because no-one here knows anything about technology more advanced than the flintlock pistol. Oh, we get power armor and combat drones, but they're all tethered to the instruction manuals. Luddite zealots are not the best choice when you're hiring engineers. Picking them out of a cult that actively discourages any kind of advanced thought only makes things better. God only knows what they'll do when and if we win, and they're the ones running the world.

They probably just had the Greys do it. Not that they should let them run around, let alone trust the things with tools. Even Saman says to capture instead of purge on sight.

...You made an anal probe joke on seeing them, didn't you?

Multiple anal probe jokes.

And you're making a new one right now, I'm sure.

8593491875_426f69b497_b.jpg

Even if your only audience is penguins. I really don't know why Denton had so many penguins around. I'm not sure I want to know.

8594591216_ec2b0349ce_b.jpg

Well, if they eat human flesh, you'll make them very happy. If I liked anyone else here, your arrival would be a tragedy.

8593491663_1c5e28cb75_b.jpg

But I've learned better. Chicago, Tarsus, the Order. You were right. Everyone's just looking out for number one. The best you can do, morally, is screw everyone over. At least that way the people at the bottom, those of us dumb enough to still believe in some kind of decency, get a chance from time to time to realize how fucked up the whole system really is.

To know what you knew all along. I'm jealous. You make living with it seem so easy. Almost innocent, in a perverted and sociopathic way.

We really had some fun.

8594591076_1ff3caba11_b.jpg

I'm sure you're still having fun, especially with your new flamethrower. You said you always wanted one, and now your fondest dreams are all coming true at once.

Must be nice.

8594591012_6b98542062_b.jpg

I don't want to think about what you did with the bodies. Let's say, for the sake of the dead, you just played with the toy harrier jet.

Actually, you probably did. It was a very nice toy jet. If I had the emotional maturity of a six year old whose parents left the playboys in the living room, I'd like it too.

8594590918_f6465ca3c4_b.jpg

Someone saw me writing this and said that the power armor would stop you even if your "impure soul" didn't drag itself down first.

I've actually been paying attention to the coroner's reports of the last people "sure to stop you". Electrical injuries. EMP damage.

Power armor isn't going to do anything.

8594590814_8927094d6c_b.jpg

You'll find your brother, probably before I can kill him and keep the world safe from whatever insane plans the Illuminati and Apostlecorp have for him.

8594590686_3e78b7d43d_b.jpg

His minions will try to persuade you to help his cause. If they're smart (no guarantees on that count), they'll offer you money, and you'll agree. So you'll go deeper in. And you'll find the bodies and last words of a lot of people who came before you. Let me guess the comments.

8594590642_a0f81f15d4_b.jpg

"Wow. What kind of pussy spends his last few minutes alive whining about being cold? It's Antartica, dumbass! It's cold."

8593491243_cb3c36d0b3_b.jpg

"Oh, greasels. Scary. Maybe they'll have Saint Bernards next. I hope they do. I'm getting too sober for work this stupid."

8594590452_6e3309388f_b.jpg

"Hahaha, you're dead too. Wait. Converted to rations? Oh, cool. Cannibalism. That's the best part of every plane crash."

8594590706_4842dbf039_b.jpg

And then you'll follow the trail and laugh at them again for dying so close to a nice furnished office. A monument to JC Denton's massive ego. This whole place is built in the image of his memories.

8594590332_75a5df4ece_b.jpg

Including the ridiculous laser sword. Well, the original was a jian, if I remember my history correctly, and this looks like a katana, but either way, it's not a weapon for someone with an ounce of sense.

So, perfect for you.

8594590484_b92f33c14f_b.jpg

Which beats everything else here. Ugly temple to one madman's ego.

8594590162_0cbf95047a_b.jpg
    8593490877_ced55f4181_b.jpg

Don't bother with the books, if you were lucky enough to duck it. Says it's by Hammond, but Hammond could write his way out of a paper bag.

8594590318_de42a19453_b.jpg

Which brings us to the present, a note on the floor, and you in a replica of the room that birthed you.

By now, I think you understand this is a breakup note.

That thought should go through your head about half a second before several thousand rounds of Mako Ballistics 5.7x28mm.

...It was fun while it lasted. But we both know too much about how the world works to think it could end another way.

Love, Billie Adams.

chiasaur11 on
    Mild ConfusionRchanenJusticeforPluto
    Then What!

