As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enforcer Applications for PAX Aus are now closed

• MelaynaMelayna Registered User regular
    @Psycar Thanks for Kristen's email. She actually got back to me pretty quickly (<1 hour from sending it), apparently my name dropped off the lists when she was doing the mail out. I think it's safe to say that the mailing out IS done and if you haven't heard back then give Kristen an email.

I was kind of wanting to email someone all week to ask when the mail outs where done but then didn't want to seem really really over eager. hahahaha My friends where telling me to be patient..... but I was right something did happen to my name. :D

Happy to be joining the enforcer ranks though. :)

• PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Glad to hear it! Welcome aboard =D

• D4M14ND4M14N Perth, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Heh, at this rate i wonder if anyone got rejected, yet to see anyone say they did.

• ShudderrrShudderrr Registered User new member
    So we just shoot her another email if we haven't heard anything?

• BrunhildeBrunhilde Registered User regular
    I'm glad I'm not the only impatient one just busting to get into the enforcer forums!

Apparently we can get the tickets we already purchased refunded? I'd rather sell mine at cost to a friend who missed out, so hopefully once they are posted that's not an issue.

p.S. Utilikilts are cool, if you have one wear it!

anniversary-8.png
  • smerksmerk Registered User regular
    Shudderrr wrote: »

I think @Melayna is referring to the acceptance email, not the Forum Login email. Which no-one has received yet, unless they've been super quiet about it (glances around suspiciously).

What is this 'Pants' of which you speak?
  • ShudderrrShudderrr Registered User new member
    smerk wrote: »

I think @Melayna is referring to the acceptance email, not the Forum Login email. Which no-one has received yet, unless they've been super quiet about it (glances around suspiciously).

Oh good. I thought they were referring to the Enforcer forums. So still no one has received the email?

• FreelolliesFreelollies Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    smerk wrote: »

Oh good. I thought they were referring to the Enforcer forums. So still no one has received the email?

Good, I was freaking out for a day there

• RadkeJRadkeJ Registered User regular
    Anyone else refreshing gmail/hotmail/whatever every 30 mins, just incase? :P

RadkeJ wrote: »
    Anyone else refreshing gmail/hotmail/whatever every 30 mins, just in case? :P

My Laptop, Tablet and Phone are all open, and go ping within about 30 secs of each other when I get mail. There is currently an added psychosomatic cadence to the ping. A cadence... of Hope.

• MalyananMalyanan Registered User regular

...I may be addicted to hitting the 'Get All New Messages' button on my email client, yes. >.<

• KristovKristov Now known as Tazz1e -- Aus [E] HobartRegistered User new member
    I'm so excited!

You realise that by the time you get up it's already end of business for the day in Seattle, so you might as well just leave it alone until the next day. You can hit refresh all night though, that would be worthwhile.

anniversary-8.png
    Brunhilde wrote: »
    You can hit refresh all night though, that would be worthwhile.

You just had to go and say that, didn't you? -.-

*wearily goes back to hitting refresh*

You realise that by the time you get up it's already end of business for the day in Seattle, so you might as well just leave it alone until the next day. You can hit refresh all night though, that would be worthwhile.

You know my sleeping pattern eh? STALKER! :P

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    To those who got accepted: congratulations. You've joined one of the hardest working, most tightly knit volunteer groups in the world. You have a lot to live up in order to carry on the Enforcer name, but I'm sure you're all up to it! If you're REALLY badasses, consider applying to Main Theatre!

To those who didn't get in: don't feel too bad. You still get the opportunity to enjoy the greatest gaming festival in the world. And we're here to serve you!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I've done theater a bunch at the con I volunteer for here in Perth, so I am considering trying to do that for PAX as well. We shall see.

edited May 2013
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I've done theater a bunch at the con I volunteer for here in Perth, so I am considering trying to do that for PAX as well. We shall see.

Tabletop. I'd be hanging out there all day if I wasn't enforcing, so I see no reason to stop now. I'll also need to do a bunch of 'research' so I can be super knowledgable about all the games. :)

The idea of working the Expo Hall does not fill me with bunnies and tulips.

smerk on
    I...have no idea what I want to do. :/ Tabletop sounds like fun though, since that's the area of gaming I'm most interested in. :D

I don't even know what areas there are to work in, but I want to be with the video games :)

anniversary-8.png
    Tabletop would be fun, but being an IT guy, I'd prolly be more useful at the BYOC or something :P

• DarthSalemDarthSalem Technomancer MelbourneRegistered User regular
    I'm glad I'm not the only impatient one just busting to get into the enforcer forums!

Apparently we can get the tickets we already purchased refunded? I'd rather sell mine at cost to a friend who missed out, so hopefully once they are posted that's not an issue.

p.S. Utilikilts are cool, if you have one wear it!

I already have a queue of friends lining up to get my tickets, once I get the enforcer tickets.

PLUS, it sounds like we need a official Brotherhood of the Kilt not so secret handshake :)

Tabletop would be fun, but being an IT guy, I'd prolly be more useful at the BYOC or something :P

Good point, that'd be me too. Though I have a hunch we might not be the only IT guys there ;)

Can't wait to start crawling around on the floor checking LAN cables and performing ping tests!

anniversary-8.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    You guys might want to consider reading through this thread in regards to the different areas of Enforcing. I could've sworn I posted a list of all of the departments here, but for the life of me I can't find it. All that stuff will definitely be in the [E] forum though.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited May 2013
    Heads up, everyone. Something's fresh in the State of Washington. Email recieved, see you on the other side.

Edit: More humans involved in the procedure. Next layer of approvals pending.

smerk on
  • NoodlezNoodlez PerthRegistered User regular
    Enforcer emails are now going out. Woot :)

• vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    I could've sworn I posted a list of all of the departments here, but for the life of me I can't find it. All that stuff will definitely be in the [E] forum though.

