As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camelot Unchained] CSE back in the office

1246710

Posts

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    They'll make funding. I don't remember the statistics, but the bulk of funding for a kickstarter always comes in from the last few days.

    Really? Most of the kickstarters I have watched seemed like they got the largest chunk of funding in the first 24 hours.

    Maybe the high profile ones, but there are probably hundreds of thousands of kickstarters.

  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I have always liked the unique designs of character races in DAoC and just what Marc Jacobs and his team come up with. Scrolling down a bit are concepts for a very unique race called the St'rm. Fucking brilliant design.

    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?177279-Camelot-Unchained-characters

    What purpose, exactly, do butt wings fill?

    Grey Paladin
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It says right in the concept art the wings fold down as "dress cover." It's like a dragon wing skirt. Looks just like Elise from League of Legends to be honest, except a dragon humanoid instead of a spider one. I was expecting more when I clicked it after he said brilliant design for a new race, but I don't think it's bad or anything.

  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    I have always liked the unique designs of character races in DAoC and just what Marc Jacobs and his team come up with. Scrolling down a bit are concepts for a very unique race called the St'rm. Fucking brilliant design.

    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?177279-Camelot-Unchained-characters

    What purpose, exactly, do butt wings fill?

    Aesthetics.
    :winky:

    Axen
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    I have always liked the unique designs of character races in DAoC and just what Marc Jacobs and his team come up with. Scrolling down a bit are concepts for a very unique race called the St'rm. Fucking brilliant design.

    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?177279-Camelot-Unchained-characters

    What purpose, exactly, do butt wings fill?

    Aesthetics.
    :winky:

    Oh.

    Oooh.

    OOOOOH!
    :winky:

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I wonder how successful crunch time will be. I upped my pledge again, and I suspect many others are doing it too, but he real question is will it be enough.

    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure it's jumped about 120K in the past few days so it's still possible... I sure as hell hope so at least.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Roughly $250K to go. If they are really close this time tomorrow I'll up my pledge.

  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    TBH, I think the KS could have gone a thousand times smoother. Maybe it's me, but it started really strong, and I feel like Marc Jacobs felt all, "oh, yeah, I got this" but you should have an easy to reach fund- but with meaningful and important stretch goals really leading the bulk of the endeavor. He mentioned also in a Youtube video that if it doesn't fund, he may try again in a month or two... Dude! That's not how you panhandle.

  • spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    I really don't want to get caught up in another subscription MMO again... with a subscription it makes me feel obligated to play or I have the sense of throwing away money. BUT, I really liked DAoC and this game has promise. The problem I am having right now is, should I pay $250 for a "lifetime subscription" now and pray that it is worth playing more than a few months... or should I just wait for it to come out and hope that it is not good enough to want to play for more than a few month?

    I am torn, please help me!

    steam_sig.png
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    No way I would put down $250 on a game this early, but I guess it depends on how much money you have to burn.

    I'm pretty disappointed this will be subscription based. An MMO would have to utterly blow me away to get me to pay a subscription these days. It does say that it will be lower than current subs, so maybe that it something. Makes lifetime sub less attractive though.

    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I still have my doubts that this will come to any real fruition. I'll gladly spring for the box when it comes out if it doesn't suck.

    What is this I don't even.
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    spitfirek wrote: »
    I really don't want to get caught up in another subscription MMO again... with a subscription it makes me feel obligated to play or I have the sense of throwing away money. BUT, I really liked DAoC and this game has promise. The problem I am having right now is, should I pay $250 for a "lifetime subscription" now and pray that it is worth playing more than a few months... or should I just wait for it to come out and hope that it is not good enough to want to play for more than a few month?

    I am torn, please help me!

    To be fair, GW2 is FTP after the initial buy and I just don't get as attached to it because I can come and go when I please where as when I resub to an older MMO, like DAoC, Camelot or a few others, they quickly become nostalgia flavor of the month (or two). Because I am spending my money, and frankly, others are too, I am getting the kind of players that are actually interested and not just bums who bumble about.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/spam-and-kickstarter-how-fans-of-camelot-unchained-made-sure-the-press-woul

    Well, looks like Ben did you guys a big favor right at the end. I imagine this should be enough exposure to get you guys funded.