That's Chiasaur, always leaving us hanging.

steam_sig.png

Sadly enough, there have been worse breakup notes. Including the part about imminent ballistic death.

Breaking everybody's heart, taking everyone apart
    The Fool and the World
    A story of the time before time. For The Theater, and a cast of at least eight:

Act V, Scene II

8620527429_c662bc2905_b.jpg

Curtain rises. The fool climbs to his feet. The agent lies still on the ground

Fool: I've had worse breakups. Now, to meet my long lost brother!

The fool punches a switch.

The Great Destroyer rises from the floor using a trap door.

8621626390_bbfdf107de_b.jpg

The Great Destroyer: At last! An heir! Together we can fix the world! You will be the cornerstone of an interlinked global civilization, a new zeitgeist, a new ERA! Tell me your name, brother, so we may remember the first citizen of the first true democracy.

Fool: Who-buh-wha-now?

The Great Destroyer: All of mankind will be interlinked in a global democracy. Instantanious reaction to the needs of society as all are uplifted. No barriers to the flow of information, no natural handicaps holding us back. All the ills of mankind...

Fool: So, you're saying that all the women of the world will be perfect tens, and I can see them naked all the time.

The Great Destroyer: That's not the point!

Fool: Then I still don't understand. You're saying there's a change in society that won't be used for porn.

The Great Destroyer: People will be made wiser! Nanotechnology will uplift us to the heights of human reason!

Fool: Like Ben Franklin? Because he was all about the poontang. Look, I'm just giving you a preview...

The Great Destroyer: Go. I will provide you with transportation to Cairo, where you can revive our brother. He may be able to speak in the tongues of mortals to explain the advance to you.

Fool: Sure. Right. What's it pay?

8621626480_3edc2520b0_b.jpg

Mr. Worldly enters.

Mr. Worldly: It pays nothing.

Fool: I want some of that nothing. Everyone's dying for it, I hear.

Mr. Worldly: I can get you better than nothing. I can get you something..

Fool: I'm listening.

Mr Worldly: Money. Power. We even own religion, so there's no need to worry about your soul. All we need is for you to kill...

Fool:Sounds good!

Mr. Wordly: I wasn't finished!

Fool: I'll do that until I get a better offer.

8620527361_09843263a7_b.jpg

Templar enters, stage left.

Templar: Or you could save your soul.

Fool: Nope. I'm good.

Templar: Just hear my message child. Listen to my offer. Come over here.

Fool: Is it candy?

Templar:... maybe.

All exit stage left.

8620527241_221f36fd21_b.jpg

Offstage screaming.

Fool: Oh! It's murder. My favorite.

8620527155_4da0f5576a_b.jpg

Fool: Is this a rocket launcher? I think it is!

Templar: Maybe I was wrong about... Look, over there!

8620527161_9cf8e92f3c_b.jpg

Templar: I'm not such a bad guy! Really! I, uh... Look over there while I insult you! Aliens!

8621626102_b86a0ab034_b.jpg

Fool enters stage left, as does ALIEN.

Fool: Oh, huh. You're right. Well, time to leave.

Curtains close

8621626072_f5234a3818_b.jpg

Act V, Scene III

Curtains open on a deserted research base. The fool stands in front of it, and taps on a COMPUTER SCREEN

8621625956_65bc4b81f9_b.jpg

Fool: Here's my exit ticket! That was easy. Now all I need to do is kill things.

He stands still for a minute.

Fool: I should probably turn the computer on.

8621625998_08c92c36d1_b.jpg

The fool shoves corpses off of every surface looking for a power switch. Check corpses for the plague before using them on set

Fool: There's a lot of dead people here. Huh.

8620526597_9bf4792a63_b.jpg

A greasel attacks.

Fool: Ow. Well, that explains everything.

8621625882_b2577e1620_b.jpg

A man gestures from behind a wall

Man: I know you are a robot, and I am from a religion of robot haters, but help me!

Fool: Okay.

8620526621_2d84eb477c_b.jpg

Man: Gasp! You are a robot! Die!

The man throws a grenade, misses, and kills himself. The fool shrugs and hits a switch.

8620526387_5216d434aa_b.jpg

Close curtains.
    Really wanted to write this in the style of Riddley Walker's Eusa stories, but I couldn't figure out how to make it work, so I went with a more conventional play format. Still feel bad about that. Alex-as-Sterling-Archer just clashes against the kind of lingering decay that Hoban's book nails.