Here - That thread has some good info in it as well.
    DISCLAIMER: These all based off of how East and Prime run, Aus could be handled differently

Setup: Wednesday and Thursday setup is not mandatory, but highly encouraged. Your only requirements for Enforcing are working your assigned shifts, which is typically the same 6 hour shift on Fri/Sat/Sun. As far as setup goes, Enforcers are involved with setting up freeplay areas, doing line prep work, assisting exhibitors in the expo hall, checking in other Enforcers, some A/V work (although that's mainly handled by the venue staff). The bulk of the efforts go into setting up the PC/Console/Tabletop freeplay rooms. And yes, there is a lot of setup/teardown involved in a PAX.

Jobs: Here are the departments that you can try to get yourself assigned to (again, read disclaimer, my comments after the dash):

Registration (pass pick up, media check-in, etc.)
    Line Management - Self Explanatory
    Line Entertainment - Also self-explanatory
    Console Freeplay - Handle checking in/out of games/controllers to people
    Classic Console Freeplay - Pretty much the same thing
    Console Tournament - Handle tourney sign-ups and make sure players/teams are where they should be
    PC Security - Make sure none of the computers develop legs and walk out of the room when they shouldn't
    PC (Freeplay, Tournament & Spareboard) - See console, except you have to deal with computer availability
    BYOC - Check in other people's computers, participate in mini-tournaments and games with BYOC attendees, make sure they're stuff stays there
    Tabletop - See console
    Main Theatre - Line management and some backstage work
    Satellite Theatres - A combination of LM and logistical work for panel rooms that aren't the Main Theater
    Exhibition Hall - Help out exhibitors, mainly with LM
    Handheld Lounges - Another freeplay area, where people conveniently bring their own consoles
    Enforcer Welfare - Help make sure other Enforcers stay on their feet the whole weekend by keeping them properly fed/hydrated/rested
    Special Rooms - Areas that doesn't fall into any of the above
    Spareboard (extra staff, you might end up doing anything)
    Info Booth - They've got questions, you've got answers (this is also where I've worked the past two PAX)

There are other roles, but they are either invite only or require certain credentials. For example, we have a small security team that coordinates with venue security for any major issues, but they mainly come from law enforcement/security backgrounds and are hand-picked.

tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
  • vjreddy12vjreddy12 NSW, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

vjreddy12 wrote: »
    I could've sworn I posted a list of all of the departments here, but for the life of me I can't find it. All that stuff will definitely be in the [E] forum though.

Here - That thread has some good info in it as well.
    DISCLAIMER: These all based off of how East and Prime run, Aus could be handled differently

Setup: Wednesday and Thursday setup is not mandatory, but highly encouraged. Your only requirements for Enforcing are working your assigned shifts, which is typically the same 6 hour shift on Fri/Sat/Sun. As far as setup goes, Enforcers are involved with setting up freeplay areas, doing line prep work, assisting exhibitors in the expo hall, checking in other Enforcers, some A/V work (although that's mainly handled by the venue staff). The bulk of the efforts go into setting up the PC/Console/Tabletop freeplay rooms. And yes, there is a lot of setup/teardown involved in a PAX.

I think it makes more sense to continue these chats in that thread and let this move into the history books.

vjreddy12 on
    tumblr_onhxy5XYP31sb6xu3o1_100.png
    edited May 2013
    Email received at 3:45 am, called it! :p

I guess we have to wait another night to get our enforcer forum accounts approved. Bummer.

EDIT: No, it happened today! See you there! (Kellamity)

Brunhilde on
    anniversary-8.png
  • PsykarPsykar Programmer Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have enforcer forum access! Was just approved!
    Someone must be having a late night over in Seattle.

I guess we have to wait another night to get our enforcer forum accounts approved. Bummer.

My access was approved within about 10 minutes (just happened then)

edited May 2013
    Yep, I'm in. Reading All The Things.
    Threads for Sydney and Melbourne gatherings are already up. Looking forward to seeing all the Sydney folks IRL in the next few weeks.

smerk on
  • FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    could you let me know what the @domain.com address was, im still waiting on mine (access to forums that is) sometimes my spam protection gets adventurous.
    D4M14N wrote: »
    My access was approved within about 10 minutes (just happened then)

FatSoDa on
    [E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    FatSoDa wrote: »
    could you let me know what the @domain.com address was, im still waiting on mine (access to forums that is) sometimes my spam protection gets adventurous.

The instructions to sign up for the forums came from Kristin (same person who sent me the enforcer acceptance email) once you follow the instructions she gives you you just have to wait to be approved.

• FatSoDaFatSoDa Professor Doctor AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've resent to Kristin, she's probably quite busy. I would say insanely so, i can wait... <gnaws on arm>

FatSoDa on
    [E]nforcing it Like I stole it
    paxaus.gif

PAX Aus Enforcer
    edited May 2013
    Lol, I'm with FatSoDa on this one. Haven't received anything yet, but I'll wait a little longer before emailing. :) It's totally not driving me nuts that I'm not on there yet...

Malyanan on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    They are likely being individually processed.

• HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    Yeah seems like they are, only took about 15 minutes to go through though.

steamid: sewersider
  • NeelyNeely AustraliaRegistered User new member
    edited May 2013
    I've made it through to the forums, but it seems that none of the discussion categories are not showing up for me. Is anyone else having this problem, because I'd love to get into the conversation.

Neely on
  • Utopia137Utopia137 Registered User regular
    You need to wait for activation it would seem my account is the same and has been since about 7am this morning i guess kristin will activate us once she has a free moment, she seems to do stuff around 10pm-2am.