    Even if it meant being an enormous douchebag about the entire thing. But that's just Ben being Ben.



    Vi Monks
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I didn't realize the fanbase was doing that. That's... disheartening.

  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    It's not really. If people get excited about something, they're going to try to get more exposure to it. And as a "real journalist" in the gaming industry, it's something Ben will have to deal with.

    Using the PA Report as a platform to mock and lash out at game fans is NOT what Penny Arcade is about, and I'm pretty disgusted that he chose to use it as such. Penny Arcade should be a positive environment where people of all stripes come together, not get broken down and torn apart.

    And this is coming from a guy who (if you read my previous posts) didn't contributed, and honestly fully expected the Kickstarter to fail. But I think what Ben did was crossed a line that shouldn't have been cross and he definitely owes the Camelot Unchained community an apology. He even had the comments thread locked, instead of taking full responsibility for what he wrote. He had to expect that people were going to comment on it from both sides, and I think he may have been honestly shocked when so many people came down on him for being a jerk about it. I honestly believe he's just using the "hurr, now random Camelot people are making accounts to post and attack me" as an excuse.

    All in all, very, very poor behavior on his part.

  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I agree with him though, if you're a fan and are wanting websites to cover a game, you should send a personal email and explain why you'd like them to. Not send out a stock email somebody typed for you, because when 20 people send the same one to the same email, they're going to get ignored and just annoy the person, like he said.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh I absolutely agree that it was written in poor taste, but I think that they should have used a better means of communication as Joshmvii said. A personal email urging them to cover the KS would have been much more effective than the same thing received 100 times a day.

    At the same time I can see where you're coming from iron. I mean if they are getting many, many emails about the game then maybe they should look into it.

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Isn't his job to report on games? I don't care if shitloads of people email you a lot about a game. Maybe you should do your job and maybe not throw a tantrum about it?

    Seems appropriate:
    215472893_tU6vc-L-2.jpg

    Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah, then closed the comments section.

  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A game journalist's job is not to report on 100% of the games that may or may not exist, especially kickstarter projects that haven't even reached their funding. His point was organizing a spam campaign, which is what he describes is a stupid way to get journalists to cover the game you like. Personal emails are fine, but some guy on kickstarter going "Here's an email I typed, everybody send it to all these email addresses" just means the journalists gets 100 emails that are all identical.

    Joshmvii on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I don't know, maybe say 'oh hey there's a spiritual successor to DAOC, which was pretty popular, out there maybe go help it out if you liked DAOC.' rather than 'I'm not going to talk about this just because you made me mad.'

    It's just like when I go to Subway for lunch and there's a lot of people in there and the workers are all visibly pissed off that we all had the audacity to want sandwiches at lunchtime. How dare we expect them to make us sandwiches!

    EDIT: I want to clarify that I think both parties handled this poorly.

    Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    urahonky
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    That analogy is not apt. Again, a games journalist is not obligated to write an article about every game that exists, especially not ones that don't actually exist. I guarantee they'd report on it if this had been a hugely successful kickstarter that met its funding right away and had some momentum.

    Instead, it's one that isn't even guaranteed to finish getting funded, so it's actually pretty pointless to write a story about it. Let's be real here. Any fans of DAoC who would be willing to put down money on something that isn't even developed yet already knows about this kickstarter. If somebody doesn't know about it by now, they're not the guy who's going to fund it.

    He's right about the spamming though. He's just telling people "Hey, you need to be personal with your requests to see things covered, because spamming is annoying and doesn't work." If the precedent is set that spamming a stock email to every website is the way to get them to report on something you like, then suddenly that's what everybody is doing, and then every website has no credibility because we all know the only reason they report on something is because a bunch of fans of it sent them spam emails, instead of them actually playing games and doing research on the stuff they write about.

    Games journalism already has a sketchy reputation for good reason.