Sorry that this isn't up to usual. It was a really boring section, even by IW standards, except the JC Denton speech. And even that was hurt by the lack of opportunities to challenge the premise and see what the counterargument would be.

GethRchanenMild ConfusionJusticeforPluto
    They also botched the Templar-leader bit as well with "did not do the research". You can't stand there and preach genetic determinism at me and expect anyone to take it seriously. This is the 21st century not Victorian england.

edited April 2013
    Are you for sale? Does "Fuck you" sound simple enough?
    Damn it all to hell. Nicolette, he's gone off the reservation. We were wrong about him, bet on the wrong motives.

Spend too long trying to play the masses, you forget how the individual thinks. Or worse, you might begin to think that the individual is important again. And then some hopped up nano-aug gets ideas, and we get the collapse all over again, only we'll be too dead to sort it out.

8650445725_6a77270670_b.jpg

Oh, it was simple enough at first. Just try to talk him to our moral prospective. After all, the Helios AI is obviously unhinged. The world needs people at the tiller, keeping it afloat. Can you imagine tossing it to the masses? All you'd get would be anarchy and decay, all against all. A state of nature.

Yes, I know now what our mistake was. Or at least, what one of them was. Thinking that animal understood morality. Oh, he acted like he did in antartica, like he had some regret for killing some girl he knew. (Or injuring, we couldn't get footage. All I know is that one of the top Templar agents went missing in JC Denton's main headquarters) But we both know that's a farce. We've run the psych profiles, and I heard how he talked. The same after as before, an uncaring sociopath with ethics that would be out of place in the average penal colony. He appears to think that James Bond's puns on committing a murder are not just a goal to be emulated, but excessively tasteful.

I'll spare you the details.

8651543716_d713b69bce_b.jpg

The first sign things had gone wrong should have been the bar. He had a pattern, a regular free pilot whose helicopter he stole from one of our facilities. And that we could track. If I'd been paying more attention, his talks with Sid Black were a warning sign. That lowlife has one marketable skill. A talent for staying off our radar. One day he's in Seattle, five hours later he's in Trier sampling the local alcohol without a single sensor tripped. If he wanted to stick with honest work, he would never pay a man like that.

8650445591_08d30391d4_b.jpg

At least, not the kind of money we saw disappear from his accounts an hour ago. I could have twenty or thirty people of note removed for that kind of money. I've paid much less for better results. Only a criminal would have need for so much money in a cheap bar. And another thousand vanished somewhere else. No man could drink that much alcohol. I refuse to believe it.

8651543624_d52b773d71_b.jpg

But we allowed our other agent to make contact, and Alex Denton was agreeable to the offer. As agreeable as he ever is to anything. Some vulgarity in the enthusiasm, but the rest was in line with a qualified field agent.

8650445615_a5f2f27e81_b.jpg

He had "business" in town to deal with. He'd get back to us. I didn't think he'd betray us. I also didn't think he'd do his job. Killing "family" isn't easy. Enough money would convince anyone, but the little (pardon my french, the mother tongue sometimes comes easier than the alternatives) merde had extorted enough from us already on questionable or incomplete assignments. We have investments to keep. Five commandos cost less than he asked. So, I looked into alternatives.

8651543530_1151b3d536_b.jpg

I understand you talked to him as well. Bringing up the Omar as an example of what his "brother" was working towards. Of why he should destroy everything JC Denton believes in.

8650445423_6fe3e5525b_b.jpg

That might have been a mistake in this case.

Moving on.

8651543370_f7feb7326c_b.jpg

I confirmed the stories we heard on the last of the Tarsus candidates. Heavy Omar bioaugmentation rendered him unsuitable for our needs, even if his psych profile fit. It doesn't. It must come with the process. They don't like authority. Even when it's for their own good. Ingrates.

8650445123_cc81639f86_b.jpg

Speaking of, I heard your voice of the prophet, Lin-May Chen, has gone off script. She's releasing classified information on the Order as we speak, and harming our credibility on both ends. If we had the resources, I'd recommend a hit squad. At the moment, we do not. She will be a complication until we silence her.

