As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, January 18, 2013 - Sportz

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited January 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    SquirrelGODSquirrelGOD Registered User regular
    Aaron Rodgers is certainly a wizard.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Football is really just an RTS game.

• Options
    wiperwiper Registered User new member
    Shouldn't it be "then football"?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    fake nerd guys

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Yeah, gabe already fixed it, he said on Twitter, but it might take a while to update.

• Options
    Comedy RefluxComedy Reflux Web creator FlandersRegistered User regular
    Are more spelling errors slipping through or am I just reading the updates quicker than I used to?

Banner_2.jpg
    Back after a three year hiatus!
  • Options
    AlsadiusAlsadius Registered User new member
    At risk of losing nerd cred, the *offensive* line are the quarterback's tanks - the defensive line is the line of the defending team.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I've caught some strange flak for watching sports (not here). I would never guessed in my younger pimply marching band WoW playing years that I would be put down by a girl in cosplay for being a 'jockey sportswatcher'

I take watching my NBA and LoL streams at pretty much the same interest level

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Alsadius wrote: »
    At risk of losing nerd cred, the *offensive* line are the quarterback's tanks - the defensive line is the line of the defending team.

I concur with this assessment.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The problem with football as a competitive sport is that the balance is all screwed up. Some teams are clearly better than others, and all updates seem to do is just shuffle players around randomly rather than trying to fix the underlying issues.

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    This comic has blown my mind.

• Options
    VeggieH8RVeggieH8R Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the Seahawks were using l33t hax the last few weeks to get into the playoffs.
    The Patriots are using a broken as hell quarterback.
    And the Jets are buggy as fuck.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    The problem with football as a competitive sport is that the balance is all screwed up. Some teams are clearly better than others, and all updates seem to do is just shuffle players around randomly rather than trying to fix the underlying issues.

Spoken like a true nerd. :P

• Options
    MUNIMUNI Registered User regular
    Oh, Gabe.

Gabe, Gabe, Gabe.....

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    This is disgusting.

All my high school life I got mocked mercilessly by those damn nerds for being way into sports. Always "Haha PreciousBodilyFluids enjoys playing with balls" and insinuating that only big dumbos liked sports. Football was my only escape from the hell that was high school.

And now these nerds think they can participate in my sporting culture? Think again. These nerds are not real football fans. They never cried for the sport. They never bled for the sport. They don't belong here.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    This is disgusting.

All my high school life I got mocked mercilessly by those damn nerds for being way into sports. Always "Haha PreciousBodilyFluids enjoys playing with balls" and insinuating that only big dumbos liked sports. Football was my only escape from the hell that was high school.

And now these nerds think they can participate in my sporting culture? Think again. These nerds are not real football fans. They never cried for the sport. They never bled for the sport. They don't belong here.

Fucking nerds going to conventions and playing D&D while I worked at the sports bar and grill. They have no idea what it was like in 2003 to have Mavericks and Spurs fans show up in jerseys, howling in fury and righteousness, threatening each other with butter knives and bread baskets. I had to survive that madness.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    i fuckin love you guys

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I love this comic so much.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Know that thou curséd sports fans are unclean within my sight; thou hath tasted of the forbidden balls, and for this betrayal of the pure Word of Nerd, I hereby CAST THEE OUT!

• Options
    Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Know that thou curséd sports fans are unclean within my sight; thou hath tasted of the forbidden balls, and for this betrayal of the pure Word of Nerd, I hereby CAST THEE OUT!

Oh crap, he's getting all biblical again. Someone go calm him down before he starts whipping up the rest of the lurkers and they storm PA Towers with their torches and pitchforks.

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I blame Chris Kluwe for this

• Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    It's a fine line some of us walk.

I used to describe myself as a 'casual fan' of football so as to avoid any serious discussion of stats or names I don't recognize with one group vs. a total lack of interest and suspicion from the other.

• Options
    JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    It works in the opposite manner too. I finally understood DOTA when I found comparisons to ice hockey. 5 vs 5, action constantly goes back and forth between both sides, getting killed gives your opponents Power Play advantages, etc.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    JamieOD wrote: »
    It works in the opposite manner too. I finally understood DOTA when I found comparisons to ice hockey. 5 vs 5, action constantly goes back and forth between both sides, getting killed gives your opponents Power Play advantages, etc.

Wow, you know what? I think any moba would be greatly improved by a game mode that lasts a fixed amount of time, and scoring is based on how many times you can carry an object into the enemy fountain!

• Options
    AtomicKittenAtomicKitten Registered User regular
    I can hear the commentary in my mind...

"Theres the snap... he falls back--a rogue stealthed past the tanks and... oooh! fireball to the groin, thats gonna leave a nasty mark. Healer down! HES RUNNING FOR IT! Polymorph! Time Warp! is that... YES IT IS, HE JUST SUMMONED A DRAGON! While the adventurers subdue the dragon and we mop up the blood, here's a word from our sponsor, Leomud's Secret Sports Bar."

I want this game.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    This feels kind of like a re-hash of an older comic, but that older comic is one of my favorites, so I'm OK with it.

659873150_xVvHF-XXL.jpg

• Options
    drazendrazen Registered User regular
    I concur that the OL, not DL, are the tanks, but what's that make the kickers? Bards?

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    drazen wrote: »
    I concur that the OL, not DL, are the tanks, but what's that make the kickers? Bards?
    Cleric. Nobody really wants to be one, they're just kind of standing there most of the time, but if they get killed you might as well pack up and go home.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    One of those Fake Gamer Guys...

• Options
    FastrFastr Registered User regular

I came here just to bring that up actually. I'm proud to me a mixture of nerd and sports guy

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Cleric. Nobody really wants to be one, they're just kind of standing there most of the time, but if they get killed you might as well pack up and go home.

I almost want to ask what turnovers, downs, and onside kicks are analogous to. You guys are good at this.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I like football I guess.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I like football I guess.

hi6Lf.jpg

• Options
    Bill_PeschelBill_Peschel Registered User regular
    If that's the Eagles on the screen behind him, then that IS filth Gabe's watching.

• Options
    LostinJerseyLostinJersey Registered User new member
    Came here to post exactly this.

"Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless... like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend." -Lee Jun Fan (aka Bruce Lee)
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    This feels kind of like a re-hash of an older comic, but that older comic is one of my favorites, so I'm OK with it.

[img snip][/img]

I think I like this one more. I think it's because I prefer gob-smacked Tycho to Gabe-berating Tycho. Although "Ah. Your silence is my answer" along with Gabe's accompanying facial expression is pretty damn good too.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    If that's the Eagles on the screen behind him, then that IS filth Gabe's watching.

It was the Seattle Seahawks.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular

Its the Seahawks. Only Erica is a filthy Eagles fan.

• Options
    All I have to add is that Eagles fans seem to be the most notorious for being violent and otherwise belligerent. I dunno how much more or less than that is compared to other teams but it's ridiculous, the shit I hear coming out of the city of brotherly love.

Anyway, the true filth in the NFL are 49ers fans.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »

I almost want to ask what turnovers, downs, and onside kicks are analogous to. You guys are good at this.

Disarm, turns, attack of opportunity.

When you actually get into rules the analogy starts to break down and ceases to be as funny.

Hevach on