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Again, a games journalist is not obligated to write an article about every game that exists

    I disagree with this. I especially disagree when it's a game shitloads of people have suggested you report on and you don't just because they told you to. But I don't think we really need to press it further.

    In my opinion, what it all boils down to is that both parties acted really unprofessional here. That's my biggest takeaway.

    Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    One thing everyone is confused about and is brought up regularly:

    Mark has said this a couple times, this is not the spiritual successor or the sequel to Dark age. I have a feeling that people who are pledging and are going to be in beta are going to be let down by Camelot Unchained not having the characteristics of Dark age.

    Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    You think every game that has been conceived needs to be written about by every single games journalist? Not only the ones that have actually been made, but also just the ones that are part of a kickstarter that may or may not even reach its funding? I think that's ridiculous, but you're entitled to your own opinion.

    He didn't say journalists wouldn't write about the game because "shitloads of people suggested your report on it." He said journalists wouldn't write about it because instead of writing personal requests to see the game reported on explaining why, they sent a spam email that somebody else wrote for them, and made the journalists realize if they chose to write about it they'd be setting a precedent that what they write about will be determined by who can spam them the most with the same email asking for it.

    He's exactly right. There's a reason Jacobs told the kickstarter fans to cool it.

  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I honestly hope this doesn't get funded. Mark Jacobs has annoyed me for years, and the fan base around this game has been so incredibly rabid. As fun as this game would be, the community around it is ridiculous.

    And everyone is afraid of kickstarter. No game blog wants to start feeling obliged to report on every stupid game kickstarter that gets going. This one has been touch and go for awhile, and it's in a sea of immense, NEW ideas for games. Kickstarter brings out the worst in gamers.

    Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I feel like 100s maybe 1000s of personal requests would have gone unheeded for similar reasons, but that may be because I'm overly pessimistic & cynical.
    I've stated my opinion and I don't really feel like I have anything else to add to this part of the conversation, nor am I particularly interested in arguing.

    Moving on: I'm not really expecting this to be DAOC but shinier, but come on. This is a spiritual successor whether they care to own up to it or not; at least from everything I've seen so far.

    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah, then closed the comments section.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I honestly hope this doesn't get funded. Mark Jacobs has annoyed me for years, and the fan base around this game has been so incredibly rabid. As fun as this game would be, the community around it is ridiculous.

    Haha, okay.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I know a few of my DAoC friends are really hesitant on backing the game because it's strictly RvR. I don't know why they are worried about that because the only time we had fun in the game was when we were killing albs.

  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Holy crap, 62k to go.

    That escalated quickly.

    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wow, I honestly didn't see that jump coming... Maybe I'll up my pledge when I get home.

  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I can't believe anybody would dislike the fact that it's all RvR. That was the good part of DAoC. The PvE was garbage. I'm very skeptical they can make an MMO worth playing with this amount of money anyway, though maybe just keeping it just to RvR will aid that.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    I can't believe anybody would dislike the fact that it's all RvR. That was the good part of DAoC. The PvE was garbage. I'm very skeptical they can make an MMO worth playing with this amount of money anyway, though maybe just keeping it just to RvR will aid that.

    I agree. PvE was just there to get you going into RvR.

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Yeah the leveling treadmill was downright awful in DAoC. I was so happy when they added BGs and then later add XP to them. The idea of a pure crafting class really intrigues me as well.

    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Looks like it'll definitely get funded. I'm pretty excited by this but will have to wait a few years for it. :P

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Looks like Ben helped out after all.

  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm not really sure I understand the Founders Points. Is the number you get finite based on how much you chipped in?

    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Founder points are given depending on your pledge. You can also purchase more founder points after your pledge, as a secondary pledge.

    Founder points are able to be traded for some unique in game features, such as claiming your name early, getting a unique gravestone, and purchasing all expansions in the future of the game.

    oHw5R0V.jpg
    urahonky
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So it just passed 2 mil. Game is backed. Camelot Unchained is go.

    u7stthr17eud.png
    urahonkyVi Monks
Sign In or Register to comment.