8650444999_ab8f8ee236_b.jpg

Chen, Saman, Billie Adams. You've had bad luck lately with your closest associates. I suppose that's the trouble with these religions. People might believe in them more than the people behind them. Then we get zealots, zealots bring chaos, chaos brings another collapse and we're back where we all started. I'd argue with you, but this was both our idea. A tame religion. All the spiritual fulfillment for the ignorant masses, none of the risks and lack of control.

We should have known better. It's been tried. It never works.

8651543086_8c53e4de24_b.jpg

Well, at least Alex's downtime was spent cleaning up one of our messes before making his own. I don't know what the hell he has against the templars, but it's to our benefit. The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy, nothing more, nothing less.

8650445027_a30cd03540_b.jpg

But it's good that he isn't exclusively our enemy. He's an idiot, disgusting, shortsighted, vulgar, any other insult you wish to use, but he's competent. In a way.

Yes, it doesn't look it when he runs up to a combat drone, stabs it in the tailplate, and yells "Robot prison! Shank or be shanked." But he survives those situations. We call him an idiot. That might just be what he wants us to think. An idiot wouldn't spend so much time consciously irritating everyone on Earth and survive.

Have you read your Chesterton? I've talked about it with you before. I think we agreed he was too dangerous to incorporate in the Order's teachings, one of those uncommon and irritating religious types who seemed to want people to think. Even if it leads to the right conclusion for the moment, it builds bad habits. At any rate, he had a comment on the situation.

Where do you hide a leaf? In a forest.

Where do you hide a dead leaf? In a dead forest.

And if you don't have a dead forest, then you make a dead forest.

In fewer words, a swarm of killings might not all be relevant. Random acts of violence cover up concentrated acts of violence.

8650444733_63eb8407ac_b.jpg

Example. I found there was a dead scientist in the mosque. One with connections to the Denton research.

8651542716_83d8468ae3_b.jpg

Hard to notice in the confusion. Nearly impossible. I think we missed a number of similar incidents over the month. He's eliminating anyone who could explain his motives. Anyone who could stop him. I mean, does anyone honestly believe his stated motives?

"He was ignoring me, and I got bored, and I had a shotgun... things kinda went the way these things go."

He must think we're as stupid as he acts. Still. I had a hole card. Something to guarantee loyalty.

8651542852_fce54d6c4f_b.jpg

We had a friend of his. Sparks. She wasn't much use as an agent. Had a conscience, and refused to play the assassin. So, I assumed she'd be a good motivator to work for us. Then he had to ask a question. A stupid question, of course.

"So, you'd shoot me, too, if I stick around and ask questions? Or do you just want me to shoot anyone who asks questions and isn't me? Because I can kill her. Won't be cheap, though. We're talking Argentina money."

8650444569_662b241769_b.jpg

At least, that's what it sounded like he was saying. Screaming and the crackling of fire drowned out some of the statements. I tried to let him know we could assassinate his classmate well enough on our own.

"Oh. So you don't need me. Like you didn't need her. Got it."

8651542514_c42ba25e49_b.jpg

He didn't open communications for another five minutes. When he did, it was only to ask if "Tranq sex" was "consensual".

His exact words involved the phrase "I don't want this to become some weird, creepy thing".

8651542394_015ae8cfe7_b.jpg

Oh, and Klara Sparks quit. Officially. And she knows far too much as well, so that's another assassination to arrange with all our regulars quitting or dying.

8650444257_cc5185afa7_b.jpg

Which is when Saman called me on an encrypted line to gloat. He assured me that Alex Denton had been working for him this whole time. That any action otherwise was a ruse.

8650444155_7c0ee6d171_b.jpg

Then he started cursing and screaming about someone not acting according to plan, and I ruled out any explanation Saman might impose on events.

I tried one last round of communication with the agent.

8650444163_4e9eaf1d19_b.jpg

8650444161_4e9eaf1d19_b.jpg

8651541908_640f3961e7_b.jpg

8650444161_4e9eaf1d19_b.jpg

8650443859_554fc9bcdd_b.jpg

I won't bore or terrify you with the details. Suffice it to say, the last of the Dentons is a creative psychopath, if nothing else.

8651541712_59e71b2ddd_b.jpg

We had no contact with our forces on the ground, and have reason to assume the worst. Meet me in New York in an hour. It will be a Denton family reunion. Let's make sure it's also a Denton family funeral. The first two were bad enough.

The third is getting worse by the second.

-Chad

chiasaur11 on
    Mild ConfusionRchanen
    "He was ignoring me, and I got bored, and I had a shotgun... things kinda went the way these things go."

lawl

steam_sig.png

That NG resonance montage is a hell of a thing.

Dyvim Tvar
    Brilliant. I love the idea of Alex as maybe the craftiest mole ever. Hamlet FTW.

Rchanen wrote: »
    Brilliant. I love the idea of Alex as maybe the craftiest mole ever. Hamlet FTW.

He's totally Archer. He does it because it's awesome.

RchanenMild Confusion
    I'll die for my own sins, thanks a lot
    Hey Billie.

Normally, this is where I'd put one of my peerless double entendres or ribald asides, but this is too big for jokes. Like my penis.

...dammit. Okay, you know what? I'm probably going to keep that in. I've spent too long doing it to stop now, and...

dammit.

Okay. I think I might have just saved and/or doomed the human race, and if I didn't kill you in Antartica, and you can still hear me, then maybe that's something you give a damn about. Or not! I know I don't. I mean, I might have a couple weeks ago, but it turns out everyone else is dicks, I'm the best at being a dick, and I'm pretty sure I have enough money to turn the city of my choosing into a gigantic gladiatorial arena so fuck whatever happens to the rest of the world. Ball's in their court now.

8662732098_cf7c4c7911_b.jpg

So, after I shot you repeatedly (and you're welcome for me conveniently turning my back and NOT firing a few extra bullets in your skull to make sure, not a lot of ex-boyfriends would have been that thoughtful), a lot of stupid shit happened. Aliens, mutant lizardy-things, your boss trying to hire me on the grounds that he only blew up Chicago to kill me, so why should I hold a grudge, Klara nearly got killed, and Leo experienced the legendary Omar sense of humor.

Russians. If they were human, we just might get along. (Little joke there. I'm pretty sure Russians and normal people can have fertile hybrids.)

Anyway, went to New York to meet up with some people. JC Denton, Saman, Chad Dumier or whatever. You know, important people who want to rule the world or something. They'd been paying me for a while. More than one of them had been paying me for a while. So, basically, I was probably going to be killed for knowing too much.

Which is why I hired some air support. Smart move. Because, as you said in your breakup note, I'm a smart guy.

8662732084_982e9b0c7e_b.jpg

Remember what I said about everyone else being dicks? EVERYONE ELSE IS A DICK. I paid a lot of money for some close air support, and the fucker just left me with my dick flapping in the breeze. He dies next. Dumbass told me where he was going to be for the next few hours. All I have to do is...

Fuck. I don't have a way off this island. Not in two hours, anyway. So, I guess that's long term. Or, you know what? Life is too damn short. I'll kill him if I see him.

8662732108_af150a069d_b.jpg

Then JC Denton asked for something important in the base of the UNATCO HQ. You remember, fuckup central before the collapse. He didn't seem to be talking pay. In fact, the tone felt a lot more "this is your last chance, I know what you did".

I got that enough from you. Don't need it in a boss.

8662732108_af150a069d_b.jpg

Then I got a call from Leo something-or-other. From Tarsus. Expects me to remember him after ten, twenty minutes of total facetime. I told him we'd talk after I made sure there was nothing more interesting to do, like sex, murder, or some dryer lint to stare at.

8661633663_5b2ce652fd_b.jpg

Turned out the main thing I had to do was listen to everyone on the damn island bitch about how I wasn't "doing a good enough job" or "helping the cause" or I "Stabbed them in the back". So, that was less interesting than the lint thing.

8662731970_75da3265c7_b.jpg

And the supposed secret UNATCO base was filled with hobos. Look, I know some people are homeless through no fault of their own, and what I'm about to say is completely insensitive, but hobos are the worst, Billie. The worst. They're like hippies without the free drugs and insane sex. Anything worth looking for down there should have killed them off long ago.

Basically, you can measure the value of science by how many vagrants it kills when left unchecked. Whatever was down there hadn't killed a single bum in decades. It was attracting more.

8662731856_0efd2f498c_b.jpg

Also, Saman wants it, and I know you have to know this, but holy shit that guy's a dumbass. He can give me my humanity? That's really nice. That and shitting in one hand while catching a gift bird in the other just makes me lose track of the metaphor. So, anything he wants is worthless crap, is my point. Anyway, I went back to talk to Leo and get the bum smell out of my nose.

8662731846_86f8391374_b.jpg

He and I worked out a complicated multi-step plan to solve the world's problems.

Step 1) Kill all the assholes on the island.

Step 2) Be pretty sure step 1 fixed everything.

8662731666_69a1d84724_b.jpg

Rewired a killbot and set it to start pissing everyone else off. He's still stomping around, I think. If not in the flesh, in our hearts. Or someone's heart. He stomped on a lot of people until their hearts came out.

8662731596_7d531a46d0_b.jpg

Then I went and started chucking grenades at Templars so they'd explode and kill everyone else. Really, building your suits to explode was a dumb idea.

But you knew that. You had to know that.

8662731608_590449e3da_b.jpg

And now Saman does too. Since one of those explosions killed him. Ha. Irony.

Or something else.

8661633213_c4952ae244_b.jpg

Went to talk to the Illuminati next. Or "talk". Talk bullet.

8662731460_8a460f7e79_b.jpg

Okay, if I'm being honest, talk. They have money, they have power, and they have to expect backstabbing with their stupid plan. So, I want, they seemed reasonable, went with the standard we can all just clear out, level our heads, I'll kill everyone else and get back to you. Professional as fuck.

8661633313_ed7625a874_b.jpg

Then they try to shoot me in the back. And we went back to talk bullet.

8662731350_b85f2d8e92_b.jpg

Stole a few ID chips off the bodies. Think I can finish of some good credit fraud before anyone figures out what all went down here. Already ordered a speed boat. A bitching speed boat.

8661633087_c01b08d099_b.jpg

Then I broke JC Denton's stupid hobo attracting crap.

8661632985_30598d76d2_b.jpg

And shot him until he died. Chump!

8662731326_aaf92d6fdf_b.jpg

So, I just killed the most important people on the planet, which got me an Omar frequent customer discount. If you want anything, let me know. No idea what I'm going to do next, but at least we can all be content in one thing.

I just killed a lot of people who deserved it for money. And really. Who could ask for more?

RchanenMild Confusion
    Then what!!?

Seriously this was the biggest problem with DX:IW ending - it wound up being so unsatisfying no matter who you went with. Murdering everyone sure as hell feels good.

edited April 2013
    If they deserve life, LET THEM STAND FOR THEMSELVES
    And that is where the trail ended. With the death of the illuminati's leaders, the destruction of the Helios AI, and the damage to every global surveillance system at the time, I could not find another confirmed record of Alex D. For all I know, all any of us know, he died on that island, a martyr to his own stupidity.

8662731226_0c564a4a8c_b.jpg

But what a martyr. His actions freed mankind from the madmen who had strangled it for all these long years. JC Denton, the Illuminati, the 12 who ruled in majesty, the Templar. They all held mankind back from its destiny. Our... maturity. We were so immature in those days. Children. A few of the children tried to play at adulthood by oppression, by saying "do not touch" to every danger. They only made our species more childish still. It is fitting that salvation from that ill came from a mind so adolescent. They kept us young to keep us safe, and made the few who strove for more inescapably dangerous as a result. It killed them.

8661632873_ef985b4509_b.jpg

It killed more than a few others before the process was finished. The world fell into wars and chaos the like of which had never been seen. Holding our hands, keeping the masses in the dark, it left so many angry. Confused. Stupid. They bit and struggled and fought to avenge themselves on a corpse, or their neighbor, or a thousand other things that came to mind. The had horded knowledge, and the knowledge was lost with them. Even our forefathers, the men and women who knew more, and saw further, and remembered everything forgot. Our history was torn to ribbons with the rest of the world, preparation or none. But we were wise even then. We knew that the freedom won was worth the cost, in knowledge or coin or blood.

We survived the end, survived through the long years of confusion, the longer years of war, and saw the sunrise as free men. And now we can look back, and claim our history from the rubble. I am honored to play such a role. I am honored to exist in the world we won.

8662731246_4c4427df28_b.jpg

There was a book once. Long before the end, even before the collapse that some called the end in their shortsightedness. It was nonsense, a tale of might-have-beens, but it was the first thing I pulled from the rubble, the first sign of my role. It was about the end of childhood and the coming of maturity.

"What you have brought into the world may be utterly alien, it may share none of your desires or hopes, it may look upon your greatest achievements as childish toys—yet it is something wonderful, and you will have created it."

We are wonderful. And this is a record of our creators. Of the childish toys that left a few of us, the boldest, the smartest, the fittest, to grow into adults.

8662731082_3fe68b5117_b.jpg

Alex Denton, wherever you are, whatever is left of you in the rubble of a burning, dead world, I give you that gratitude of the Omar. And we leave you and any left like you the Earth. It is only fair.

8661632799_acae19c9c8_b.jpg

You gave us the stars.

8661632745_da944d6d17_b.jpg

And that's the end!

Overall thoughts on the game to follow soon.

spoiler:
    I did not like it!

chiasaur11 on
    Mild ConfusionRchanen
    Chiasaur, you are truely a master LPer.

steam_sig.png

Dyvim Tvar
    I am ELM and I approve of this apocalypse.

edited April 2013
    So! Invisible War. Having finished, I have to say, despite everything, despite all the criticisms and the jokes at its expense over the years, that the game inspires thought.
    Thoughts like "Man, that game is a bit shit, innit?" and "Is everyone in this game an asshole except the Omar? Because I'm pretty sure I shouldn't like the Russian social darwinist ultracapitalist borg better than everyone else."

Before I started, I more or less believed the party line on it. Not a bad game, but a bad sequel to Deus Ex. Having played? Yeah, it's a bad game. A very bad game. And in the year of our lord twenty hundred and thirteen, it is a worse game than ever.

The bright spots have been matched and exceeded by other games. The failures have become more unforgivable. I mean, the game wasn't good looking on release, and the load times for the tiny levels were still slow as shit, but it's been a decade, and neither has improved. At all. How they managed it, I can't say, but man, that's an impressive level of fucking up. On a technical level, the game is a disaster. Got stuttering, glitches, occasional CTDs with no warning, every time it loads a new level the game has to close down and relaunch, and on and on and on.

The augs and some of the weapons could be fun, even with levels the size of a high school basketball court, but the game's design kneecaps them. Enemies all have tons of HP, and ranged weapon upgrades cap out too quickly to feel a sense of advancement. Your pistol, the go-to in every other Deus Ex game, is shit. You sneak up on some poor bastard, line up a headshot...

and his lifebar barely pings. The flamethrower takes too long to set dudes on fire, the rocket launcher doesn't drop mobs of hostiles in one delightful orgy of ultraviolence, and the fancy energy gun that everyone wants can't even one-shot school children. Enemies are even dumber than the original Deus Ex, too, and that's no small accomplishment. Those guys were morons.

At the time of release, I can sort of see the appeal. There wasn't another game like Deus Ex out there, and Invisible War was kind of like it, if you squinted. It also let you kill pretty much everyone, which, you know, not going to lie. I see the appeal.

But now we have Dishonored and Human Revolution to fill a Deus Ex shaped hole in our hard drives when we want a break from the original, and if you just want to murder everyone, you can just go to New Vegas and chow down on the corpses once you're done. We got this sort of thing, and we don't need a half assed simulacrum. Thankfully.

The other thing I heard was that the gameplay was weak, but the plot was good.

Yeah, not exactly. The plot made the gameplay look like high art. Everyone except the Omar was willing to overlook all your transgressions with no consequences. Kill someone's daughter and throw her corpse at their head? They are, at most, mildly put out. Kill off JC Denton's brother? You can still get his ending. Same with DuClair and the Illuminati. I mean, the game often gives you no motive for the murder beyond "I fucking hate this asshole's stupid face", but considering how few fucks everyone gives, why not murder a time or twenty? There's choices, but no consequences. Compare to another game defended as brilliant but flawed, Alpha Protocol. There, if you go around like a psychopath, people treat you like a psychopath. Anyone working with you who isn't totally nuts (or Stephen Heck) is disgusted that you're their best option in the scenario. Even some mass murderers insult your lack of style.

Here, the response to you murdering some people (no matter what you've done before) is brief shock that you're a murderer, then nothing. Every major faction (except the Omar) continually asks you to do morally repulsive things and at most they give you a half assed ideological excuse that they hold with about as much commitment as Booker DeWitt has to pacifism. The head of the world religion (which is the shittiest excuse for a religion since scientology) made the whole thing up to control people, the head of the world financial institutions doesn't believe in the free market, JC Denton no longer loves America and smartassery.

Then the game expects you to give a damn. They kidnap characters and hold them at gunpoint, give you quests where the only motive is "it's the right thing to do" and try to offer you deep moral consequences, when anyone with a lick of sense learned that caring was a mug's game back in Seattle, or in Trier at the latest. Everyone except the Omar is either a total douchebag, or a total douchebag's pawn. Including the PC, who manages to be both. Adam Jensen is a fleshed out and likable character (except in cutscenes, where his IQ drops to Invisible War levels). JC is a monotoned smartass, but he's got a character and some great lines. Alex? Alex is a cipher, and if you picked a dude then he's a cipher with the most punchable face of any game protagonist to ever exist. You don't feel like a cyberpunk badass, playing all sides against the middle in the great game. You feel like a toady.

And the endgame? For all their faults come the last level, HR and Deus Ex proper managed to make the conclusions feel like conclusions. Here, the varied objectives and cramped levels meant you could miss half the endgame area without noticing. And not care. You're given three groups of douches. Pick JC, and it turns out he lied. Everyone's getting borged. Pick the Illuminati, and yes, they give a perfect world, but seriously. Fuck those guys so much.

As for the Templar, their ending is, surprise, a reveal that the totalitarian religious zealots are evil, and will kill everyone who disagrees with them once they finish killing all cyborgs.

Kill everyone, and the world ends, then the Omar rule the rubble. Whoops.

Oddly enough, having played the game, the last option is now pretty appealing. I mean, aside from hating every single fleshbag in the game.

See, everyone spends the game talking like the Omar are the devil. That they're the borg, and forcibly assimilating hobos, and yada yada yada. Even the scene before the final cutscene has one pop up to thank you, indicating that maybe, gasp! They were playing you so they could take over all along! Only, here's the thing. It doesn't hold up. The Omar are the nicest guys in the game! Their quests? All "get us intel so we can survive better". The people telling horror stories? Mostly racist as hell against the guys. The hobo thing? Look, the Omar are offering, as a charity service, food, shelter, and cutting edge biomods to people whose other option in life is starving in nanomonster infested wastelands. People talk like they're a hivemind, but they all seem to have some individuality left, right down to the first person pronouns. They're also the only faction that reacts to you killing their own.

We even get a look at their recruiting procedure with Leo. Their usual? Cutting edge tech, then you get about a month to decide "Hell yes, I'm in!" or "You know what? Sorry guys, not interested. Thanks for the mods, though." Leo, they're only rushing since the Templars are in town in force, and someone running around with all their gear who they can't fully trust is a massive liability. They don't take issue if you give him a ticket out of town, 'cept shutting down some of his tech. And they have to know it was you, given how they know about every other time you act against them. But no. Extracting Leo neutralizes the problem, so they're cool with it. Because they, and they alone, are not total assholes.

Then the ending? It isn't likely to be their fault, considering it takes place centuries down the line, and nobody in Deus Ex can hold a plan together for three decades running. The ending talks about an age of heroes, huge wars between new factions that burned the Earth. And it doesn't use the phrase "Omar". Keeps up with the term "humanity". Which is interesting, given as that's the Templar's watchword throughout the game. That they're human, and the Omar ain't. Here, the game's only omniscient narrator disagrees.

But yeah. Lot of jerks in this game.

On top of it all, the little books in this game are shit compared to the ones in game 1. Shorter, and much less interesting. A lot's said by going with Frankenstein, everyone's go-to for SCIENCE HUBRIS as the game's included classic literature, where Deus Ex had the more obscure but brilliant "The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare". There's even a sequel to Jacob's Ladder in Invisible War. It's a perfect symbol for the game as a whole as compared to the original. Shorter, filled with references to the original at the expense of narrative (including bringing back characters that were implied to be dead), and completely unnecessary.

Thankfully, Human Revolution came out, and set the world back the way it should be. And now we can look back and laugh, instead of trying to pretend Invisible War was good enough.

(Oh, and in case no-one noticed, every title in the LP was a line from a song by a different artist. )

Cave Johnson. We're done here.

chiasaur11 on
    RchanenMild ConfusionBrocksMulletDyvim Tvar
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I don't remember specifically how, but for the end segment it is possible get Sid Black to honor his deal for the bombing run. But like all things in Invisible War, all that changes is there's a few scorch marks and small fires on the ground, and the outdoor guards for that faction are dead.